Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 12-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Rosa Parks refuses to move to the back of a bus (1955 , Montgomery, Alabama)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Getting ready for some cold and some snow here. Found that the storm window in my office wasn't closed down in its winter position; apparently, I'd been enjoying the earlier unseasonably warm weather and just assumed that winter would never arrive. Well, it has.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including a third rendition of the Thanksgiving dinner. That's all done. There's only enough leftover turkey for a single luncheon sandwich. The cranberry relish remains my favorite item. Wish we'd make that all year round. It just tickles me that whole oranges are ground into the mix. It's hardly healthy - a bunch of sugar is added after all the healthy stuff.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for being the good aunt. Our DGD absolutely loves when her uncle reads to her.

maryann - Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for a job that's meaningful. That's a real privilege in life.

Karen (karenrn) - So glad that you avoided the flooded areas. The tragedy of a car swept away made headlines around here. Knives Out looks good.

curlyjax - I share your feeling of “big brother” - doesn't appeal to me. Good luck surviving Walmart.

Penny. - Breakfast for lunch works for me. Don't need extraneous 'rules' in life.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress
To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how: . . .

Relax your rules for others.

To relax your rules for other people, do the following: . . .

o Think about someone you admire who has more relaxed ideas about how others should be. What rules does he or she have?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 246.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I braved Walmart; it actually wasn’t too bad. I did a bunch of errands including buying my pre-surgery anti-bacterial wash, and got some stocking stuffers as well. We are getting a potentially big storm tonight/tomorrow so i’ll have to zip into the grocery store and see if there’s any food left. I’ve been eating leftovers so am veggie deprived.
DD bought me a late B-day present of chocolate which was very nice of her, and just the right amount. I have nagged her a lot that she needs to get going back to school early to avoid the storm, hopefully she will take it seriously.
I need to get going- happy Sunday all! I can't believe its December 1 already!

Last edited by curlyjax; 12-01-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

I didn't quite meet my November exercise goal, but close enough to set the same one for December. The extra day will help!

I'd intended to do more cooking today, but we still have lots of food. We'll make fried rice for supper which will use up some of what's in the fridge.

Exercise: +30, 1155/1200 minutes for November
Old 12-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight floated back down another smidge. Evenings are a mental battle, especially when the youngest needs help getting food.

Bill, thanks for starting the new month. May you win the bid for the last turkey sandwich.

Curly, you make me wonder if my family would miss vegetables if I cooked without for a while. My dh is not a vegetable lover. Safe travels for your daughter!

Joy, that five minutes of missed exercise is kinda killing me.

Maryann, yay for the 18 hours! I am trying to get a full week but keep blowing it.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Yesterday was OP thankfully. Credit for stationary bike and stretches.

I took a “before” picture on the WW site because I have joined a December challenge. Crazy to see myself in that way. I really forget I am a soon to be 56 year old. I don’t feel it. I set my goals as staying within my points allotment and exercising a certain amount. I’ll let the weight take care of itself.

I am trying a new stuffed peppers recipe in the pressure cooker. I will also make hummus for the school week.

Gardenerjoy: credit for using up the leftovers. The holidays messed up my shopping and I had to toss some food which I hate to do.

Curleyjax: credit for getting to do list items checked off.

BBE: Is there a Boston law against out of season cranberry relish ? We here in California are more forward thinking.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Quick check in here. On plan yesterday including a hike with Hiking Suzanne, weight up a smidge. This morning I've gone to the regular grocery store and Costco. A friend is coming over soon, so more later or tomorrow.

Karen
Old 12-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Yesterday I followed my food plan and today I’m on track to do it again.

I cannot figure out how to fix the broken printer, and I live in a small town where there are no repair facilities. The printer is kind of old so probably not worth sending it off even though it was expensive to start with. However, I still have over $600 worth of ink left, so DH talked me into buying a used printer (newer model though) that uses the same kind of ink.

Curlyjax - I keep wondering if my leg pain is being caused by needing a hip replacement. It feels like sciatica, but maybe it’s not.

This whole “big brother” thing freaks me out. I have even thought about giving up my CVS coupons for privacy, but I save so much. Goodness knows how much private info I’ve given away online because I want to look at certain websites. My DH is more privacy conscious than I am, he still has a flip phone.

Karen - have fun with your friend.

Penny - I have to be strict with myself at night. I just have to set that time that I'm going to quit eating and tell myself I can have whatever it is I want tomorrow. It usually works.

maryann - I understand about the pictures. When I look in the mirror I don’t feel I look old ... until I look at a picture. However, the same is true of me being fat. I don’t feel that fat when I look in a mirror ... until I look at a picture. Weird.

Bill - my DH misses snow. He has relatives in Minneapolis and keeps talking about going there for Christmas. I am happy to stay here where the weather is lovely in winter.

Last edited by CJZee; 12-01-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:46 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Default Monday - Enrico Fermi sets 1st self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction (1942, Chicago)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - There's snow outside. And it's cold. I'm a tad warmer in my office since I (rather late) closed the storm window. Did our standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi, despite the threats. "Weather reports say it won't start until 4pm" said the wife who trusts weather reports. She was right.

Dinner was omelettes, giving me, one more time, the opportunity to spell the word. Seems that the two spell checkers that I use don't agree. I'll stick with it that way. There's a long cold day ahead. Rain is predicted; it'll either wash all this away or saturate it so that it freezes into a cake of ice that lasts until spring. Perhaps I'm stuck talking about the weather since I don't want to mention that the New England Patriots lost their football game last night. So, let's talk about Jimmy Hoffa. Will the FBI make yet-another dig looking for him? Will he be holding the painting stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum?

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yay for consuming what's in the fridge. Fried Rice is a food that I have to work to stay with a bounded portion.

maryann - LOL at, "Boston law against out of season cranberry relish?" I presume that you don't grow cranberries in California, is that so?

Karen (karenrn) - Beware the samples at Costco!

curlyjax - Hope your DD took off for college before this stuff settled in. Congrats for raising a daughter who gives you a small amount of chocolates.

Penny. - Helping kids get food is always a mental battle. I can't believe that, as a grandfather, I still feel the need to finish off the DGD's uneaten food.

CJZee - I suspect that your DH misses snow - not snow combined with sleet and rain. Can't believe he still has a flip phone.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress
To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how: . . .

Relax your rules for others.

To relax your rules for other people, do the following: . . .

o Think of the advantages of changing your rules.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 246.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Yesterday food was on plan, lots of water, weight down a smidge and I'm hungry this morning. I think that's a good sign. My food plan is made for the day, I'm hiking Camelback with a friend this morning and I have some gals coming to my house for Mahjongg in the afternoon. We also have a new beverage fridge being delivered so I'll take Otis to doggie daycare after my hike so he isn't in the way and going crazy.

Bill There is a lot of snow in Arizona too but luckily not at my elevation. And yes that was a sad story about the children who were swept away in flood waters. You really cannot drive thru these flash flood areas, but people keep thinking they can. I make a cooked cranberry relish that keeps for months. I love it on turkey sandwiches all year long.
CJZee What a bummer to have so much ink left. I'm sure the quality of printer you need for your art isn't cheap either. Have you had an x-ray of your hip? It is very easy to tell if you are getting close to needing a replacement.
Maryann Good for you for taking the before photo. I'm right there with you about not feeling old and I'm 66. I hope I always feel like I want to keep moving and keep up to date, at least a bit, with what younger people are viewing, reading, computing, etc. I think my "new young friends" in my PNP group help.
Penny Yay for on plan food days.
GardenerJoy Fried rice sounds delicious. I might need some of that soon.
Curlyjax I hope dd made it back to school okay. The weather is just crazy in some places. There was a ton of snow at the Grand Canyon and lots of stranded people. Not long now and you will have a new hip and hopefully a recovery that is a breeze.

I hope you all have a good start to the week. I feel like mine might be a little crazy. I think I need to write a plan for when I'm going to do some things. I've really cut back this year as in I decorated minimally since we won't be home for Christmas and I think I may not send Christmas cards. Mainly I need to plan when I'll do the baking.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Snowy day here. Most of the schools are closed; my agency gives us 3 days of sick/snow days, so I am using one today, I don’t need any more problems before my surgery. My DD got back to college safely yesterday. We have heat and power so all is good. I do hope we don’t have a super snowy winter!! One more incentive to lose weight and get stronger so I can deal with this better next year when DS is at college (although my neighbors do help with the driveway which is awesome of them).
For those of you who write out what you’re going to eat, do you do it the night before, or a few days at a time? I need to get back to doing this; I know it won’t happen in the morning.
CJZee- I second Karen, xray will tell you quickly what’s going on. I didn’t believe the PT 2 years ago who said the pain was arthritis, but she was right. I suspect your DH doesn’t miss shoveling out
Karen- cutting back sounds like a good idea, this season is so hectic and you sound quite busy.

Last edited by curlyjax; 12-02-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Back at school early this morning with anxiety that always comes with beginning again.

Curleyjax: I am just getting back to putting food into my calculator. But I have been making changes during day. Ultimately I would like to stop making changes. As Beck says, I am really just fooling myself when I do it.

Wave to all.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #13  
Green Tomatoes

I've got a busy week with Wednesday and part of Thursday devoted to tending to MiL during and after her third of three procedures. She's been doing much better the last couple of weeks. But we think it may have been the anesthesia that put her on the downward spiral in the first place, so it's unfortunate that she has to do that again this week.

I have my food and day planned and I just need to get on with both of them, one foot in front of the other.

Exercise: +40, 40/1200 minutes for December

curlyjax: I plan my suppers for 4 to 7 days just before I go to the grocery store. Breakfast, lunch, and snack don't vary that much, but a little. I make those final decisions every morning as I think through things like whether I need to wash lettuce so I can have a salad at lunch and how early I need to start supper preparations.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan and weight is still coming down.

Yesterday was shopping and today is cooking. I'm looking forward to trying a chickpea stew. I've also got pasta, pancakes and pizza in the plan that I will need to leave mostly for the kids.

Curly, enjoy your extra day off!

Maryann, I hope the anxiety calms down quickly, and you are able to find non-food related tools to help.

Bill, credit for the walk. Breakfast for dinner is always good.

Karen, another busy day for you! Have a nice hike and game time.

CJZee, wouldn't that be a surprise if it has been your hip all this time? That is a bummer about the printer. Maybe you could sell the cartridges.

Joy, anasthesia and UTIs can really mess with the elderly.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

On Wednesday afternoon (or maybe Thursday morning), I'm off for a week to visit my brother. It's a road trip, so we're going to visit several other people too, look at some hot tubs, go to a place that shreds documents (remember I'm cleaning out my old tax boxes) and visit some wetlands so I can go see birds like egrets and herons.

I've been aiming to get down to 219 or lower for the trip. It's taken me several months to lose this last set of 10 pounds (I think about weight loss in 10-pound increments so it's not so overwhelming). I think I can manage to squeak under that 220 barrier before I see him this weekend if I really stick to my plan. I know that sticking to the plan helps you continue to stick to the plan in the future.

You all have helped me so much.
Closed Thread