Old 09-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

Default Limiting Coffee

I love coffee. I mean, really. I wake up very early, often, because I think: "Won't it be wonderful to have a coffee and read the paper?" My favorite place to go is Starbucks (and not even for the wonderful frappes or lattes, just a regular coffee.)

But I'm overdoing it. Coffee has the rollercoaster effect. Blood sugar goes up and down, sending off false hunger signals and creating unnecessary stress. Sometimes I just need to be - meaning, not drinking or eating anything.Right now, my coffee thermos is my pacifier that I carry around with me, but that is not healthy. It does not help me lose weight and be healthy.

So, here I go: only coffee in the morning and a small coffee before I run (enhances performance). That's it.

Anyone else struggling with this too?

Last edited by Unna; 09-23-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #2  
jvj
Will get there!

S/C/G: 267/262/145

Height: 5'6"

I'm exactly the same, I need my stovetop espresso with milk in the morning, it is one thing I seem to be unable to compromise on.

However I will cut right back on the Nespressos in the daytime to just one after lunch at the weekend only.

Ohh you can tell I'm a coffee nerd!
jvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #3  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I can't tell you anything about what coffee does or does not do to the body or to the diet, so I won't. I have a cup a day, generally. What happens is I make one at work, drink about 1/3, and go make another. Generally, it happens again, so in the afternoon I make 1 more. Whether or not I actually consume a full cup is up to however busy I've been. I do like a latte from DD occasionally with skim milk, no sugar. I have not had sugar in coffee since forever--just don't like the taste. I don't like coffee icecream or coffee yogurt (ugh, sour) for the same reason. I've gotten used to no sugar in my tea now also.

I think of the DD latte as an occasional treat, and a good way to get in some calcium. I guess if I had to give coffee up, I could do it....but I do enjoy the little that I consume.

Unna, can you give me some info on the blood sugar effect? I'm diabetic 2 and didn't know about that. Thanks, D

P.S. Good luck cutting down.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #4  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

I usually have 3-4 cups a day. Normal instant coffee with water and a bit of milk.

Same here. When I wake up in the morning I crave coffee. Just love it <3
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

OMG, I would DIE without my coffee. (It's what I'm drinking NOW at 5:15 in the morning!) Black, no cream, and no sugar. Zero calories and I drink it right up to bed time and sleep like a baby.

If you think coffee is bad for you, then by all means stop drinking it...but I think you would be better off giving up sugar and stuff that really is bad for you!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-23-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm with Lori Bell. Most days I drink it black with nothing in it. About once a week or so I want some cream in my coffee, so I have it.
Anyway.. give it up (or limit it) if that's what you think is best. But, it isn't necessary if you don't want to.
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #7  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Height: 5'5"

Man, I'm jealous of all you black coffee drinkers. I actually sacrifice almost 100 calories for my daily morning coffee. Now I'm wondering if I should attempt to try it black. Oh man, I'm getting nervous even thinking about it. Especially when the special holiday creamers will be coming out soon!

I agree that coffee itself is fine for us, as far as calorie counting goes. But if you feel it's affecting your health or you are dealing with caffeine addiction, it would be good to evaluate it.

Good luck on your cutting coffee mission! I hope you'll find it easier than you thought.

Lisa
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Unna, I've definitely been there. How do you drink it?

Lisa, I'm with you! I cannot drink mine black, which is why I can't have it more than one a day. I allow myself a second cup if I'm REALLY dragging but I have to sacrifice 1/2 a snack or so.

My blood used to consist of coffee. Once a coworker joked that if you squeezed me, caffeine would leak from my pores. I was terrible- I'd go to Dunkin' Donuts once a day and get a HUGE coffee, and I'd make at least a pot a day. Oy. Over time I just cut back. I got a Keurig machine as a gift and the k-cups were so flippin' expensive (to a grad student, which I was at the time) that I started drinking two cups a day instead of a zillion.

When I started this job, I put the keurig machine on my desk. I'd say I use it about once a week in the afternoon, if I have the extra calories, and like I said, if I'm dragging. But you know what's crazy? If I start doing it on Monday, and then on Tuesday- by Wednesday, my body expects it.

You would have to pry my morning, pre-gym coffee from my cold, dead hands- but I'm pretty flexible about coffee later in the day, now.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #9  

I drink a cup or two in the morning. I either drink it black (usually if I'm eating something with it) or with a bit over a tablespoon of half and half (if I'm just having the coffee). No sugar---haven't had that in my coffee for about 20 years. I have two espressos at night with a teaspoon of Sambucca Romana in each. And like Lori Bell, I can sleep like a baby. Caffeine doesn't seem to affect my sleep at all.

Your coffee-drinking seems a lot like my husband. He drinks coffee all day long----and he's never had a weight problem. Sometimes I think he is so full of coffee that it curbs his appetite.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #10  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Today, an emotionally bad day, I stopped for an iced coffee at DD, and actually had cream. That's the first cream I've had in 10 weeks. I drank the entire coffee, leaving nothing but ice. It was sooo delicious.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 244/199/150

Height: 5'4"

i drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day black or with skim milk and find it doesn't effect my weight loss as long as i drink a glass of water for each cup of coffee
kindanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

Height: 5'8"

I love coffee- black, with cream, with sugar, however you serve it! I have had to cut back on the creamer, though, even though I LOVE me some coffeemate. I allow myself 1 coffee a day with a tbsp of coffeemate in it- 35 cal. After that, if I want more coffee, I either drink it black or with sf torani syrup in it.
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

I have to say that lately I have cut down my consumption a little bit without trying. I started using my bodum press, that honestly makes about 3 decent size mugs. I have it hot in the morning, throw the leftover in the fridge for the afternoon.
So most days, I have about 3 mugs, unless I'm out somewhere and get a cup or someone makes a cup for me.

Anyway..this is a cool thread! I LOVE coffee It's a smell that will wake me up in the morning if someones makes GOOD coffee. (I mean fresh beans, ground up. YUM!)

Lisa: I used to drink cream in my coffee as well. For whatever reason, I just decided to try it black a little bit. I have to say that I enjoyed it. Although, personally, it has to be good coffee. If it's "cheap" stuff then I let it cool and then drink it. For some reason when cheap coffee is hot it tastes worst than when it's chilled. LOL. Anyway... do what makes you happiest. Don't just cut out cream just to cut calories. I mean, if it works great. But, you may not enjoy it that way...
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I suppose I'm a coffee 'binger' and I personally feel the bad results..... there is actually a point that you can reach (that I have reached), where you drink too much coffee and it actually has the opposite effect - it makes you tired.

For all of those who drink coffee until bedtime - I'm certainly not criticizing! In fact, I obviously love the taste too!

But, personally, in my body, it spurs on ravenous hunger pangs about 45min. after drinking. Definitely coming down from an insulin spike! So, that sort of sends me on a hungry - not hungry roller coaster the entire day.

I hope no one thinks I am saying coffee is bad! I'm just saying it is not helping me at all in my healthy efforts. Sort of like some people say carbs don't help them.... I, on the other hand, have no problems with whole grains. My body just was not made for too much coffee - whereas my boyfriend can drink much more and never complains of any bad side effects. I also can't drink alcohol - it causes my heart to race and I can't sleep.... so I obviously have funky blood!

I'm thinking I will switch to decaf in the afternoon or peppermint tea..... something soothing about sipping a warm drink....

I was just wandering if anyone else felt it was having a negative effect on their diet....

Thanks for the responses, I loved reading them! I don't feel so alone anymore!
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Height: 5'6

I LOVE LATTAES!! I do not feel any quilt having one once a day. Regular with nonfat milk is only about a 120 calories and I get my calcium and vitamin D. I see it as a treat, especially when I feel like going off the wagon. (which has been happening all to often as of late, but here I am once agian Plus, coffee has a ton of antioxidents! I usually drink it black in the morning and then in the afternoon or evening I will have a lattae. First post in about a month, feels good to be back.
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote