The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #136  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Ali Vincent would be cool...I still like her.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #137  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
Don't forget...last season's shows stopped taping sometime in August-September. The contestants were already home before Season 6 began airing...then in mid-September they began filming this season. The live finale was in mid-December, 4 months after last season's penultimate show. So the whole time we were watching last season, those guys were already home trying to lose for the finale. It can be a bit confusing at times, especially when they incorporate holidays and stuff in that are still a long way off. Remember how last season they acted like it was Thanksgiving, but the show was actually taped sometime in the summer? Anyway, so the finale happened live in December but we are now watching shows that began taping in the middle of September so Ali is "less pregnant" again. I read that she was actually taping BL when she had to go have her baby. I wonder if she'll miss any tapings. If she does, I think we should have Richard Simmons as a temp host. or maybe Ali Vincent, just to keep the name the same.
You are correct.
I was just going to point the timing thing out, but you explained it well.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #138  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Ack - There was a woman at my gym today working out with her trainer who was like mini-Joelle. Whine grump complain talk talk talk talk. Driving me crazy.. And then she said "I need to be more like JoElle and fake it til I make it.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #139  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
fake it til I make it
Didn't Icky use that phrase a lot last season?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #140  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

I think it is pretty funny they do the fake holidays- its not like we are so stupid we think they went into a time warp. :P

ennay- I think that lady should pick a new role model.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #141  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkiegirl View Post
Mandi got on my nerves last night. I wasn't really warming up to her from the beginning but this constant crying about wanting to see her kids was annoying me. She seems to have the attitude that she should just be handed a prize because she has kids. So do Filipe, Dane, Blaine...heck, Blaine's wife is about to give birth! If being away from home was going to be that hard, then don't sign up for it! I'm sorry, but she cries when she's afraid she's getting sent home and she cries when she doesn't win getting sent home.
I really don't understand how people can get annoyed at parents that miss their children. She has already said that she hasn't spent more than, what, 2 weeks away from her kids. They are still pretty young. As a mother of 2 boys, I completely understand. I would miss them so much it would hurt, but I would be there improving my health so that I could do more and be there longer for them in the end. The emotions are going to be there, you can try to fight it but they end up winning. Since my pregnancies, I am very emotional. I think in the moment she was just thinking of her kids and that after it was all said and done, she will probably look back and be okay that she did stay and that she didn't eat all the crap Carla did. yuck.

Ali did have her baby on January 12, 2009. Her name is Megan Hope. In case anybody cares.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #142  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkemomx2 View Post
Didn't Icky use that phrase a lot last season?
fake it till you make it is what Bob tells you to do in his book
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #143  
Token Vulcan

Aangel, it's not the fact that Mandi misses her kids that I found annoying. It's that she seems to be using the fact that she has kids as the reason why she should win the opportunity to go home, as though it entitles her automatically to something without having to earn it. If so, why not give the same consideration to Filipe, Dane and especially Blaine, whose wife is about to have a baby? I'm sure they miss their children as well but they don't act like they've been sabotaged or had something purposely taken away from them when they don't win challenges. Tara wins the jumping challenge yet they have to console Mandi. Joelle wins the temptation yet they have to console Mandi. Mandi eats a single slice of pizza and has to be consoled over it not being enough. The girl doesn't seem happy to be there yet doesn't seem happy when she thinks she might be bottom and get sent home. What can I say except that she is coming across to me as either blaming other people/things for her failures (getting mad at Joelle who didn't even eat anything for the temptation) and not being a sport enough to let others enjoy their victories.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 01-25-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #144  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

Trekkiegirl: I see what you mean now, I misunderstood at first. Sorry about that! I don't know why she feels she should win just because of her kids. I'm surprised nobody on the show is getting mad at her. Everybody is just focused on Joelle, I guess.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #145  
Token Vulcan

It's okay, aangel. Maybe I was a little harsh on her cuz I never really warm up to chronically weepy contestants. But she stood there after the temptation glaring daggers at Joelle, who hadn't even eaten anything, and said she herself deserved to win and was bitter about it. I can understand frustration with herself over losing but I'm not really liking the "I deserve it" attitude.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #146  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

I agree about the contestant whining and the "I deserve it more" attitude. NONE of them deserve to win anything unless they work for it and beat the others for it. I mean, the real reason they are on the ranch is to lose weight and get healthy, that's it. Yes, it's awesome if they can get some prizes or whatever, but they are there to lose weight. Do they miss their kids and family? I'm sure they do, and I would too, but no one deserves anything more than another contestant just because they have kids at home.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I think Mandi is so whiny because she's out of her comfort zone. I mean this gal has even lower self esteem than just about anyone we've seen on this show. And, who can blame her? Did anyone else catch what she was saying when she got her phonecall home? That it was good for her husband to hear that she's doing well because he can start believing in her or somethign to that effect? Red flags! Either way, the whining does bother me. But, I have a feeling thta she'll only improve from here.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

WOW Dan has lost 101LBS!!! I was so excited to see that. I really wanted to see Jillian get a hold of Dave though. I really do think the Brown team needed to stay. Even though I don't like Joelle, I'm glad to see she pushed her self and saw what she could do.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #149  
Token Vulcan

Was tonight the most predictable show or what? Between the previews from last week and the sureness of the teams voting along the Bob/Jillian team lines, it was a given that orange would go home, even before Dave opened his mouth. The only thing that surprised me was that they didn't put Joelle last as the tiebreaker. I feel like Filipe is just now generally peeved at everybody on Jillian's team.

Anyway....Dan looked great. Dave....well, on the surface Dave reminds me a lot of LT. They talk a big game ("gonna shock everybody at the finale", "eyes will be opened,", etc.) but...I'm not expecting him to look much different than he does now. I hope I'm wrong. Dave did have a point, although it came off sounding more like an excuse. He said it was meant to be a lifestyle change and I was reading between the lines that I think he was trying to say he was going to do it in his own time and his own way to make it work for him. I mean, most contestants that are eliminated seem to go into overdrive in the ensuing months before the finale. Then the hoopla is over and they gravitate to a higher weight. That whole period of time is still kind of out of the "normal life" mode because they're working extra hard for the finale and I don't think most of them keep up at that level afterwards.

I've noticed Ron has been really restricted with what he does and wonder why this hasn't been mentioned. He was barely seen at all tonight. He never does anything high impact, like jump or run. When Bob had his tirade with Joelle and made the group sprint, Ron walked. I definitely think Ron has been excused from having to go all out; I just wonder why the show is suddenly mum about a player's restrictions on exercise. Last season, we were told off the bat that Jerry S. and Tom had been given a restriction; this season, Jerry H. confirmed it after he'd been eliminated and nothing's been said about Ron at all.

Dane is a machine. Black team has been doing really well since the beginning but this guy is a machine.

Next week's preview is somewhat misleading. In the shot where Mike says "I want to be here, I'm trying my best" sitting right behind him is David! They obviously took that from tonight's pre-elimination scenes.

BTW, Jerry said that Daniel wants to be a Baptist minister.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 01-28-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #150  

What I noticed was how close Dan's mental issues (confidence, ability to work hard, fear of failure etc) were to Joelle's. I'm trying to find a good reason other than sexism that he got a kind edit on this one while she's made out to be an whiny, overly emotional headcase, but I'm not getting anywhere.