Old 05-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #1  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Default Roughly many calories should I eat

I am sure there are a million topics on this...

I did so well back in 2006 but have struggled ever since on and off losing and gaining. I am sick, I am up 20 pounds by my lightest and really upset. I know its not a big deal, I can take it off but I need some help.

I got a two weeks free gym pass and have been going daily (taking one day off) - most days working out hard for over an hour (going to buy a 3 month pass today or tomorrow). Most days it says I burn close to 800 calories on the machines, I know there are off by about 20% so around 640. If I keep that up, how much do you think would be a good number of calories to eat? I know some days are kinda high... like 1800-2000 so that is probably why the scale isn't moving (and it just needs time).

Yesterday I actually worked harder and the machines said 1000, so 800 and I ate 1770 calories. That seems so high but at the same time I have to remember all the exercise. I don't want to ruin myself by eating too little and I am really bad for that.

I was thinking around 1500 but with that amount of exercise I am worried it is too low. Gaaaah HELP! lol

I know everyone is different and I will have to give it time and adjust it, but I just want a starting number...

FYI - my weight right now is 182 and I sit on my butt at a desk job.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #2  

For me, every time I start a new, harder workout or significantly up my current workout, the scale stops moving down - sometimes for up to a week or two. I've been told this is because I'm adding more muscle which also adds water weight. The scale eventually slides down again, pretty significantly. I know that doesn't answer your question about calories, but it's something to keep in mind.
Hibiscus8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

My current weight is close to yours and I am comfortable on a 1500 calorie target.

My workouts are fairly intense. I alternate between a short cardio day (45 min) with strength training and a long cardio day (1 1/2 hours). Both at a decent level of intensity. I log exercise for the purpose of keeping track - I am extremely conservative on estimating exercise calories - no more than 600 calories per hour and often less then that.

If you focus on the quality of the food you eat - 1500 can be enough.

Keep in mind that I am 46 which could make a difference. Metabolism slows with age.

I should note that as I have lost weight, i have actually increased my calorie target not lowered it primarily because my exercise intensity continues to increase.

Lori

Last edited by lorilove; 05-22-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added comment
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #4  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Hey soty...to lose weight you should be eating no more than about 1600 (unless your very physically active)
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

thanks guys, ill drop it down
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote