Old 07-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

A funny ending to this story. I logged my zumba class into Sparkpeople and got the following alert:

Quote:
*You've gone over your weekly calories burned goal by a significant amount. Your calories eaten goal will not adjust automatically. If you have increased the amount of exercise you are doing, you should update your fitness settings here to make sure you are consuming enough calories to support the additional activity

So anyone who was worried that I was about to skid off the tracks and crash right into the center of Fat Town can breathe a sigh of relief. I have actually burned more calories this week than I was scheduled to.

And anyone who was curious about going to a zumba class should totally go - it was so much fun even though half the time I was doing my own moves.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #32  

The National Weight Loss Registery doesn't support taking days off. They have tracked people for many, many years now that lost weight and kept it off. Those who successfully changed they thinking about food so that eating healthy foods all day every day was the norm have kept it off. Those who indulge in cheat days or what ever you want to call them, eventually fall off the wagon and start gaining again. The maintainers also weight every day and exercise every day for 30-60 minutes. This is all on the web so you can google it.

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 07-24-2009 at 10:03 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #33  

I know, it's CRAZY, isn't it?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #34  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
The National Weight Loss Registery doesn't support taking days off. They have tracked people for many, many years now that lost weight and kept it off. Those who successfully changed they thinking about food so that eating healthy foods all day every day was the norm have kept it off. Those who indulge in cheat days or what ever you want to call them, eventually fall off the wagon and start gaining again. The maintainers also weight every day and exercise every day for 30-60 minutes. This is all on the web so you can google it.
So does this mean that whatever worked for many of the NWCR participants is the only option for people who lose weight? Seriously now, what's with this attitude so many 3FC folks have been pushing lately? Yeah, that might be working for you, but it didn't for me or for a lot of other people, so you'll have to give up your way and do what we say or else you'll gain 18,376 pounds back and be fat forever. You'll be sorry!!!

I never have, and never will, keep myself at a continuous deficit. It's too stressful on my body and my mind, and screws up my metabolism. And by he way, taking maintenance breaks has actually been recommended by a good number of people who study weight loss. So, I'll take my treats and higher calorie days, thanks
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #35  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

Drina, I think that people who have lost weight are scared a lot of the time. Scared that something will "go wrong" and they will be "struck fat."

That may be why some comments get made, along the lines of "Be careful! That might not be the best way to go!"

The statistics for weight regain really are scary, too--so it's easy to see why that fear is there. Will one thing really lead to another?

Everyone has to find out what works, of course. I myself find it really hard to be in continuous deficit and working out every single day. Some people are successful maintaining that way, but it can't be the only way!

The question I'm trying to answer for myself is, "In maintenance, what would be a reasonable maintenance calorie AVERAGE and a reasonable level of exercise/activity?" It cannot be as tough as weight loss was, in my opinion.

I do not think the OP is going to be "struck fat" because she ate pizza and drank wine and skipped yoga for one day. And if it stays at one day every now and then, and doesn't become every week, every couple of days, etc., then there's no problem that I can see. If there is a problem, then the OP will find out about it soon enough!

Cheers,
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #36  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Definitely agreed!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #37  

I am the OP, and I never though people would work themselves into a tizzy over 500 extra calories that I consumed one day, and 300 calories that I didn't burn. As you can see from my updates, I have continued trucking along with yoga and zumba and eating within my calorie range, and have actually burned more calories this week than I "supposed to."

Maybe people just want a chance to show what they know about weight loss, which is cool and all, but really, I'm fine folks. I'm sure there are some other people here who could benefit from your wisdom.

Drina, isn't it nice when you figure out what works for you?

Jayell, that's interesting about people being scared of being struck fat. Or maybe they are scared that if I'm struck fat it will be contagious.

I have not been struck fat. I have had a mild collision with the Muscle Truck though and need to go buy some smaller pants.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #38  

Height: 5'4"

Oh please, one day off now and then won’t make anyone fat.
Actually those days/meals off can guarantee one’s success.
In my case, for example: To think I’ll never be able to have some pizza and wine ever again will make me want it even more and can trigger me into a mass binge...
Now, if I think I wont have it today, because someday next week or month I’ll give myself a break and have some, it stop being a huge deal and I can live with it.
I am in my journey for almost 1 1/2 years and it has been working for me.... and I am not maintaining, but losing... And it is working with having some vacation time and some “Days off”.
As many mentioned before, as long you come back to your plan next day... it will be fine...
To me the fact that someone will get all the weight back, doesn’t have anything to do with “breaks”. Who will put the weight back on, will do it with or without “Day off”.
For me, so far... it has helping me keep losing... Thank God for my “Days Off”. They keep me going...

Last edited by belezura; 07-24-2009 at 03:00 PM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #39  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl
Jayell, that's interesting about people being scared of being struck fat. Or maybe they are scared that if I'm struck fat it will be contagious.

Back, seagirl, BACK!!!!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #40  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
I have not been struck fat. I have had a mild collision with the Muscle Truck though and need to go buy some smaller pants.

I think days off, in moderation, can help you from feeling deprived, which in the long-haul can equal success.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote