The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #121  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

okay, why get rid of Damien when he wants to be there and keep JoElle when she clearly does NOT want to be there or work for her weight loss. I'm really disappointed in them for voting Damien off.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Well, her own team tried to vote her off, Jillians team, voted off their competition, its just the game. I did think it was a little early in the show to start the game playing though.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 260/188/165

Height: 5'4"

I think Joelle is destroying Bob's team and that's why Jillian's team voted off Damien. And Joelle is sure to be below the yellow line again and again unless she pulls her head out of her !@#$% and kicks it in gear.
Carla's pretty funny and would have been better to stay on the ranch.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #124  
Token Vulcan

Okay, first off, way too much Carla and Joelle time. Way too much. I'm on the fence about Joelle. On the one hand, she is getting it from all sides, and they are being really harsh on her. On the other, I can sympathize with her teammates who are frustrated when, like Filipe said, they are giving 110% and she "fakes it until she makes it."

Mandi got on my nerves last night. I wasn't really warming up to her from the beginning but this constant crying about wanting to see her kids was annoying me. She seems to have the attitude that she should just be handed a prize because she has kids. So do Filipe, Dane, Blaine...heck, Blaine's wife is about to give birth! If being away from home was going to be that hard, then don't sign up for it! I'm sorry, but she cries when she's afraid she's getting sent home and she cries when she doesn't win getting sent home.

Curious about orange team missing from the temptation. Why didn't they say anything?

Tara's vomiting...the first time she did it, I was thinking, oh, poor girl, she puked. The second time she did it, I was like, okay, hmmm...but then last night when she said she threw up in her mouth, I was like, okay, ex-model girl knows how to vomit when she needs to. I admire her strength and stamina but I'm seeing she is also quite clever.

I knew the warm, fuzzy "we are all one team" feeling wasn't going to last but I admit, I was surprised it happened this fast and in those circumstances. But then, I do think Jillian's team made the best move for them strategically. Granted, they haven't become the blue vs. black shirts yet (and if/when that happens we don't even know if the same people will end up together) but they are Jillian vs. Bob's team, and they are going to protect themselves and their own first. They got rid of the stronger competitor and weakened Bob's team.

As far as the drama quotient, I knew they were going to amp it up this season when I saw how interminably long they spent on Carla and Joelle's histrionics. No, actually, I knew it sooner...when Bob cut loose on Joelle last week and that's what became the focus of the show's ads and mention on other shows.

SPOILERISH INFO BELOW - BEWARE!

The previews for next week...well, I came across some things online that lead me to believe that 1) Ron isn't going anywhere anytime soon (and therefore, neither is Mike); and 2) that Dan and Joelle don't make it all the way. Apparently, Ron was in danger of losing his council seat because his fellow council members hadn't excused his absence...but then they voted 4:2 in his favor. Anyway, it mentioned that Ron returned for 1 week for Christmas and then had to go back. The show started taping sometime in September, right? So either Ron makes it that far or, if he does get sent home now, he gets to come back.
Also, and this may not mean anything, but the way Jerry said it...in one of his post-elimination interviews he was asked who he keeps in touch with from the show. He mentioned Joelle and Dan. He said he and Dan talk "all the time." Now, the show is either still taping or just recently ended taping, right? I mean, 5 months would presumably be Sept-January. So...if he and Dan are talking "all the time", I figured that means Daniel has not spent the whole time on the ranch...and now that Jillian's team has essentially gone against Bob's team's wishes (even after asking them), I think all bets are off. There's no way Bob's team would send home 2 brown people and 2 of their own teammates over Dan. Just hypothesizing here...excluding Joelle, if the teams voted along team lines, it would cause a tie...Joelle would be the swing vote. Would she turn against her teammates that wanted her gone...or will she follow Bob's rule of keeping his team intact and oust Dan?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #125  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

I thought that when they started showing the season they had all just gone home from the ranch (or at least that portion of the show was over) and then they are working out at home the same amount of time (while the show is actually airing) is that not right?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #126  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Jillian (on her radio show) has said that this season is longer than usual. So it is highly possible that a "week" isn't a week on campus.

Is the finale in April or May?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #127  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Ohhhhh.... I have a great idea, the people at home come back, and the people on the ranch GO HOME.... oh, i called it. =)
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #128  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post

I am getting a little fed up with people wanting to go home. We are two to three weeks into this and you need to see your family (yellow team). Did you not know from watching all the years past that the point is to work at the ranch for 3 months. The whining about going home is getting old.

I totally agree. If she needed to go home so badly, then she should've eaten more in the temptation. One piece of pizza??!! And then she was mad about the silver (and blue) team eating more. Do what ya gotta do!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #129  
Token Vulcan

BTW, I just read on Ali's blog that Dr. H needed to do some follow-up questions and tests with Dan (all turned out fine) and that Dan excused himself from the temptation. She also said, with all the stuff going on that show, they just didn't have time to mention it.

Okay....because we really needed to hear Carla go off on Joelle for so long? This show's not repetitive enough already?

They also have some new bonus videos up at the NBC website. After the challenge, Tara threw up again. A lot. Most likely drank a lot of water and it all came back up.

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 01-21-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 260/188/165

Height: 5'4"

Ooh, I heard Jillian say they were taping week 12 as of 1/18/09 (from her radio show.) And looking at the DVR on Direct TV, this season is 20 weeks long. Does that make any sense? That they would only have 3 months at home?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #131  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

The timing of the show has confused me all along. I've been trying to gauge how pregnant Allison is because at the end of last season she was very pregnant but now she doesnt look that pregnant and IRL I think she is due right about now.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #132  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

lol- I have been doing the same thing! I thought she had her baby before the finale though ?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

No, at the finale she said she was due in 2-3 weeks. Still very much pg. She looks like she's about 6 mos in this week's episode, so it must have been filmed in September? They are still talking about it being 98 degrees - prob too hot for October, tho I realize they are in deserty conditions.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #134  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

My mom told me she had her baby like 2 weeks ago. Yeah the whole her been pregnant thing is confusing. She was HUGE at the finaly.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #135  
Token Vulcan

Don't forget...last season's shows stopped taping sometime in August-September. The contestants were already home before Season 6 began airing...then in mid-September they began filming this season. The live finale was in mid-December, 4 months after last season's penultimate show. So the whole time we were watching last season, those guys were already home trying to lose for the finale. It can be a bit confusing at times, especially when they incorporate holidays and stuff in that are still a long way off. Remember how last season they acted like it was Thanksgiving, but the show was actually taped sometime in the summer? Anyway, so the finale happened live in December but we are now watching shows that began taping in the middle of September so Ali is "less pregnant" again. I read that she was actually taping BL when she had to go have her baby. I wonder if she'll miss any tapings. If she does, I think we should have Richard Simmons as a temp host. or maybe Ali Vincent, just to keep the name the same.