Old 07-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #31  

Thanks for the support ladies!! Now if I could just get myself lazy bum off the couch and exercise!! actually it's not so much that I'm lazy, my knees, feet and hip hurt later in the day or the next day after I exercise (usually walking). I've been trying to get in the pool as much as possible since that doesn't seem to cause as much pain afterwards. I know it's all because I'm so overweight and as I lose weight it probably won't hurt as much...it's just trying to get myself to that point. Guess I just have to grin and bear it for a while.

I was wondering if any of you have tried the Alli that just came out along with your low carb plan. My doctor mentioned/suggested it to me the other day. so I was wondering if anyone else had tried it and what your thoughts or experiences were.

TGIF!! Hope everyone has a great weekend.

LeiAn
SunChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #32  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

I don't think taking alli while on Atkins would be the best of ideas. From what I understand of it, alli causes you to not digest a lot of the fat you eat--meaning that the fat just passes through and is expelled when you go to the bathroom. So it's really geared more toward low-fat diets...because you might, uh, have "accidents" if you don't lower the fat content you eat.

Since this way of eating actually encourages you to make sure you're eating ENOUGH fat, it just sounds like using alli while doing Atkins would be asking for humiliation. But I may be wrong, because I haven't tried it.

Last edited by callystia; 07-13-2007 at 12:13 PM.
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #33  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

LeiAn, I think taking Alli while on Atkins would necessitate you changing your whole food plan. Since with Atkins, it is common to eat a lot of protein, cheese, full fat sour cream, salad dressings and such. All of these things and Plenty of others would kick the Alli in and cause an embarassing bowel problem (I would think). Atkins is most definitely not a lowfat plan. But, the good news is you lost 10lbs. and are doing great with Atkins, so IMHO, I would just stick to Atkins.

The rain finally cleared briefly yesterday and we went swimming again. I did laps for an hr. My arms are feeling a little sore this morning. I'm starting to get an actual suntan. Unfortunately, it's now raining again. I cannot remember ever having this many weeks of rain in a row before.

Today will be spent struggling to get back 100% on plan with eating after a planned indulgence of pizza last night. I'm waiting now for the girls to wake up so we can go to the bank, drop off bills at post office and go grocery shopping. It is dang hard to stick 100% on plan when I need more food in the house. This morning I ate 1/2 of a SBD breakfast bar and it tasted like crap to me. But, my coffee is great as usual. LOL
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #34  

Thanks for the replies re: Alli. I was kind of thinking those same thoughts but wanted to pick everyone's brain to see if I got a different opinion. I can definately do without those side effects. Although I did read on the Alli website msg board a msg from either a doctor or a dietician that takes the Orlistat/Xenical and does low carb and said it worked great for them. I, like you, think it would cause problems.
SunChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:05 PM   #35  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Peeked at virgin fat territory this morning. I will not post it until I see it again. that may be a while as I leave sunday for camping and well who knows. I think I am prepared but I will not be able to tell until i get there. hitting the virgin fat area will hopefully be incentive to stay OP atl east most of the time.

Virgin fat is where I was 2 years ago for a brief moment in time, and the evf is the extra virgin fat where I was in spring of 2002. (had not seen that since 1990 before that time) and then proceded to gain after that. so I am getting there. slow but hard work.

My son asked for subs for dinner. (I cooked chicken thighs with bbq sause on it.) I told him I could not eat that as I was allergic to bread. he laughed at me and said he has seen me eat bread. I told him I know but every time I eat a lot of bread I get fat. he shut up then and stopped harassing me.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 AM   #36  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunChick View Post

I was wondering if any of you have tried the Alli that just came out along with your low carb plan. My doctor mentioned/suggested it to me the other day. so I was wondering if anyone else had tried it and what your thoughts or experiences were.

TGIF!! Hope everyone has a great weekend.

LeiAn
Hi LeiAn, Im taking it. I am doing a lowcarb weight watchers....While I dont think it would be good to take alli when you are on induction....Im not having any problems taking alli even with a higher fat diet than what is recommended on the labeling. I also take a fibre supplement, and I really think that helps alot too. But I love how it works!!!!

I also wouldnt rely on the alli message board!!!!! What some of those women are doing are not recommended! Check out the alli support forum in general diets here on 3fc.

As for the effects, its really not as bad as some of them are saying (for me anyway) Im on a routine now, and when I have eaten a large fat filled meal, I know that the next morning I need to use the facilities right after eating breakfast and eating lunch. Sometimes 2 or 3 x, but then Im good for the day.

If you know anyone already taking it, offer to buy 3 days worth of pills from them just to try. It takes about 2 days to start to notice any difference in your bm's. That way you arent putting out $50 for something you may not like.

Well, thats my 2cents....hope it helps.

if you want to see what Ive been eating ....check my blog. Ive been keeping pretty good track of my food intake there. That will give you an idea as to what Ive been eating, how low carb its been. The only time Ive have alli giving me intense "treatment effects" is when I eat stuff like subs, and after eating out. But again....its not bad enough to stop taking it.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #37  
lilybelle

Hi ladies, I spent 4 hrs. swimming at the pool today. I used my #8 sunscreen protection. Apparently it wasn't enough, as my back and shoulders are pretty darn red. I did get lots of laps in and it felt really good. Now, I'll be nursing a sunburn for a day or two. My next swim day planned is on Tuesday and I hope I'm OK by then.

Last night it rained all evening. I managed to walk 2 miles on my treadmill. So my exercise has at least been pretty consistent even if my eating is not perfect.

Robin, I'm glad to see you aren't having a problem with Alli. I actually have considered taking it to be able to get to my "secret goal" of 135. But, I'd have to hide it from DH as he would throw a fit. He tells me all the time that I "look great and definitely don't need to lose more wt.". Just being sensible, I think since I'm on all the liver med's, I should at least ask my hepatologist before I tried it. What do you think?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #38  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Well, Id ask the dr. but Im not sure if alli would even effect your meds. The alli works in the intestine, so anything you shouldnt be effected by the alli. BUT, if you are having alot of what they call "treatment effects" then its running everything right thru your system, and you arent absorbing what you need to. They suggest you pay attention to effects if you are taking birth control pills. Because if you are eating alot of fats, everything seems to get pushed thru, and your pills dont get a chance to absorb, I think if I remember correctly, along with your vitamins....that you should also take b/c pills before bed. Maybe that might be a good option? But I'd check just to make sure, I wouldnt want you to mess with your liver, especially when you have trouble with it.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #39  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Hi everyone!
This morning I made that 1 minute muffin and I don't know if I made it right, but I thought it had a weird taste to it.
It seemed to me like the egg was a little to much for the little amount of flax meal.
It looked and smelled good, but it tasted like a sweet egg mixture.
I think I may try it again tomorrow.
FitinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #40  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Ladies, I hope you’re all having a great weekend.
I'm still hangin' in there. I allso mannaged to get a sun burn yesteday.
I was prescribed orlistat (alli) about 6 years ago but was to afraid to take it. I have a lot of stomach/intestinal problems already, but have thought about it a lot since then. I may try it in the future if I cant lose all my weight without it. I really appreciate people sharing their experiences with it, especially in combination with a low carb diet.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #41  
lilybelle

Thanks for the info. Robin about Alli. I had heard it works in the intestine so I thought maybe it might be Ok for me to take. Just to be safe, I think I'll ask my doctor though. I always have such horrible problems with constipation, it might actually help me. LOL.

I'm so happy to say my son is coming home from California tonite (where he's been for his summer Army training). I can't wait to see him.

I'm so sunburned it sure made sleeping Very uncomfortable. My exercise has been going well, but I still need to get the eating back 100%. Wt. is 146 lbs. this morning, so now 1 lb. over goal. I'm trying to at least get back down to 141 to give myself a little "wiggle room".
Old 07-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #42  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Hi Everyone!! Long time no "see!" Have enjoyed catching up with old friends and already feel like I "know" the new faces here at Atkins.

Updated my profile and see I haven't been here since March - and think even that was brief. Basically I've tried a few other plans while "away" with some really disastrous results! When I left Atkins, I see that I was down to 228 from my all time high of 245. You can see I've got a new all time high of 248! After the birth of my 9 year old I did Atkins and lost around 80-90 pounds - felt great and wasn't that hard to do--that's why I'm back and resolved.

Menopause is still giving me FITS - these hormone swings/mood swings make the self medicating with carbs that much more difficult and just like those one commercials - all the weight is in the mid section! I feel like I sould be able to lose a ton in hot flashes alone! lol.

Hope to check in at least once a "day" - still on that night shift so it will prolly be around 3am-ish.

Tx for being here!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:16 PM   #43  
lilybelle

Aud, welcome back, we've missed you. I can definitely relate to the hot flashes. I bet I pull covers on and throw them off again 20 times each night. DH complains that I burn him up with throwing the covers on him all the time. LOL.

Aud, have faith that you are back here now and will triumph over this weight. We are here to support you anytime you need. Hugs.

I just worked 2 hrs. in my garden. We've had so much rain lately that it was starting to look really bad. It is so dang hot out there. I'm taking a cooling off break now and will go work some more in it later this evening when it cools off some more. I had so many tomatoes, squash, green beans and corn on the cob to pull today that I had to send a bunch of it to work with DH to give away. Tonites dinner will be grilled chicken and tons of fresh veggies from my garden.