Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #1  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default Decluttering: June 18-July 1, 2016

Two weeks of decluttering. What would you like to clean up, toss, clear out?
Post your wish lists, to-do lists, accomplishments here. Make a commitment and keep it for the glory of your personal space.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-02-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

I am still working out in the yard as much as I can. My decluttering there is trying to turn weedy areas into maintainable, pleasant space. I finished a large area surrounding my greenhouse several weeks ago. I started on another large area today. I did get the weed cloth down in this new area and took time to set up the entire sprinkler system for the summer. Now that area will get regular water and I can plant.

I've slacked a bit in the house, but I am still making great effort to keep my sink clean my dishes done. This past week I really slacked on the laundry. I think the load of clean clothes stayed in the laundry basket for 4 to 5 days. Every morning I found myself digging in the basket for socks or underwear. It would take me pulling out five socks to find a pair. I recognized that I really don't like to do this anymore. It's so much easier when I fold things right away and put them away. So, I took the time and folded everything and put it away. Now I have a fresh start.

My friend from Glenwood who was having cancer treatments is now pretty much finished. She really wants some work and she'd also like some time to enjoy her freedom from constant medical stuff. I brought her over with me yesterday . She's visiting her friend in Denver right now but she really wants to work. I'm going to hire her to do deep cleaning of my house while I'm at my restaurant job. It will be a win-win situation. I'm looking forward to it! That will probably start on Wednesday.

Soooooooo..........I am committing to getting my home 98% cluttered in the next three days. I can do this because I have really made an effort to keep up with it over the past year. That way she will have open spaces to clean. Hmmm.... I just looked over and my winter boots are still sitting downstairs. I think it's time to put them in the closet. LOL.

On a totally different note, I am starting to think about certain supplies that I want to stock up on. They are doing a huge Road project which at some point will make my access to my home difficult. I could be without direct access for a month to six weeks. I will be able to park up on the next street and walk up and down a very steep set of stairs. It's a staircase I don't want to carry heavy things on. Last fall, I found cat litter on a superduper sale and bought enough to last the entire winter. I just ran out a month ago. I've started looking for it on sale again to no avail. Today, I got the bright idea that I'd look online and see what it cost. Amazingly enough, there is a company who will ship for free, and will give a 15% discount for the first three orders. The price was fantastic even before the discount. I hope this works out because it means that 240 pounds of litter gets delivered to my front door and saves me putting it all in the grocery cart, putting it all in the car, taking it all out of the car and bringing it all the way up to the front of my house which includes three small sets of stairs. In my decluttering and reorganization plan I'm always looking for an easier way. I hope this works!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 06-18-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #3  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Hello Lexxiss. Hello All.

Lexxiss, thanks for starting up this thread.

I'm afraid I am regressing on all fronts. Once again I cannot access my studio for anything but storage. There is no space to work in there again. It bothered me yesterday cause I felt like driving over and just getting some work in but I have to move the stuff for the farmers' market out of the way first and then move it back and I have nowhere to store the large tubes that hold my large prints and drawings and paper. I wasn't up to doing that and then working too.

At home the boxes never went away, the chaise is covered up again, being used as a table top. I so wanted to stretch out on it last night but once more lots of preliminary work to be able to do that.

Kitchen is not bad though. But I never did completely put everything away.

If there's one thing I know, and that you show me all the time Lexxiss, it's that any action will move me forward and it doesn't have to be perfect. Just make a start, BUT KEEP AT IT.

Today I need an area where I can fold large sheets of paper into smaller folded sections. I need this area free of clutter and to have a clean surface. Sounds like a table, eh? LOL. I am going to declutter and clear the coffee table, the top of it, underneath it, and around it. I am going to use it as my work surface today. When I am done, I will put my tool away and store my projects in a bin. I am making blank pamphlet journals for this coming weekend's special show.

CHECKLIST:

1)DONE declutter TOP of coffee table
a) throw out garbage and junk
b)clean off top of table for clean work surface

2)DONE declutter UNDERNEATH of coffee table
b) sweep or vacuum under it

3) DONE declutter AROUND coffee table
b) sweep or vacuum under it

4) MAKE JOURNALS/BLANK BOOKS/COLOURING BOOKS
Goals:
10 pamphlet books PROGRESS=22 BOOKS READY/COVERS MADE/NEED ASSEMBLING ie. sewing
10 watercolour dbl sided crazy folded books PROGRESS=11 BOOKS READY FOR COVERS
5 different kinds of mini colouring books planned out to be ready for photocopying tomorrow PROGRESS=NONE
gather all one page books/kits together PROGRESS=NONE

5) put work away when done tonight DONE

Last edited by onebyone; 06-21-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Well I haven't been on the decluttering thread for awhile, but with this heat I'm in the house a bit more. I started rereading the Green Book this morning and it is reminding me that the skills I learn can help me in other areas of my life besides dieting.

This afternoon I'm committing to going through my closet and drawers yet again. It's just something that needs to be done regularly. I will likely find more to give to away as some of the clothes just aren't worn, shoes too.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Karen
Old 06-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Just reporting back that I did go through the dresser and closet and got one large bag of clothes that I know I won't wear. Also reorganized and tried things on. I do have a stack of shorts that are about 5 to 10 pounds too small and a separated them out so I'd know which ones they are. I forgot to look at the shoes, so I'll do that today. I also have a closet in one of the spare rooms where I keep some off season clothes and I'll check that out today. The only other major thing I have to take a look at is photographs and not the ones on the computer. I'm resisting going through them. Not sure I'm ready to do it, but I'm starting to think about it.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

Go through grandchild's clothing sort too small and hang or put in drawers all that currently fit her - Done
Measure craft room for new flooring - Done
Print new photos for Grandchildren's photo collage, exchange them with old photos and rehang on wall - Done
Still need to find a pic for grandchild's Disney photo collage of her with her little sister also still need to go through boxes of paperwork and misc. stuff on the two tables in my craft room. Will be attending a declutter-a-thon for 4th of July weekend and hope to continue to work on the craft room.
Also need to clean the hot tub that DH drained but refuses to clean without my assistance. Hopefully next weekend as well. We are going on vacation starting Saturday and really looking forward to that time away.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #7  
my 1st baby "Pepe le Pew"

S/C/G: 276.8/272.2/health

Height: 5' 4"

HOWDY!! I'm here -- just will post and catch-up later ... n to all!
Old 06-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #8  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Collected a "basket" for Goodwill today including a sweater that I LOVE but it just isn't flattering. Should be on someone slender ... and the basket is a marketing basket that was a gift from a friend that I just will never use. It's to be used as a carrying basket in a store so you don't have to use theirs, but I will never haul it around. A bit of guilt, but ... it might be just what someone else is looking for. Also culled more cookbooks. Will wait to drop off until tomorrow to see what else I can choose to pass on.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hello!

The unexpected roofing project at the rental house certainly made it a challenge to keep ahead ahead home this week. We finish the project at 4 PM yesterday and I spent about an hour taking care of things in the house. I got the laundry started, got the dishes done, put some things away. This morning before work I moved forward again. I started unloading the vehicles. A little bit at a time we'll get it done. I had 240 pounds of cat litter sitting on my front porch. On the boxes are inside and are starting to be carried downstairs. We have a huge Road project which is going to happen later this summer. My only access to our home Will be from the street above using a very steep stairway. I'm trying to stock up on things now that will make life much easier later.

I dug through laundry basket to find my clean work shirt. I realized I really don't like doing that anymore. When I get home I will put clean clothes away. Credit.

With my crazy schedule it's very often that a routine does not exist. I always do find, though, that a little bit every day Keeps me ahead of the game.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #10  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

No real info on my part to add here. Just saying hello. My studio is unusable still and I am wondering "what good is it anyway?" In the winter, it is accessible, but cold. In the summer, once my farmers' markets start it is a holding space for my market stock and display. i can't walk in there today and start working. I'd have to move stuff outside the door while I worked. That's enough to a) stop me from going there and b) if I get there, stop me from working. I'm starting to think of letting go of my studio. Sad, but true.

I have to remember though that today I am tired from being out all weekend in oppressive heat and not selling much. I spent weeks getting ready for this weekend with very little return. The world owes me nothing, I know that, but there has to be a better way. Maybe this weekend will be better but this weekend I have three days out in oppressive heat plus DH's birthday so can't really settle into a summer work routine yet.

Will stop by again soon.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-27-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #11  
my 1st baby "Pepe le Pew"

S/C/G: 276.8/272.2/health

Height: 5' 4"

Hey onebyone - I hope that this weekend is much more profitable than last. :sales: here is some "sales dust" for you ... I also hope that you have nice summer - with a breeze - days. to you!!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #12  
GlenwoodHotSprings

I'll close this thread. I'll leave the new one to someone who wishes to commit to two more weeks of decluttering. For me, it's just a daily requirement now.

I had the opportunity for much reflection both yesterday and again this morning. My carpet guy came yesterday morning and it necessitated me emptying 3 rooms into other spaces. I got to re-experience how my life was before I committed to downsizing my "stash". I had stuff all over the countertops, no place to sit, dining table piled and to complicate things I had emptied the cars of all the project supplies. I couldn't find stuff, I had no place to cook or make my smoothie, my office was like a maze. It was uncomfortable and stressful. This morning I've already spent 4 hours putting things back in place. Life returns to normal.

I work a 12 step program which emphasizes "getting your family history straight.". My family history with clutter goes way back. Closets were stuffed and everything fell out when you opened them, dishes undone, piles of laundry, garbage bags full of old paperwork taken to the basement.....My mom was the clutterbug and I recall my dad's frustration. Sometimes he would get angry and just start throwing things away. I would pile phonebooks on a chair and try to do dishes....

Bottom line....I never learned skills of household management because there was no good example. So, I just followed in my mom's footsteps always wishing things were different.

What I've learned over these past few years is I have a choice BUT it comes with effort. For me, it's just like dieting; it's a daily effort. Sometimes it takes more effort. This morning it did but I did it because I like my new life.

I also acknowledged while putting things away that I really do have a place for everything now. For me, it's key. I did notice my glove/hat drawer is getting pretty full. It's time to sort again. It's like my sheets....I really don't need 6 sets of sheets and 15 blankets. Two sets of sheets and several extra blankets works just fine and I have room for other things. I will commit to sorting my gloves.

Now, out to the yard. I have a vision yet resist putting it into motion. I commit today to finish one bed using all plants I purchased yesterday while I was in vision mode. Now it's time for action mode. lol
Closed Thread