The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #241  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Why is Ron even allowed to be ON the show? Don't they have to be able to do this is a relatively healthy manner? If Bob "allows" Ron to not push I men, what's the point? His poor son too. Maybe they are hoping his knee will get better as he loses?

I think it was BS that Helen stayed too. She knows she can do it so maybe she offered her daughter some big bucks??

I am a Tara fan. I also love the purple team! It was a good show tonight.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 256/233/140

Oh my goodness, Shanon's derby name Flower Power was one of the funniest moments on The Biggest Loser. Second only to her home interview with the prominent bag of flour in her kitchen. Hah!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

LOL Tetra! Yeah, the whole nite as they weighed in, I was telling my dd, well, Shanon's going home bc she's got to get arrested for fighting right about now. She couldn't figure out how I knew pink was going to be on the bottom and Shanon would leave, so I had to explain about how in Jan she was arrested and this was shot in October/November so she needed to get home so she could be in the news. It's weird, isn't it?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #244  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

hah! I forgot about her getting arrested

I have to say there is really no one left that I really WANT to send home. I mean yeah some of them have been annoying at some time or another, but I will say this season is lacking the ugh factor that the last couple seasons had. I'm sure it will ramp up soon. My guess is they control the good and bad footage to try and suck everyone in and play our feelings.

When it goes to Bob v. Jillian it usually gets meaner.

Tara was annoying me last night and I usually like her. Quit worrying about Laura and worry about yourself! "I cant carry Laura, I cant carry Laura"

Man how anyone remains friends after the show airs is beyond me.

I would say highest on my hit list right now is probably Helen. First for putting herself above her daughter when her daughter CLEARLY needed more help and second because she looked seriously annoyed at Shanon the last 2 weeks when she didnt win the challenge.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #245  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/135

Height: 4'10"

Agree with all of you who were disappointed with Helen. Most parents put their kids first, but glad to see that Shanon has done well.

I record the show on the DVR so I can watch it all at once without commercials. Because of that you pick up on things and one was how much time they gave Tara last night. She had an entire 3 minutes focused on her with Jillian when she needed 5 seconds to rest. Not to mention all of the other minutes (at least 4 different times if not more) where she was being interviewed and harped on Laura.

Really loved how everyone "helped" Ron in the key challenge. I know that there are a lot of questions as to why is he on the show if he can't work out and why when he has had gastric bypass. But really felt good about how everyone was sincerely trying to help him. What a change from last season.

I hope that Mike does well and like Kristen as well. The ones that crack me up are the Blue team, and think they will go far because of their attitude and how much weight they have left to lose.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #246  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

The Pink Team needs to be kept away from the peroxide. I find it really troubling when mother/daughter teams have nearly identical hairstyles. I, too, want Helen to go because of her grating nasal voice & her passive/aggressive style.

The Yellow Team may not be long for the ranch, either. Or maybe it's just my wishful thinking.

Why do I find the female teams so much more annoying than the male teams? I feel guilty about this. Like a supervisor being harder on her female employees than the male because of some vague competitive feeling going on.

I'm still a fan of Tara, but I think she's cracking under the pressure of walking around with a big bull's-eye on her back. She's the team member most likely to be voted off the minute she slips up.

They seem to be going to the bigger teams just when it could keep certain protagonists on the show safe while their other team member goes home. The splitup will clearly help Brown, Green & maybe Purple, though I do like that Purple Mom, with her dedication to yoga & her own sobriety. Also I think her "skunk" highlights are more subtle than her daughter Kristin's.

This is what it takes to make a Biggest Loser heroine for me: A chest voice (not a nasal voice), decent highlights, an inherent niceness & a willingness to work hard & talk as little as possible about one's kids/family at home.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #247  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/199

Saef, that is HILARIOUS!

Helen reminds me so much of my MIL that it is scary! Last night, when she put herself before her daughter my DH actually said, "Yep, she is exactly like my mom."

That passive-aggressivenes bugs the heck out of me!!!

I also abhor the skunk highlights.

So is everyone assuming Blane didn't lose his usual double digits due to water loading last night?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #248  

What I got from all the Tara footage was the idea that she felt she had to carry Laura until Laura totally "got it" or totally bought in--not that she was saying it would be a permanent thing. Tara's "I hope she lost more than me" at weigh-in kind of speaks to this.

Quote:
This is what it takes to make a Biggest Loser heroine for me: A chest voice (not a nasal voice), decent highlights, an inherent niceness & a willingness to work hard & talk as little as possible about one's kids/family at home.
For me, take out the highlights and sub in good eyebrows.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #249  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Hmm, on the timing thing and editing the show last week, is it too early to know that Tara is one of the finalists? They're all back home now and the final 4 should be identified. I wonder if it's like when Alli started getting alot of time about her mom issues and then the gruesome 4some from last season plus Michelle's mom issues. Have we noticed a trend of them wanting us to build relationships with the ultimate winners so that we care, buy the products, etc?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #250  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Absolutely, sportmom. I saw they tried really hard with Vicky toward the end of last season. They played the "for my kids" card over & over. But the damage had already been done by our witnessing her behavior throughout the season. Who was going to buy anything Vicky endorsed? That was a great big "save" of NBC's butt when Heba & Vicky failed to triumph.

What I worry about for Tara is a potential "Blonde Envy" factor. I think Coleen (of Coleen & Jerry last season) may have been a victim of this. I liked her quite well & I thought she was going to make it all the way, given the amount of time they got, but she didn't.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

I like Tara a lot. She's my favorite and I hope she wins it all. Mostly because she is dialed in and motivated. She's taking control of her life back.

Laura does not seem as motivated and is just going through the actions at the ranch. I think that's what's frustrating to Tara. There's a huge difference in performance when it comes to your mental outlook.

I've been ready for Aubrey to go home since she came back. I don't care for her at all. She's the only one left that I don't care for, though. Everyone else I like to some degree.

Definitely surprised by Helen's choice to send her daughter home. I don't think Helen is much of a threat, though, so I doubt she'll be around for much longer.

Love Tara, love the blue team, love Dane, love Mikey, love Kristin, and like everyone else!

I'm so glad this season has been less snarky and more "feel good" than last season. I hope it stays that way now that they are going blue vs. black.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #252  
Token Vulcan

I saw someone mention on another board from hearing Jillian's radio show that this is their last week, that the contestants go home tomorrow.

I was glad Dane won the challenge and immunity. Blaine always seemed to do a little better with challenges than Dane, which I thought made him almost as big a threat in another sense. Although it was hard, from my point of view anyway, to judge what made some teams' lights change when it seemed like at the moment it changed they were maintaining the same pace.

Anyway, it was cute to see Jillian's reaction when she realized Dane was still there. And I thought it was funny that it was Ron who told Bob what happened at the elimination. Made me think everybody else was too scared to do it and Ron seemed to have an air of "we did the right thing from our point of view and I'm sticking by it." I almost sensed a slight battle of wills going on there, lol.

I was kind of expecting Shanon to go home, just from hearing about the "flour incident" and knowing she had to have been one of the early eliminees. Plus, Jerry mentioned he's been keeping in touch with her as well. "Flower power"--too funny.

Why did Bob wait until Week 7 to start coming up with alternate exercises for Ron?

The way they edited it, it seemed like Jillian and her team had a harder time adjusting to no gym...yet her 2 female teams were at the top of the board...and Dane, having immunity, may have opted, as others before him, to do a little waterloading. Seriously, I think when they have challenges for immunity, they should move them to right before the weigh-in, so people don't have the chance to waterload.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 02-19-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #253  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I'm in a bit of a minority I think. I cannot stand Tara. I think its HORRIBLE how she talks about Laura. She talks about what a failure Laura is before she even has the chance to try. its not a wonder Laura has no spirit her supposed best friend thinks so lowly of her. If I were Laura watching the show and seeing the way Tara talked about me I dont know that I could continue to be her friend. She ought to try a little support and encouragement instead of being so negative.

I also dont get why people are upset with Helen. How many of us...well me for sure...are overweight because they ALWAYS put everyone else before themselves. What everyone else needs has always been more important. Shanon is a grown woman now, I say good for Helen for sticking up for herself and finishing this. Bob and Jillian both talk time and time again how we have GOT to make ourselves a priority.

Anyway, just my little opinions.

Last edited by Hun.e.B; 02-20-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #254  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
Seriously, I think when they have challenges for immunity, they should move them to right before the weigh-in, so people don't have the chance to waterload.
I agree 100%. They should do the challenge and go STRAIGHT to weigh-in.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #255  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Why didn't Jillian just do 30DS with her team?! bah...

She even says herself that it is better than phoning it in at the gym.

Hmm...surprised they didn't do it just to endorse it. Would've been a great ad.