Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #1  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Drinking Empty Calories

There was one other question I had that maybe some of you would know the answer to. While I don't drink calorie laden drinks that often, I do like wine... and sweet, white wines at that. I understand that 4 oz of this can cost you upwards of 90 calories. That is a lot of calories and a very small amount of wine.

I have tried some fruity vodka drinks (because I like the flavor and the calories are cut in half) to substitute and on occasion they are fine, but I am more of a wine girl.

Anyone know of any sweeter white wines that are lighter in calories? It is something that I could, but would rather not do without.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #2  
Keeping It Simple

S/C/G: 185/178.5/115

Height: 5' 2"

I enjoy wine too, but like Cabernet. Because I enjoy it and it has a definite health benefit, I have decided to build 4oz daily into my plan. The 100 calories it adds is worth it to me and as long as I include that in my 1200-1300 daily calorie allotment, no harm done. Any way you could be happy with just 4oz? At first, I thought why bother, but now I sip that 4 oz and it lasts about 30 minutes while I'm cooking my dinner and I'm happy.

Since you like the sweeter white wines, is there any way you could dilute it with some sparkling water?

Sometimes these things are just a matter of breaking previous patterns and forming new ones. And it's amazing how fast you adjust.
DayByDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

There are two things I refuse, absolutely refuse, to give up; wine and chocolate!

I know 4 oz sounds like a tiny amount, but I find that when I slow down and savor it that 4 oz is just the right amount. I work 100 calorie treats into my day, either wine or 100 cals worth of good quality dark chocolate. You don't have to give up everything you love!

Out of curiosity, what vodka drink are you having for 45-50 calories? A jigger of vodka is 97 calories according to Calorie King.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:06 AM   #4  
Waiting on a hot body

Yeah you guys are probably right. I'd get used to it I'm sure or maybe i can dilute it a bit. As for the vodka, each drink I make has only 1 oz (not 1.5 oz as in a normal shot) of 80 proof Raspberry Vodka and the other 2/3 is calorie free pink lemonade. Just gives it a little zip. I'm not in it for the alcohol content unless I have something to celebrate... just for the flavor.

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 07-08-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

I won't compromise on the wine. I have three to five glasses a day: two with lunch, two with dinner, one while cooking. If it's 300 calories, so be it. There's plenty of other stuff I can give up, but why would I say no to a perfectly good glass of pinot grigio.

I had to give up the reds because it resulted in serious memory loss, and the chardonnays lately were causing such dehydration that I couldn't stay on top of it.

The pinot grigio is a good compromise. Wine spritzer. Ewwwww!
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #6  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I actually just added wine to my diet. Red's in moderation have some health bennies so on the nights I am sure I won't get called in to work I'm having half a glass or so either while I'm making dinner or with dinner itself.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #7  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
There are two things I refuse, absolutely refuse, to give up; wine and chocolate!

I know 4 oz sounds like a tiny amount, but I find that when I slow down and savor it that 4 oz is just the right amount. I work 100 calorie treats into my day, either wine or 100 cals worth of good quality dark chocolate. You don't have to give up everything you love!
Wine and chocolate are two things I have nearly every day. Zenor is totally right about slowing down -- you learn to be satisfied with small amounts. There's no reason why you can't have a glass of wine you like; just work it into your daily calories and keep it to a serving!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #8  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

I think that if you really enjoy a glass or two of wine a day, budget it into your calorie allotment and enjoy it. 4 oz. can feel like a nice amount, if you just sip it slowly and savour it. It can feel like a lovely little daily reward for sticking to your plan and your commitment to yourself.

Unfortunately, wine is a headache trigger, for me, so I rarely drink it. My daily won't-give-it-up-treat is my latte. I make it with 1%, rather than skim milk. To me, the extra few calories is worth it for the bit of yummy richness. And the time I take out of my day to sit and savour it is my little break. My bit of time when I am totally "off the clock". I won't even answer the phone, at that time.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

I'm with you on that, Rain Dancer. The day we have to give up our guilty pleasures will be a sad, sad day.

Work it into the plan, and then make the plan work.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I think budgeting calories for your favorites is a key factor in diet success. I tend to add additional excerise time rather than cutting calories but either way, the additional calories have to be offset.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #11  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Oh, I really wanted a bud light over the weekend but talked myself out of it. Now my mouth is watering.... great lol
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #12  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

DMN-I could go for one also!!! I actually switched from BudLight to Mick Ultra, just because it isnt as Tasty to me so I tend to drink it ALOT slower!

I looked this up DMN-

Bud light 110 Calories per 12oz and 6.6grams carb
Bud Select 99 Calories per 12 oz and 3.1 grams carbs
Michelob Ultra 95 calories per 12 oz and 2.6 grams carbs
Miller Lite 96 calories per 12 oz and 3.2 grams carbs

This will sure help me make a better choice while I am out...hope it helps you too.

Last edited by StillTryin; 07-08-2008 at 11:57 AM.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #13  
~*Dawn*~

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Michelob ultra is my favorite but the store was out when we went the last time so I picked up bud light... Maybe this weekend I'll have one if I'm good this week lol
DMNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #14  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

There are so many studies which offer conflicting reports about the health benefits or risks of drinking alcohol. With just wine, there are studies that say just one glass a day can increase risk of breast and bowel cancer while others say that it can decrease fatty liver and risks of heart disease.

A single 4 oz. serving (what they call a "glass"...where are these 4 oz. wine glasses?) of a red wine is what most agree is acceptable for good health for a woman. Any more is considered "risky".

MalibuBeachBound, I think if you want to drink that one 4 oz. serving of wine and your doctor thinks it's a good idea, your body likes it and it's your moderate indulgence, then drink it and don't try to find a substitute!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #15  
Waiting on a hot body

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
There are so many studies which offer conflicting reports about the health benefits or risks of drinking alcohol. With just wine, there are studies that say just one glass a day can increase risk of breast and bowel cancer while others say that it can decrease fatty liver and risks of heart disease.

A single 4 oz. serving (what they call a "glass"...where are these 4 oz. wine glasses?) of a red wine is what most agree is acceptable for good health for a woman. Any more is considered "risky".

MalibuBeachBound, I think if you want to drink that one 4 oz. serving of wine and your doctor thinks it's a good idea, your body likes it and it's your moderate indulgence, then drink it and don't try to find a substitute!

Thanks SoulBliss. I can maybe help shine some light on these alcohol studies. I am a dental student with my Masters in Physiology who worked in the Department of Medicine (pharmacology and therapeutics lab) in a cancer hospital (prostate and breast cancer studies) for 3 years. From what everyone I worked with and the studies I have read have indicated, the risk in alcohol contributing to health problems including cancer is correlated to women who have over 2 servings of alcohol per day and men having over 4 servings per day. Lower than that, most studies have come back inconclusive. I know it is an aside, and things can always change, but it is good to know. Oh, and oral/head and neck cancers show QUITE an increase if you fall into one of those categories.