3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Beck Diet Solution (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution-234/)
-   -   Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/beck-diet-solution/311379-beck-diet-life-solution-%96-november-2016-%96-support-discussion-buddy-coach.html)

BillBlueEyes 11-01-2016 06:35 AM

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – November 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

BillBlueEyes 11-01-2016 06:36 AM

Tuesday - Sistine Chapel ceiling opens to public (Rome, 1512)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Tried to convince myself that I had a reason not to walk to class, but it was a stretch. So, I put on my walking shoes before I left the bedroom to make my commitment in advance and walked, CREDIT moi. I hate that the old brain is so ready to justify not getting exercise.

We had about fifty Trick-or-Treaters last night. As usual, the little kids showed up starting about 6:00. It's become the thing that an older kid asks for an extra candy "for the baby." Doesn't seem to me that babies are eating candy bars. The kids next door showed up their loot from several hours out working the neighborhood. Their mom didn't look forward to waking them and getting them to school this morning. I planned to have a couple of our handouts; I did, then had a couple more. The remainder, however, will go to somewhere on Sunday - but not my belly.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Super Kudos for "No chocolate" - wish I'd planned that.

Nature Girl – Congrats for surviving Halloween with the Kindergarteners - it's hard to imagine. Kudos for making a November plan.

maryann - Smart to buy candy that you can resist.

nationalparker – So glad to hear the slightly better news for your brother. I know that need to run out to buy candy; we've had to do that once. DW spent the evening predicting that I'd bought too much, then too little, then too much again. It turned out to be about right since we change the limit from one to two bars as our estimate for how much we have left changes.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for "gathering the foods I need for the new food plan" - a real commitment. Glad that you'll get back control of your hiking. [Yes, the fob is needed for the car to start. I'd just have to come back inside and get it if I'd forgotten.]

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

#6: The Big Day Trap

"I have another idea that might help," I told Kathleen. "Do you think you'd like to start a new ritual? You and the other women could put the leftovers away as quickly as possible and then go for a walk together. That way, you won't be so tempted, and you'll get some exercise."

"I love that idea!" she exclaimed. "I'm going to do it."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 167

Lexxiss 11-01-2016 08:04 AM

Good morning! Welcome to November, friends! I am trying a walking in the dark post this morning. I had to park my car quite a ways from home last night as they were going to entirely section off the construction zone to accommodate trick-or-treaters. My mom also needed her compression socks put on this morning so I took the trash and recycle and smoothie to my car before walking to her house. Now I'm walking back to my car around a giant excavator to drop her mail and post office keys in my car before returning home. I have to take both doggies to daycare this morning so juggling them will be enough.

I am in a bit of denial right now about what this whole process is going to be like once we get snow. I guess I should just enjoy the simplicity of it while it's here.

Anyway, I have a massage scheduled right after work to keep working on healing my body. That will be the highlight of my day! I am now walking around the giant gravel pile And my front gate is in view. LOL

Yesterday's credits, made my smoothie, had a homemade healthy dinner. Snacks, could have done better. I certainly could have done worse. Weight is holding. I'm grateful. I had a daily life credit, too. I spent almost an hour after work talking with T-Mobile trying to help my coworker understand her bill. She has gotten behind and The entire process is very frustrating. I did manage to find a $35 credit for her which will help. Today I will put the explanation on paper so that she might better understand what it is going to take her to get caught up. I went home and painted for 90 minutes anyway.

maryann 11-01-2016 09:40 AM

Phone check in.
Halloween pretty darn good. Two tootsies and two skittles. All fun sized. Scale still up a half of a pound but I know that will drop.
Cute to see many students dressed up. Even the over six footers are just kids

All Saints day so off to mass after school. That means some kind of takeout. Maybe I will substitute a meal with a smoothie.

gardenerjoy 11-01-2016 11:32 AM

I met my exercise goal for October! We exchanged our Monday night meal plan for a plan later in the week -- a reasonable swap that made things more convenient for DH.

What will I do today to eat light and healthy?

Plan. I've got a food plan, but I'm not doing well with making decisions about what really needs to be on my to-do list. This, oddly, leads to too much Facebook and, that, if I'm not careful will lead to frustration-eating. So, I want a more realistic plan for today and that means making some choices. Off to journal about that...DONE!

No chocolate. DH will be gone for 2-3 hours this afternoon. In that circumstance, if I start eating chocolate, I may not stop. So, my first chocolate treat of the week can wait another day.

Afternoon project. I have a response card that says, "Work on a project upstairs when I'm alone in the house." So, the day's plan includes exactly that for the time that DH will be gone.

Weigh-in: NA kg
Exercise: +35, 1300/1300 minutes for October
Food: 90% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes

nationalparker 11-01-2016 04:33 PM

Happy November! Two months left in 2016. How will we use them? What will we achieve? What will we remove from our lives or add to them - issues, experiences, memories?

Another busy work day but the meeting with my director went well. He was frustrated hearing the issues and I didn't really come out with an "easy" plan. Feels good to have that over, though, and will handle the other uncomfortable meeting this week.

The weather is just gorgeous here - and we're going to spend the evening in the movies. We should have planned differently. I don't want to lose the $5 deal, though, and waiting until next Tuesday won't work bc of elections. I'm not INTO the World Series, despite the many Cubs fans around me. I ran home at lunch which is a waste of gas, I know, but I'm listening to an enjoyable audiobook and like letting the pooch out to sit in the sunshine, as well as pet the kitties a bit. The bowl of chocolate was there and I thought, well, one tiny cookies and cream bar isn't going to knock me off plan. Then I put it back and thought, NO, it's not ON my plan and now it's not the holiday, so popped it back. I have an outlet for them on Thursday. It makes me feel more powerful/in control vs. weak and wanting it. What a difference a few months make. Well, a few months of sticking to the foodplan.

Two months - my goal to be at by Christmas was going to be 153 but I might aim for 150 and see if I can make it there. If not, I'm no worse off for trying.

NatureGirl - Looking forward to your daily posts and good luck with your 21-day plan! And here's to some routine days/evenings before the next round of holidays hit!

Bill - I was wondering, too, on the fob :) I don't have one either, but didn't know if you could just keep it where you kept your keys before so you grab/go? I like the holiday traps note today - I always used to do a thanksgiving 5K/Drumstick Dash to raise money for the mission - walking with friends or jogging part/walking part - good fundraiser and got me out before food. Before that, it was bike riding with family. Last year DH and I took a walk, but nothing we planned. Maybe we start that back up again with a new holiday ritual, even just a good morning walk in the park nearby, being thankful instead of rushing to clean before company.

Karen - Hope you enjoyed a good hike today, and also that your temps drop a bit. I am so thrilled with our near-80, but imagine you're weary of your 100s. :)

karenrn 11-01-2016 04:46 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

Yesterday I would have to say wasn't a good start to the new food plan. Not unless it included Halloween candy anyway. I remember now why I always used to buy the full sized bars instead of the juniors . . . I left them alone thinking they were too big to start. This year I bought two 150 count bags of juniors and had too many. We had probably about 120 trick or treaters last night. More than we have ever had. I gave each 2 pieces of candy and there were only 20 or left this morning that went out the door with dh. The trick or treaters were very cute and it was very fun to answer the door without having to worry about a puppy.

This morning I went to the Y for my strength training class, credit. I met a friend for lunch and had the small vegetable chopped salad. It did have tome feta in it, but no meat and a light vinaigrette. Tonight it is to friends for happy hour/diner where I hope to control my portions. Then I'll have two days with no social function, yahoo.

Tomorrow is also the first hike with the new women's group I joined. Hiking Suzanne is leading the hike. I hope the other women are used to going for a long one cause she is planning 10 miles. Sounds good to me.

I'm going to skip personals today. I just started on a fleece blanket for Otis and want to see how it goes. I have three more after that one. More tomorrow.

Nature Girl 11-01-2016 11:20 PM

All on plan today, except tiny handful of those edamame fake peanut like things on the way home to stave off low blood sugar. Talked to DH last night about dinner and it was simple, quick, and on plan. (Did you notice I didn’t say delicious?)
No exercise except chasing 5 year olds. Heel is really painful right now. OH! Did I tell you all that I am going to have surgery on my heel? Dr. says it is “Recalcitrant Plantar Fasciitis” and nothing so far has worked at all so surgery is needed. Two weeks away from work. That’s a lot of lesson plans, and a lot of worry about whether I will heal quickly enough to continue chasing said 5 year olds. Debating two dates right now – one before Christmas and one right after New Year.
OK promised personals tomorrow night…can’t do everything the first night out!

BillBlueEyes 11-02-2016 04:41 AM

Wednesday - John Paul Jones sets sail (1777, Portsmouth, NH)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked to class, CREDIT moi, where we still wrestle with Dark Matter. You'd think we'd have found it by now, LOL. We live in an amazing universe. I personally fantasize that it'll collapse upon itself in some 13 billion years as in, "Not with a whimper, but with a bang" (in direct opposition to T. S. Eliot).

I did eat two of the remaining chocolates. DW was supposed to get rid of them but she did that by putting them in a bowl in the kitchen. Duh! I can see them. Lunch yesterday was a handful of stuffed grape leaves since they had to be soon eaten or tossed. I hate tossing food.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Big Kudos for meeting October's exercise goal. And Kudos again for waiting a day for a chocolate treat.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats for figuring out a T-Mobile bill - I find them super frustrating. Your street construction sounds like a nightmare.

Nature Girl – LOL at "I didn’t say delicious?" Seems to me that it wasn't so long ago that meals were only consumed to solve hunger - not always demanding a culinary treat.

maryann - Kudos for a good Halloween.

nationalparker – Congrats to the Cubs even if you're not into them. Kudos for giving your director the real news even if not what he wanted to hear. [I don't grab keys when leaving the house so grabbing the fob will be a change of habit.]

Karen (karenrn) - 120 is a lot of Trick-or-Treaters from my perspective. Kudos for sending the remainder out the door.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

#6: The Big Day Trap

Kathleen now had a robust plan for Thanksgiving Day. She made the following list.
Thanksgiving Day
  1. Read my advantages list and reminder cards in the morning as usual, and at the first sign of being tempted.

2. Eat a normal breakfast.

3. Skip hors d'oeuvres but save 2 for my lunch plate.

4. Serve myself one plate of food, whatever I want, with small to moderate portions, but no seconds.

5. When I've finished, prepare a second plate of food and save it for dinner. Make it just a little smaller than my usual dinner.

6. Eat slowly and really focus on how each bite tastes so I can really enjoy it.

7. Put away leftovers quickly and take a walk.

8. Have one portion of whatever dessert I want.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 167

gardenerjoy 11-02-2016 09:53 AM

What will I do today to eat light and healthy?

Follow the plan that I wrote last night. I mean to write my day plans the night before but it rarely happens. Yay, me. I needed to figure out if I could take the truck in for service this morning and that worked out. If the service takes too long, that will make lunch a challenge, but I'm going to assume that it won't take more than an hour or so to change oil and get new wiper blades.

Remember hunger is not an emergency. I had some hungry moments yesterday -- the first time since I got back to my lighter eating style. I worried about it last week so I had "hunger is not an emergency" close enough to the top of my brain to surface when I needed it.

Weigh-in: -0.15 kg
Exercise: +40, 40/1300 minutes for November
Food: 100% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes

BillBlueEyes: Come to think of it, DH used to always have his keys in his pocket. He must have quit that habit when we got the fobs. These days, there's always a brief search for keys when he leaves the house. They're usually on the nightstand or in a bowl on the desk in the kitchen or in the pants he was wearing the last time he drove the car. It's easier for women -- the keys are in my purse and I'm in the habit of grabbing my purse on the way out of the house.

maryann 11-02-2016 10:11 AM

Phone check in.
The pound gained at the Kings game won't drop. Oh well. Walk planned even if it is on sidewalks in the dark. My sweets at work rule has slipped. Today is the day to begin a streak.

karenrn 11-02-2016 04:49 PM

Good afternoon coaches,

So-so on the food plan yesterday. I did about as well as I could at lunch and dinner out. This morning I hiked with Suzanne and a group. We were hoping for a 10 mile hike, but ended up out and back to Bell Pass. The communication was not clear on the plan and most of them weren't up for that, so did a shorter easier hike. We started later than I like and it got warm. Today I'm doing my new food plan in earnest. I had a smoothie for breakfast and it's obvious I need a new blender or Vitamix.

Maryann Good luck on the new streak. I need a new streak too, of no beer or sweets.

Bill I can't have any tempting foods in sight either, for me it's more like I can't even have them in the house.

Nature Girl Yes, some times food is just fuel. I'm hoping I can get in that mind set.

Nationalparker Oh my, two months left to the year. What will I accomplish? I surely am planning on some weight loss even though for many this is a difficult time to lose. At least I will have the weather on my side. And we'll be adding a puppy to our lives.

Okay, I'm putting this down on paper . . . . tomorrow I will try the Zumba class before the strength training class. I may be on the floor having tripped over my own feet, but I am going to give it a try.

nationalparker 11-02-2016 05:06 PM

Scale stayed the same today; heading into Phase 2 of the week. NOT a good work day, but took the time to get out and walk for 45 minutes at lunch on a perfect weather day. I wanted to zip home and put in a few minutes with the pets since they didn't get much attention last night, but opted for the activity.

DH received a job offer yesterday that sounds like a better experience, and plans to accept. Hopefully he'll end up with a couple of weeks off this month before starting the new position - he didn't get any vacation this year, so this would be a good break for him. Immediately I piped up, Oh, we can do our new flooring then! I wish I hadn't thought that aloud. :) Nothing like him thinking he's got vacation and I'm trying to work him hard then!

Put a chocolate treat in my purse for the movie last night and even took it out at one point, but then put it back. I just wanted it because I had it and because others were chomping on popcorn. Bought a package of Quinn's popcorn and will give that a try another week. We stopped making microwave popcorn a few years ago because of the health issues with the chemical coating on the bag ... and this product doesn't have that and is non-GMO corn. Let me know if you've tried it. Credits for not taking any of the leftover candy that's at every turn in the office. I had someone say they missed me not bringing in treats on Halloween, which did make me feel like a slacker.

Nature Girl 11-02-2016 10:24 PM

Last night after posting (shame on me for trying to sneak it in) I traded two protein exchanges and one fruit x for a small bowl of ice cream. Not on program but at least it wasn’t on top of a full day.
Early this morning two setbacks at the store: stopped for another item and planned scrambled eggs & two skinny slices of bacon for breakfast from their deli. Guy behind the counter: “Oh we quit serving those eggs a year ago” (really????) so I ended up with a breakfast scramble full of cheese, meats, salt, etc.  Strike two: brought a healthy lunch item to the counter and it had no price tag, upc, nothing. No time to dash back for another one for their scanner, so left without lunch. 
Somewhat rescued lunch with sliced turkey and too many wheat thins. But after school I just fell apart. An apple with peanut butter, more wheat thins. And on the way home (after our 1 ½ hr meeting after school) stopped for diet soda and did not resist the hostess like treats nearby. Can I offer an excuse? Besides exhaustion? We had a shooting across the street from our school and were in lockdown for a while…you keep it together for the kids but pretty much let down your guard and drop your resistance once you leave the building.
So small but balanced dinner and I’m done for the night.
Foot surgery scheduled for November 30.

BillBlueEyes 11-03-2016 05:37 AM

Thursday - Soviet Union launched Sputnik 2 into orbit (1957)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercised with DGD for the day, CREDIT moi. Her concept of stairs is to lift her foot to the next step and let the adult holding her hand pull her up. It works; no need to change the routine. I tried to show her an 18 month old boy scooting down the stairs on his bum. She didn't want anything to do with such a clumsy procedure. Spent time in the park without jackets in a perfect weather November day. And spent a whole hour at the library for a toddlers' sing-along. I've never seen so many kids and strollers in one place in my life.

The problem came when we got home. DW asked me to scout out a Green Bell Pepper for the dinner she wanted to prepare. I walked to the corner store where . . . much to my surprise . . . they were giving out FREE pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream because their freezer had turned off overnight. (Did I mention that they were FREE?) There were no neurons in my brain that thought that a bad idea so, along with a green pepper, a pint of chocolate brownie super rich ice cream followed me home. My only defense was to knock on my neighbor's door and tell them about the windfall so that someone else also got in on the deal. I've never had that happen before.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for counting on "hunger is not an emergency."

Nature Girl – Recovery from a shooting across the street is worthy of Kudos on its own. Yay for a date for foot surgery.

maryann - Yep, it's a good day to begin a streak.

nationalparker – Super Kudos for putting that chocolate back when you didn't need it.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for planning Zumba - around here that means joining a class of super fit 20 somethings.

Readers -
Quote:

Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

Escape the Big Day Trap

Prepare for the big day in advance. Mentally review how you will handle your eating for each part of the day. Think about changes you need to make so you can feel pleased with yourself with you go to bed instead of feeling guilty or regretful about your eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 168