Old 09-16-2006, 04:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default eating good is making me feel bad why?

I just started a new diet last sunday. I started eating mainly fruits and veggies. Like today I had a bowl of peach oatmeal, 2 apples, a bananna, big salad and a taco salad for dinner with soy bean burger. I have been using fit day and staying around 1200 cals. Since starting I am tired and sleep more, I have diarrhea (sorry) and around 3 or 4 between lunch and dinner I get kinda light headed, nauseated and weak. Yesterday I was in walmart and started feeling that way but I was freezing and sweaty (the cold sweat only happened one time). I havent heard of anyone whos been sick. Plus after I have dinner I'm fine. I have 9pds in since I started. Could I be losing to fast and thats doing it? Please let me know what you think? Kelly
babyfattimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think what happening sounds like blood sugar fluctuations (no I'm not a doctor) If you have suddenly cut your food back very drastically, your body will give you a hard time. It doesn't like change. Changing your food suddenly can cause diarrhea too.
Try adding some protein (an egg, low fat cottage cheese, a tin of tuna etc) and space your feedings out so that you are eating something every couple of hours. Protein should help keep you fuller and keep your blood sugar more stable for a while.
Also 1200 cals might be pretty low for you to start. How about trying 1800 for a while.
Keep in touch here and we'l coach you along.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I agree with Susan -- if you weigh 260 pounds and are eating only 1200 calories that is not enough for your body!!!!!!! 1200 might work for people who weigh a lot less, but the more you weigh, the more calories it takes you to do anything.

I started at 295 and lost on 2000 cals/day. Even now (at 188) I try to keep it under 1800 calories/day and, with exercise, am still losing. At my weight, if I wanted to be more serious about losing more than a pound a week I should probably be at 1500-1600 calories/day.

Eating more protein can help -- I'd also add white meat chicken and turkey to the list, as well as reduced fat cheese (or even a small portion of the full fat stuff).
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #4  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I aggree here, not to mention, adding additional fiber to your diet will normally cause diarrhea. Your body does have to adjust. A lot of people report feeling tired when they first change things, you could also be going through a form of detox depending on how bad your diet was before. It wouldn't hurt to give yourself more rest for a while.

I know you said you don't know anyone that is sick, but there is still a chance that you could be coming down with something.

Up the calories and protein, drink lots of water. Maybe some bananas would help with the diarrhea.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #5  

Thanks everyone. I will up the protien and calories. I just had a truck load of stress in my life and dealt with it by overeating. I ate till I was uncomfortably full and then eat more! My diet was very poor especially the last month. So it could be the drastic change too. Kelly
Old 09-16-2006, 10:57 AM   #6  

Ditto to all of the above. Maybe this will give you some perspective:

I started with portion control when I was somewhere a little over 300, and started logging calories when I was in the 260's because I plateaued and wanted to see what was going on. I was honest with myself, and I was shocked to see that even with watching portions and cutting out fast food I was still eating almost 3000/day. God only knows what I was eating before that--I lied to myself so much.

When I started counting to lose weight, I actually AIMED FOR (get this) 2500 and still lost more than a pound a week, steadily.

Now I'm in the high 230's and eating about 2300, though I aim for 2000. I've only recently started hovering in the same spot on the scale, for the last month or so, though officially I'm down two pounds the last four weeks (but I'm not convinced it's for real)--so I'm going to actually exercise every day and stick to the 2000 more religiously.

I'm thinking of zig-zagging 1800 some days and 2200 when I don't have quite as much control over my environment.

Bottom line: Some of us are big girls--we gotta eat or our bodies are gonna get really ticked!

BTW--If you've lost 31 lbs already, why are you looking to change your calorie intake drastically? Seems like you were doing okay--is there an emotional component here that might throw you off track even more than the technical diet stuff?
luvmypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #7  

I will definitly up my calories. I want to change my eating habits for life to take it off and keep it of I dont want to yo yo any more.
I ignored my weight for my years, I was in denial I still felt thin till I hit 290. A year ago I started exercising and dieting and lost 20 pds then over the course of the year I bounced from 280 to 250 up and down up and down. I was tring to eat the same junk but not as much so I was always hungry and the diets always failed. So now I have decided to just eat healthier so I can eat more and not be hungry all the time. I actually eat alot now but its fresh fruits and veggies.
So long story short 290 is my highest weight I lost the 20 pds a year ago and 11 in the last week.
Kelly
Old 09-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

I was going to pretty much say the same thing... 1200 calories is not enough at that weight; and you need to add some protein. I have been eating around 1800 (at my doctor's advice) and it is working. And I do quite a bit of exercise.

Hope you are able to find something that works for you!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/174.8/132

Height: 5' 4"

The same thing was happening to me, I was eating healthier and exercising and was getting diarrhea like crazy. someone told me my body was adjusting to the new routine. Then was afraid to eat anything, but tried to add some bananas and other foods like more protein and that did help.I am much better now. thanks for sharing, I thought I was alone.
loveandlaughalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:47 PM   #10  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Oh my goodness, 11 pounds in a week?
I'm so glad you decided to up your calories. Anytime you lose that much weight in such a short amount of time, one of two things (or both together), is happening...
you are either losing a serious amount of water weight, leading to possible dehydration and a myriad of other problems associated with your electrolyte levels
and/or you are losing muscle mass, which in the long run will make you weaker, up your body fat percentage, and slow your metabolism
It's not possible to lose that much FAT in a week's time, so it's very understandable that you felt so bad!
It's normal to feel a little sluggish, and maybe even have a headache, for the first few days when you are cutting out sugars and starches for a drastic change, but dizziness, nausea, and cold sweats aren't. I hope you are feeling better today, and best of luck to ya!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:15 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well I would have to add here that for the FIRST week it would not have been that unusual for me to lose 11 pounds... at first the water weight goes, etc. I can also easily gain 20 pounds in a week. Now if you kept UP losing at that rate it would be of concern IMO. But it does sound as if you are adjusting your eating to be of more proper balance. Good for you.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 213/213/139

Height: 5'7"

When I started to adhere to a strict diet, 3 meals a day, etc., I was getting major headaches, cold sweats and dizzy spells, I spoke to my doctor and he recommended eating every two hours and I go in on Tuesday to have my blood sugar levels checked. So try snacking it helped me alot. I either grab a piece of fruit or cheese, or eat half a meal and then finish it in a few hours. There are many ways of eating frequently although I have to say I aim for every three hours and still feel like I am eating too much.
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:33 PM   #13  

1200 calories is too low for most people, I don't think its the food I think your caloric intake is too low however I am not a doctor but I know I could not make it on 1200 calories
buffedstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:07 AM   #14  

My advice is the same as everyone else's: try eating more. 1200 is the minimum I can possibly eat and not be starving. Most days I'm around 1500 and I'm quite active but have always needed a bit less food than most people.
Flying Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #15  

Thanks all!!!!!! I have been eating more and I'm feeling much better. I feel like Im over eating but it takes alot of fruits and veggies to get up there. lol I should have mentioned I am also a vegetarian. Other wise adding a little meat would up it fast but that isnt going to happen. Kelly