Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Grilled veggies are a 'thing' for me right now. Maybe a touch of salt, some Lemon Pepper (in the spice section), and I love Tastefully Simple's Garlic Garlic on about everything!

Dice em up onto a cookie sheet, sprinkle with seasoning of choice, and they often turn sweet, especially stoplight peppers.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoncroix View Post
I love bell pepper "fries". I just cut different colored bell peppers into strips and munch away. No need for dip!
That reminds me! You can toss fresh or frozen green beans into a pan (put spray oil on the bottom), cook at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until they start to get pretty brown, and then add a bunch of kosher salt. Green bean fries!

About 30 calories per cup, full of fiber, crunchy... great snack or side dish. They're actually really good with ketchup or mustard, too.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #18  
MaryGee

Every weekend I make a huge pan of roasted peppers, onions and zucchini or summer squash. I add canned chopped tomatoes and mushrooms. Sometimes I add some to my dinner (especially when I'm having pasta. Othertimes, I just heat up a bowl in the microwave and sprinkle it with parmesan cheese (22 cals a tablespoon) Really yummy.

Other times I make a big bowl of "light" cole-slaw. For my dressing I mix light mayo with 2% milk, cider vinegar and slenda. Toss it well and let it sit for a few hours before eating.

And I second the turnip - After I cook it I mash it up and add lots of pepper.

I make super large batches of these over the weekend because they take a bit of time to make -- but they are worth the effort and great to have "on-handy when you're hungry.
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #19  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Mary- your light coleslaw recipe sounds really delicious! I will have to try it and you just gave me an idea of how I can lower the cals in my fave broccoli slaw salad significantly. It is close to your recipe for the coleslaw except I use broccoli slaw, red wine vinegar, splenda, 1 tbsp diced dried cranberries and 1 tbsp walnuts. Also good with whole broccoli florets but I feel like that is a waste since I personally love the taste of broccoli itself. Thank you!

I love grilled/roasted vegetables. This thread makes me want it to be spring and summer already so I can grill my fave veggies outside again!!

I didn't read the whole thread so this may have already be mentioned but my personal favorite is homemade cukes and onions pickles with a bit of dill in it. Only sucky thing about it is that you have to let it sit for a while before you can eat it.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #20  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I love, love, love roasted red peppers. I usually make my own on the grill. A couple of weeks ago it was warm enough to do that, but not now and I was out.

I found out how to roast them in the oven! I am so happy I can make them in the winter now. I made a big batch yesterday
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I just make a "normal" recipe and add in any non-starchy vegetables that seem to fit. If you add in 50%, you can almost double your serving.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #22  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I love crunching on a can of water chestnuts, they are fabulous!

Celery chunks, cucumbers, baby bell peppers, carrots, cauliflower, I like to scoop my mango salsa up with all of the above.

Popcorn is another favorite munch of mine
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #23  
MaryGee

Amandie -- right back at you -- your broccoli slaw recipe looks delicious -- I'm definitely going to try it.

Lately I've been cooking some "meal in a bag" entrees (two servings per bag) from Bertolli, Panda Express, Contessa, etc. If you check the "nutrition value" you'll find many are less than 350 calories and they are very tasty. I try to stay away from "processed food" in general, but for nights when you're tired or nothing else is available, these are good and they are really convenient - most of them get heated for 12 minutes in a skillet. Some are higher in calories - 550-600.
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #24  

Cottage cheese and sriracha.

Kale chips
jerazeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 197//135

Height: 5'1"

celery and hummus!!! I used to do pretzels and hummus, but the celery is just as good!!! I'm so picky too!
db1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #26  

Height: 5'2"

I've been using herbal teas and bullion cubes to feel fuller. For 0-10 calories per cup, I get to feel like I'm tasting something and it takes the edge off the empty feeling in my tummy. It also makes me look less weird and conspicuous when everybody else is eating dessert if I drink a cup of tea rather than sit there with nothing in front of me.
HelloNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #27  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerazeit View Post
Cottage cheese and sriracha.

Kale chips
O-M-G! Thank you so much for reminding me of an old favorite of mine- cottage cheese and hot sauce but sriracha would be so much tastier! This can be used as a spicy veggie dip with bell peppers, carrots and cukes.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #28  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by forreal View Post
Every weekend I make a huge pan of roasted peppers, onions and zucchini or summer squash. I add canned chopped tomatoes and mushrooms. Sometimes I add some to my dinner (especially when I'm having pasta. Othertimes, I just heat up a bowl in the microwave and sprinkle it with parmesan cheese (22 cals a tablespoon) Really yummy.

Other times I make a big bowl of "light" cole-slaw. For my dressing I mix light mayo with 2% milk, cider vinegar and slenda. Toss it well and let it sit for a few hours before eating.
The first is such an awesome idea! do you use olive oil? and do it in a big roaster pan?

I also love cole slaw and was wondering what I could use as a light dressing.

mom2jji07 - for a big, filling, low-ish calorie breakfast, I saute veggies and add a cup of egg substitute, the egg sub. is only 120 calories for a cup and when scrambled with the veggies, it makes a LARGE amount!

Last edited by VermontMom; 01-27-2013 at 08:14 PM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote