Old 01-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #1  
Flab to Fab!

S/C/G: 207/180/125

Height: 5'1

Default Frozen/TV dinners

Hey all. I'm new here so my apologies if this thread has already been made. But after trying dozens of diets... I have finally met my prince charming (in the dieting world, of course).

I'm doing 1000 calories a day and it works wonders for me. My question is for anybody and everybody who are into quick fix meals (frozen dinners). I'm not so sure about throwing down in the kitchen just yet because I just KNOW I WILL overdue it with the fatty ingredients. I'm not very fond of frozen dinners... but I have found TWO products I absolutely love, love, LOVE -- Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers and Lean Cuisine Classic Bowls. I have ventured out a little bit and tried Kashi... but I don't like it. I was wondering if anyone is on the same boat as I am (strictly eating frozen meals)
and would like to share whats good and whats not. I would really appreciate it!
GlamourVVhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I am not eating strictly frozen meals, but am using them as a part of my diet plan. In general, I like the Lean Cuisine over the other brands, specifically the Classic Five Cheese Lasagna, Four Cheese Cannelloni, and Rosemary Chicken. I have found that HeatEatReview.com to be very helpful in deciding what frozen meals to try too.

I don't know what your stats are, but usually it is not recommended for a woman to go under 1200 calories a day unless you are under the supervision of a medical professional. It is really hard to get the nutrients you need with only 1000 calories a day.

One other route you might want to try (if you have the $) is Jenny Craig. I am very picky about my food, and they definitely have the best diet food around. They help you calculate your daily calorie needs and emphasize adding in veggies and other low calorie foods to make you feel full without going over your daily calories. Good luck!
babes315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

I eat a LC at lunch almost everyday. The key to me losing weight, is I HAD to learn to cook healthy, I have family and they need to eat healthy to. remember, that even though its low cal, they are still pretty heavily processed and have all kinds of stuff in them that wouldn't be in your home cooked meals. A 1000 cals a day sees awfully low, I would try adding extra veggies with the frozen foods if you aren't already. Also, maybe enter the foods in Fitday to make sure you getting enough nutrients and not to much sodium ect.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I do not know what your current age, weight, and activity level is at the moment-but 1000 calories a day is only for situations where you are under a doctor's supervision-and VLCs (Very low calorie diets) are like that are usually accompanied by some special nutritional supplements (vitamin shakes, etc.) because otherwise getting in all of your daily nutrients in each day at 1000 calories or less is otherwise impossible. Keep this in mind, because depending on your current weight, age, and activity level, you could be getting great results eating 1200, 1400, or even 1500 or 1600 calories a day...with better nutrition and it would be much more "liveable" for the long term.

I do eat frozen meals on occasion such as Kashi, Healthy Choice, etc. but I do not eat them as my only nutrition. It is important that you include some fresh foods as well-fruits, vegetables, etc. in addition to these meals. There are many healthy things that you can add into your diet for more variety (and to get more nutrients in) that are easy to keep "single servings" in check. Yogurt cups, pieces of fresh fruit, making oatmeal one serving at a time, etc.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #5  
Flab to Fab!

S/C/G: 207/180/125

Height: 5'1

I'll be turning 23 next week and I'm only 5'1. My lifestyle isn't really as active as it should be so that's why I chose to do only 1000 calories. Since counting calories, I've went from 207 pounds to 190. So I've always felt like 1000 was perfect for me. However, I will take your recommendations and up it to 1200-1500 to be on the safe side.

I really appreciate your input, ladies!
GlamourVVhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I use the frozen diet foods, too. I always want to have low calorie foods on hand so always have a supply of frozen and canned on hand so when I run out of fresh foods I have something to fall back on. I notice my stats are much like yours. I lost weight by eating 1200-1400 calories a day.I would not go below 1200 as that will be robbing the body of needed nutrients.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #7  
Age Quod Agis

S/C/G: 184/177/134

Height: 5'5.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow650 View Post
remember, that even though its low cal, they are still pretty heavily processed and have all kinds of stuff in them that wouldn't be in your home cooked meals.

Werd...
sweetshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #8  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

We did Nutrisystem (kinda like freezer meals, but not as tasty) for a while and lost good, but just could not afford to continue. My solution was to do pattern my own plan at home with cereal for breakfast, lo-cal soup and salad for lunch, and a freezer meal with extra fresh veg and salad for supper, fruits for dessert. It can work good. I too am a bit concerned about all the overprocessed foods, but as you become more confident maybe you can begin to try your hand at cooking.

Personally I don't like any of the lean cuisine I have tried. My favorite brand is WW Smart Ones. Best are any of the pasta with white sauce and veggies, the baked ziti, salisbury steak with mac and cheese, and the enchiladas suzia. Again, I always team them up with a salad with lots of veg and another 1/2-1 cup of veg (green beans, broccoli, carrots, etc.) to make a complete and filling meal.

Last edited by mtnheart; 01-07-2009 at 10:44 AM.
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I don't eat strictly frozen meals, but I keep several around for emergencies and days I'm not feeling well. Most are way too salty for my preference, but there are a few I like.

I was just looking on the Lean Cuisine website and I love that they have the diabetic exchange information as well as the WW points (I'm following an exchange plan, and when WW was an exchange plan many of the frozen dinners had the exchanges written on the box, now it's usually points).

http://www.leancuisine.com/Products/DietExchanges.aspx

I want to try the butternut ravioli and some of the others in the spa cuisine line (the spa line is marketed as 100% whole grain and more veggies).

Healthy Choice has some really good ones too.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

I keep a few on hand in my freezer. Definitely good for those days when one feels "blah" and doesn't want to make a meal. And most of them are much more delicious now than they used to be.

Love the Lean Cuisine Spa Cuisine line. Smart Ones are my second choice, and they have some truly tasty desserts.

For a few months I ate a frozen meal for lunch almost every day, but I've never had only frozen all day long.

I think it's good that you're considering going higher than 1,000 calories. I bet if you filled up an extra 200 calories worth of fresh veggies & fruit that you'd feel stuffed & you'd be doing your body good.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

I really like Lean Cuisine Ravioli.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/153/145

Height: 5'9"

I'm glad you're going to eat at least 1200 calories Food, however delicious it is, is actually more like our body's fuel, so not giving it enough forces you to run on empty. That's never good!

For frozen meals I'm limited since I'm vegan, but I like Amy's frozen dinners. They have less unpronounceable ingredients, but they are pricey. I'm at school without a kitchen so all my meals are quick fixes. I find mircowaving bakes potatoes, steaming veggies and adding soy sauce, having raw veggies, microwaving veggie burgers, all to take less than five minutes and taste great. Best of luck! Make sure to drink a lot of water with each frozen meal though! Lots of sodium.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #13  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarwbz View Post
I really like Lean Cuisine Ravioli.
That is the only one I can tolerate. I'll be perfectly honest. Eating 1000 calories a day of frozen dinners you are getting nearly NOTHING in the way of nutrients. You need more food and some REAL food. I know that is more difficult but I truly believe you could make yourself sick with what you are doing.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

The only frozen meals I do now are the Ethnic Gourmet Entrees or Amy's Entrees--I get the Indian ones with Palak Paneer. If you are only doing frozen meals at least throw in some bagged salads and probably 100 oz. of water. Otherwise, the sodium is gonna kill you.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #15  
brookypooh

S/C/G: 213/see ticker/120

I dont do many frozen dinners I love to cook and it helps me know better what I am putting in my body kwim. anyways I did buy these panini things from lean cusine becuase they were on sale and they were supprisingly good. had cheese and meat and bread and didnt taste low fat. they are 330 cals (I think) 6 g of fat and 44 carb 21 protien. hope that helps!
brookypooh is offline   Reply With Quote