Old 05-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #16  

Most of us use food as a drug. Food not only tastes good, it feels good and it allows us to suppress all the emotions and circumstances of life that don't always feel good. Once we can learn to deal with the here and now, and confront and surrender to some of the unpleasantness that is part of the human experience, then food slowly begins to lose it's power. When we learn to simply accept the momentary passing of emotions such as disappointment, loneliness, fear, sorrow, worry, regret, etc., many of the foods we couldn't resist in the past, can almost entirely lose their appeal. And we also find that resisting these emotions causes more suffering than if we had just dealt with them when they arose and allowed ourselves to move on.
Hibiscus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #17  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to pop in and say that I have been lurking this site for years (no kidding, years) waiting for the motivation to start doing something and the post that the OP wrote just struck a cord with me. The advice given here has really been wise, wise advice. It is not an all or nothing deal like I have been walking around thinking. (I am starting to count calories, only thing that makes sense anymore) not to hijack the thread...

I too use to smoke and gave it up a few years ago (about 5). It is hard, but it gets easier. One of the reason smokers go back to smoking is they get this feeling that "the grass is greener" when they smoked and that is not the case. Trust me, you didn't lose a friend, you lost your worst enemy.

Food on the other hand is a different animal, you HAVE to eat, you have to let the tiger out the cage, so to speak, but it is an animal we can control. Unlike smoking. I am beginning to discover this myself that food on the other hand is not the enemy, but it is something that has to be managed in one's life. Its just the fact that some people simply are able to do it better than others (like some are naturally good at somethings, like science) and some are not (like me!) That is not a shame or a flaw, it just is. I have yet to meet one person who beats themselves up about being bad at math, so why do we beat ourselves up about being bad at managing food? I know it may not make a whole lot of sense it is just how I think of it~ for what it is worth.
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #18  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

You do have to eat, but certain foods are more "tiger" than others. Sugary carbs, high sodium...those things tend to make you want more and more. Protein is one way to stay "full" longer after eating, so including that at least first thing in the morning, with lunch and dinner, really helps. Eating 5-6 times a day, or about every 2-3 hours at most, helps. As many have said, it just takes time to learn to "do this", so don't beat yourself up for trying! Choose one "tiger" to slay, and start there.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #19  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

THe good thing about what you are going through is that many of us on this board have been through it. You have people here that can help get you through you tough times which helps a lot. THe biggest thing for me to grasp with weight loss is "taking it one day at a time" I think most people want to lose weight so fast that they forget the reality of it. Its not going to happen over night. I am doing the fat smash diet and I discovered that there are many healthy foods that I have come to love and sometime I cant believe it because they taste so good. Take it one day at a time start with baby steps because they add up! GOod luck
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #20  
Proud mama to Baby Bree!

S/C/G: 142/142/130

Height: 5' 4"

I think everyone has days like this. I know I do. I look in the mirror and can't believe what is looking back at me. I read a great article though about appreciating your body and it goes with the "love yourself" mentality. Look at your body as the wonderful thing that it is. It sounds cheesy, but think of all the work your body does for you each and every day! I look myself in the mirror each morning and find something to compliment, even if its the same thing as the day before and the day before that!

You've already done so much by giving up smoking! When you're feeling down about losing weight, remind yourself of how far you've come! Make a list when you're having a good day of all the reasons you're on this journey and refer to it on a bad day. Set up mini-goals to work towards instead of focusing on how much total weight you have to lose.

You're going to reach your goal! Just keep taking baby steps each day!
thebeautywithin is offline   Reply With Quote