Old 11-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Default Low-cal, low-fat, what's a girl to do?

So...apparently I've got some gallbladder issues and I have to eat low-fat until I get something done about it. I was given a list but with thanksgiving come up what am I going to do?! I can probably eat like the turkey and maybe some sort of unbuttered, un cheesey vegtable but that would be it...got any good desserts? Good meals? I can make this work if I have options.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I've done a trifle before with cut up squares of angel food cake (instead of pound cake), sugar-free, fat free pudding, a fruit of choice (bananas often) and lite cool whip and toasted coconut or a few toasted almonds - just have to be careful that it's in layers or else it looks like mush and kind of disgusting. Any steamed veggies would be good ...

GOOD LUCK - hope you're not in too much pain.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

How low fat is low fat? I don't mean to be picky, but it can matter. Is it massively restrictive? Would be easier to come up with some suggestions/thoughts if we know our limit.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #4  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I have a stir fry that is super easy to make and tasty.

First brown a tablespoon of sesame seeds in a pan (careful, they burn easily). Then put the seeds aside and put sliced mushrooms and fresh green beans (or snow peas or sweet peas) in the pan. You can steam them with a lid, or cook them in some oil. It's delicious either way. When they're cooked, put in 2 tbsp Teriyaki sauce and the sesame seeds. Toss and eat warm. You can easily adjust the amounts of ingredients depending on how much you want. I like to eat this with chicken breast or grilled fish.

It's very low cal and very low fat.

I usually make a lot of it and then stick some in the fridge for later.

Here's the calories for what I do (I usually don't use oil and only use 1 tsp of sesame seeds:

80 calories - 1 whole package green beans (usually with 3-4 "servings" in a bag - sorry, I can't remember exact size).

50 calories - 8 oz sliced mushrooms

20 - 1 tsp sesame seeds.

50 - 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce.

Total calories: 200

Last edited by LiannaKole; 11-22-2010 at 02:02 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #5  
small plates small bites

S/C/G: 187/135.9/135

Height: 5'6"

Roasted Squash should also work and is a very "thankgivingesque" side dish. Butternut would be great, or even roast pumpkin. Drizzle with basalmic vinegar or nutmeg and cinnamon. Tossing in olive oil is good but not essential-- you could just as easily use cooking spray.
TapasLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoSiren View Post
How low fat is low fat? I don't mean to be picky, but it can matter. Is it massively restrictive? Would be easier to come up with some suggestions/thoughts if we know our limit.
50g or less per day. Within that area.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #7  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I'm making poached pears as my Thanksgiving dessert - peel the pears (you can trim the bottom a little so they stand up, for dramatic presentation), poach in red wine with mulling spices and a very little bit of sugar, then reduce the liquid to make a sort of syrupy sauce.

It's a no-fat dessert, and it always gets huge raves. Very low-calorie, too - especially if you are cautious with how much of the syrup you pour over your own pear. I will serve mine with vanilla ice cream, though I personally will pass on the ice cream.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

also keep in mind that depending on where the turkey comes from, it comes pre-buttered. can't make assumptions anymore these days, what people (companies) do to food is ridiculous.

what about making a homemade cranberry sauce? or fruit salad? you could also do mashed potatoes made w/out butter and use a diff type of milk (I've been dairy free for forever so use almond milk-no one can tell when it's in mashed potatoes).

HTH
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #9  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

We had my family Thanksgiving on Sunday. I made an AWESOME cranberry-pear sauce that I found in Women's Health Magazine. I used a potato masher & smashed it all up once cooked down. Also, I served it cold, so it thickens up quite a bit.

Lastly, it is DELISH mixed with FF greek yogurt (plain or vanilla). I could also imagine it being wonderful with angel food cake & light whipped cream or vanilla pudding made w/FF milk.

I hope you enjoy!

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutri...-dishes?page=3

Pass the Cranberry-Pear Sauce
Cranberries are weight-loss superstars. Studies have found that they contain organic acids that may help dissolve fat deposits, plus enzymes that may boost metabolism. Too bad we tend to dump sugar over them to temper their tartness. The pears in this dish add sweetness, which means you can use half the sugar found in most canned sauces.

1/2 cup sugar
12 oz fresh cranberries
3 Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves

1/ In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup water, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir well.

2/ Add cranberries, pears, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; stir well to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until cranberries burst.

3/ Remove from heat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Makes 8 servings
Per 1/3-cup serving: 112 cal, 0 g fat (0 g sat), 29 g carbs, 62 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 0 g protein

Last edited by cherylmn; 11-23-2010 at 11:50 AM.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi,

I discovered I had gallstones about 4 years ago and overall, I switched to a low fat diet and haven't had a problem since. About 3 years ago, I switched to a vegan diet and although have had some fatty days, still haven't encountered a problem.

The other day, I overdosed on some nuts and then had an oily dinner. The next day I had a stomach issue that I think might've been a gallstone but not sure. I suspect it was but it certainly wasn't as painful as the ones I had 4 years ago.

Overall, not sure what your plans are in terms of your gallbladder or if there are other factors but eating a low fat diet can be your friend
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I just had my gallbladder removed laproscopically on Tuesday after a LOT of attacks.

I pretty much controlled the attacks by sticking to less than 10 grams of fat a day (really not much!!!), but my mental health really declined and I was severely depressed and severely anxious! I ate a lot of plain turkey, potatoes and vegetables with braggs liquid aminos (like soy sauce). A lot of fresh fruit, lgihtly steamed veggies. I amde veggie dips with fat free mayo and fat free sour cream.

Are you going to go with the surgery or your not sure yet?
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #12  

My family wants me to get the surgery just to nip this thing and I don't mind, I certainly don't want to have that again!