Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #16  
I can do it!

S/C/G: 272/260/150

Height: 5'7 Age: 23

Haha! I am new to calorie counting myself. I was a big atkins/low carb dieter for a while but I didn't feel very well even though I was seeing the results I wanted.

I am now doing the LoseIt! app, it works fine for me. I am just being cautious about how much sugar I'm taking in, because a lot of times you will find low calorie but with tons of sugar...and sugar turns to fat! But you need sugar in your diet, just not...too much.

I'm still experimenting to see where this LoseIt thing will take me. After all, I hate diets. But it's all about watching quantity!
Bunnydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 175.6/173/135 & Fit

Height: 5ft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnydream View Post
Haha! I am new to calorie counting myself. I was a big atkins/low carb dieter for a while but I didn't feel very well even though I was seeing the results I wanted.

I am now doing the LoseIt! app, it works fine for me. I am just being cautious about how much sugar I'm taking in, because a lot of times you will find low calorie but with tons of sugar...and sugar turns to fat! But you need sugar in your diet, just not...too much.

I'm still experimenting to see where this LoseIt thing will take me. After all, I hate diets. But it's all about watching quantity!
Be careful with the Loseit! app if it ever goes under 1200 calories (which can cause malnutrition-and has personally made my hair fall out) adjust how much weight you want to lose. It doesn't necessarily mean that's how much you'll lose depending on your metabolism (It got my metabolism wrong by a whole pound). But even if it is do you really want yellow teeth, nails, and hair loss? The Loseit! app unlike myfitnesspal does not stop at a certain deficit. It keeps getting lower. I still use it though and LOVE it! Right now it's at 1300 calories about. So once it goes under 1200 I am going to adjust it to 1 1/2 pounds loss instead of 2. Just thought I'd warn you

Edit: Since your goal is 150 and you're my height you might be okay. But I'm 17 so you have to take my age into account (The app also uses age to calculate calories I think). So just be careful.

Last edited by wolfgirl69; 05-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.
wolfgirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #18  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

No, I do not count carbs. The only thing I watch somewhat is sodium, but even then, not really.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 265/205/115

Height: 5'3"

I primarily count calories. That is how I lose the most weight.

That said, I do eat <20 grams carbs per day only because it takes my appetite away.

I plan on going through all the phases of Atkins (pre-maintenance, and maintenance) where you slowly add carbs when you are almost at goal. So, I do plan to eat some more carbs in the future.
kayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #20  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I plan all my meals for the week in advance, and make sure that all my macronutrients - carbs, fat, protein - are within a certain range. If I eat too many carbs, I have blood sugar problems and cravings and just feel like total crap. Not enough protein and I'm hungry like a wild beast. For me, 1400 calories of mostly carbs is nothing like 1400 calories of balanced protein/carbs.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I count calories and carbs too. My carb calories are mostly from veggies. I don't consume any rice, pasta, few fruits, and one slice of bread in the morning. I also lose weight very slowly if I don't keep tight control on the carbs.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #22  

S/C/G: See ticker!

Height: 5'0

I don't count carbs. I have cut back on them though, mainly the white processed stuff. If I have cereal for breakfast, then I'll avoid bread for lunch and dinner. All of my breads and such are whole-grain and loaded with fiber. But if it's not carbs from grains, then I don't pay them any attention.

I can't say I will never count carbs, but considering healthy food is also loaded with carbs (apples??), I know it probably wouldn't work for me to limit them too much, especially for the rest of my life. I don't like veggies and meat enough for low-carb, and I actually do better with carbs because then I'm not so tired and hungry!
Samantha18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I try to choose complex carbs over simple ones when possible, but I've never tracked them. I'm semi-vegetarian (~3 servings of meat a week, mostly Chick-Fil-A, bacon bits, and pepperoni on my pizza ) so I have to work really hard to get in enough protein for my resistance training and I do track that.
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I count calories. Period. I love my carbs and fit them in where I can. I generally have a healthy, well balanced diet where no food is off limits.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:13 AM   #25  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Forward View Post
I count calories. Period. I love my carbs and fit them in where I can. I generally have a healthy, well balanced diet where no food is off limits.
Yes, this! And as a poor student, most of my meals are made up of a carb item+lots of veggies, such as veggie curry and rice, cous cous and ratatouille etc (I'm a vegetarian too!)

I find that my carbs are relatviely on the low side anyway, however, as to eat at around 1200 calories a day, I can't have huge portions of them! I much prefer to have a smaller portion of rice with my meal and have a yoghurt for pudding rather than having a massive bowl of rice. Rice is good, but not that good!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 350/180/180 (surgery recovery)

Height: 5'9"

I count calories, and at the beginning of my weight loss, limited carbs to once per day, due to my insulin resistance. Now that my body has "reset", I've been eating mostly Paleo (except dark chocolate, honey in my baked goods, cheese, and the occasional potato). However, if I am eating out or really craving a gluten free grain, I have a small serving (maybe 2-3 times per month).
ikesgirl80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Since I am relatively new to even counting my calories, I do not count carbs, but I don't often indulge in refined carbs or potatoes, maybe once weekly. I try to keep an eye on my sodium intake though, which MFP is helpful for.
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #28  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

I did some basic calorie counting my first time around, and I have found that it works out the best. I a conscious of carbs, but right now I am just starting back again, so I am once again working on portion control, rather than tracking any particular component. What I love about calorie counting is that it is flexible enough to use when the budget gets tight, and you have a few more carbs to supplement, when other things are too expensive to buy this week. As I get back into the routine, the actual components, carbs,protein, fiber, etc... will get more attention.
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #29  
Esta es mi vida ♫

Height: 171 cms

I have insulin resistance but still don't count carbs. What I've learned from my experience is that I have to be active and walk for hours to lose weight. For me, it's more significant to be active than to reduce daily carb intake. I don't eat much and keep my daily calorie intake around 1000-1200 calories. That worked for me.
Mia Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I used to count carbs a lot and I'd try to stay under 100g per day. Nowadays, I mostly count calories and protein. I find that if I try to choose foods with as much protein as possible, I'm less hungry throughout the day and unintentionally eat less carbs.

I think it's kind of psychological for me, b/c I tend to become very addicted to carbs (I could eat bread all day long). If I tell myself I can't eat bread or pasta, I just want it more. However if I have the mindset that I'm going to choose foods that will keep me full for longer (a.k.a. high protein foods), it doesn't feel as restrictive.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote