Old 07-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #16  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Ebplus 3,
In induction, Atkins says not to eat carrots because they have sugar in them.
These are the veggies that you can eat at 3 cups per day: radishes, cucumbers, bell pepper, celery, arugula, mushrooms, chives, alfalfa sprouts, jicama, romaine, sorrel, parsely, endive, daikon, escarole, bok choy, and chicory.

These you can have at 1 cup per day:
artichoke hearts, asparagus, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, broccolio rabe, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery root, chard, collard greens, dandelion greens, eggplant, hearts of palm, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, okra, onion, pumkin, rhubarb, sauerkraut, scallions, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, string or wax beans, summer squash, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts, and zucchini.

Garnishs for salads: Crumbled bacon, grated cheese, minced hard-boiled egg, sauteed mushrooms, sour cream.
Decaf coffee with heavy cream and splenda.

These are all during the induction phase.
I hope this helps you!
You can do it!!!
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #17  
Mrs. Determined

Ooops, not to mention all the meats, poultry, seafood and pork you can eat.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #18  

Aaah...yes....I've heard about fitday alot. I will check it out. I counted the green bell peppers and carrots as only 1 carb because I literally barely had any in there so, for example, the bell peppers are 3.4 carbs for 1/2 C but I had less than a 1/4 cup that's why I counted it as one. I use the Atkins carb counter as my reference. I couldn't find iceberg lettuce though so I used what it said for romaine....maybe it's not the same? Either way...I'm going to sign up on fit day. Thank you everybody for all your great responses!!!
ebplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #19  

oops! I didn't see these lasts posts when I posted my last one! lol. I think I need to pay more attention to how much of the veggies I'm eating. As in which ones I can have one cup of vs. 3 cups of. So...what about iceberg lettuce? Does that fall under the 3 cups/day?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #20  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Any kind of lettuce is fine. the darker green ones are just slightly more nutritious. And the tiny bit of raw carrot you had on your salad isnt going to hurt either. I'm not as strict with the veggies as I could be and it hasnt stoped me from losing.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #21  
My body in 6 mos!

S/C/G: 161/See Ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Is this like Somersize?

Hello, is there anywhere on 3FC where they discuss the Somersize program?

Thanks!
deedee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #22  

Hi Everyone! Today is day 4 for me and I am feeling MUCH better (the headaches and dizziness are 95% gone!). Whew! That was horrible! Anyway, I bought the ketostix and checked one last night and it was in the lightest color. I'll check again tonight though.

Anyway, I was on fitday trying to log my food for this morning and I was having the hardest time finding a couple of foods. I had sauteed fresh, raw onions and mushrooms in a little butter and I kept seeing "mature onions" (whatever those are) and boiled onions or mushrooms. I ended up just looking at atkins carb counter. I estimated 1 C of raw mushrooms (that cooked down to about 1/2 C to be 2 carbs and 1/3 of an onion (raw) to be 2.5 carbs. I sauteed them both in butter so I counted the whole thing as 4.5 carbs (I ate them with a chicken breast). Does that sound about right?
Old 07-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #23  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I'm on Day 4 too eb - feeling great and glad you're better!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #24  

Thanks! cool...we can do this together! Have you used the ketostix? Do you know that you're in ketosis? I see that you've lost 3 lbs...that's great! I haven't weighed myself yet. I'm going to on Sunday when it's been one week.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #25  

Azure, your posts and blog are very inspiring!

I am going to start an Atkins-like approach, actually the European version of Atkins, called The New High Protein Diet by Charles Clark, an endocrinologist from Scotland. I have his book on order from amazon. It takes about a month for delivery, but I found a web article outlining his diet in detail and it's perfect for me. I think this approach may be more suitable to me than Atkins, because I like my caffeine (drink a ton of tea every day), and also you start off right away being able to eat from a list of unlimited low starch veg. Curiously, I am a vegetable junkie and measuring out 2 cups of lettuce just doesn't cut it for me. Other than that, the two plans are very similar.

Anyway, thanks for posting your menus and giving out such helpful information about lowcarbing. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread!
SherylJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #26  
aud
lc lifestyle

The 3 lbs were an accident, eb! Chalked up to living on Bud Light and a lot of Camp Out on the River Activity. I weighed 248 when I left on vacay and 245 when we returned - go figure. Started Atkins (again) Monday the 16th.

I'm w/i for the first time tonight when I get to work (medical scale) - I usually don't work Saturdays - so normally will be checking my weight on Fridays.

Would love to have a big drop - (clothes fitting different already!) . . . but will focus on how great I feel energy wise if for some reason there isn't - there's always next week - right?
Old 07-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #27  
aud
lc lifestyle

PS: I've never used or worried much about ketosis sticks/ketosis, eb. I just go by how I feel - which is great when I enter it. I DO have a dry mouth when I get in it - so I just drink lots of water 'cause most breath type things have hidden carbs. I think tic tacs are the lowest breath remedy aren't they?
Old 07-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #28  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Hi, I'm a little over 2 mos. into Atkins. I did better after I switched from non-dairy creamer to heavy cream, and I do better with NO aspartame at all. I loves me my coffee, though. YHansen's no-cal soda uses Splenda. Anybody know of any others? I've read every diet soda label I could find! I stalled for a while. I joined a gym a week ago, have done 20 min. on redumbant biycle 3x/week (I plan to work my way up to 30 min 5x/wk), andf dropped 2 lbs this week. Hooray! Atkins energy, yeah!
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #29  
Mrs. Determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing View Post
Hi, I'm a little over 2 mos. into Atkins. I did better after I switched from non-dairy creamer to heavy cream, and I do better with NO aspartame at all. I loves me my coffee, though. YHansen's no-cal soda uses Splenda. Anybody know of any others? I've read every diet soda label I could find! I stalled for a while. I joined a gym a week ago, have done 20 min. on redumbant biycle 3x/week (I plan to work my way up to 30 min 5x/wk), andf dropped 2 lbs this week. Hooray! Atkins energy, yeah!
Diet Rite soda has no sugar, it has splenda, no caffine, and no calories. It comes on different flavors. Cola, orange, rapsberri and my favorite, white grape.
It's good!
Old 07-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #30  
Mrs. Determined

Sorry my spelling is bad, just polished my nails! hehe.