Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 PM   #1  
Suz

S/C/G: 175/128/120

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up W.O.W.'s "No Foolin' You" Challenge - an Invitation!

It started with jcatron243's Thanksgiving Challenge... and we survived the holidays with our New Year's Challenge. We got our grooooove back just in time for Valentine's Day, and now the Women on WEED are starting a new challenge - and we're Not Foolin' Around!!

Are YOU ready to quit foolin' around and get yourself in gear to lose some pounds just in time for Spring? Are you ready to motivate yourself and motivate others, too? Are you tired of being in a rut?

If so, THIS IS THE CHALLENGE FOR YOU. Come on and join us! Veteran W.O.W.'s and newbies are all welcome!

Here's how it works:

RULES:

As with all the previous W.O.W. challenges, the only real rule for this challenge is to BE HEALTHY. Be realistic, get enough calories, challenge yourself physically without hurting yourself. That's it!

The challenge will end on April 1, April Fools' Day. Set yourself a reasonable, attainable weight loss goal to get to by that day. It's that easy! We will have Weekly Thread Chats, starting every Monday until the end of the challenge... we do a new one every week to avoid having to go through pages and pages of posts. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to check in as often as they like, to share whatever they like, and most importantly to give support and to get support.

We all monitor the scale differently... but a good portion of us have found success by weighing in only once a week. Please feel free to do whatever you're most comfortable with. You may choose whatever day you'd like for your weigh-in day. Whatever you choose to do, remember that successes are not ONLY measured by the numbers on the scale, but in the ways we change our lives for the better.

Women on... WHAT??

Okay, let me explain that "Women on WEED" is not what you might be thinking. During the challenges I mentioned earlier, a group of us formed a great bond, and we've been challenge buddies ever since. We use the word "WEED" as a mnemonic device to set daily goals, an easy and very specific way to remind yourself during your day to take care of your body, and to nurture your Mind, Mouth and Muscles... it really does help. After all, we are all taking this a day at a time, right?

If you join this challenge, you will see it often - and you are encouraged to give it a try. Here's what it stands for:

W - Water intake. Set a daily goal for how much water you're going to drink. Although there is conflicting research as to how much to actually consume in a day, we all agree it is important to drink lots to stay healthy. So make it a goal!

E - Exercise. Efficient, healthy weight loss isn't going to happen unless you incorporate some kind of physical activity in your life. Everyone does it differently; some go to the gym, some work out at home, and some find ways to sneak in little bits of exercise all throughout the day. Set yourself a goal, even if it's small. Little bits done often WILL add up over time!

E - Eats. Being that we all have different eating plans and weight loss philosophies, this is sort of a wild card. Whatever plan you're on, set yourself a plan-appropriate daily eating goal for the day. Don't forget to make it specific!

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation. This is another wild card. It doesn't even have to be weight-loss related! This is the spot where you list something you want to get accomplished. Or, you can use "D" for a a daily affirmation - it's an opportunity to say something good and positive about yourself. Sometimes, when we fall short - and we ALL do sometime - we are tempted to berate ourselves. Although it's good to recognize when we don't reach our goals, it's also good to remind ourselves of the awesome parts of ourselves. So go ahead and remind yourself of that in the "D" part of WEED.
Okay - who's ready to join us? Who's ready to stop Foolin' and start getting serious about getting pounds lost, getting healthy bodies?

Chime in, introduce yourselves, your challenge goal, etc. - we look forward to getting to know each of you!

My April 1 goal - 158 lbs. I think I can really do this!

See you soon!
RowdyBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #2  

Hey Rowdy...I AM IN!
This sounds awesome and i would like to set my goal at losing 5 pounds(of fat!!!)...its pretty low cuz my weight loss has kinda been at a standstill and like you said "I think I can really do this!"
LET'S GO GIRLS!!!
Bean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:48 AM   #3  

I am in!! I just finished planning a set of goals to meet by April 15. I don't have a scale, though. But I'll be checking in, and will definitely be noticing a difference in other ways (tape measure, the pant-o-meter) and be right with you girls I'm excited now!
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:05 AM   #4  
One Day At A Time

S/C/G: 318/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

<----A veteran WEED girl so you know I'm in!!! Yes, you will notice that I lost exactly ZERO on the last challenge, but I had lost SOME, then kinda blew it up for the last few weeks so it's a wash. And at least I didn't GAIN. So I guess I can keep the same goal, 215? (I can't remember what the ticker says til I finish the post) edited to say...okay 210 is still a reasonable goal, I'll keep it there, I want to be 190 by summer/swimsuit season. 6 weeks, 14 pounds, I CAN DO IT!

Can't wait to meet the new gals. Pop on over to the discussion threads.

Big picture WEED hit

W- Keep up with my 3-4 liters a day. When I work my night shifts, try to drink less coffee (with cream!) and keep bringing in the 3 liter bottle (my friends get a kick out of seeing me drink out of that huge thing anyway, and they're all VERY impressed to see me finish it!) I'm not a big soda drinker (anymore) so that's not an issue.

E- Exercise, well of course! I want to get back into gym mode. 3-4 days a week, but also continue my at-work exercises, the wall pushups, the wall squats, the walking lunges, the walking squats, the IV bag curls. I just want my goal to be exercising more even outside of the gym. I'm a maniac AT the gym, but I want to get more done on non-gym days.

E- Fresh fruits/vegetables, lean/white meats, low cal, low fat, high protein, high fiber. I'd like to cook more and pack more lunches. Actually I've been pretty good with making lunches so no prob there. Trying to avoid fast food, even my beloved Subway. I really need to try to watch my sodium intake, I think that might be killing me a bit, water retention and all.

D- I need to drink less!!!!! And I ain't talkin about my water here!! I need to post more. I need to not weigh myself every day. And I need to try to raise my kids (and my hubby) in a healthier environment. Our good friend Robin often wished she had raised her children in a healthier environment, and darnit, I have a chance to. (So do you Jeni! ) I'm looking foreward to a spring/summer of walks around the neighborhood, bike rides, hikes, walks at the zoo, etc.

See you all over at the discussion threads....xoxxoxox Michelle
NurseMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #5  
Suz

Aaaah, Bean, Sweet_Talker, Michelle - great to see you here! I can feel your excitement, and I'm psyched, too - I can't wait to wave bye-bye to the 160's and welcome the 150's!

Since the next chat thread will start on Monday... this thread can serve as our chat thread until then. Mondays just seem like good days to start new threads, discussions, etc. So keep popping in frequently to stay motivated and catch up with everyone!

Tried to get up to go to the gym this a.m., but we are still COVERED in ice. In fact, I can hear my DH outside right now, spinning his tires as he's trying to get out of the driveway. At the very least, it's unsafe... and I'd be pretty angry if I'd braved subzero wind chills and icy streets to show up to the gym only to find out it's closed! So - I'm going to try to sneak in a workout over lunch today. I think that will probably be my best bet.

My WEED goals for the day:
W: 96 ounces of water today - that's my norm and I'm sticking with it
E: Provided the gym is open, get there and do some running and some elliptical stuff
E: 1400 calories
D: Stay WARM and SAFE today!

Looking forward to hearing more from you all, and to seeing more folks join the quest!

Old 02-15-2007, 06:54 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I will check back in later with my details and goals and the such, but I just wanted to quickly say:

Rowdy darling, absolutely great post, you have done a great job as the leader as ususal. Fantastic, fantastic invitation you put out. Job well done my' lady. YOU ROCK!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #7  
Movin' and Groovin'

S/C/G: 289/269/180

I'm In!!

Last time I set a goal of 10 lbs. and I met it. I'm going to try for the same amount this time. So, that would make my goal 263. I think it will be easier this time around. Eating healthier is becoming more of a habit and exercising is getting easier (I can go 20 min. on elliptical now ).

Will post details later. Gotta get kids ready for school.
JennyWenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/205/165

Default I'm new and I'm in!!

This is an awesome challenge!! I can't wait to get going.

Here's what I'm going to do:

W - I will continue to drink at least my 64 oz every day. More if possible.
E - my Turbo Jam is arriving soon and I'm going to add elliptical at least 3 times a week
E - I don't do a specific diet, but I will stick to plenty of fruits/vegetables, stay away from fast food, eat plenty of protein, and I will add more fiber to my diet.
D - I will not let small bumps in the road stop me from moving in the right direction. I tend to beat myself up for small slips, so I'm going to concentrate on staying positive.

My goal weight loss is 8 pounds by April 1. I'm ready to make it happen!
pinkcashmere71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #9  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Vetran of WOW here, I still struggle some with my eating but I am getting my self really psyched for this challenge!!!

Bean and sweet talker Welcome Welcome Welcome! Bean, I have been stalled since christmas. I have lost and gained the same few pounds over and over again. Sweet talker, I think the scale can be an evil thing (I try to only weighin of Friday) I used to weigh in everyday but when I saw the same thing so many days in a row I got really discouraged, if I were to do it again I think I would stick to measurement and pant size goal.

edit: Welcome pinkcashmere Cant wait to get to know you!!

Ladies, thanks for the love and advice on Makie. I hope she recovers quickly, the doctor told DH the fever won't break until probalby Saturday or Sunday. The absoulte utter guilt has set in. I can't stay home and take care of her. Will's Grandmother is going to take care of her, but I don't want her to. She is to old, and gets pnemonia so easily, I couldn't take it if she got sick. When I told her my concerns she just acted the hero and assured me she will take proper precautions. DH is going to take her some gloves also. (I had to give in, I can't call in sick yet and DH, well I dont know, I guess I could ask him.

Better news, Tommy is better, last night he didn't need any medicine AND he slept through the night!!!!!

Michelle, I haven't made it to a spinning class yet, but I will. Pilates was cancelled last night so I did cardio, which was nice. I hope you are getting some sleep!

Suz, That start up post was SO awsome. It was a total motivator, one of your best!!!

Robin, I hope you are having a good day.

Jenny, Great job on the elliptical!!! you are doing awsome!

W. 96 oz. I generally go between 80-120 oz depending on what I ate the day before or what I plan on eating during the day.

E. 60 minutes. I am trying to incorporate some weights, but chances are it will be straight cardio today! (BTW there is an exercise challenge also if anyone wants to join, just have to create a goal and write it down)

E. 1300 cals today. I try to stick to a low calorie diet, 1200-1400 cals daily

D. Make it to the gym, sanitize the house (again) Keep tommy, DH, and myself from getting pnemonia!

HAVE A HAPPY HEALTHY DAY EVERYONE!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:12 AM   #10  
One Day At A Time

Mornin girls!!!

Jenny, TWENTY MINUTES!! Just a month ago, you said you could barely tolerate 5-10! Look at you girl! AWESOME! Before you know it, you'll be doing 45 min without breaking a sweat. Does your machine have a resistance setting?

Robert got a snow day today!!! So I get to be home with my babies today! LOL, you'll probably see me today around 2 whining that they're driving me nuts, but oh well. I'd like to get outside and play in the snow. We shall see.

Be back later, someone is alreading whining. xoxoxo Michelle
Old 02-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/250/160

Height: 5ft.5"

I would like to do the challenge, I am very over weight so, I like to set a goal of 12lbs by April fools Day! I am still learning to walk again so that also will be a goal for me and that is to walk better! good luck all!!
shoots-alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Hi Ladies,
I would like to join your challenge. I've lost and gained more times than I can count. I find when I have others encouraging me I do much better.

Here's my today's goals:

W - Water intake- Drink at least 3 bottles of water

E - Exercise- Walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes

E - Eats- Try and stay on my whole foods diet

D - Daily goal/Daily affirmation- To stay on program.

MY challenge goal is to lose 10 pounds. My starting weight is 184

Last edited by grammpaula; 02-26-2007 at 09:56 AM.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #13  
One Day At A Time

Welcome Shoots and Paula!!!

Paula, I noticed you are from NE Ohio, me too! What part? I'm in Canton, I assume you've been snowed in too?

Jeni, glad Tommy is feeling better, sorry bout Maki, hopefully this will be a quick one! Lots of strength and love to YOU.

Well time to get off the tush and get cleaning. Thinking about stir fry for dinner. Any tips on how you prepare it?

W- Tons, somewhere around 3 liters

E- Well I did already have one V-day chocolate, but no worries. I plan salad for lunch, tons of veggies, and maybe a can of chicken. And the abovementioned stir fry over brown rice for dinner.

E- I AM GOING BACK TO THE GYM TODAY! I swear it! Probably not until after dinner but still. I've been thinking about it long enough, I'm doing it!

D- cleaning, laundry, typical house stuff. Enjoying the snow day and the kids.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Michelle
It's always nice to meet another Ohioian. I'm in Wadsworth, 20 minute drive from Akron. We go to Canton to the Flower Factory often so I know exactlly where you are.

Yes we got a ton of snow here. I would guess at least 2 feet. The sun is shining today so maybe it will melt some. It was -5 this morning when I got up and the windchill was -15. I just wanted to crawl back under the covers. We had school cancelled Tues. and Wed. but the kids are back in school today.
grammpaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #15  
Suz

Thumbs up

All RIGHT! Now that is the kind of thing I love to see! Welcome aboard, Pinkcashmere, Shoots-alot and Grammpaula! I am really looking forward to getting to our goals together!

A good many of us here have been on the weight-loss roller-coaster. Diet after diet, fad after fad... and the weight lost doesn't stay LOST! We are firmly committed to ending that cycle once and for all; we are talking about ending the "diet doldrums" and finding a healthy lifestyle that we can live with - for the rest of our lives. It's an adjustment... but isn't it worth it to be able to keep that weight off once and for all?

And Jenny - WAY TO GO! And you're only going to get better and better at it as you become leaner and stronger. I am so proud of you!

Michelle - enjoy your day with the kiddies, as much as you can... how much snow did you guys get? We only got ice - and a LOT of it. I scraped inch-thick ice off my car this morning.

Robin, dear friend and W.O.W. "mover-and-shaker" - so glad to see you here. And thank you for your vote of confidence; I want so badly for us all to succeed, and I will do everything in my power and capability to grease the wheels! I've seen so many great successes around here, and I want for all of us - me and all my friends here - to be a success story.

Jeni, girl, hang in there! You're one tough cookie, doing everything you're doing and keeping it all together... Super-Jeni! And I have every confidence that you are going to blast through this plateau and finish this challenge on April 1 with flying colors and pounds lost!!