Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #1  
Time2fly

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'5"

Default The Knees, Please

I have questions for those who have been successful at losing pounds and keeping them off. Did any of you have knee issues before? To what degree did those problems resolve themselves when you lost the weight? I have very bad knees and about 110 pounds to lose. I am hoping I can put off replacements by sticking with my program this time, but I am wondering how much improvement I can hope for. Anyone with experience in this area?
Phoenix32203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #2  
Time2fly

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for your response, Meg. I had arthroscopic surgery a week ago and the Doc said that things are so bad in there that I'll be lucky to get another 5years out of them, and I'm only 40. Not good. His words inspired me to make myself a priority and get it done. He told me that every pound I lose will be like taking 4 pounds off of my knees. I've lost 6 pounds since then, so that's 24 and I swear I can feel every one of them!!!! It's good to know that others have staved off the surgery by lightening up.

By the way, you and others here have been a huge inspiration to me for years. Thanks for taking the time to be here day in and day out to help the rest of us find our way.
Phoenix32203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #3  
Meg

Congratulations on the six pounds! How motivating that you can feel a difference already!

When the time comes for replacements (and you'll know when it's time ), think how much easier your recovery will be at a healthy weight! I'm so glad you're making yourself and your health a priority.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #4  

Oh yes!

Losing weight made my knees feel much much MUCH (much much o so much...did I say much?) better.

Much better.

But exercise is key. I went to a physical therapist and had a full work up complete with prescribed exercises that I do every day. For me building the little muscles on the sides of my knees. (I spent a lot of time walking sideways down the halls at work! Hee!) and the little muscles in the top front of my thighs.

I hardly ever have pain! I do still struggle with stiffness and ominous twinges....I'll have to have knees replaced as well---but hey! That's someday....right now, my poor knees are doing okay....
Hiya is offline   Reply With Quote