Old 09-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Default what does it feel like.........

Hello everyone,

I guess I'm feeling a little blue today and could use something pleasant to focus on. (I also don't know if this is the right place to ask this.... but... here goes... )

I have never been able to lose weight. I've struggled with it through all of my adult life and have never managed to lose more than 10 lbs.

So, my question is this...

Besides having better health and smaller clothes, what are the good things about losing weight? What does it *feel* like to be skinny? I honestly have no idea what it would feel like to be thin. Will my body shape in general change? Will I ever have hips and and curves in the right places?

I know that there are a few downsides to losing weight (looser skin, for instance). But, what are some of the *unexpected*, less obvious benefits to losing weight?

Thanks ladies. I so hope I get to know what it feels like to be thin this time.
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I wouldn't call myself "skinny" yet...but here goes...

Not having to worry about fitting into a seat - be it an airplane, roller coaster or restaurant booth.

Earning my couch time....somehow it's that much sweeter to kick back and do nothing after a 25 mile bike ride.

I'm not in love with my body yet...but I'm a long ways from the self hating place I was at when I was 265. I like that I have muscles now, it still amazes me sometimes to look in the mirror. I still have flappy arms...but so does my sister - and she's a stick.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #3  
April

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Being able to control your hunger and binges. Not the other way around.

The looks. People can just tell when you have lost weight. You get this healthy glow.

That feeling when you look into the mirror and you're like *BAM* I look good. Nothing and no one can get me down. I just seem like I'm always happier.

Although I must admit, the one thing I really despise about losing weight is that none of my favorite clothes fit right anymore. But I think that's a fair trade.
aprilcp12344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm never going to be "skinny", but being at a normal weight feels wonderful! I am light - I almost float when I walk. I have energy. I do things without even thinking about them anymore. My knees don't hurt. Here is a list of things I posted on another thread - it is things I can do now that I couldn't do before.
* Bend over and pick things up without a wall for support
* Hike with my kids
* Do dishes without leaning on the sink
* Walk to work without getting winded
* Run up the stairs
* Weed my garden without getting on my knees
* Pilates
* Enjoy clothes shopping
* Wear shorts and tank tops and belts
* Eat without feeling guilty
* Enjoy airline travel
* Help DH with building projects
* Cross my legs comfortably
* Trim and paint my toenails

HTH - really - it IS worth it!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/150

Height: 5'5''

I am not thin now... but I used to be in college. The thing I remember the most was that I was able to wear anything I wanted. And it felt good!!!! I had so many cute clothes. I also remember that I was more outgoing. I was happier and felt more comfortable in my own skin. I enjoyed not feeling like a "slob" when I needed to rest. Now, I feel a little guilty when I spend time in front of the TV. I agree with the crossing legs and painting toenails comment left above.

Overall, I remember feeling proud of myself for working hard to shape my body. That is what I miss the most now. I was proud of myself.
prunellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

You'll get to see collarbones!!! Weird, I know, but it's what I got really excited about.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/150/130

Height: 5'5''

Agreed- I also got really excited when I saw my collarbones sticking out! =)
Lindsey4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

The thing I miss most from being skinny is that after a bath, I used to wrap the towel around myself and walk around like that. Now, I have to worry about flashing people.
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #9  
FB

I've lost some weight but am not skinny. I'd prefer being strong and slender but know what you're asking.

~Seeing my true features is amazing. My face, the way it's supposed to look.
~I like the feeling of being strong, discovering new muscles.
~Not being limited by my weakness or lack of strength anymore.
~Feeling lighter on my feet, more graceful.
~ A 'tighter' body is a most wonderful feeling. I enjoy my muscles, not feeling fat rolls anymore. I feel sleeker, if that makes sense, taller, powerful.
~My energy levels are so much better. My husband says I'm nuclear energy.

When I first started I thought often about looks as there was no way I could envision how it *feels*. But the feel of becoming healthier is a zillion times better than improving my looks. It's just amazing.

You'll do it this time! Stick with it. Congrats on your loss so far!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #10  
Intuitive Eater

You know, I never really noticed that my collar bones had disappeared (i used to be thinner) until coming to 3FC and seeing others post about it a few weeks ago. Yes, I'd like to get my collar bones back! Oh, and Quillie, the towel thing ... I hate that! I can remember when my little towels would fit all the way around me! Now I use a bath sheet ... lots of room to wrap up in! lol Yeah, looking forward to fitting in a regular towel, too. (Tho I'll still probably use the sheets as I've grown used to them.) And sitting down without a "ball" in my lap (my big round belly!) that gets pinched between my bra and pants. So uncomfortable! (And unsightly!)

Last edited by Blue Serenity; 09-07-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #11  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

How long can I make this list?

It feels utterly phenomenal to be thin (pretty damn close to goal, anyway)! Highlights of my life include:

- not getting out of breath doing any normal thing, like walking up the stairs( which I jog up now because of the energy I have)
- walking through a crowd and knowing nobody is going to call me names
- going into any store and being able to find a lot of clothes that fit
- seeing not just my collarbones, but the cords in my neck
- being called an athlete
- more attention from men (not always appreciated LOL)
- seeing space around my butt when I sit in a chair instead of spillover
- the thrill of DH picking me up and not worrying about his back
- generally just feeling normal, which is an incredible relief

- and feeling like I can fly!!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #12  

My energy level is sky high. That's been the best thing so far. I love how much more I can do now. And for me, I know that I'm not gonna stroke out by the time I'm 50. That's not a casual statement for me. The way my knees hurt, my cholesterol levels and how hard it was to bounce back from even a cold or the flu, I firmly believe that I was on a road to some serious health problems in the not so distant future. I feel like I stood at a huge crossroads this summer and for whatever reason, I chose health and a longer, happier life. Weird, I know but it's true.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #13  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I've been skinny before and I'm pretty close to goal. What I love is the ability to wake up in the morning and to choose the cutest outfit I can find, rather the one that looks most acceptable. I like being able to wear the latest fashions and knowing I can look great with just a bit of lipgloss. I love pulling up my jeans and how they flatter so much and fit so perfectly that I feel sexy, rather than dumpy. Another benefit that always surprises me is how people treat me....as if I now belong to some secret club where no fat people are allowed. I think that's pathetic that people do this, but that's just how it feels. Why do I like it? Because I don't have to try so hard to fit in with people. I know it sounds shallow, but it's a shallow world!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I think the best part is not being so self conscious that you avoid doing things with friends. I feel like I am more game for anything now. I also love having more self esteem. I don't have to ask my boyfriend a thousand times if I look too fat in something.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Oh, yeah, and not running out of breath when I have run up and down my stairs.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote