3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/311379-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-november-2016-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

karenrn 11-09-2016 02:41 PM

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan yesterday, credit. I cut portion sizes down a bit and will attempt to continue to do so at least until my Grand Canyon hiking trip. Today's exercise was a hike with friend Coleen. We did a hilly seven mile hike, credit. I'm not sure of my plans for the rest of the day, first it will be a shower.

Personals tomorrow.

nationalparker 11-09-2016 04:18 PM

Heading home on Sunday to see my brother - he asked if I could come to help, and I'm relieved to be able to do so. Not sure how long he'll be in hospital. Have a lot to do before I leave to keep us on track as much as we can be - a lot of food prep and buying this and that to take with me to make meals easier. Need to get a haircut (I put mine off longer than you do, Bill ... my second of the year) ;) ... shave and bathe the dog, and prep my work to head out.

Scale at 155.8 this morning (just barely at this first goal!) heading into the two typical drop days. This is a MINOR concern, but I do not want to lose traction on staying on plan, and actually did ask DH if I should pack a scale since they don't have one. Then thought, "seriously? I would think that at a time like this? What is WRONG with me?" But I did and honestly, that idea still pinging around in my mind. If not, I can always just order one or wing it.

Rotisserie chicken and cabbage and green beans tonight. Gets the job done.

onebyone 11-10-2016 01:13 AM

Hello

Coaches

I woke up early having stayed up until the early morning hours watching you-know-what last night and now it's almost 1am and I am still awake. Lots of work to do, shows to ready for, things to get organized. I am on some kind of self-imposed media ban of some sort not really going on facebook, watching some tv which I had all but given up, and actually only using my "devices" for research and communication and not entertainment.

People this morning were rattled. I spent the day yesterday (while you guys, who share the northern hemisphere with me were voting) roaming the exhibits in the ROM- content in knowing all things pass. My brother would have known exactly what to say to calm us all down and give us perspective.

My food is not good not bad. Weight 267-271. Decluttering will begin soon for me as well and things are changing. I have read most of the posts and am glad to reconnect here. Better get to bed. I set up for a show tomorrow. Last night I dreamt of Trump. Tonight I hope to dream of :angel: fluffy kittens chasing yarn.:angel:

:wave: to all my Beck friends.

BillBlueEyes 11-10-2016 05:32 AM

Thursday - "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" (1871, Central Africa)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Same report. Cold continues; trying not to make life too difficult for DW.

Exercise was chasing the DGD around four different playgrounds. She bumped her head some four times during the day - all of them while holding an adult hand or walking slowly in a 'safe' place. Only a crib is truly safe for a 13 month old active kid.

onebyone – Thanks for "all things pass" - I'm clutching for any holds.

maryann - Thanks for reminding me that the simple is our option, "I will get up and do the best I can."

nationalparker – Kudos to your brother for asking you to come to help - not all men are able to ask for help.

Karen (karenrn) - Portion sizes due tend to creep upwards.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

#7: The Post-Holiday Trap

"It's the first time I ever got rid of food because I knew it would be too hard to have it around. I felt really good about it," she beamed. "I took control instead of letting the food control me."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 170

maryann 11-10-2016 08:46 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

A new low today. Changed ticker. I have lost over 11 pounds since June. That feels good. Yesterday was a real struggle to maintain my cool with a few of my "high drama" students. It is frustrating not to be able to get to the kids who need me because a few need so much attention. But as I told my husband "This is the job." He has to deal with no rain, county regulations and low yields. I have to deal with high drama.

Food is planned but exercise remains illusive. I will commit to strength tonight after physical therapy. There is a holiday tomorrow so no excuse for a nice long walk and strength exercises. I want to look at my diet and make sure it is balanced. Skipping dinner is often skipping many nutrients.

Nationalparker: Many times I have travelled with a scale. If I weigh in the morning, I don't have to waste time second guessing myself. Even if the scale is up slightly, it is never catastrophic which helps me feel in control. You have worked very hard to achieve your goals. It is not a small thing to want to protect your success. Your mind and heart will be filled with things beyond your control. Why not allow yourself a little bit of reassurance?

onebyone 11-10-2016 09:04 AM

Have scale, will travel.

nationalparkeR: bring the scale. Looking after your health is important. I echo what maryann said too.

gardenerjoy 11-10-2016 12:12 PM

I am so happy that I followed my plan yesterday and that, today, that doesn't feel like a question mark in my mind. Of course I'll follow my plan today; that's what I do.

What will I do today to eat light and healthy?

Follow my plan.

Split the snack since supper's early. I'll save the apple for after my evening event. I'm pleased with how an apple works as a late snack. I used to think that it wouldn't be enough, but it definitely is. Larger snacks or anything with sodium causes bloat and sleeplessness in the wee hours. An apple fills me enough to get to sleep with out any early morning side effects.

Prep supper mid-afternoon so that it comes together quickly when I need it to.

Weigh-in: NA kg
Exercise: +40, 360/1300 minutes for November
Food: 100% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes

Sending healing thoughts to BillBlueEyes and nationalparker's brother and warm gratitude to everyone, here, in this healing space.

nationalparker 11-10-2016 04:23 PM

Thank you for the honest thoughts on the scale. I was worried I was being petty, but having that data will keep me on track. I don't want to start eating less and less and slow down this burning metabolism! :) I was eating less and less and craving more crap before. Nice.

News from home is more testing and another biopsy and scans and endoscopy. Today he said maybe if I can be there for at least a few days. I will stay as long as needed, but maybe shorter trips more frequent might be helpful - we'll see. Thanks for all of your support. I am buoyed hearing his voice.

Scale at GOAL today! Well, this first goal of 155. Was 155.2 ... wearing a new outfit at work and feel good. Would feel better if the dang seam on the edge of the pants would lay flat. I ironed it down but it keeps popping out at an odd angle. I might try to exchange these for a pair without that issue. It's dark soon after 5p now and I find myself wanting to stay at home, rather than run errands. I might see if DH wants to go to a movie and I run errands tonight. That works for me. Tuna night. It seems to come up quickly every Thursday. It's now a running joke for us. I'm down 19.6 pounds and down 20 by Christmas was my goal. Will reset to 150 in a day or two. I want to feel like I actually made it.

Bill - I sure hope that you get some relief from that cold. I think you jinxed her safety in a crib - I can see her climbing over the rail when bored and a fifth head bonk.

Maryann - You're right - peace of mind is worth a lot and preventing a slide is important to me. I feel funny about it because my brother is losing weight so much, that me worrying about gaining was petty. But no, it's not. It's self-care. Thank you! Good luck with the drama - that is never fun.

OneByOne - How is everything you're juggling going? Any forward movement/thought on the home move?

Karen - Waving over to you in warm Arizona as today was the first day with a heavy frost on my car. (Stop laughing, OneByOne! Old news for you! haha) Kudos to you for your quick turnaround focus on the Grand Canyon so soon after El Camino.

Joy - Hopefully you'll get a bit of a reprieve with the heavy scheduling to get some relaxing time through the holidays!

BillBlueEyes 11-11-2016 05:05 AM

Friday - Veterans Day, World War I ends (1918)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Because I'd worn myself out chasing the DGD, CREDIT moi, I felt that I didn't need to walk to the evening lecture. Then I realized that that was a big time Sabotaging Thought, so I did. Walking after dark is just such a neat experience in the city lights.

Unfortunately, there was an unexpected reception following the lecture, with foods of an unexpected high quality. I chatted with a friend who happened to be there so more stand-up foods happened than necessary - certainly more than planned since I had planned to stop at my favorite Greek take-out place for their vegetarian platter. I've had my share of top shelf spicy Italian cold meats for the season. The chopped fruits included killer good blueberries. For a tiny credit, I avoided the cheeses since they just one more occasion that tasty cheeses were spread.

onebyone – Waving back to the unicorn Avatar. Let there be some joy in the world this week.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – So simple, "Of course I'll follow my plan today; that's what I do."

maryann - Kudos for responding to "high drama" with sanity. And Congrats on those pounds gone.

nationalparker – Yay for making your decision about the scale. Glad that your brother is so clear that he'd like you to be there for a few days.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

I told Kathleen how impressed I was with how well she had done. "There were probably dozens and dozens of opportunities for you to go off plan, but you only made two mistakes - and even then you caught yourself and turned things around!" Using her new strategies, Kathleen had created a very different holiday experience. She maintained her weight and her sense of control. She told me that she felt much more confident about tackling other holidays now that she had a blueprint.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 170

karenrn 11-11-2016 08:19 AM

Good morning coaches,

I had better post this morning to be sure I do it. Yesterday's calories were a little above what they should be and I didn't go to the gym. The luncheon I was attending started one hour after the gym class finishes and I didn't want to be that rushed when it was a group of women I had never met before. The group was the women's group associated with the Preserve where I volunteer. The speaker was author Nancy Turner. I read her first book, "These Is My Words" years ago in book club. She gave a humorous and interesting presentation. The lunch part was funny. First came the hot rolls, I passed, credit. Next was a kale, butternut squash and quinoa salad with a little goat cheese with an apple vinaigrette. I saved my fork (as did Hiking Suzanne) thinking next there would be some chicken or something. No, the next thing was a very small pumpkin shuffle dessert. Needless to say I didn't worry much about the calories from lunch.

I'm having a little trouble with my food plan. I guess I'm not sure I care about being gluten free when some of those items taste terrible. We had some pasta Wednesday evening that was very good, but the English muffin I had the other day was horrible. I would much rather have had the whole wheat tortilla that has less than half the calories. I may need to reevaluate what I want to do. The other thing is I'm at that point in my thinking again where I just want to say, "Maybe where I am is just fine." I don't fit in some of the clothes that I wish I did, but at 5'5" and low or sometimes mid 140's, I can maintain pretty easily. I'll be pondering on it. Dh could care less if I lose any weight. I will be seeing the doctor 12/20, maybe she will give some guidance too.

One other thing going on here that I don't know if I told you or not. The warped floors finally turned out to be from the new shower, not the air conditioners or the toilet. When they came to replace them last week, it was all wet underneath since my friend had been here using the shower for the week. It was hard to pinpoint, since the shower in that bathroom is so rarely used. Anyway, beginning next Thursday, the bathroom will be torn up for new flooring and having the new shower totally redone. Since the floor tile is no longer available the laundry room will also be torn up so that the tile matches the bathroom. They are just across the hall from one another. And since the laundry room floor will be replaced, we will have the cabinets replaced to match the bathroom. The insurance company was out last week and they will be paying for some of it, thank goodness. It's been a hassle.

Bill You may have eaten foods you didn't plan on, but at least it sounds like it was really good food. I hope your cold is beginning to get better.

Nationalparker You are doing so well. You truly are an inspiration. Good for you. It must be so nice not to have to worry about things being too tight, etc. We all know that feeling.

GardnerJoy Apples are working well as a snack for me lately too. Not only that, but there are so many varieties. I've also been trying to tell myself lately, "If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the answer."

[B]Maryann[B] Eleven pounds down, great job! And that was through some stressful times too. High drama students would be a real challenge for me.

One by One Sounds like you have been busy. Have you ever heard from the program you were interested in?

This morning I'll be heading up to Tom's Thumb trailhead to do my greeter duty for the first time this fall. Once I'm home I had better really be sure I have everything for my backpacking trip.

onebyone 11-11-2016 09:17 AM

Rememberance Day Greetings

Coaches, Good Morning.

An extra busy weekend starts for me today. Last night I set up the sales table for my first xmas sale. I am in the body of the church that is part of the Lucy Maud Montgomery House historic site. That's the author of Anne of Green Gables fame. It's a small space. We were told 8'x8'. reality is a 12' x 4'expanse of tables full of ceramics that I now think need to be pulled back to give more room to people walking through and in front of the breakable ceramic ware. Sure hope its a successful sale. It goes today 4-7 and tomorrow 9-3 or 4. Tomorrow there is an area xmas house tour of which the Lucy Maud Montgomery Manse is stop#3 with our church offering a light lunch in the church basement. 1000 tickets have been sold. It bodes well.

This day is also the first day of the schedule I had to make concerning firing all the class and member work for the potters' guild. We begin "studio conversion" next Friday and the kilns are out of use until Nov 29. I've never scheduled this before so its nervewracking. I also have to gallery sit for my painting group on Sunday afternoon. We had the regional juried show. No prize for me this year and a piece was rejected!
Last year, 2nd place. lol.
I have no idea who won or anything so I'll catch up with them on Sunday.

And thanks for asking karenrn I was contacted by the nurse/naturopath for my initial assessment/visit to the Intensive Obesity Management program on Dec 7th. I have told my close guild friends about it and my one good friend says she'll even drive me there if I need that. Lots of good support here for me.

Oh and I found out my art classes for the downtown disabled people will begin Nov 29 and going for 5 weeks with an xmas break. It will be a challenge, a good challenge.

Food these days is not under control and not spinning out of control. I am not being a good friend to myself though. Lots of halloween goodies find their way to me at the guild. I don't hold back much. I am not cooking from scratch, which is key for me when I am on plan. Lots of takeout which is never good but fits a tight schedule when you haven't planned and are feeling worn out and run down everyday. And while I am listing things, the place I live in, minus all that stuff in the new locker, now looks like I never got a locker. It's still a cluttery mess. I am carrying around, have not sat to read yet, a book called Stuff-The Meaning of Things. I am getting glimpses into why I am the way I am. Hopefully the book prys that door open a bit more.

Better go. Time to head out soon.

nationalparker: congrats on meeting the goal weight and the joy at wearing loose clothes!

billblueeyes: are you better yet? this too shall pass.

karenrn: ah... soak up the heat for me. you seen to be right back into your home routine! Always happy to hear about hiking suzanne.

maryann: I now need to find picture of the peninsula/island off San Diego to see the beaches. Thanks for mentioning this. I am glad you have the ability to take days off when you need them. I do the same, though you wouldnt know it from my posts. Mostly they are half days when I can fit it in. Essential.

gardenerjoy: your days feel like mine. Very full. it is a challenge. It seems you are figuring out how to approach them and create success for yourself. I too have drawn away from the long urgent to do list. In reality I do one thing at a time, not good with multitasking so I do one thing after another in most cases and the day/week is only so long so that's certainly not "everything"!

lexxiss: your go-arounds for the construction nearby are really lessons to me in making the best of a tough situation and in how best to benefit from a tough situation. And i just wanted to mention it is not lost on me what a great daughter you are to your mom and how well you care for her. I'm sending you a :hug: for what must be not the easiest thing at times but the right thing to do.

bye for now.

maryann 11-11-2016 12:10 PM

Good Morning, Coaches:
onebyone: Your thoughts echoed with me: I am not cooking much from scratch right now, too many Halloween sweets have crept in at work. Although I am losing weight, it is not a healthy plan. Beck tells me to make time for myself and my plan. I need to start to do that.
BBE: I would love to spend a day chasing a little one around. i am living through your stories vicariously. Still I am aware that these days with my gangly 14yo are precious as well. The trick, I know, is to stay in the moment.
nationalparker: Super congrats on reaching that goal. I remember a few years ago, you had the habit of lowering the goal just before you reached it. Take time to savor your success.
gardenerjoy: I echo your thought on this being a healing space.

As for me, I was thinking about KarenRn's thoughts about goals. Last night at the clothing store, I tried on the replacement pair of my absolute favorite jeans. I wore them to holes and then finally cut them off for shorts. Although they were $200 a pair, I wore them three to four days a week for four years. They were a size 30 waist. I remember when I was sixteen, I briefly and ecstatically fit into my brother's 32 waist before continuing to balloon into Lane Bryant clothing and weigh over 200 pounds. Back then, very few teenagers were as big as I was. Now at 52, I look at my body in the dressing room mirror and feel grief that I will never experience a slim young body. No amount of weight loss will give me that. But this body has given me a baby. It has been a source of shame but excitement as well. It has walked thousands of miles to see thousands of amazing things. It has survived a car accident, a surfing accident, and no sunscreen in the 70s ( I grew up at Zuma Beach in Malibu.) What do I really want from a specific weight number? What can I really have?

I felt good in those jeans last night. I was participating in the fashion of the society around me. I felt I looked my age but good for my age. Most importantly, I felt like I looked like myself. This is what my husband wants from me. I don't wear makeup. The boys hate it when I do. I wear sunscreen :) My DH wants to see my smile, hear my laugh. My girlfriends around me are still beautiful but aging with me. I might be mistaken but California puts an extra premium on youth and we have the doctors willing to sell it. None of my pack are buying it.

This war, in short, is in my head. It is fueled by the bombardment of advertising images that are trying to fuel the business of discontent. Mental and emotional health is my priority. I am a role model of aging women - not just to my son but to all those beautiful sixteen year olds I teach. My big challenge at this point is not to reach a number, but to reach a sense of peace.

gardenerjoy 11-11-2016 10:44 PM

I didn't manage many of the things that I normally do, including posting, so I thought I'd check-in just so I sustain the habit.

Eating was okay even though I didn't plan. It probably would have been exactly the same if I planned -- I just would have known ahead of time that I don't have all my best choices in the house. I've already written a plan for a busy day tomorrow (CREDIT!).

BillBlueEyes 11-12-2016 05:43 AM

Saturday - Elizabeth Cady Stanton born (Johnstown, N. Y., 1815)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I made the plan to buy nothing that wasn't on my list at the supermarket. Recently, I've come home with unintended items that ultimately end up as unintended snacks. I turned down a container of chocolate glazed donut holes on sale for $1 (down from $3). This had such appeal, as if I'd always wanted donut holes but couldn't afford them at the standard price. But I passed on them realizing that I'd eventually eat them all and donut holes aren't on my list of nutritious foods. CREDIT moi.

The fun shopping happened after I discovered that my favorite supermarket had no strawberries. That caused me to stop at my least favorite supermarket because I do like morning strawberries and DW likes to chop a few for visiting DGD. They were expensive, but I bought them. Then, I discovered Quaker oatmeal squares - a breakfast cereal- was on super sale at $1.88 per box when you bought six; I did. So I walked out feeling like I'd saved money. The little joys to distract from the bigger reality.

onebyone – Sending magic pixie dust that those 1000 ticket buyers also buy some Christmas stuff from your table. Neat that your teaching gig starts soon.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yep, Kudos for a plan. Hope your busy day stays sane.

maryann - Super Kudos for approaching acceptance of your body. As well as Kudos for buying a pair of jeans that make you feel good.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that you've found the source of the water. Ouch that's it's such a job to fix it all. Always Kudos for passing on the hot rolls.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

She wrote an entry in her memory journal to commemorate her achievements and her sense of pride.

maryann 11-12-2016 08:32 AM

Good Morning, Coaches.

BBE: LOL " like I could never afford donut holes at the regular price." I remember wanting to eat all the junk food as a kid and not having the money. Now it is helpful to remember I can buy any food I want but choose not to do so. Noone is forcing my to diet ( as when I was young.) I want to eat healthy food. it is good to reframe my healthy choices as a "treat for myself."

Off to cross country sectionals for DS. I wouldn't miss it for the world but I am pretty stressed about being over scheduled. I will wear my walking shoes to remember to walk :) I think I will try a little media unplug as well. That might help with the overwhelm.