3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/311379-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-november-2016-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

karenrn 11-21-2016 09:00 AM

Good morning coaches,

I'm glad it's Monday because it's a good day to get going again. I have really not been able to follow through for more than a day or two at a time. I've had my smoothie for breakfast and will go to Group Power class at 8:30 today since it's raining out. Then tomorrow I'll hike when the weather is better. I'm not going to get on the scale, cause I don't think it would be helpful just now. I'm afraid I'd just be too discouraged.

Bill You can do it! Let those books go. The only books I can't seem to get rid of are hiking books that I think I might need again. That and a few really old ones that I have displayed. Dh and I are both so surprised that the holidays are upon us. It would be so much easier to adjust if the weather cued us, like say a little snow. It is raining today and was cloudy yesterday, but these days are more like September in Washington and here it is past the middle of November.

Nationalparker You certainly deserve to be a slug at least for a day. The emotional stress you're under makes me exhausted just remembering when I've been in those situations.

Onebyone Glad to hear from you and it sounds like you are as busy as can be. As for hiking, there are so many parts of it that I like. I like going to new places that I haven't seen. I like the physical challenge to see how I do on the hike. And of course I like being outdoors in the beauty and burning a whole bunch of calories while I'm doing it. It's exercise that I can spend hours doing as opposed to the gym where I'm lucky to get an hour or two in. I also meet the nicest people out on the trails.

Okay, I'm going to get moving now and pick up a bit around here before I head to the gym. Have a great Monday everyone!

maryann 11-21-2016 12:05 PM

Good Morning, Coaches.

I'll take a page from nationalparker's book and play slug. Two or three minor things on the list; one is a walk on a rare misty day. Our prep for Thanksgiving is driving to Pismo Beach tomorrow to be with my dad and youngest brother. The fracture of my family has been greatly aided by this sibling. He is not easy. But then neither is my dad. Ironic that they live together. I am trying to reframe the whole situation. Instead of grief over the days when I visited my father all the time (before DB moved in) I will be glad to have the travel time with my DH and DS. We will do a college tour at Cal Poly SLO where DH went to school. Plus I feel it is important to check up on Dad and make sure everything is ok. It is very sad to me the mental illness being exhibited is making me doubt everything these days. There are no applicable Rockwell portraits for my family I fear.

But I would say Mr. Rockwell could have done a nice one for our Pecan Picking festival. So I am grateful.

The scale is four pounds up today. Maybe a pound is water but I have definitely been rogue on food. Something has to change and that change is to start today. I had a sane breakfast. I have salad makings for dinner. Scramble eggs and toast for lunch. There. That is done.

BBE: Think of all the people waiting to read your books. A nice act of charity to start off the holidays :)
Karen: SIL is putting in a lottery for Mt. Whitney. Boy will I have to start training if that comes through.
onebyone: Your show will be great. It sounds like giving birth but isn't all great art like that.

Needed to wind down last nite so I watched Gosford Park for the first time. Highly recommend it. I have to read Into the Wild and The Things They Carried for my class this Spring. It has been months since I read something serious. Probably good for me.

nationalparker 11-21-2016 07:28 PM

Got a lot of work done today, so a good balance, since tomorrow will be lighter and I'm planning to do just a half day, while helping DB take care of more office clearing out.

Searched for info on Thanksgiving on FMD and it reinforced my idea of doing two days of Phase 2 heading into Thanksgiving ... and that works well. I feel like I can succeed with this plan that doesn't tell you to skip your favorites, etc. I feel like I've been looking for this plan for a long time, doing things that just didn't work for me.

I know I've said it before, but "living" with a couple for awhile is awkward and uncomfortable. I am hesitant to ask if they mind if I make a separate dinner, as I will be doing tonight. It seems to create so much confusion.

Phooey - I know I said I'd do personals today; will come back to them later tonight if I'm able to. Eat dinner later here than at home and then I'm sleepy :)

Got in a walk today - credit. OP for the most part but missed a snack, which with this plan doesn't help me - credit for OP but debit for skipping snack.

BillBlueEyes 11-22-2016 04:28 AM

Tuesday - John F. Kennedy Assassinated (Dallas, 1963)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to class and back fully aware that other parts of the Northeast had serious snow. We didn't. I am reminded that 30 degrees F isn't really that cold compared to zero F. I have to get my winter layering in order as we head toward February.

One more of our Thanksgiving guests responded with two more food items they're bringing. I asked DW if we could limit the stream of food arriving. She said, "No, we just have to work harder making all leave with the guests." We seem headed toward the old fashioned zillion dishes and dozens of desserts type of event. Fortunately, a walk is scheduled for after dinner (which will be in the afternoon to accommodate DGD's nap/bedtime schedule) - but that walk serves to settle the dinner food to make more room for dessert. Thanksgiving may well be the Native American's revenge, LOL.

maryann - Kudos for feeling gratitude for the success of your Pecan picking festival. Most folks on the planet don't fit in a Norman Rockwell painting - maybe that's why they're so loved.

nationalparker – Yep, it's a challenge to live under someone else's roof; Kudos for being aware that it's a source of tension so you can keep going forward. You've got lots more important stuff on your agenda right now than personals - we can wait.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for using Monday as a restart day.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#1: The Discouragement Trap

Once Chris mastered the foundation strategies, began to change his eating, and started to exercise again, he lost twenty pounds fairly quickly. He was psyched. He thought losing more weight would be relatively easy.

But that was an unrealistic expectation. He didn't know that dieting gets harder for everyone from time to time, as circumstances, motivation, and energy levels change - how could it not?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 177

karenrn 11-22-2016 08:27 AM

Good morning coaches,

I'm happy to report that food was on plan yesterday, credit, and I did go to the gym for strength training, credit. Today I'll get in a hike and I'm hoping from 6 to 8 miles depending on how far Coleen wants to go. Other than that I'll get to the store to pick up whatever is needed for Thanksgiving dinner. It will be very small and we're going to keep it simple with not so many dishes.

Bill Your Thanksgiving does sound fun and all the different dishes, num num. And I agree the best plan is to get it out of the house with the guests. You can only do so much damage if it is held to one day.

Nationalparker It will be nice for you to have your dh there soon. Good luck with the office clearing out today. You will be getting your strength training.

Maryann Holiday time can be painful for sure. Up until 20 years or so ago I thought we did have an almost Normal Rockwell family. Oh we had some tragedies, but we all still got along. Then my parents died, a sister in law died, the other sister in law doesn't seem to want to be around us . . . whoo boy. Luckily my youngest brother remarried a wonderful gal whose 2 grown children live here in the Phoenix area. In fact they will be down in early December for about 5 days. I'm at the point where some of my friends are my family, cause what the heck can you do? Good luck on your visit with family today. I hope it goes better than expected. Also, I'm so excited for your possible Mt. Whitney climb. My dh is following a FB site about the John Muir Trail and thinking he might like to do that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one of these years.

Waving to Onebyone, GardenerJoy, and Lexxiss as well as anyone else who is following.

maryann 11-22-2016 11:30 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

Heading off this morning. Credit for walk yesterday and the one planned when I sign off today. Weight is still high. I am researching next steps to get more nutrition back into my diet. Until I make a formal structure, I will continue to have a meal replacement bar for breakfast and look for fruits and veggies at every meal.

I did some planing for our winter trip. DH has a a small hobby - visit every NBA venue. This winter it will be Phoenix Suns and then some time in San Antonio. It gets us out as a family and we have seen some powerful things. One of the most memorable for DS was the Oklahoma memorial (bombing) when he went to see the Thunder. That is what I love about these trips. You never know what will stick in your head. It is why travel makes a person well rounded.

Karen: Thanks for reminding me that every family has chapters. The present does not invalidate the past. It is a not failure if it does not last forever. Besides, I would not have the new, wonderful things I have now without change. My small, wonderful holidays with my boys. Dh's family. The relationships with friends that continue to thrive after 34 years. In the program, we talk about needing a new pair of glasses - ones that magnify the good and minimize the struggle.

BBE: So wonderful to have small ones at the holidays. We will have ours at Christmas. As for the abundance of food, what is the old saying: Go ahead and enjoy the holiDAY just not a holi-WEEK.

nationalparker: It is VERY difficult to live with another couple. I find my ability to do this is very limited. You impress me. It is a wonderful gift you are giving your brother.

nationalparker 11-22-2016 05:22 PM

A beautiful day here and I said I was going to sit outside and let the sunshine warm my skin for 10 minutes at least ... and didn't even do that. But got a great deal done on my brother's office clear-out and then a quick marketing errand. Got some work done and will tackle more tonight.

After finishing the last half hour or so of a Thin Man movie, I put on a couple episodes of The Whistler old time radio program. They both really enjoyed it and might do more tonight - including one of my favorites, Suspense Theatre. I just LOVE old time radio. When I was growing up overseas, the Armed Forces Radio used to play an hour of it every day (along with an hour of country, an hour of pop, an hour of rock, an hour of easy listening, etc. - appealing to a wide audience!). So while I was a kid in the 70s, I still love the radio mysteries and comedies.

Went to Wal-mart to look for a decently made sweater to wear but what I tried on was too thin and not a good proportion. I did find another pair of jeans - tried on 10s and 12s and was pleased to be able to take 10s and just decide no, not that I couldn't get a leg in them. Ended up with 12s but should be able to dry them. Success.

Bill - When I was growing up, we always went on a walk/bike ride before dinner ... to get out of everyone's hair, I suspect ... even my Dad! Maybe my DH and I can get in a decent walk after my work is done on the office stuff that morning.

Karen - When will it start cooling off there for you? I know DH is excited to come here and get out of the freeze there.

Maryann - You got me thinking about our family time at holidays. Instead of being stressed and worried about how much time I have with my DB, I'm going to focus on the fact that I have NOW and I'm spending it with them for the first time in 6-7 years (someone else is helping me on my reports that I handle each day this weekend, so that allows me to come here now). I can mourn my parents and that they're not here, too, or I can find joy in the sharing with both brother and DH, both of whom I'm so fortunate to have in my life and they get along so well. Thank you for perspective.

I'm so keeping fingers crossed that the tests next week give positive news on location of tumor, ability to treat, etc. Thank you, all, again, for your support. A mighty fine crew here :)

BillBlueEyes 11-23-2016 05:07 AM

Wednesday - RIP Roald Dahl (1990, Oxford, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was installing (partially) a bathroom under-sink cabinet. There are a dozen more steps in the job than anyone would anticipate doing it for the first time - where 'first time' means at least not in the last decade which is covered by memory.

I became provider of dinner from the fridge under orders to clear out anything taking up space in there. The leftover chicken and leftover Hubbard squash with cranberries and onions was quite good along with a green salad. Some other leftovers were tossed. DW was busy making pies - because we need more desserts for Thanksgiving. Hosting Thanksgiving is a full time job for the week before.

maryann - Yay for allowing travel to expand one's experiences. I cringe whenever I hear of McDonald's opening in Paris because it's a way of avoiding experiencing Paris.

nationalparker – OK, I'll have to add The Thin Man to my list. LOL at "I'd heard you'd become a California gentleman." "I've never heard of such a thing." Kudos for being able to go shopping for a sweater in between all the help you're giving.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for thinking "simple with not so many dishes" - we need some of your thinking.

Readers -
Quote:

When Chris subsequently had a difficult week, he became quite discouraged. He found himself struggling to stay on track and began to have a number of sabotaging thoughts, such as "I don't know if I can keep it up." When he came to see me, he said the whole week had been hard.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 177

nationalparker 11-23-2016 04:08 PM

Happy Thanksgiving eve! This was always a special day for me growing up. To keep me busy, my mom would write "Thanksgiving Eve" on a piece of paper and I'd sit at the kitchen table, making as many words as I could from those two words - thank goodness for the "eve" to give me the "e" ... Wonder why I loved that so. I still love doing that kind of puzzle!

Earlier today I bopped onto the Weight Loss forum and read a couple of replies that were so, so snarky to new posters. I am so accustomed to the friendly, supportive, patient and encouraging group in this thread, that I forget the rude "real world" exists in other threads and wonder whatever happened to the old "If you don't have something nice to day, keep quiet." ... The anonymity really allows a few "know-it-alls" to lambaste others - who would say to someone new at a TOPS or WW meeting, that their suggestions are stupid, etc. Sometimes just reaching one person is meaningful I allowed it to wiggle in my mind longer than I should have, wishing we could all just be supportive of those in life and not play the "you're so stupid, I'm so smart" game. At the end of the day, often the reverse is true.

So, that said and off my chest, I'm thankful, for this group who picks each other up, offers suggestions and not demoralizing rants, teaches me so much, from music to movies, to space, foreign travel, hiking, farming, gardening, relationships, you name it.

I'm making soup for our dinner tonight - should have made it yesterday, I think. SIL came home early and so I encouraged them to head out alone on a couple of errands. Last night was a more rushed night for her. I feel like I'm on vacation with limited food prep - typically I'm racing home from work today to get started on the sides, desserts, setting the table, housecleaning, etc.

Bill - Many credits for tackling another project! Especially at a busy time! Enjoy all the various holiday offerings! Thanks for always keeping us moving forward here.

BillBlueEyes 11-24-2016 06:51 AM

Thursday - U.S. Thanksgiving

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chasing DGD, CREDIT moi. At fourteen months, words are beginning to be understandable. She's clear that she's talking, with great patience that we are so slow to comprehend. She has, however, no patience if I don't comprehend that she doesn't want any more banana, for example. When she signals NO!, she means NO! The next piece offered will go on the floor to help me learn faster. For her lunch, every single noodle was consumed, every chunk of meatball ignored. I'm not in charge of her nutrition; I just report results to her mother.

Food was good, CREDIT moi. As planned, I was sent out to forage for dinner as DW is exhausted making stuffing for Thanksgiving dinner. DW longed for pizza, which we've not gotten for dinner in years and years. It was a regular when the kids were little and nights in chaos were resolved with pizza. I still remembered the phone number of the local place we used back then even though some fancy pizza places have opened since. 'Fancy' means high priced with exotic toppings - not necessarily better. My accomplishment was to make a green salad and to have exactly two pieces instead of the three that my eyeballs said that I needed. The remaining half of the pizza is now safely hidden in the fridge for a meal after Thanksgiving.

nationalparker – Presumably, as a young girl, you went to This Site, typed in thanksgivingeve and were supplied 536 words, much to your mom's amazement. If you didn't go there, I hope you found 'asinine' and 'antigens' on your own, LOL, while 'geeking' and 'gnashing' might have been out of your reach. 'Negativing' is worth a challenge at Scrabble. Yep, most of us seem to need support rather than correction. Kudos for continuing to keep sane eating on your agenda in difficult times rather than just negativing the subject.

Readers -
Quote:

I asked him to take out his advantages list and read it aloud, rating each item as very important, important, or not important. I wasn't surprised that every one of them turned out to be either important or very important to him. I asked him if it was worthwhile to keep going, even though he felt discouraged, so he could get these advantages. When Chris replied yes, I asked him to make a reminder card he could refer to often, to help him keep his goals at the forefront of his mind.
While losing weight sometimes feel difficult, the
results will be worth it. The advantages on my list
are too important to give up on, no matter what
I may think of feel at any given time.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 178

onebyone 11-24-2016 10:29 AM

Blips

Coaches

Finally. A day without having to meet someone somewhere. I have work to get done today but I am on my way with it. Huzzah! I will post a picture later on as incentive to get it done!

Foodwise, I was 273.2, then 271, then 272.3 yesterday. I forgot to weigh when I got up so I'll do that tomorrow morning. I find if I don't come here to the Beck forum as soon as I get up, I rarely make it here to post something for the day and that's not good. Coming here sets my intention for the day, to eat well, be on plan, stay on plan, report in and be accountable to myself and others. Pretty important.

DH informed me this morning that in spite of the inconvenience, we will attend the company xmas party downtown. I am glad he's decided yes. I will wear what I wore last year: black velvet/velour pants and top. it fits, it'd dressy enough etc. What I will do though is get my hair done. I want to dye it and cut it and really I am feeling like it is too grey for me now. It's not that grey, still brown/blonde-ish but when pulled back from my face it looks grey. I didn't care when I didn't feel old but lately, I feel old. I am 53 and somehow, all of a sudden, I feel *old*.

Sure hope that passes.

I am thinking of consolidating my art/craft items into three or four rubbermaid bins and letting go of whatever doesn't fit inside of them. I want to purge all the excess over the next few months. Seriously get rid of things and get used to empty spaces. I am under no illusion that this will be easy for me. It won't. But I'm willing to go there. DH and I need a shake up and this will go a long way to signaling change. I personally think we should move next year if I don't go away to school.

That's what's on my mind this morning.

The Cat is finally sleeping so I am free to work on my stuff without him demanding to be brushed. BTW did you know there is specific genre of youtube videos dedicated to brushing cats? They are called brushy brushy or they say brushy brushy. Were I a child right now I might know how to capitalize on this. There are also people making big bucks creating "unboxing" videos. This idea is so stupidly simple it would never have occurred to me to actually do this for the camera. What a strange world we live in.

Wonder if I could "unbox" my own artwork for the camera? Hmmmm.

OK off I go. Have a good day.

Happy :turkey: Thanksgiving :thanks2: to my :grouphug: American friends!

A simple :wave: to everyone else!

nationalparker: Loved your story of anagrams with your mom. I hope your DH is there soon (yes?) and continued success on your foodplan and on your support of your DB and SIL. You're a good egg!

Billblueeyes Happy Thanksgiving! Wishing you and yours a house filled with warmth and fun and joy and nary a leftover leftover!

gardenerjoy 11-24-2016 12:00 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm not doing well with eating, but I can do this much today: Focus on the veggies and have just tastes (3 bites!) of anything else that looks good.

I'm bringing homemade cranberry-applesauce. I cook it in apple cider. This year, I used a single varietal cider made from Honeycrisp apples. There's an all natural way to sweeten this dish! No sugar needed.

karenrn 11-24-2016 05:21 PM

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful for each one of you. I'm so glad to have a place to come to share the struggle or the enthusiasm whatever it is at the time and know you understand.

We are having a very low key Thanksgiving. We went to an open house this morning to meet up with a gal we met on our Peru trip. She's at her step Mom's home about 20 minutes from us. It was great to see her and meet some folks. Also the bloody Mary's were great.

Now that we're home I put the very small (12 1/2 pound) turkey in the oven and will have the simple meal I already mentioned. Friend Coleen will be the only guest and she's bringing a pie. I intend to have a nice meal without pigging out and then send the pie back home with her.

I don't know why, but I haven't had an easy time with it lately. I guess if I'm realistic just holding my own over the holidays might be as good as it gets this year. We'll see if I can get motivated again or not.

We are watching the neighbors dog and she is not settled in yet. Kind of walking around and being whiny at times. Hopefully she'll settle in.

Have a great holiday to all in the U. S. and to OnebyOne have a great day.

nationalparker 11-24-2016 09:07 PM

Happy Thanksgiving! Thankful that I'm able to spend Thanksgiving with brother, SIL, DH and their family. DH got sunburned on the patio this afternoon - a change from the 40 degrees at home. Sun on skin lifts my spirits when it's the "offseason".

Lesson learned today - eating a reasonable Thanksgiving dinner is not difficult when I didn't prepare all my favorites and have at the ready (mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole - yes the sticky sweet one with mini marshmallows - the only saving grace when I did that was most would go home with in-laws, cracker barrel cole slaw purchased, etc.) My choices were limited and in reasonable portions. Sometimes that was because I didn't know if I'd like the food or not, and I don't like to insult anyone by leaving a noticeable amount. I spent time holding a three-month old and chatting with good people - while watching the antics of three-year olds and enduring a one-year old who found the drum set complete with cymbal. Dessert was three bites of an apple pie and got sidetracked and was fine. I've never been STUFFED on thanksgiving, but typically do fill my plate with carbs. Now I see I don't need to do that, and it was a bit of an eye-opener.

Back on plan tomorrow. Washed and dried my capris that only just fit me last month ... after always only hanging them to dry so they didn't shrink. And they fit fine after drying in the dryer - so hope I'm at least maintaining.

Off to sit with DH and just soak up the rest of the evening.

BillBlueEyes 11-25-2016 04:55 AM

Friday - Joe DiMaggio born (1914, Martinez, California)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was good enough, CREDIT moi. I only had one plate for Thanksgiving dinner and one small slice of DW's fresh-baked apple pie (Cortland apples). Enjoyed a big green salad in between. The table was dominated by the charming 14 month old DGD, who also kept all the guests active chasing her - one-by-one while the others ate. Much food left with the guests leaving only about one meal of leftovers for the two us - just right.

There were many appetizers; I had a bunch of the highly seasoned shrimp. Since dinner was at 3pm, I declared appetizers to be my lunch and, of course, had no meal in the evening. It felt good that I would have been able to eat an evening meal since I wasn't stuffed. By the time we finished cleaning up, both of us were too tired to do much.

onebyone – Super Kudos for planning to get your hair done. It's great to take care of yourself even when super busy. Thanks for the video that shows me how to brush an iguana - would never have guessed.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Apple cider made from Honeycrisps sounds like heaven. One of my jobs was to make the cranberry-orange relish that's demanded and adored by all. The ingredients are: cranberries and a large orange. (Behind my back, DW adds the sugar that makes it palatable, LOL.) "Three bites" sounds like a sane plan.

nationalparker – Yay for clothes that fit even from the dryer. Neat that you can do Thanksgiving without too many carbs.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanksgiving "without pigging out" is a noble goal. Our turkey was 12.99 pounds - the size of our pan.

Readers -
Quote:

Something interesting happens to many dieters when they've had a hard week, and I suspected that it had happened to Chris. The memory of a few difficult hours colors their perception of the week as a whole.

I asked Chris if all 168 hours of the past week had been difficult. "Well, I was sleeping for some, so those weren't hard," he laughed.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 178