Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Food was fine today. I was able to do the 1.5 mile walk I planned. I am having some new pain with knee and hip joint pain in my right leg, which is concerning. Oddly about the only time it did not hurt was during my walk, but it really bothered my while grocery shopping later in the day.

I have been realizing in the last several days that the idea of losing my consistency of good habits I have put in place is really terrifying. I feel like if I miss a day, everything is going to fall apart. I don't want to end up back where I was 8 weeks ago. So, I am working on positive self-talk about this, while walking the fine line to remind myself I can't miss out on these little, important habits.

Bill Blue Eyes, great job getting in your walk AND for food being on plan!

Curly Jax, good luck with your plumbing situation!

Gardener Joy, what a great idea to prep for next year! I can't believe your weather prediction for the end of the week!

Karen, RN, congrats on your great hike yesterday!

National Parker, awesome job at realizing "I'm in control"!

One by One, credit to you for your consistency in posting lately! Great job for choosing water over eating from your emotional stress. I am really happy for you about your diet convictions!

Sandy (Love 2 Garden), stay warm!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #107  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I took my smoothie to work and almost forgot to drink it. We were pretty busy. I was almost ready to go home and got a text from DH he was coming down to eat. Oh well. I ordered a burger and FF for my employee meal and shared it with him. He got most of it. Came home had a snack and took a long nap. No dinner. Will have a banana before bed. I'm happy to have done a bit of yardwork yesterday. We have a bit of snow tonight. Every step moves me forward. Good night all.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - President's Day (U.S. Holiday) Canada’s maple leaf flag (1965)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – (-9) degrees Fahrenheit was a new low for Boston. CREDIT moi for even leaving the house, LOL. Our standard Sunday walk got shortened since DW wasn't sure that she would last that long in the bitter cold. At a later walk to the drug store, I saw men crowded in line buying last minute Valentine's Day chocolates. They'll be on sale at half price today - a good day to avoid going into stores.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks just a little over. The Sunday newspapers were delivered so late that I read the morning paper during my lunch.

onebyone – Kinda hard to believe, "I have already acclimatized to the temperature." Super Kudos for taking the effort to determine that Buffalo wings contain loads of sugar.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Valentine's day sometimes makes me wish that chocolate hadn't been invented.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Just amazing that you can do some yard work here in February.

FutureFitChick – Thanks for the reminder "to remind myself I can't miss out on these little, important habits."

nationalparker – See's Chocolates should be quarantined to California to spare the rest of us. Kudos for making a plan to spread them out.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, Kudos for a few days of food within calories. That historic house tour sounds fun.

curlyjax - Hope you were able to thaw that frozen pipe. (-15) is just cold.

Sandy (love2garden) - DW eventually went out and we both had a laugh at how many layers she managed to wear. She got so warm that in thirty minutes she had to remove her gloves so that the excess heat could radiate.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

Escape the Entitlement Eating Trap

To escape this trap:
  • Read your advantages list often. You might even create multiple sets of cards, using creative lettering, different colors, photos, or images. The act of writing and routinely repeating these ideas to yourself will carve those neural grooves a little deeper.

• Ask yourself which entitlement you want more: delaying distress for a few minutes or getting the advantages of healthy eating and weight loss? Consider posting a copy of your advantages list in your most vulnerable areas, such as the fridge or the pantry door.

• Create your own list of comforting activities, and continue adding to it as you think of new ideas. Look for boards on Pinterest, or follow pages on Facebook or Instagram that post clever ideas for pleasurable activities.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 76
Old 02-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #109  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hello..

I tried searching but couldn't see an answer to this. Would you guys recommend for someone who is trying to restart this method to start with the original book first or would the diet trap solution be a good book to start with?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
i forgot to say happy valentines day yesterday so a belated one- and good its over! My daughter made oreo truffles the night before which were very rich so that was our portion controlled sweets. I have had enough chocolate for awhile! DH made a nice turkey dinner so we have lovely leftovers for awhile.

the pipe is still frozen and pretty unaccessible- the good news is if it bursts, at least it won't leak in the house. Hopefully it will just thaw and be ok, fingers crossed!!

Nationalgardener I have finally watched episode one of the new sherlock, it is good! Although i wish they wouldn't talk so fast I feel like i am losing some important clues!
futrefitchick- glad you are feeling good enough to walk! I know what you mean about leg pain, i keep having it on and off and it is very discouraging when you are trying to do the right thing by exercising.
Nelie- welcome or welcome back! I find the first book the most easy to follow in the beginning.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #111  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

I had better post now, or it may not get done.

Yesterday's food plan was not what I anticipated due to eating a late lunch out with my friend after the home tour. Instead of a burger at home for dinner, I ate the planned sweets. I stopped at a nearby cupcake shop that also has home made ice cream. I hadn't wanted to stop there before for fear I would want to stop regularly. I don't think so. It was almost $20 for 2 cupcakes and a pint of ice cream. The cupcakes were good but way too sweet and it's all gone now. Dh loves ice cream, so he finished it off.

Today I'll be heading to the airport with dh, then up to the Tom's Thumb trailhead for a quick hike before I have greeter duty, then home where some friends are coming to spend the night and have a visit. I have a plan for our supper that is healthy and low cal.

Oh do I ever wish we could stir the weather around and moderate all of us. It's supposed to be 90 by Wednesday, which is a record. The earliest 90 degree day before was 2/24. Usually it is more like April.

I'll get to personals tomorrow. Let's start the week off right everybody!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #112  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up progress report, with, progress, to report.

Coaches

So my Atkins workbook requires me to weigh and measure myself every week. This is now week 3 of using this workbook and following a low carb foodplan. I had one day off-plan this past two weeks, (last Sunday), and it took until today to get back to the weight I was then. The so-called "cheat day" plan is really not for me. Honestly, I don't have any interest in it as it's really been so long that I have seen the scale drop drop drop that I am not overly anxious to do something on my end to slow that down.

So, according to my measurements I have lost 2" from my waist and 1" from my chest, 1.5" from my hips, .25" from my upper arm and the rest is the same. I always take measurements with a grain of salt as I am never sure where exactly I measured last, or how tight I pulled the tape measure. So these actual numbers are but I do believe I am smaller than when I started and "it's around there" is what I think. Yay Me. *credit*

Weighed in today and saw 271.8lbs. May this be one of the last weighins in the 270's for me.... please please please!

DH and I are basically eating separately right now. He continues to eat crap food. I make stuff. He doesn't partake. That's how it is right now. Oh well I say. I am pretty sure I weigh what he weighs, could even be more, so I have to keep going and I know his choices are not in my control and I have to stay focused on my choices. I always make enough for two. Always announce what I'm making. He can take it or leave it at anytime. It's all ok with me.

Today I am working on a painting I started a few years ago. I think I have it in me to complete it now. I am excited to see what it's like to paint in my reclaimed dining room. I still have plenty of boxes and stuff to deal with, but space for an easel, a chair and a small table still exists! Credit for decluttering efforts.

nelie Hello! Welcome back. I'd say start with the book you have. Just start. Beck's new book, judging by the excerpts Billblueeyes posts, seems to be better written (for me anyway). It connects to me more. But I have the pink one and the green one and I use the pink workbook. Easy checklists in there. Kept me focused on what I needed to do to keep the weight off. So, not much help from me except to say jump in!

Last edited by onebyone; 02-15-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: I'm going to need to employ a proofreader soon.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Last day of five day "vacation" with family at the cabin. I have to say, I will be glad to see the end of guests. These folks are the best of the best and DS and cousin play beautifully with each other but I still feel on stage. This is difficult in a time when my emotions are so volatile. I have stopped reading the Beck daily and have not entered into MFP for several days. I cannot say I have been going overboard with food but there is no scale up here.

I have made two important steps in trying to regain emotional balance. I have released all my sponsees with directions to find new sponsors. I will not attend my home local AA meetings. All of this has been done under the direction of my sponsor. After 28 years of sobriety I have become "Mary Ann" rather than just another alcoholic. I am looked to for leadership but AA is built on revolving leadership. I need to find a meeting where I am anonymous. I will also cut down on work hours. After 25 years in a high poverty school, I am showing serious signs of "war time" stress. I will look for another position but for now I will cut down on hours. I have plenty of comp time and sick leave.

These steps, along with following the Beck program, posting and taking the medication faithfully will hopefully start me on the path to peace. For the first time in 25 years, I will be starting new in many areas of my life. I will still have the support, though, of a few key friends along DH and DS. While I don't feel optimistic right now, I know intellectually things will get better.

Postives:

two full days of skiing no pain
hike planned
DH card for Valentine's Day which told me I have his heart and that he feels a "lucky man" to have me
A happy DS
A beautiful day in Lake Tahoe planned
Old 02-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #114  

Height: 5' 2"

OnebyOne As you are working on the unfinished painting, what medium are you using? What is your subject?

MaryAnn You are REALLY adjusting your life!! Good for you. I can understand why being anomalous would make a huge difference in your AA meetings. Sounds good that you are adjusting what you can.

Really support you in changing your place of work and even perhaps the type of work. Use that comp time and sick leave and give yourself the care you need. Your wonderful card from your husband is one to keep and refer to often.

Karen I'll root from the East and perhaps we can even out this crazy weather. Our snow from last night that called off bunch of stuff, is melting and I see the road out front, thank goodness.

Bill your wife wears lots of clothes as I do. Yesterday I was so bundled up going to Church that DH had to drive. We found parking right in front so I pealed lots of layers and didn't bother putting some back on. My "scarf" was so big I couldn't see left or right and tho silk and cotton, it still itches. Grrrrrr

Sandy
Old 02-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #115  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Argh - yet again I missed my freer time at lunch to post - ended up working through lunch. Ate very lightly during the day and a larger dinner tonight. Quick prepped some chicken/asiago ravioli in a parm/red pepper light sauce with roasted carrots. Quick prep and dishes are done and we'll enjoy the fire and relax together tonight.

CurlyJax - We think the same on Sherlock (speedy speaking) and have had to rewind a few so I could catch them. My brother puts on the closed captioning to make sure they catch it. I find that too distracting when watching a show.

Bill - Wow credits for walking in -9. You New Englanders - hardy stock, as my mom used to say. Laughing at the image of the last-minute minutemen on the choc buying.

Nelie - Hello! I agree that I found the first book and then explanations great to start but do start with whichever one you have. Like OneByOne, I'm finding the latest one fresh but I've not bought it.

Maryann - Kudos for working toward what works for YOU. Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into what will bring you mental peace.

Frustrating day at work as our computer system was just not functioning well. Got done only 1/4 of what could have been done had it chugged along. Yet took the full day to just get that done. Now that DH's home for a few evenings, I need to allot my time better to check in during the day.

Proud that I had a great weekend, though - foodwise. I weighed in today under ticker after moving it up to 177 earlier since I just wasn't seeing 176. Sheesh. I'll take it. Onward to 175. It's been too elusive and I've been too sabotaging toward myself.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #116  

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Food was OK until dessert, when I elected to eat ice cream out of the little carton. I ate more than I planned. Next time it will be in a bowl. I was able to exercise as planned, but still have unexplained knee and hip pain.

I am frustrated with myself for the amount of goofing off I let myself do today. I did do work, but not my top priority. I can't continue to do that and meet my deadlines. Grrr! I am trying to be forgiving of myself and say it was just getting back in the swing of things from being out sick at the end of last week and over the weekend. I guess tomorrow's productivity will tell.

Here is a snippet about Karen, RN's Tom's Thumb hike. It looks like an interesting preserve.
http://www.examiner.com/article/tom-...sonoran-desert

Bill Blue Eyes, you are very insightful to avoid stores the day after a choco-liday.

Curly Jax, good job for sticking to the portion-controlled sweet.

Debbie R. (Lexxiss), good job for dealing with last minute meal plan changes.

Karen, RN, good job for getting in your hike and having a healthy meal planned!

Mary Ann, credit to you for doing so well when you indeed sound as though you need a break. Good luck with these big transitions. Hang in there! We are here to support you as well!

National Parker, wow! Your dinner sounds lovely!

Nelie, welcome if you are new here. I have only read the pink-cover book, so can't give a better recommendation for you.

One by One, congratulations on the shrinking numbers!

Sandy (Love 2 Garden), hope you are doing great!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:47 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Dupont patents nylon (1937)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, in the lightly falling snow to meet a friend for dinner at an Indian restaurant where we've never been before. Good choice. I had Goat Curry - something I'm sure that DW will never make at home. I'd forgotten that the main ingredient in goat is bone and muscle - lots of exercise getting to the meat. It was an OK restaurant's worth of food.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks were slightly large. I felt that I had to have a pre-dinner snack since we'd be eating late. The light snow is still out there waiting for me to do a minimal shoveling.

onebyone – Yay for inches gone - however uncertain the measurements. Kudos for being able to see yourself as a separate person from your DH.

FutureFitChick – Thanks for the link to Tom's Thumb hike. We just gotta have a 3FC Beck reunion out on those Arizona trails. Always Kudos for the work done despite the Sabotaging Thoughts that it could have been more.

maryann - Super Kudos for your continued ability to seek a path forward for yourself even when it means discarding the expectations of others.

nationalparker – Kudos for being happy with your scale reading. I hate it when a computer costs me a bunch of time at work.

Karen (karenrn) - Neat that your guests will face "I have a plan for our supper that is healthy and low cal."

curlyjax - Will keep my fingers crossed for your pipe to not burst. Warmer weather is predicted.

Sandy (love2garden) - Too many layers is just right in this weather.

nelie - I remain a fan of the original, The Beck Diet Solution (pink book) - possibly because I worked through that in its 42 days to get myself thinking about Cognitive Behavior Therapy (now Cognitive Therapy). I benefited from the discipline of having single step goals to keep me going. For someone who isn't concerned about just staying the course, the major criticism of that book is the Seven Questions Technique which I think is difficult to pull off without interaction with a trained therapist. That technique didn't make it into the next two books. The complete Beck diet for life (green book) added some neat strategies like Memory Cards which are terrific - as well as a full diet which doesn't seem to have many full time followers. The Diet Trap Solution (blue book) takes a different cut that I find refreshing mainly because I need just that - to be refreshed. It ever so oddly drops Diet Coach and Diet Buddy. And even though it's the most modern book with mention of, say Pinterest and Instagram, it doesn't mention on-line support groups. Conclusion: Any one of them is a good starting place provided that it's followed - CBT is elusive because it's so easy to designate as trivial and thus can be ignored. If you forced me to hand you the book, I'd hand you the pink book. Good luck. I hope you consider joining us here. We'd benefit from your fresh perspective.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

#4: The Killing Time Trap
You turn to food when you're bored,
. . . . .tired, or procrastinating.
Beth still struggled to control her eating in the evening. Some nights she would find herself, around nine or ten, standing in front of the refrigerator just wanting to eat anything. I asked Beth to think about where she felt the desire to eat. Was it in her stomach? Did she have an empty sensation in her abdomen? Or was she experiencing sensations elsewhere in her body - in her mouth, throat, upper body? Beth wasn't sure, so she agreed to monitor herself over the coming week. She would gauge how she felt just before she went to the refrigerator, and she'd be on the lookout for where in her body the desire to eat was coming from.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 76
Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #118  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I will definitely join you here, I've been thinking about diving back into Beck, but it is a lot of work which I never allowed myself to commit to in the past. The funny thing is, I used a lot of the things on my own when I first started losing weight, I kept a card with me on why I wanted to lose weight and that was back in 2000? I read another book on CBT which really wasn't clicking with me but I think it wasn't as laid out as the pink book is. So I will be using the pink book as my guide.

Anyway, this morning I did day one and created my advantage card. I work from home so I put it in front of my work computer and I'll read it throughout the day.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #119  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

Where is everybody today? I had a couple of snack things that put me over calories yesterday (my friends didn't come stay with me cause they were sick), but miracle of miracle the scale was still good to me. No gain. Today I walked 3 miles with a friend, went to the Y for strength training class and then walked 3 miles to the store to get a few more miles in. Food is on plan and should be no problem the remainder of the day. I have a plan and then going to an early evening movie, Rams, with a friend.

Welcome Nelie! I only have the Green Book so that is what I use.

Bill I would love to have a reunion in Arizona. I think February would be a good month to have it.

FutureFitChick I hope you are having a very productive day today.

NationalParker I'm glad to hear you are seeing the scale move in the right direction.

Sandy Wouldn't it be great if we could actually influence the weather to moderate?

Maryann Those are some big changes you are making. I'm behind you 100% and hoping all of your work makes for big positive changes for you.

Onebyone Great job sticking with your plan and you are seeing some good results. That should be quite motivating.

I would attach a couple of photos of the places I love the best, but I don't know how. When I try to add an attachment from iPhoto, it won't go. If anybody has a quick hint, please let me know.

Onward and upward.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:16 PM   #120  

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Exercise went well, and I had very little hip and knee pain today. I was slow, as it was icy. Food was on plan, under calorie goal. I was responsible with my ice cream, though I used a marker to mark the limit on the side of the small container rather than scooping in a bowl. My free time is short, and I have more work to do tonight.

Bill Blue Eyes, great job getting in a walk in the snow. Ha ha about "main ingredient in goat is bone and muscle".

Karen, RN, glad the scale worked out in your favor. Excellent job on all of your miles too!

Nelie, great job on creating your advantage cards!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 02-16-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Closed Thread