Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 169/130/125

Height: 5' 7"

Hi everyone,

Checking in. I've had a couple of days of having the munchies, but still have managed to log a calorie deficit. I need to do better, though, to meet the challenge goal.

I track my weight using an Android app called Libra, and I love it, because it gives me a "trend weight," taking out all the wild ups and downs that the scale does. So I can't freak out too much that my weight was up a couple of pounds from yesterday. I still see that upswing, though, and it makes me want to do better. But I see the trend weight, and I'm reassured that it was the sodium I ate.

My calorie deficit for the week is only 1,297 so far. I have three days to get that up. I at least want 3,000.

NSV -- I had trouble thinking of one. But I went to the dentist today, and his office is on the 6th floor. I took the stairs. The first 3 flights I took two steps at a time, and got pretty winded, so I did the rest of the stairs normally. But the fact that I did that instead of taking the elevator is a NSV.
Queen Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #122  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

After much thought, I have come up with 2 NSVs. I have cut my coffee consumption by 65 calories a day over the last week. I know this sounds small but I drink LOTS of coffee and have been trying to reduce the amount I drink.

I also have been feeling fuller on my calorie allotment(probably b/c of another NSV of upping my vegetable servings) and the scale has started to budge a bit more so that relieves some of my anxiety about the setback of gaining those few pounds over the move. I know it will probably sound funny since I've lost almost 50 pounds(pre-gain) but the gain had me stressing about my ability to lose. Thankfully, a few strong days on plan and that anxiety is melting away.

Last edited by 4star; 01-13-2012 at 10:11 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #123  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
After much thought, I have come up with 2 NSVs. I have cut my coffee consumption by 65 calories a day over the last week. I know this sounds small but I drink LOTS of coffee and have been trying to reduce the amount I drink.

I also have been feeling fuller on my calorie allotment(probably b/c of another NSV of upping my vegetable servings) and the scale has started to budge a bit more so that relieves some of my anxiety about the setback of gaining those few pounds over the move. I know it will probably sound funny since I've lost almost 50 pounds(pre-gain) but the gain had me stressing about my ability to lose. Thankfully, a few strong days on plan and that anxiety is melting away.
I know what you mean! On December 23rd, I had lost 105 lbs. So I am obviously capable of losing weight, lol. I expected a gain after Christmas, but I didn't expect 2 gains in a row, especially after truly getting back OP. I am really trying to use my head instead of my emotions to deal with the scale right now. I know about fluctuations, water retention, etc. etc., but it's still hard not to be discouraged. The important thing is I know what works and I know what I need to do...I just need to be patient and stick with it.

Glad to hear your patience is paying off!
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #124  
On a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernExposure View Post
I know what you mean! On December 23rd, I had lost 105 lbs. So I am obviously capable of losing weight, lol. I expected a gain after Christmas, but I didn't expect 2 gains in a row, especially after truly getting back OP. I am really trying to use my head instead of my emotions to deal with the scale right now. I know about fluctuations, water retention, etc. etc., but it's still hard not to be discouraged. The important thing is I know what works and I know what I need to do...I just need to be patient and stick with it.

Glad to hear your patience is paying off!
Glad to hear I am not alone. It's so weird. I felt like a total newbie for a few days. Weird anxious thoughts like, "What if this doesn't work for me now?" Why wouldn't it work all of the sudden?

I think when I took a shot at maintaining and did well with it that I didn't expect to see a gain. But when I saw a gain during the house move, it really kicked up the nerves. I am pretty sure it's b/c I turned my routine on it's head and fell back into easy eating habits instead of running on my old healthy eating habits but I think I can take that as a lesson on keeping healthy habits in times of stress.

I feel ok today. Confident and at peace. Not perfectly on plan but we don't have to be perfect to see results, just consistent....
Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #125  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
Glad to hear I am not alone. It's so weird. I felt like a total newbie for a few days. Weird anxious thoughts like, "What if this doesn't work for me now?" Why wouldn't it work all of the sudden?

I think when I took a shot at maintaining and did well with it that I didn't expect to see a gain. But when I saw a gain during the house move, it really kicked up the nerves. I am pretty sure it's b/c I turned my routine on it's head and fell back into easy eating habits instead of running on my old healthy eating habits but I think I can take that as a lesson on keeping healthy habits in times of stress.

I feel ok today. Confident and at peace. Not perfectly on plan but we don't have to be perfect to see results, just consistent....
I also successfully maintained for a while, and honestly, it was pretty effortless. Of course much of that has to do with the fact that I have summers off and I'm MUCH more physically active in the summer than I am during the school year. But all last summer I didn't even count calories and was able to stay within 2 lbs of my starting weight. I did watch what I ate and was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of the calories I normally eat, but again, being active (as opposed to sitting at a desk all day) makes a big difference.

The week between Christmas & New Years I pretty much ate whatever I wanted, so again, I expected a gain last Friday. I was actually OK being up 2 lbs. But to gain ANOTHER lb this week (after being OP all week) was pretty disheartening. Again, I'm guessing being sick last week gave me an inaccurate number on the scale...but wow...if being dehydrated last week masked that pound I "gained" this week, how much damage did I really do over Christmas? Can you really gain over 3 lbs in a week that easily?? And now it's been two weeks since New Years and NONE of it has come off? It really made me wonder what happened to my body, did I somehow mess up my metabolism? If/when I actually get to goal, will I be able to maintain (seemed so easy last summer) or will I balloon up and start gaining 3 lbs a week if I'm not careful? Am I silly to think *I* can actually accomplish something so many have failed at?

Then I have to reel myself back in and say "it's 3 lbs. You've got this under control. You will lose it like you've lost all of your other re-gains and you will move forward. Sure, it's a setback, but this isn't a race. Stick with it and you will get there, just as you've eventually gotten to all of your other goals you've set so far along this journey."

And you are absolutely correct about perfection vs. consistency.

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 01-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #126  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

hey ladies!!

im sorry that some of the trend seems to be in the upswing,but don't worry it's only a couple of lbs, they will come back down. sodium ? water? i also find that if i eat dinner too late, my scale shows it in the morning (which sucks for weigh in days).

as for me, i had a terrible practice last night, my blood sugar spiked, i didn't pack enough food and therefore it sucked, but the time i got home i had a (on plan) pretty high cal chicken pot pie, but then i was starving so i had a broc slaw salad with like, 3 oz of goat cheese- not where i wanted to be, but my body absolutely wanted it so i decided to give'er.

today is class 14 of the 30 day challenge, again i am feeling a little hungry, and therefore terribly worried that my blood sugar is going to spike again as i am totally out of snacks for the day (but this might be the mouse and the cheese/mousetrap effect). hopefully it goes well.

then, i plan to be totally off plan this weekend. no yoga on saturday - but hoping to go ski, and MAYBE no yoga on sunday (which means i have to do two doubles next week, but that's fine).

food wise- im planning to indulge. but have you noticed that having lost some weight, even cheat meals- aren't really that big anymore? i really have to step back and gage how much of this particular "cheat food item" is really going to fill me up, and then stop myself once i am full, as opposed to eating the full portion of whatever i used to eat when i was much larger.

so, i am going to attempt to not weigh myself until about tuesday - at which point i will be glad to be anywhere under 179!! (or by a wierd miracle i'll be a 176 - THAT WOULD BE AMAZING).

c'est la vie.

if i don't get to check back in till monday- i hope everybody has a phenomenal weekend!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 196(HW220) /149.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone!
I’ve been OP all week, but I’m still fighting off my cough/cold. Makes it easier to stay under my calorie limit, but I really hope I get better soon. On the plus side, I finally weighed in under my pre-Christmas weight after 2 OP weeks So that was a nice surprise.

NSV – Despite being sick, I’ve been walking (albeit very slowly) for at least 40 minutes a day this week. Yay!

Stimkovs – I know what you mean about the cheat meals. I always end up asking myself “Am I really hungry for this or do I just want to eat it?” and I’ll stop myself when I’m no longer hungry. A good sign, I think Hope you have loads of fun skiing!

Northern: I’ve been having those same thoughts since Christmas. But you’re doing so well, and 3 lbs isn’t going to ruin things (especially since you were sick last week so you could be retaining water now that you’re eating properly again). Hopefully you’ll lose those 3 lbs before you know it!

4star: Congrats on the NSVs! Sounds like you’re getting right back into the calorie counting groove I’m glad your scale is starting to move and I hope you’re enjoying your new place!

Queen: Great job taking the stairs instead of the elevator! And taking the 3 flights of stairs 2 steps at a time is pretty darn impressive! Go you!
SparkleBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

It looks like everyone had some great NSV's today!! Good work!!

My NSV this week: Today I officially completed the Couch to 5k program!!! I'm so happy!! My reward was a new pair of running shoes!!
I didn't think I'd ever finish it or ever run 3 miles!!
I also weighed in at 152 flat today, which is down from 152.8 from last week. So, I'm heading in the right direction!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #129  

S/C/G: (HW 247) 241/215/199

Height: 5'- 4 1/2"

Barely making it on before the day is over!

Day 5 OP! I'm really surprised that I'm falling right back into my routine. It is so TRULY a mind thing - when you've made up your mind to do it, you can do it!

Ok, so my Friday NSV will be that I'm proud I've made it all week OP and have not skipped a day of exercise. I'm proud of myself that I started this week even though I was sick with a cold AND TOM was coming. I just barreled through and did it! I can already tell that I'm stronger and more energetic from the exercise.

I am looking forward to my weigh in Monday to see how I've done.

I hope you all have a great weekend! Goodnight!
susieyarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #130  
On a Mission

SparkleBe-Thank You! We are really enjoying our new place!

Susie-Great job on working out all week! Doesn't it feel good to be back on track!?

Stimkov- Thanks for the good wishes! Right back at ya! Have a great weekend! It sounds fabulous!

Northern-You do have this under control. I hope you get yourself a nice little whoosh!

I had my second workout yesterday. I haven't been pushing myself too hard on the exercise but I've been putting in 5 miles on my recumbent bike when I workout and then doing either some ab work or upper body work to follow it up.

The good news is: I got myself a whoosh this morning! Down to 205! I figured something would happen b/c (TMI) I spent a lot of time peeing yesterday and noticed I wasn't looking as fluffy so I think my body just decided to let go of the extra weight. I expect the next few pounds to be a lil slower about coming off since that's a 3.5+ pound loss this week and apparently some of it was water weight. I'll take it though b/c I do look somewhat thinner than I did at the beginning of the week .
Old 01-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 167.6/ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

New to this challenge (and this message board), hope it's not too late to join! My goal for Feb. 14th is 152 lbs. (down from ~160). Still a month, hope to spend it OP! starting today with 1200-1400 cals and a spinning class.
neimanmarxist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #132  
On a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by neimanmarxist View Post
New to this challenge (and this message board), hope it's not too late to join! My goal for Feb. 14th is 152 lbs. (down from ~160). Still a month, hope to spend it OP! starting today with 1200-1400 cals and a spinning class.
Nope, you're not too late. Welcome aboard!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Height: 5'4"

Looks like everyone is doing good. I have lost another 2#, so 6 more to go before valentines. I know I can do it if I just keep pushing.

It can be kind of hard when you are a kitchen manager at the county jail, and we make all of our own baked goods, and my office is next to the baking section. LOL. I don't alow myself to eat anything that I don't bring from home, so I know my actual calorie intake.

Wilma
slim n up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #134  
Restricting my way down..

S/C/G: 213/ticker/160now150!

Height: 5'4"

Hey everyone!

I'm so happy to hear about these NSVs, especially JiggleFree & SparkleBE--it's the little things, isn't it?

1lb lost this week. I got workouts in everyday, but Thursday the pool was closed due to the weather, so I walked on the treadmill instead.

ThinkinThin: I work out A LOT, as in 600+ calories burned a day minimum. On swim days, over 1000 calories. I eat at least half of them back, otherwise I am weak and hungry. I'm still losing over 1lb a week, and that is all that matters to *me*. Do what works for you!
ScottieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

179.5 this morning. I was so happy I logged on to 3fc to change my ticker. Looks like my goal of 178 is really going to happen. This challenge was just what I needed. Thanks!
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote