Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #136  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

karenrn - Oh, if it is overcast or shaded,I have no problem with temperatures up to the 90's for hiking or gardening, about 75 for running - although when I am in shape I can tolerate into the 80's if it is shaded. It is actually the sun that really bothers me. Especially here for some reason. In Texas the sun was stronger in the sunburn kind of way, but here the sun feels more intense even though it is cooler. Maybe it is because we see it so rarely. If we are going to have a hot day, early in the morning when the air is still cool, the sun already feels hot. My husband says I am crazy, my SIL who moved here from the much hotter midwest, completely agrees that the sun feels hotter here at a lower temp.

Today is liftingday so our heat - or lack thereof - will likely not be an issue.

I've been playing around with an occasional 200 calorie cut when I slow down to keep things moving along and have definitely noticed that it is easier on running day than on lifting day so I think for this push to onederland I will just do the cut on Tuesday and Thursday every week regardless of the scale feedback.

Had a very off plan day on Monday but was easy yesterday. Sometimes I confuse myself.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #137  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

For a day that had only one set appt. scheduled, it turned out to be far busier than I expected... but mammogram done for this year (hopefully no call back) and we also slid in a matinee that I expected to be a lot cheaper than it was, and then wanted my money back bc the movie just was terrible.

Came home and prepped a quick dinner of that Columbia Restaurant 1905 salad again ... it's a huge serving with loads of lettuce and tons of flavor with the dressing you make, so well satisfied.

I wanted to get started on a photo book and only got to selecting the photos. It's different than the last times I've done it, so a whole new process for me. No big news from my end. Better checkin manana.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #138  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Haywire

Coaches

My inner saboteur is back at it. As soon as I laid out my plan to be on plan, and in what way I would do that, I strayed farther from the course than before I vowed to do it. This happens to me a lot. I just didn't follow my plan. I chose to eat things I don't want to eat. And my pink book is nowhere. I am focused on getting ready for my two shows this weekend and I had added kiln duty and now added ceramic finishing for an extra kiln firing. It's all to my benefit but my cold still zaps bit of my energy at at night. I'm at about an 80% energy level.

I was afraid to get on that scale today due to eating high sodium yesterday. Today I did the same, high sodium, and high quantity again.

Must go. Just wanted to check in and hope to be op tomorrow.

Oh one more thing, a good thing too. My ultrasound test results came back and I am ok. Which is a relief. I will need another. Checkup on this same issue in 3 months bit so far it's all good. That whole waiting for results thing was tough.

Bye.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-22-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:47 AM   #139  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Birth of Alan M. Turing (Maida Vale, London, 1912)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Visited several stores working the issue that my cell phone is obsolete. I love it - because I rarely use it. I use prepaid minutes so my total cost per year is less that $100. But the time has come to use Apps that require a more current phone. Yikes! The choices, the choices. The mind boggles trying to compare. And DW reminded me that her service didn't work in the Florida Everglades while my BIL's did; so I might consider getting a different carrier so that, when together, we cover more space. Price range: $800 to $100. Both extremes seem wrong.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, because DW served 13 bean soup for dinner along with a huge lettuce salad that I made from our garden lettuce. One Chimney Swift flew overhead during dinner, but enough other birds for DW to comment that "The dinosaurs are out tonight." We're having rabbit problems in our yard; they don't share.

onebyone – Yay for good results from health testing. Hope that cold drifts away so you can be 100% again.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Smart move to do stretching rather than walking in the heat.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats on your step-by-step progress fixing that roof. Love your picture of Alaska.

maryann - That's serious work to scan food items to get their WW points. You modern folk can do so many neat things with cell phones.

nationalparker – LOL at "wanted my money back bc the movie just was terrible" - that should be allowed, especially to discourage wimpy sequels.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a mattress donated to the Salvation Army - even expensive ones can be hard to get rid of.

ennay - Interesting that the sun can "feel" hotter in Oregon than in Texas. LOL at "Sometimes I confuse myself."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Creating Escape Plans for Family Traps

Consider the following sample escape plan as you brainstorm and craft your own.
Escape PLan: Family Trap
Situation #1: Baking cookies with Mom. I will be tempted to eat too much. She will insist that I take lots of cookies home with me and may criticize me if I don't.

Sabotaging thoughts: I love cookie dough. I hardly ever get the chance to have it. It won't matter if I have it. And Mom is having some, too.

Reminders: Since my goal is to lose weight, IT DOES MATTER if I eat too much cookie dough. Every time I get off track with my eating I make it so much more likely that I'll get off track the next time, too.

Strategies: Eat a good lunch before I go and read my advantages list and reminder cards. Plan to have 1 tablespoon of cookie dough and 3 cookies, but eat them sitting down.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 124
Old 06-23-2016, 10:34 AM   #140  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

A milestone must be acknowledged: the alphabet magnets on the side of the fridge have come down. Wow! They were a favorite of DS when he was 1yo. They are zip locked and headed for great nieces/nephews. Even I ( a natural tosser) paused. The great DS/Office clean out has begun and cr** is everywhere. It started with the fact that I had to help DS sew a flag for his troop. It was a shot heard round the world because I didn't have any space to sew. So I took all out of the office. Then he has to sort his room because much of that stuff will go in the office to make room for an open closet music studio, etc. . . in his room. The idea is to finish by today. That is a tall order.

I became compulsive, then exploded, then ate in remorse. Bum deal. Best I could do was talk to DS and apologize. I gave him some things to say when I get like that: He liked "I know it embarrasses you for me to see you this way so I am going to leave for a little bit." I know that I am doing the best I can. The anti-seizure medicine has really helped but it hasn't eliminated all episodes. Acceptance is the answer to all of my problems. I don't have to punish myself by overeating. I must give myself credit for what I do that is healthy. If DS is the "canary in the mine" to test our home, we are ok. He is a happy kid, kind, loving and enthusiastic. That has to show something. Yesterday he volunteered down at St. Vincent de Paul helping with the food locker. He was very excited about the program. What a kid. I want to grow up to be just like him.

KarenRN: Good for you for getting the new mattress. In the end, the greatest priority should be health. My in laws suffered all kinds of ailments and had a mattress from the 50s.
onebyone: Glad the test showed all was good.
BBE: I'm telling you, the app world will suck you in with more info than you thought possible. A detail man like yourself may never emerge again.
nationalparker: Credit for taking the time to make a wonderful salad.
ennay: I never could run. My body would never tolerate it.I always thought it was such an efficient way to exercise. You can burn calories in twenty minutes that would take me 60 minutes plus to burn. Oh Well.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:37 AM   #141  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Morning all!

I was laughing yesterday when I went to pick up my son from baseball camp because all the coaches (mostly college kids, a couple a little older) were complaining about how ridiculously hot out it was. At 77. At least being a wimp is kind of an Oregon trait. We just dont get weather here to speak of. The first year my kids were back in school and I had flexibility to run whenever, I managed to run almost every single day for a year and only have 16 days where I wasn't running in the 40's.

I have very sore muscles today. I had one of my exercises go to failure yesterday, so that my shoulders are sore makes sense, but it seems to have set off a cascade reaction in my whole body. EVERYTHING is sore. My run later should help flush it out. Or make it worse, but probably the first.

Yesterday I went to the farmers market for the first time this season (WOOHOO!) Our Farmer's Market is kind of like a giant block party. People just hang out there on the lawn. We got dinner there and I got a gyro, which is usually fabulous, but it just wasn't yesterday. So I actually STOPPED EATING IT. What a concept. I didn't like it, it wasnt good for me, and honestly the 5 bites I had were enough for dinner anyway. My son liked it, he finished it off. After eating his dinner, and then part of my husbands dinner. That kid can eat 3000 calories a day and he is still so tiny (he is 9 but more like an average 6-7 year old in size - and athletic/skinny).

Had a nice fire pit at home for our anniversary. Cut a bit short by rain.

This weekend is going to be very challenging food wise. I have a joint mom night out/birthday party tomorrow night for me and another girl whose birthday was this week. Saturday dh and I have our anniversary dinner and then Sunday my non-profit has it's annual membership meeting/potluck. Yoikes!

maryann I think running can be a double edged sword sometimes. One of the things I did to become good at running was get my body very very efficient with its fuel. Which doesnt do good when you are no longer running.

onebyone - Good luck with the saboteur. I do exactly the same thing until I gain momentum and I still fight that a lot. I had read something last year about people actually being LESS likely to achieve goals when they state them out loud which really resonated with me. For some reason 3FC has managed to be a safe space, but I do not state my goals out loud any more. dh has surely noticed that I am being food conscious, but I have not mentioned the diet even once to him, let alone to anyone else.

Last edited by ennay; 06-23-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #142  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

A check in from my vehicle down in Denver. I am not driving it the moment. LOL my girlfriend and I left at 6:15 this morning to go down and determine what roofing materials we would install. We have repeating in my vehicle and I'm sitting in the car taking a break while she speaks with the guys who were painting her old Porsche. I believe it's 40+ years old she is the original owner. It will be nice when it is finished.

Food started out good yesterday ended up not so good. Part of the problem was that I need to replenish my unplanned foods. Last night I did not have a fresh vegetable or a salad to add to my dinner, which was healthy. It was just the one snack afterwards that was not so great and I was out of bananas so Did not have my after dinner or before bed either.

Solution. Stop at the natural food store before I head back up today. I'm also out of a few items for my smoothie. My food plan goes downhill when I'm not adequately stocked. friend is back time to go. Take care all!
Old 06-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

Didn't go to water aerobics last night at DH was very tired from a day of running errands. Did bag up 6 Oz portions of cherries to take on our camping trip. Ate on-plan all day for the last two days but have been nibbling on peanuts today (provided for us by the boss at work) even though I had an on-plan breakfast and lunch don't know where the "hunger" is coming from. Very excited tomorrow being the last day before a 6 day vacation.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #144  
Enjoying la bella vita

Well, dinner was a bit of a bust tonight - something was "off" with the Jennie-O turkey sausages so we ended up actually throwing them out and then had to quick restart with something else. FREE food was all around me at work today - boxed lunches and also mexican buffet. Brought home a boxed lunch for DH for tomorrow, forgetting that he's off. Oh well... My food was decent today. Scale was down a bit but no budge today. It'll need to be a lot of smart days strung together here for a victory on that scale, though.

Seemed so hot this morning on a brief dog walk - 80 and 90% humidity at 8 then breeze picked up mid-morning. Bad storms during the night and sleep was so shattered between the keeping an eye out for the storms, then when the storms hit ... and a scared kitty that hopped up on me, oh, 15 times.

Millie - Hope your trip is wonderful. I kept meaning to check back in or PM you with camping meals that work out healthy for me But my idea of healthy might be diff than others... One of my favorite "first night" meals even when we fly somewhere is to bring along already cooked and sliced up Italian turkey sausage links that I freeze so they stay "good" and romano/parmesan. Then just quickly boil up the water with the pasta, add seasonings and we have a fancier meal than the other nights.

Project for this weekend has turned into a new gas water heater. The one there is still "ok" but DH wants to catch it before it springs a leak and he thinks it's close. The funny is, he was telling me all the priorities we have around here to tackle this summer, an expensive season, and I said well, are we discussing them or are you telling me? Oh, well. What do YOU think needs done? I mentioned that in the winter he said the water heater was key and he'd completely forgotten it. SO, that jumped to the top of the list. I also said we needed a kitten, but he somehow didn't hear that priority.

Talking myself into going into the cupboard and removing a few bowls that my mom bought me that I just do not use, and putting in the goodwill bin. I need the space, do not need the bowls, but have a feeling I will wimp out on it. All in good time. I might just try to reorder that cupboard this weekend and move along a few other things as well.

Bill - I wish I could adopt your bunnies into my yard. I adore seeing them. A mama had her baby one out yesterday and it was getting too close to our patio and she kept nudging it to hop to the brush. Just to put another option on the table, have you checked Google's Project Fi service for phone? We're debating going to the go phones but I do like to use the Waze app, so are checking into that service.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #145  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Henry VIII crowned king (England, 1509)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, found the house where a Nissan Leaf parks, but they weren't there. I want to see how they've installed their Level 2 home charger. I feel like a voyageur - perhaps because that's exactly what I am. Except peeking at volts not skin, LOL.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, because there're no unhealthy snacks around. I realized at one point that perhaps I only needed water. I drank a 12 ounce glass quickly. Methinks that I need to increase my water intake.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – At our house we both work diligently to avoid being out of bananas - a crime. Neat to stock up on what's good to eat.

maryann - It took a new fridge for us to get rid of the refrigerator magnets - even with the two kids long gone. Congrats for moving forward.

nationalparker – Ouch for a new hot water heater, but Yay for tackling it before there's water on the floor and installation is at emergency plumber rates. Do you buy and install it yourselves? [Thanks for the link to Google Fi - looks kinda interesting.]

millie56 - Bosses should find some other reward than food. Neat to prepare cherries for your trip.

ennay - Super Kudos for "So I actually STOPPED EATING IT" - that's so hard for me.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Creating Escape Plans for Family Traps

Consider the following sample escape plan as you brainstorm and craft your own.
Escape Plan: Family Trap . . .
Situation #1: Baking cookies with Mom. I will be tempted to eat too much. She will insist that I take lots of cookies home with me and may criticize me if I don't.

Sabotaging thoughts: I'll hurt Mom's feelings if I tell her I'm not taking any cookies home.

Reminders: How much cookies dough Mom eats will have zero effect on the weight that I'll gain if I eat more than I planned.

Strategies: Call Mom now and tell her I'd love to bake with her but I won't be taking any cookies home.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 124
Old 06-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #146  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Quick check in. I'm leaving in an hour for the Flagstaff area. We'll do a hike today, camp overnight and do the Inner Basin to top of Mt. Humphrey's hike tomorrow. We'll either camp again or head for home. The weather should be great, low 50's in the morning to mid 80's for the high. I'm so glad to get outdoors and do some hiking. Summer is a hard time of the year around here although I am thoroughly enjoying the Group Power class at the Y that I went to yesterday. I'll try to post again on Sunday and then I leave Monday and back Saturday or so.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #147  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches!
I was zipping through the posts the other day and saw I was being thought of, which I truly appreciate! I confess I haven’t been following the posts much but I do miss you all!
Frankly my life just feels so different now, and while I would like to lose weight, it is not my top priority at this point. I have all the things and errands to do that my DH used to do, plus take care of him at times, and work, and juggle the needs of my teens.
I really can’t believe the things I used to worry about, they are so inconsequential at this point.

DH is doing better and survived two rounds of chemo. Apparently it will go on for 6 months if he can take it. He can’t eat anything now but can drink, and has constant stomach suction, and a 12 hour nutrition process at night, so there are a lot of things connected to him. The only positive is he isn’t getting nauseous and vomiting anymore, and actually gained a little weight from the nutrition. He started off much weaker than most folks doing chemo and with all the not eating stuff, it is very hard for him.
But he’s home and able to be on his own while I work, so that is all good.
I am sooo tired, it was a long week with things popping up like, the medical supply company forgot to send some stuff, and now something else isn’t covered by insurance etc. So many details on top of ordinary life! I am planning to do as little as possible this weekend!!
So we're surviving, and taking it day by day as the saying goes.
Sending good thoughts to everyone!
Old 06-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #148  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Morning all!

Well, my scale is not being friendly to me today. Up 3 lbs from ticker, up 2 from yesterday. I never used to be affected by sodium but I did eat a jar (a small jar!) of pickles yesterday so let's hope a little hydration and cucumbers will wash this away.

curlyjax All the hugs.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I'm sure you all heard the trumpets sounding and saw the flags flying over California yesterday about 7:00 p.m. They signaled the celebration of me trying on a dress I bought 19 years ago !!!!! which fit beautifully DH and I are going to a Hawaiin engagement party in a couple of weeks. I need to find something to wear. In the first year of dating, we bought matching Hawaiin print clothing as a joke while on a trip to Kuaii. I dug them out yesterday. What wonderful memories - being young and first in love. I felt pretty and fit. I have to remember that although I am not at my goal weight, many wonderful things have happened to me at this weight. I am adopting an attitude of gratitude.

Food is in the tracker. Distraction is great when I am home and not overeating so I'm glad I have projects to do. DS and I had a fun time setting his new, small recording studio up where the stuff toys and Hot Wheels tracks used to be. He was hesitant when I told him my plan but now he is excited about getting creative with his music. I never would have thought about it if I hadn't read "The Magic of Tidying". She said ( I paraphrase) Like goes with like. We removed the door off the closet. We sifted through than moved all the memorabilia scattered around the house into the office; moved all the books ( after many a donation box left) into one book shelf,then took all the instruments shoved everywhere and put them in DS's room. We bought two guitar stands so we could store cases away; used the newly empty book shelf for a sound board table with an 8 track recorder and speaker, and bought a mike stand with a boom. I found a stool in the garage and dusted it off. Voila! I think Santa might bring a standing keyboard which will fit beautifully. Like goes with like. Who would have thought.

nationalparker: You were so right when you said it takes a lot of smart days to see a change. My face is set with determination while I string smart days together and see only a pound drop after a week. But I now I can do this.

KarenRN: Enjoy Flagstaff. It is beautiful there. What a relief to be able to be outside for more of the day.

Lexxiss: Credit for remembering first things first. Available healthy food is mandatory for healthy eating.

Millie: Happy vacation.

Ennay: Good luck with the multiple events. It is always so much more difficult being around people and staying OP. But you have done it before. You know how to be successful.

curleyjax: My heart goes out to you. Thank you for giving me perspective on what I view as "problems." You are doing amazing things not just for your husband but for your kids as well. There is no perfect way to go through something like this.

Last edited by maryann; 06-24-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #150  
Enjoying la bella vita

Think I rescued a too-many calories food day with a lighter dinner of "clear the fridge" and ended up with two light (as in not much) cheese quesadillas and an ear of corn and pico de gallo. Yesterday there was a huge container with "help yourself" on it in our office kitchen and I did just that, bringing home steak fajita meat for DH since I don't prep that. He said it was excellent.

Outside weeding earlier and got dirt smack into my eyeball, so that ended that project in a hurry. It got in between my sunglasses and face and stopped me in my tracks.

Bill - DH will do the water heater replacement. He bought it this evening and then noticed that something was already attached to it that he'd spent part of the afternoon soldering together and now is sweating something. I get nervous when it's natural gas. But he said he's done this before and no biggie. I consider it a biggie. LOL at your loitering for Leaf learning...

Maryann - I was WONDERING what those trumpets were saluting! Congratulations!! And I had just put my DH's Hawaiian shirt in the Goodwill bag and you're having me rethink it.

Karen - TOTALLY missed wishing you well on this trip/hike ... hope all goes great. You certainly get in your activity, without fail.

CurlyJax - Maryann said it so eloquently - you are doing so much for your whole family - what a great example you are as a caregiver, mother, wife, employee, woman, etc. Your DD is certainly taking note, whether she knows it or not.

Ennay - Stay the course; I'm sure you will. Don't let that scale get in your head. (I never follow my own advice, but ...)

Lexxiss - I love reading how you assess what is "off" and correct it. I need to follow your example more. Credits for building your successful plan a smoothie or a smart shopping trip at a time.
Closed Thread