Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Still sick, so I wasn't able to exercise today. Food was within calories, but poorly balanced. I expect to be back to normal tomorrow.

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 02-12-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I had tried a post yesterday but it was lost. Just as well. I was not feeling great. Today I am in the cabin with DS. He is excited to ski. I'll do some brush up lesson and then he will be with cousin. i am sure he will own the slopes by Sunday.

Credit for food OP yesterday and today is planned. Skiing is wonderful exercise.

Still very emotional. A scathing work email from a supposed friend really ruined the day for me. She later blew it off with "Oops I shouldn't respond to email until I have had my coffee."

These are the lessons I am trying to internalize from it.

She is an explosive person and is an acquaintance not a friend.
I do not want to unload on people like that hence I am taking the medication.
I am stressed enough to be giving people too much power over me.

One day at a time. For today, I have done what I can to create peace.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 02-12-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 PM   #93  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up safe to toss

Coaches

MIL sent me home with an 8" square pan of raspberry squares, a half a chocolate chip banana bread and a half a banana nut loaf. I kept them wrapped up on the counter, then moved them to the dining room table DH forgets about anything that isn't pie, unless I am eating it, and I'm not so it's been a few days and he hasn't mentioned them so tomorrow out they go. Let the raccoons have them. *credit for not eating that stuff*

We're supposed to get a dip in temperature to -25C overnight, feeling like -30C. Unfortunately it's the one farmers' market day of this month (indoors. barely heated.) and I sent them an email saying I won't be there. Tough decision for me but opted for the cautious route of not making myself sick or stressing out for an unknown quantity of ca$h money, even though I vowed to make making ca$h money a priority yet again this year.

Coaches I am feeling very bad over something. Bad enough that I have felt like eating over it. I didn't send thank you notes to the professor friend who showed me around the university when I was in Edmonton to see my father in the fall. I also didn't send a thank you yet to the professor in the print department who took the time to show me around and discuss the masters program there with me. AND I never contacted the gallery owner who was one of the judges at the juried art event where I won 2nd place. These three people/events are really important to me and to my future here as an artist and I have not done the next thing I need to do. Is it too late to do this now? These things all happened in late October. Would it be wrong to send thank yous now, so late after the fact? I haven't wanted to face writing about not doing the masters or applying for it this year. I don't know where I am at with that but I do want to acknowledge the joy I felt thinking about the possibilities. And the kindness and thoughtfulness they showed me.

Foodwise: stayed home today. Had planned to go out this evening but the snow and the bitter cold has kept me in. In the morning I have to go out but not to the market. I have to install the artwork in the gallery and also unload the ceramic kiln. The the weekend is mine. Today's food was sparse as I mostly battled staying awake. Exhausted today for the most part. I mostly ate leftovers. I've been tracking again after skipping two days mid-week. I have it written down elsewhere but didn't transfer it to my workbook. Weird resistance there. Tomorrow's food is planned. *credit.

Kind of rambly note but it is 11:02pm. Now I need to send it before I lose it like I did before...

Goodnight all.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #94  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - “Chuck” Yeager breaks sound barrier (1923)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was cold outside; it's colder out there now. So cold that the battery of my tottering 20 year old Toyota wouldn't turn over the engine. The dear old car is way beyond worth the cost of all the repairs that it legitimately needs; it's just a great reliable driver. Perhaps I do need to get a new battery, LOL - they don't last much beyond five years.

Big event was to baby-sit our 4.5 month old granddaughter so her parents could go to a restaurant dinner - their first time out without her. We were given many, many instructions. We had to remember that an inquiring baby needs constant stimulation of new stuff. We also had to figure out how to set up and take down the current portable crib - called a Pack and Play. It's so easy to do that any fool can do it. However, it's just subtle enough that it eluded both of us. Fortunately, we must not have been the only ones - a google search immediately discovered a YouTube video that saved the day. Yay for Mac and Cheese in the fridge so that we had a quick dinner when she finally fell asleep.

onebyone – Kudos for standing down all those sweets so graciously given by your MIL. My take is to send the thank-you notes now - without apology for being late. Most folks are aware that there are a zillion reasons that writing a note gets delayed and just appreciate receiving it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder that our backs need TLC when we attack snow.

FutureFitChick – Sending virtual chicken soup to help fight off what's bugging you.

maryann - LOL that your DS "will own the slopes by Sunday" - no doubt. Kudos for taking the time to resist being done in by a scathing remark.

nationalparker – Love the thought that the second donut helped you avoid eating part of one. [We've avoided Sherlock - I suspect we'd get sucked right in.]

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a casually dropping into a 7.2 mile hike. (Not thrilled hearing about your 80 degree F weather today when 20 is projected as our high.)

curlyjax - Love hearing that you DD keeps so going to the gym - wished she lived with me.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

With these strategies in place, Beth was finally able to overcome the habit of soothing herself with food. The first few weeks were difficult; she still had to fight against her "giving-in" muscle's strong urge to stop at a fast-food restaurant. But as time went on, her resistance muscle became stronger, and resisting became easier and easier. She gradually had less and less trouble going straight home, eating a healthy dinner, and remembering to consult her ever-growing list of self-soothing activities, which helped her get the comfort she was entitled to. She felt better and she lost weight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 75
Old 02-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #95  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Bill, I got a chuckle this morning....that Pack and Play was definitely difficult. I think I've finally mastered it, though, through trial and error. Silly me didn't think about utube. lol

It's been another whirlwind of days for me and food is ok. Weight is ok. I am ok where I am. Credit.

I was looking forward to some days off doing just what I wanted (after mandatory appts.) then DH decided Tuesday evening that since the weather was far better here that he was going to bail Glenwood and head over here for a week. I had to shift gears and think about life together again lol. Wednesday he got here and immediately wanted to head to Denver to do some of his "stuff". Since he doesn't drive down there I switched over to accommodate. So nice....I took the extra time and put my bike on the rack. I still remember my love of biking before all the "crazies" started several years ago. I rode a little bit and certainly started the sabotaging thoughts as my biking legs are much different than my waitress legs. I got into remembering how I used to be then switched and focused on what it takes to get back there. A little bit each day. Had to take Mom to medical appt. on Thurs. so took the bike again and felt much better on it-day 2. Went to a meeting in Denver yesterday-took the bike again and rode around a big lake. Felt a little sore last night so my bike legs are getting stronger. Credit. Beck has taught me to make progress daily. Yay!

The tenant showed up last night with $900. Means no eviction (and associated hassle of re-renting). At least for this month. Lol. I am relieved. Credit moi for continuing to be kind instead of aggressive and controlling. I know that helps me in my journey in more ways than one.

Today....yard work! Yes, I know it's not Spring and I know it will snow again (lots), but today it will be 52 degrees and I can do some clean up that didn't happen last Fall. An initial raking of the yard will give a hint of things to come and a little exercise, too.

I need to head out with the pups right now but wanted to check in first. My sick pup has increased diuretics...

FutureFitChick, Bing is my older Cocker Spaniel rescue. He is in advanced stages of Congestive Heart Failure. He had the start when we adopted him seven years ago. His cardiologist is amazed how well he is still doing despite some increased "episodes". He had troubles with the high altitude when I went over the Continental Divide several weeks ago but did better on the return.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #96  
Green Tomatoes

Dinner and a play with my sister-in-law last night -- good for the brain, but disturbing content.

If at all possible, I'm not going to leave the house today. With a high of 20, I'm going to stay inside and think cozy thoughts. I'll come up with something creative for exercise or plug in the treadmill.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30, 465/1200 minutes for January, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: how about writing your thank you notes on Valentine's Day? Just say you were thinking about things you loved in the last year. Also, if it's stressing you out to report on progress for the master's program, leave it out! A thank-you note doesn't need to include a progress update about you, it can be all about the other person.
Oh! And I agree with BBE -- never apologize about that sort of thing. Apologies tend to make it all about us again and makes the whole thing much more awkward. Thank you notes are all about making the other person feel good. Thank you notes aren't expected these days, so no need to apologize. But they are nice to get and nice to send.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I am feeling about 85% normal, finally. I was able to do ½ my normal walking, and plan to do Ύ tomorrow. Food has been fine. We are going out to dinner tonight, thus the early check in.

Bill Blue Eyes, I am glad you had such an enjoyable time with your granddaughter. Thanks for the soup-wishings.

Debbie R. (Lexxiss), I am amazed your weather is good enough for biking at the moment. I am so glad the tenant paid! So sorry to hear about Bing's CHF. That stinks, but am glad you have a good cardiologist.

Gardener Joy, great job having a plan and convictions for your exercise today.

Mary Ann, I hope you have a great weekend skiing. It sounds like you need the weekend away.

One by One, great job for not eating the junk food. I firmly believe it is never too late to write a thank you note.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #98  
persist

Thumbs up exercising control "this is not an emergency"

Hi, Coaches.

Just got in from out in the -22C (windchill -31C) cold. Extreme weather conditions always make me want to get out and experience them. Then run inside! lol.

While out I checked my phone and got an *irritating* email about the gallery space I manage for the guilds in the artisan shop. The former manager is irritated cause I nixed her exhibit after she said she didn't want to do it there, the participants were cranky about doing it there and were balking at showing there work there "since it doesn't sell" and then to top it off there were mix ups after she allowed work into the show after the fact and then a painting got switched and a guild member waited months to have it straightened out and the guy who sold it waited even longer to be paid a measly $50. Now she's mad that I "may have space available" in the gallery when she assumed the reason I said no to her exhibit was because we were full. I built flexibility into the year and I get to choose now, and so I started and email in the car and just simply stopped. I didn't finish it. Didn't send it. Nothing. Not sure what degree of honest I will be with her on this but no way are we doing that show again. Nope. Anyway, knowing this is not an emergency, I am tabling it to tomorrow or the day after.

I came home though and I wanted to eat. Instead I am sipping water with lemon lime flavouring in it. *credit*

And *credit* for having good choices for myself at hand.

And also *credit* for reaching 1/2 of my exercise minutes for the month before the month is half over. I have consistently and deliberately moved my body for 10 minutes everyday this month. (ugh. DH just opened a bag of chips. sigh. that's not about me....) I think I'll head to bed.

gardenerjoy I LOVE your suggestion of writing those thank you notes on Valentine's Day. Wow. Perfect. I don't feel like they are "late" now, but part of the spirit of the day. I will write them and mail them tomorrow. Thank you also to Billblueeyes and Futurefitchick for echoing the sentiment that it is never too late and always a pleasure to get a thank you note--without any apologies needed.

Have a good night.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-13-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #99  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Valentine's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Was a tad chilly, but I walked, CREDIT moi, to Staples to ask why the new Hewlett Packard ink cartridge didn't work in my printer. I no longer had the receipt - purchased about a year ago - but thought they might look at the cartridge and give me a clue. They did! He asked if I'd pushed the button to inquire about the ink level of all five cartridges. No, I hadn't - I was only printing in black. Well, it seems that when you replace a cartridge, HP checks the level of all five cartridges and decides to print from none of them if any one is feeling under the weather. The cartridges go on strike as it were. I checked; the photo black cartridge had dried up; I replaced it; I'm now good to go. I'm aghast at the gall of it all. Was cheered up when we saw Lady in the Van with Dame Maggie Smith last night - superb.

Food was on plan for the day, CREDIT moi, if I count my morning snack as covering my three snacks of the day. It felt like a good food day. This morning, it's Negative 9 degrees Fahrenheit outside. DW has suggested that it would be crazy to do our standard Sunday walk. I may agree with her. (-9) is seriously cold around here - a new record to be sure.

onebyone – Yes, go outside then come right back in with these low temps. Kudos for keeping your cool after an *irritating* email.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I know about those plays that can be so disturbing. Yep, staying inside is the only way to face these temperatures.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for a tenant with rent money in hand. Kindly don't mention "today it will be 52 degrees" from cold Colorado. Kudos for taking your bike with you for some exercise. And thanks for the Pack and Play reinforcement - we were so embarrassed that we were the only folks on planet earth who found it unintuitive.

FutureFitChick – Glad you're feeling well enough to go out for dinner.

Karen (karenrn) - Waving. Happy anniversary of Arizona becoming the 48th state in the United States (1912).

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

Escape the Entitlement Eating Trap

People often get tripped up by their concept of being entitled to feel better. Of course they're entitled to feel better! But trying to feel better through overeating backfires. It's simple incompatible with the goal of losing weight and keeping it off. Like Elizabeth, you have to decide either continue to overeat and feel better temporarily (and worse soon after) or comfort yourself in nonfood ways, lose weight, and start reaping the rewards.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 76
Old 02-14-2016, 08:38 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

quick post coaches- it is -15 here, the coldest i think i have ever seen! they are issuing windchill advisories, if it was a weekday i bet there would be no school.

Our half bath toilet pipe has frozen!! it is more exposed than the rest of the house. I'm hoping we can thaw it with some hot water, which happened once before, and it hasn't been frozen too long as i know it was working last night at 11pm. So fingers crossed!
The good news is it will be warmer the rest of the week.

Sending a wave to everyone-
kudos to lexiss for your yard work, and getting back on the bike, that is great!!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #101  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I typed in a post yesterday, but I guess I previewed it and then didn't hit the post button. I'm just glad it wasn't a long one.

Food has been within calories for the past couple of days, credit. Yesterday dh and I did a 5 1/2 mile strenuous hike, credit. Today is a day off from exercise as I'm going to a home tour in a historic district with my friend. Dh will golf and we'll have a simple meal and dessert for Valentine's Day. I will probably just pick something up so it is just one portion. I am sure I'll go over calories today.

Dh is going to Costa Rica for the work week, so I'm hoping I can cut back on calories a bit. We'll see.

I can't believe the differences in the weather. We are mid-80's and may even get to 90 this week. It is much too early for that. Normal is low 70's as the high this time of year.

Bill It is too cold to walk, I'd say you need a day off to stay indoors.

Onebyone I agree, just a quick step outside is enough for the temps you have. Sorry about the irritating email, and good for you to table the response. When I do respond quickly to something like that I usually regret it.

FutureFitChick Glad you're feeling almost back to normal.

Waving to everyone! Have a Happy Valentine's Day!
Old 02-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #102  
Green Tomatoes

Happy Valentine's Day! I really got blindsided by chocolate cravings this year, even though it was entirely predictable. I'm putting a note in Tickler for February about how to <3 myself through the holiday.

The high got to 23 yesterday and I got out for a walk, after all. Without wind, it was actually more pleasant than recent windy days. It's snowing right now -- but Lexxiss is right, we'll get her weather eventually. They're predicting a high of 70 on Friday!

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +55, 520/1200 minutes for January, Food: 60% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 02-14-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #103  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Posting now and aiming to check in at end of day but I aimed to do that last night and missed any check in. A very good day for me on track yesterday. Mostly because I was on the go the whole day and left around lunchtime not hungry, but didn't worry about it as I rarely face temptation of food out alone. I was on the go from spot to spot until after 4, coming home to bring DH his dinner from the cajun spot. I ate my "lunner" at 5 and that was it for the day, staying busy all evening and then chatting on phone with my sister (it's been maybe 8-9 months). I realized I was hungry around 9:30 and knew I'd be up a while longer, so had a 120 cal bag of pistachios and called it good. Was under for the day. Sister had sent me a package with chocolate, more chocolate and some peppermint goodies and other items. I can stand down all chocolate with the exception of these Sees butterscotch chocolates. There are eight pieces (I think) in this package for a total of about 700 calories. At first I felt OH YAY. Then OH NO. Then, wait, I'm in control and can thoroughly savor one every few days and no stray from program.

Made DH six chocolate dipped strawberries - They're not laden with choc, just a dip, so feel okay about sending them along. Birds are in a feeding frenzy outside before the snow comes, so have tossed a few iffy berries out for them.

AIming to get food prep done for the week - still have to roast those veggies and will make chicken pot pie for dinner tonight but need to do early to send with DH. I feel always rushing to prep a good meal for him to take but in all honesty, I have the day but I put it off.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #104  

Height: 5' 2"

As our weather stays below 20 deg, and heading to 0 I still cannot get warm no matter how many layers I put on.

Mass was worth going out for and DH found parking place right in front of the door. How fortunate was that!

Debbie You proved the point that continuing to be nice was the right road to take. Glad your tenants came thru for you at least at this time.
Hope you still get more time to do what YOU choose to do.

NationalParker I agree that watching the birds feed just outside is tru entertainment. I also appreciate that they come back when feeder is put away and keep bug population down. Of course they also gift us with some poison ivy, etc.

Time for Pat's butternut squash soup for supper!

Sandy
Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #105  
persist

Smile Written and sent.

Coaches

I took your advice and wrote the thank yous to the four people I wanted to send them to. Written and postmarked Feb 14. Good! As a bonus, I packaged my sister's birthday gift up and got that to the post office as well. Yay. Great. While out, I made sure to get my walking in for the day. I have already acclimatized to the temperature. I grew up in this cold. I found myself craving the freshness in the frigid air, and call me nuts, but I drove a ways with the window down. Crazy Canadian!

Foodwise interesting day. Weighed and scale fell into a favorite groove: 273. Ok. It was down. Good. I've kind of lost my desire for food today. Not having the carbs that trigger me is really working for me. My desire to overeat is gone for today. In fact I headed to the grocery store and just being in there I imagine all kinds of meals/tastes/dishes I could make. Today? I didn't want anything. In fact there were Buffalo chicken wings in the meat counter and I asked to see what the sauce on there was made of. Glad I asked cause the first ingredient was sugar. I just looked at her and said "I can't eat that," and I turned and walked away. No fight no fuss no regrets. It is just sooooooo important to me to see the weight leave my body. I haven't felt this committed this serious bout weight loss in years. So very grateful this desire to do the work of it has returned. Wow. How great is that???

Happy Valentine's Day Becksters

Last edited by onebyone; 02-14-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Closed Thread