Old 01-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Cool I'm not Starving...Are you?

*This is not a other diet bashing post*

A coworker today told me she was starving. She said she was on the South Beach Diet and she had to rid her body of carbs for the next few weeks before she can start adding foods back in. I am not debating philosphy. To each his/her own. She said she has to starve for the next 3-4 weeks. There was a part of me that was thinking...I'm not starving and I'm on a "diet". I could never be on a diet where I felt starved. (not saying that's norm for South Beach just about people in general willing to feel starved over prolonged times).
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

I think your co-worker needs to read the South Beach Diet book again. Apparently she's not eating snacks? Maybe she skipped that chapter of the book. When we were doing the SBD, we definitely did NOT starve! And.. phase 1 is only for 1 or 2 weeks. (I can't remember that part.)

I know that I am certainly not starving eating up to 1860 calories a day. Most days it's around 1500. Heck, we're having hamburgers, beans and potato chips for supper tonight. (That extra lean 96% ground beef, light Italian buns and baked chips.)

Kimberly

PS. Due to the SBD, I learned that mashed cauliflower is GOOD!
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

SPD wouldn't be very popular if very many people had to starve on it.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #4  

No! Especially now that I started "eucalorics".

Sometimes in the afternoon I feel munchie but I can solve that with a tic tac.
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 AM   #5  
My Happy Place

Nope, not starving here either!! I had 1409 in calories yesterday, and I actually felt like I had overdone it.
I know what you mean though, it isn't the diet plan you are questioning, but rather someone's ability to feel deprived in order to lose weight- to me, that's a recipe for a big relapse. I've done SBD before, I felt very deprived. But, that's because I didn't take the time (didn't have the time in reality) to research recipes and truly examine the plan. So, I launched out on my own in a way, and I hated the diet. Later I checked into it more, and realized how much I hadn't known. I likely wouldn't have felt so deprived if I'd followed the real plan.

That being said, I do have to say that calorie counting is the first "diet" plan that I've ever used that is working perfectly for me. The weight is coming off in a reasonable way, and I do not feel deprived at all. With diets you have to be willing to make it a permanent lifestyle change, and counting calories is helping me learn portion sizes, so I know this is the plan for me!

Maybe you could gently advise your friend to dig deeper into the SBD plan?
DoingItForMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I can't say enough good about calorie counting either. I seriously can eat anything! I also have a range I would love to say I eat 1200 cals a day, but it's not true. I KNOW that I won't do much harm if I stray up to even 1800 or 2000 some days.
A useable plan that's flexible? Perfect!

No 'loser' should ever be starving.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #7  
Sink or Swim

Talking No starving here :)

I'm currently going through 'eucalorics', too. It's making total sense,
and I'm not 'starving'. I do, sometimes, go through little binges. But I account for it and adjust for it.
I like that the limitation aren't 'extreme'. If I want Hoho's, for breakfast, I can eat them and account for it. I don't fret, after the fact, that I ate them.

My DH is actually using the method, also. He is overweight and diabetic. He gets discouraged, very easily, on most eating plans because they are so limiting and really mess with his blood sugars.
I found out, though, that he took to heart what I was telling him, from the Calorie Queens book, and was actually watching his calories based on what I told him. He lost weight last week and then told me 'how he did it'.

Left feeling hungry? Only if I binged during the day ( which I don't feel the need for....)

Sorry to ramble....

Lori
Dizzimama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #8  

Height: 5'6"

Yep, I'm following the Calorie Queens book. Now I need to get my husband to realize that you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. He needs to lose about 60-70 pounds. Based on what he wants to weigh, he should be eating around 2300 calories. He just thinks that is WAY too much to eat. I think the main thing is to get him to be aware of the calorie factor when he eats. He only eats breakfast (on the run), lunch (leftovers) and dinner (what I make). He has two busy weeks of training coming up so I'm not going to discuss this with him until he's done with that. (He's training advanced something or other to mechanics on some sort of gigantic machine.) Anyhow.... I think what he really needs is to get active. He used to be on the road fixing Teragators and Rogators. Now he's in the corporate office and sits all day. Our plan is once my foot heals, we'll spend time in the basement every night on the treadmill and recumbent bike.

Okay, it's almost 9:00 AM here and I need to have my breakfast!

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #9  
My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
A useable plan that's flexible? Perfect!
That's one of the key reasons why I love it so much! I can go from 1400 calories- on which I feel satisfied- to 2,200 or 2,500 calories and still lose weight. I know that as I lose weight, I'll need to adjust that number to continue losing to my goal, but it will still always remain flexible. And once I get to my goal, maintenance can be attained by exercise, should I ever go too far over my daily calorie goal. I love it!
DoingItForMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #10  
This time for good!

Not starving here. I am staying roughly between 1200 and 1400 cals/daily with an occassional "binge" night out with 1600-1800 calories.
HappyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #11  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I'll bet if you deprive yourself of anything, you will starved. I imagine starting SBD is the hardest part, getting used to the lack of carbs that your body is used to. I tend to eat 1200-1300 calories (with, I'll admit, the occasional 1400 or 1500 Friday night). I find if I eat certain snacks or silly things that I am a little hungry, but if I pay attention and choose good things for myself, I won't be hungry at all.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with those who said your friend should read the SBD a little more closely (or at all). I did SBD for a while a few years ago, and Phase 1 (the almost NO carbs at all phase) is only supposed to last 2 weeks. Also, you can eat often if you are hungry--just not huge portions and no carbs (until Phase 2 when you incorporate some fruits and whole grains and such).

Actually, without carbs, I would think it would be HARD to feel hungry since you would be eating a LOT of protein, right? Something's not adding up.

Anyway, when I stick to my plan (which I haven't been lately--BAD Jill!), I sometimes am hungry for the first few days or so, but not all day and not to the point that I feel gross or anything. I know it is just my body adjusting to my new limits (I try to stay around 1800 cals a day--I know I'm way over that right now, though, so when I go back to plan, I will have a few "adjustment" days where I might feel hungry). However, that hunger really shouldn't ever last more than a couple of days--just until your stomach adjusts. I she is feeling hungry for longer periods of time, then I would think she's not eating enough, no matter what diet she is on (or thinks she's on, as may be the case ).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

There's also a difference between head hunger ... the munchies .... and actual stomach growling hunger.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #14  

I'm not hungry either. I sometimes find it hard to eat all my calories for the day...

I never thought I'd enjoy (yes, enjoy) counting calories. But, I do! It speaks to the very detailed oriented part of me and totally works with the part of me that hates to be told what I cannot eat. It puts me in charge and there's always some way that I can fit in my favorites so I never feel deprived.

bella25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #15  
2 forward, 1 back

I don't know anything about the SBD, but I know calorie counting is going to work for me because nothing is off limits. Permanently depriving myself of certain foods is just asking for trouble, in my case (possibly in the form of a binge). It's all about learning to eat smarter and in moderation.
bobbidipity is offline   Reply With Quote