Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 05-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Do you ever FEEL thin???

I'm starting to think there is something mentally wrong with me.... I've lost 83 lbs and yet, I still feel fat... I look in the mirror & still see rolls & blubber everywhere even though I KNOW I'm smaller, I went from a size 22-24 to a 12-13.... I still am uncomfortable eating out in public, because I'm afraid everyone is looking at me going "yeah, that's just what she needs, more food". Will this horrible self image always stay with me? No matter how much weight I lose or how "thin" I get??? I honestly thought that once I reached my current weight, I would feel thin & look at myself differently, but I really don't.... Is this normal? What's wrong with me?
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Maybe you could start doing some toning exercises? Maybe you are just feeling flabby?

I think our brains process our weight loss slower and therefore it takes a while for us to see who we are morphing into.

*hugz*
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

The feeling comes and goes. I have some days I feel great, and some days not so much, but it continues to get better and better.

One thing you'll be happy to hear - at your weight, the changes start happening faster, and they're different in a way I'm not sure I can describe. The changes in your figure with 50 pounds going from say 250 to 200, are different than the changes in your figure with 5 pounds going from 148 to 143. It's kinda neat stuff

I'm not sure what exercise you're doing, but that does make a huge difference. I slacked off this year, and actually kept losing, albeit very, very slowly. But I lost fitness and my figure changed. I'm back into it about 3 weeks now and feeling all strong again - and although my weight has not gone down my arms and legs look MUCH better.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #4  

Yeah, I kinda TOTALLY slack on the exercise part of this whole thing... I worked out for about 4 months and then my life fell apart & now I'm back to not exercising. Most of what I have lost has been without exercise. I know I need too, I know I need to tone what I have, but I can not find the motivation to do it. I walk EVERYWHERE! I moved back to Boston & because of that have gotten rid of my car, it's more of a hassle then it's worth in the city. So walking everywhere is pretty much the only exercise that I get, but I do a lot of it.... I just want to feel my weight, ya know... I don't right now, I tell my friends I still have "fat girl syndrome", that's really the only way I describe it....
Old 05-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There's an actual neurological explanation for this.

See, your brain does something called "pattern recognition and completion" for things that you see frequently. You recognize some basic features of an item you see all the time, and your brain fills in the rest to save time and energy, and to allow you to identify things you see all the time faster. So your brain recognizes the basic elements of you and fills in the rest of the image of you from previous memory. When we lose weight, our brain takes in the basic features of our previous selves, and fills them in with its old image from memory, so we literally see ourselves as bigger than we are.

It goes away with time, as your brain replaces the old pattern images with new ones. It took me about a year and a half to see a thinner me maybe half of the time, so it's a slow process. In the meantime, looking at photos can help, because photos are immune from this phenomenon...your brain doesn't recognize the pattern of "you" because the scale of a photo is so different. So when you're feeling that way, look at a current photo.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post

See, your brain does something called "pattern recognition and completion" for things that you see frequently. You recognize some basic features of an item you see all the time, and your brain fills in the rest to save time and energy, and to allow you to identify things you see all the time faster. So your brain recognizes the basic elements of you and fills in the rest of the image of you from previous memory. When we lose weight, our brain takes in the basic features of our previous selves, and fills them in with its old image from memory, so we literally see ourselves as bigger than we are.

It goes away with time, as your brain replaces the old pattern images with new ones. It took me about a year and a half to see a thinner me maybe half of the time, so it's a slow process. In the meantime, looking at photos can help, because photos are immune from this phenomenon...your brain doesn't recognize the pattern of "you" because the scale of a photo is so different. So when you're feeling that way, look at a current photo.
Wow, what a great explanation. That is so true about the photos vs. the mirror.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #7  

First at all you should believe that you are thin before you do diet (just a method of the low of attraction)... It's really useful, make a big self-confidence
Refresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

See, your brain does something called "pattern recognition and completion" for things that you see frequently. You recognize some basic features of an item you see all the time, and your brain fills in the rest to save time and energy, and to allow you to identify things you see all the time faster. So your brain recognizes the basic elements of you and fills in the rest of the image of you from previous memory.

So our friends and family could still be seeing us heavier also then?
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I went from 190 to 139 in the last 4 months. I still see me as fat when I look in the mirror. Even when I'm wearing my size 4 Luckys. Its only when someone takes a picture of me that I realize that I am actually thin. We seem to be unable to shake our image of ourselves.....
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post

I had no idea this was happening, this explains so much. Thanks for the great info!

I really haven't lost a ton of weight yet, but I really think losing weight has changed the way I see my body in general. I never really noticed that much but now I see rolls and fat everywhere I look. *sigh* I'm glad to see it will get better in time.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #11  
Workin' It

I still look in the mirror and see my pudgy tummy a lot. Some days are better than others. When I've slacked on my exercise or have eaten badly I notice it more than on other days. I'm getting better, and see the skinnier more than I see the pudgier most of the time. I did try on a bathing suit last week and freaked out a little - thought it and I looked terrible. Then the saleswoman told me how great it looked. Odd feeling.

It is getting easier, though.

Congrats on your loss!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Sometimes I see myself as "thin", but not always. I think I've just gotten used to how I am now, and it just seems normal. Sometimes I catch a view of myself in an especially flattering outfit, or feel my leg muscles or ab muscles during a work out (not nearly so much fat there any more) and I do "feel thin". But, I saw a photo in my swimsuit from the weekend and my first thought was - OMG look at those fat thighs! But DH objected and said anyone else would see someone who is thin!

So, I don't know if that will ever go away totally ?
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm having the exact same issues, and I wish I could give you some good advice.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #14  

Wow, what a great explination mandalinn82 gave! I never knew that there was a real psychological reason that people view themselves that way... And I'm also glad to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way. I wanted to lose this weight more to FEEL better about myself, rather then LOOK good. It's starting to effect me that I don't really feel much better then I did at 230 lbs.... I kinda feel like all this work has been in vein cause I still feel the same... Well hopefully over time, this feeling will go away & I'll begin to see myself as how I am rather then how I used to be.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Great explanation. I agree--there are some days I feel "fat" and I find many times it is directly corelated to how "on plan" I have been with the nutrition and exercise. I do feel that photos help a lot.

Extasee--I really, really can't emphasize enough to you how much better your are going to feel once you get into your regular exercise routine. The endorphins alone are gonna give your mental state a boost. The exertion is going to rock your figure too. I am so excited for you. Let us know how it's coming along.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 05-28-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote