Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #136  

Height: 5' 2"

Bill Your book on Dark Matter sounds great. Our smaller libraries are so limited on what they carry. I miss the previous times I would go with DH while he inspected building on campus in different states, I was in library for hours and never, never bored. Thank goodness he had lots to do. I certainly miss that opportunity. Guess we all have to retire sometimes. I will still try to find it as it sounds very, very interesting.

Did you see the great PBS programs last night on Dinosaurs? DH even stayed awake for that. Hard to imagine that an animal of that size existed here on earth. A thigh bone 8 feet long and not a full grown animal!!!

Today was Mass and Lunch Bunch. We had such a good time and my Carrot/Pineapple salad went fast, as usual.

Sandy
Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches & Buddies.

Good day for food and exercise. I got lost in some technical issues at work, putting me behind for the week. Yikes! Praying for a productive day tomorrow.

Bill Blue Eyes, good job on the walk. What an interest talk you attended.

Curly Jax, great job getting to the gym!

Gardener Joy, great job sticking to your plan today!

Karen, RN, glad you got to have a lazy day to enjoy!

One by One, good job getting your walk in!

Sandy (Love 2 Garden), glad you had a nice lunch.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #138  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - New Amsterdam renamed New York (1674)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, glad that I had an excuse to stop by the library. When I walked in the door, the librarian went to the hold shelf to get the book I'd come to pick up. Alas, there were none; I was breaking my pattern and was just dropping off books and browsing. (I can't stop chuckling that "New Amsterdam Values" just doesn't ring my bell, LOL.)

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks were larger than I wished. I did make it through the morning without my planned morning snack. I didn't buy Necco candy hearts at half price despite the urge to do so. One clue is that despite my Sabotaging Thought, I didn't have a single one this year, my urge wasn't for one but was to eat the whole bag. The other clue was that I was keenly interested in the half price despite being aware that the full price wasn't much money.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's good science even when the data doesn't support the hypothesis. Madame Curie would just keep on trying.

FutureFitChick – Getting lost in technical issues sounds like the briar patch to me. Yay for good food and exercise despite that.

Karen (karenrn) - Don't know why you need fleece jackets in Arizona - you can just turn down the air-conditioner instead.

curlyjax - Glad the pipes didn't break. "stirfry with veggies" sounds like a healthy choice.

Sandy (love2garden) - "Carrot/Pineapple salad" sounds like a healthy contribution to lunch. [Didn't watch the PBS dinosaur show; did I miss a good one?]

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

#4: The Killing Time Trap

Beth realized that she often had the desire to eat while watching television at night, especially when the program was somewhat boring. She channel surfed but often couldn't find anything that really interested her. We talked about some options:
  • She could stop watching television and find a more engaging activity.
  • She could find something else to do besides eating while she watched television.
  • She could watch television and just accept the mildly bored feeling.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 77

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-19-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:12 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
it is supposed to be 50 here this weekend, even if its raining one am i'll take it!!
DH did a hunger experiment on his own of only consuming liquid yesterday, i was impressed. Confession, I never did that Beck exercise. Maybe I could do it if I wasn't the one arranging dinner etc! He also picked up the book Wheatbelly part two or something at the library, which I said I had indeed heard of thanks to Maryann! I would be interested in seeing what they say to eat other than avoiding wheat products-

the kiddies want to go the gym today after work so we shall. We keep debating about dropping the membership but as long as its actually being used I can justify it. When I get my act together I can download NPR podcasts of weekend fun shows and then its a lot more enjoyable!
TGIF!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:15 AM   #140  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I figure I had better do an early post. I'm doing a 10 mile hike with my two friends this morning and then picking up dh at the airport just after noon. After that I just might need to buy some groceries. I have done things just as he does when I'm gone and just eaten out of the fridge.

Bill You funny guy, the fleece jackets are for our trip to Peru next month. We cross one pass on the hike that is over 15,000 feet. I think it might be cold up there. My coat and jacket supply has diminished greatly over the years we have lived here. Now I'm in a pickle when it gets cold.

FutureFitChick Here's hoping today is very productive for you with no technical issues.

Sandy I love carrot and pineapple salad and haven't had it in ages. My Mom used to put some raisons in it too.

Curlyjax I sure am glad your pipes thawed and didn't burst. Boy that would have been a mess.

Have a great Friday everyone!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #141  
Green Tomatoes

I ate more than the plan I'm easing into -- and had even more hot flashes last night in spite of getting rid of a quilt. I worked through why I couldn't stick to the plan yesterday (fear and shame over not being able to stick with the work I assigned myself) and a solution (find something fun and easy to do late in the day). So, I feel in a better place to get closer to that plan today.

Today's challenge is a Trivia Night -- four hours with lots of food and a party atmosphere. I'm going to do what worked last time -- eat before I go, plan a snack for when I get home, and bring my water. No food there. Focus on the fun.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40, 730/1200 minutes for January, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 02-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #142  

Karen I put raisins in mine, too and use yogurt as dressing. I love it and it is so pretty, too.

Bill The new dinosaur is largest found. They put a model of it together in huge abandoned hanger and it dwarfed the men. With very long heavy tale to balance the very long neck, it could eat off of trees extreemly tall, just weaving neck back and forth between the trees. Plant eater. Found tooth of a meat eater among the bones that was huge and very sharp. Figure they bones were there in watering hole that dried up in dry weather. South America has some interesting finds.

Credit: Good weather and able to walk outside. Felt fantastic. Hope to do it again tomorrow.

Sandy
Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am waiting for a third visit of the dishwasher repairman. At least I get to sit in my chair and type this. That is the silver lining of incompetence.

It has been interesting to see the aftermath of the schedule changes I have been making. My sponsees that I have released have all been loving. Two refused to go ( they have 20 years of sobriety each so that is fine) and now the gossip among the other 12 step members in town are having their fun: Maryann is cracking up, we are so worried about her, ect. . . Like I have failed or something by deciding to go to meetings out of town and get a different perspective. In my smaller minded moments, I try to think of someone else I know who has nearly thirty years of sobriety, the same home group for that period of time and has any kind of life I admire. Hmmmm. Slim to none pickings. Then I remember it doesn't matter if one other person has followed the same path. I am determined to find peace not for me but for my son. He is 13year olds. He deserves a non crazy mother who reflects him over these next few critical years. Not vice versa. And DH and I are committed to creating a loving, truthful, comforting family despite each of our weaknesses and history. I worked two days this week. I'll work 3 and a half days next week. I am still considering an entire leave of absence. My husband and counselor are against it. They don't like the idea of untying all my 25 year old commitments at once. I can see their point but I don't FEEL their point. For today, though, I am still employed.

What does this have to do with a diet blog? Well, I have had the most severe six month emotional swing of my sober life and I am barely two pounds above ticker and within less than ten pounds of my goal weight. That is a tribute to following the outlines of healthy eating habits I have learned: logging food into MFP, exercising when I can, posting the truth here. I can't think of a more disheartening situation than walking through this emotional period to the other side but finding myself fifty pounds overweight AGAIN.

There is no situation that a compulsive bite of food can't make worse.

love2garden: Any chance of getting the recipe for carrot pineapple salad? Maybe Karen asked you and I missed it.

gardenerjoy: Congrats on looking at the food thing from a different angle. I fall into patterns that are not helpful. Anytime i get a different perspective is usually helpful. This is a long race, this peace with food business.

BBE: I just realized from your post that I didn't have a single candy heart either this year. That is amazing.

curleyjax: Wheatbelly was fascinating. How is your husband's job search going?

KarenRN: In terms of cold weather: I am planning for layers when I go to Ireland. I have found a thin layer of soft merino wool to be essential in light packing and warmth. I bought two new ones because I wore the other one to rags. It squishes up to nothing, breathes, and doesn't wrinkle.

Last edited by maryann; 02-19-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #144  

MaryAnn I don't use a real recipe for the salad. I grate 6 large organic carrots (they are sweeter), Drain 1 can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, use 1/2 cup of pineapple juice and add 1/2 cup (approx) raisins to it and heat in Microwave to plump up the raisins. Add about 1/2 cup organic yogurt to juice/raisins, about large pinch salt, squeeze or so of honey, less than 1/4 c lemon juice. Add liquid & pineapple to carrots and refrigerate. I stir it up several times because the juice goes to bottom. Next day I stir it all good and put in beautiful blue pottery dish to really show it off. No exact measurements, sorry.

As far as your leaving the group you have been part of (and supporting for ages) I say, it is about time. Keep us posted on your progress. You have really made lots of changes in past year or so and are better off for it.

Wool: How good and warm wool is and agree, it packs great. My problem, I go into asthma attack when I'm around wool. Had to stop needle point because of it, too. No other needle craft was as enjoyable, except sewing my clothes and clothes for the kids.

Sandy
Old 02-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #145  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, if I can get through the evening without going further off track, I'll take it. Today is Day 12 of my re-push and was doing well. My pattern seems to be take a "break day" every 10-12 days on track. If that's the way to get back on firmly tomorrow, I'm okay with that. I gave in to the donut Friday today with a maple cream donut. Cut back on lunch but then added in add'l sweets this afternoon. Measured dinner portion and will call it an early night.

Late night yesterday as we went to see the late showing of Trumbo at the cheap theatre. Sparked interesting conversation that almost devolved into a fight.

I'm enjoying looking up through our transom window at a nearly full moon tonight. The cloud cover of the day has blown away with 50+mph winds today, bringing in wonderfully warm temps.

Love2Garden and Bill - We, too, enjoyed that dinosaur show on Wednesday. If you see it on rerun, Bill, it's worth catching. I also liked the following one our PBS showed on the Iceman.

Bill - My mom would often remind me that the Necco wafers were made by the New England Confectionery Company. She was a proud New Englander. Of course, she never bragged about the Narragansett beer haha - Never in our homes but I used to love the "Have a Gansett" billboard we'd pass when visiting family up in RI.

CurlyJax - Savor the warmth tomorrow with me! Continued credits to you for being active with your kids - great job!

We went to Applebee's of all places last night for dinner to use up a gift card that was about 18 months old ... DH ordered off their light menu and really loved his entree and I ordered soup and baked potato and did well! We typically don't seek out a chain restaurant, but were pleased and it was close to the theatre.

Will check in tomorrow morning with fresh eyes and mind, and looking forward to connecting with more personals. Have a great night!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #146  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default hard evening last night. improved today though.

Coaches

Grief is a funny thing. All day yesterday I felt doom and gloom. Just to-the-bone sadness. I was questioning everything I do, had massive what's-it-all-for's? and wondered whether I shouldn't be working with the dying. I have actually wondered that before I was sad but it seemed a particularly sad thing to be thinking about yesterday feeling so *useless*.

Two things though 1) I didn't eat to be rid of the feelings. It actually didn't cross my mind. and 2) I figured I was feeling so very sad because my feelings weren't hidden under a pile of crap food.

I didn't actually pinpoint the possible root of it until DH came home and then BOOM. Waterworks. In the bedroom, alone, in the dark. It's about the loss of my brother. I thought I would never be happy again. I was terrified about today coming. It's his birthday today. I came across the large packet of wheat seeds that I was going to give him so he could grow the wheat and then make his own flour. He would have loved to have grown a mini field of wheat in his backyard.

So I cancelled the plans I did make for today and just followed my gut and went to the nursery to buy some houseplants and some colourful plant pots and I set up my two plant lights and somehow it was the right thing. DH is out for the night with the guys from work. His boss had his last day today and he was a big help to DH when he started at that tough job.

I have eaten on plan. I'm heading out for a short walk and the day is almost gone. But it felt like my brother *just died* and not like he died a few years ago. I don't get how our emotions can get triggered so much but they do. I really miss him though. I was lucky to have him at all. I'll just cherish that. No cookie, candy or anything else can match or cover up the depth of this emotion. I'm glad I was wise enough to not even try. CREDIT.

Have a good night.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-19-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I increased my walk distance a little bit today, so credit for that. It was super windy, so it was a real challenge on the parts of the walk I was against the wind. It was also super warm (60 degrees F) and found my asthma was considerably worse. I was also much more self-conscious of being out walking, although I didn't really run in to that many more people along my route than usual. I did not have a food plan, really, just lots of leftovers. I was barely under my calorie limit, and I can't say my food was particularly nutritious, interesting, or enjoyable. Will make a falling-asleep meal plan for tomorrow.

Today I was incredibly fidgety and distractible -- one of those days that I am constantly tabbing between windows on my computer because I am too impatient waiting for it to process. I made progress, but still am very frustrated. I feel like I am back where I was two years ago with this work. Hopefully sleep will help, as exercise didn't help much with the anxiety over my deadlines today. I need to be more functional than "just hanging on", so I will spend at least 5 minutes in the morning on meditation as a step in that direction.

Bill Blue Eyes, nice work, thinking through your interest in candy hearts.

Curly Jax, I hope you had a nice workout!

Gardener Joy, good luck with Trivia Night, both the questions and the food!

Sandy (Love 2 Garden), I am glad you got to enjoy a walk outdoors today!

Karen, RN, I hope your hike was lovely today!

Mary Ann, I got chills reading your statements of commitment for your son. He is very lucky to have you! I hope you reach some clarity over your job transition plans. I am grateful you are on this forum sharing!

National Parker, credit to you for moving on from a day to not go "further off track".

One by One, major credit to you for sitting in the sadness! I hope your haze of lowness dissipates soon!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #148  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - John Glenn orbits Earth (1962)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I finally wrote up a report that I've been procrastinating about; CREDIT moi for doing what needed to be done next. Walk included inspecting a new building being constructed abutting its property line on all four sides - can't imagine how they got the permit to do that. It'll have an 'automatic' vertical parking system. Looking forward to seeing that work during foul weather.

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi; afternoon snack was larger than planned. Dinner was grilled Tuna; DW believes that it's sustainable and that we can tolerate the mercury in fresh Tuna once a year or so. I felt like I was eating the last Tuna on the planet. We really don't have it often.

onebyone – I'll think of your brother today and let myself drift into thinking about my sister whose memory is so precious that it causes pain to visit. Houseplants are a great healer.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Hats off that you can do four hours of Trivia. I'm one of those who could have been beaten by the Apple I.

FutureFitChick – Yay for walking in warm February weather. It's just stupid for the brain to ever invent being "self-conscious of being out walking" - needs a better design, LOL.

maryann - LOL at the thought that it seems that you're cracking up if you move forward. Sending supportive thoughts for your thoughtful journey.

nationalparker – Neat to create a good experience at Applebee's. [Yep, NECCO wafers is us.]

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at "eaten out of the fridge" - BTDT. I am so jealous that you'll get to explore Machu Picchu. I know so little about Americans before Columbus.

curlyjax - Yay for kids keeping the exercise happening.

Sandy (love2garden) - Walking outside is great. [I remain in awe of large dinosaurs.]

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

#4: The Killing Time Trap

Beth weighted her options and decided she'd like to have a number of activities to choose from. First we talked about what she could do while watching television. "I'd like to get back to knitting," she said. "I had been working on this sweater but I got too busy a few months ago and put it away." Then we discussed a few other possibilities, and Beth made a list.
When I'm Bored (Instead of or While Watching TV)
  1. Knit and listen to music.
  2. Check out Facebook or YouTube.
  3. Plan a vacation. Do Sudoku or crossword puzzles.
  4. Make an online dating profile and start to look at what guys have posted.
  5. Call Thea or Jody.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 78
Old 02-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
We did make it to the gym yesterday- and then the bakery on the way home, yeesh! I did get to sample some really healthy stuff the other day- a dish made of edamame , pineapple, ginger and quinoa which was so good, I will have to try to duplicate it. The cook talked about healthy eating practices which sounded great, but she doesn't have any kids and her DH has her same ideas- so frankly, that makes it a lot easier. I should put more thought into how i can do this without cooking lots of extra meals for everyone or letting them eat processed junk so I can have a break. Actually my DH will eat anything, we just disagree on things like butter and salt, which he adds to everything.

Maryann- good for you for making that decision about sponsees and meetings etc, it sounds very wise. A less depressing envt could indeed be helpful, but i hear that breaking long ties would be hard. Glad you have some time to sort it out. DH still looking, thanks for asking! At least he is doing contract work- for the same place for over 6 months now, you would think they would just hire him!!
bill- interesting about that building parking system, you guys live in snowy town!
Futurefitchick-good luck with that writing, that is a formidable project but you will get there! Good for you for getting that walk in the wind.
love2garden- sorry about your lack of libraries! We are lucky to have a big network we can order books from. I just found a new book of Shirley Jacksons writing that I am so excited about!
Onebyone- sending you supportive thoughts as you process your loss.
Karenrn- I didn't realize your big trip was coming up so soon, exciting!
Nationalparker-I think a break day every 10-12 days is great!! you go girl!
gardenerjoy- 4 hours is a lot of trivia, hope it was fun!
wave to Lexis and anyone else!
Old 02-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #150  
Green Tomatoes

I always feel like I did good enough at Trivia Night if my table got three questions right that they would have missed without me. I got my three: Alf, bling-bling, and that there are seven shapes in the game Tetris. Apparently, I was paying attention in the 80s and 90s. Our team tied for second, only one point behind the first place team. So my three questions made the difference between placing and being one of the many also-rans.

The hot flash experiment data was thrown off by an early supper and a very late snack. There were fewer of them but longer duration -- these things are just weird. CREDIT for following the plan that I'm easing into except for a bit of wiggle on portions sizes. At least ten more CREDITs for every single time that I said "no, thank you" to food offered last night.

Today's challenge is an all-day class with breakfast and lunch served. I packed cereal in case the only choice for breakfast is donuts. There's enough for that and for a snack after the class so I can take a walk while I'm out there.

The class is at the Shaw Nature Reserve, owned by the Missouri Botanical Garden as an arboretum and a place to develop and study native ecosystems. A nice place to walk, in other words.

The class is on how to make a slideshow from photographs, taught by one of the photographers who led our Cuba trip. I have friends signed up, too, so it should be a fun day.

Foodwise, the plan is to focus on the fruits and vegetables and have tiny servings of anything else I want. Keeping in mind that I won't starve because I have cereal.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40, 770/1200 minutes for January, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Closed Thread