Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #31  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! Lunch out at the cuban hole in the wall was a definite hit for DH. I liked the people there - we lingered over the menu in the window and a customer came and opened the door to invite us in (not the owner!) ... DH, who always says something is "not bad" and whom I accuse of lowballing life, actually said it was excellent. High praise indeed.

He's off today and I'm a bit envious. We have a few errands to tackle this evening before settling in for the football game. I always look forward to watching but then am up and about and just don't really pay attention.

Spontaneous activity - heading back out to the car in the parking garage to haul in a bag of magazines that was too cumbersome with all the regular stuff in the morning. It's minimum 20 minutes round trip so will add a 10-minute walk first just to get a little more movement.

Scale holding under ticker, aiming for downward trend. Dinner will be a bit plain - turkey burgers with caramelized onions or bbq cheddar mini turkey meatloaves (with said onions!) ... Found a recipe for chicken marsala meatballs (a la Giada) and that will be tested on the weekend. I despise mushrooms but can push them aside in the sauce.

Candy is all over the office areas - chocolate and the "other crap" ... or the stuff that is tempting vs. the stuff that I wouldn't eat anyway. So far, holding strong. I want to do a five-pound goal ticker but know I'd right away be up off the starting point and don't want a 7 pound ticker. I feel like I can't get focused, cut what I need to cut to get back under 160 again. The last time it was just for a week!!

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-03-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Love-Hate relationship with Beck continues . . .

Bit long-winded here, getting caught up.

BBE – Yum, who doesn’t love tangerines?! But where do Clementines come from? They are so cute & easy to eat; I wonder if there’s a catch: Are they just a hybrid or are they GMOs? (I know, LMGTFY!) Credit for avoiding those seconds, all the harder to do when sharing a meal! Great visual of walking in the wind with an umbrella. (Did it survive?)

Ceejay – you are always welcome. No one takes attendance here! (And we all relate to ‘bad’ months!) Sounds like yesterday was quite productive. Good going!

Curlypudge - good luck with the family birthdays AND T’giving. Kudos for reducing the volunteering demands during a busy month.

Gardenerjoy – always distressing to order a healthy-sounding meal and have it not be so. But I like your plan to keep that from recurring. Good luck on the NaNoWrMo. Care to share what you are writing? Creative? Novel? Memoir? Regarding your ban on commercial baked goods – does this include bread?

Karenrn – Glad you liked In Defense of Food. Love Michael Pollan. So much commonsense. Enjoy your refurbished bike!

Lexxis – Hope your sis is okay, treatments notwithstanding. Credit for logging calories. Tell us how it works. I believe in it – but have never done it properly - - when I did WW that was the hardest part!

Love2garden - to another gardener! I love gardens - other people's! (So glad you folks can’t see MY weed patch. lol) I like your reverse of "Just for today"!

Mamanerd – congrats on the 50 lbs lost – what an accomplishment!

Maryann – Hope you are able to stick with the sleep program – staying up 1½ hours later for an AM person sure sounds hard. Great on cleaning the office getting ready to work on projects. Just don’t let your head hit the desk during your delayed bedtime! (You mention being over 200 lbs at one point but your ticker says 173 as SW?)

Nationalparker – your soups have me longing for cold weather! I didn’t realize you were a salt-water chick. In a land-locked area. Oh dear.

Silverbirch – Sounds like quite a white-knuckle ride you had! You respond with gritted teeth - our car must have a dent in the passenger-side floor from my foot pressing an imaginary break there while certain (no names) people are driving. Glad you made it through! Credit indeed for not only offering a friend moral support but a lovely walk as well.

1x1 – Sorry to hear about DH’s regain. Kudos for remaining sugar-free, especially in this situation, and re-committing to Beck & the gym.

Have a good week everyone!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #33  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Not a bad day in that I did everything on my list. When I plan my food for the day I also plan a handful of things which must get done. I make sure they’re achievable and I do them. This is really working well. Credit!

I planned my food and that’s worked out OK except for that tricky point in the late afternoon. Perhaps I should swap mid-afternoon snack with lunch on days when I have to collect the DB and make the tea. I might try that. Credit for considering other ways of organising meals!

It seems that the mandarin is a variety of the orange family. Clementines, tangerines, satsumas etc are all cultivars and crosses.

Hello to all! :Wave: See you tomorrow.

WI: up 0.75lb. Exercise: YES. Spontaneous exercise:YES, stretching to paint behind the wood burner. Planned food: YES.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #34  

Height: 5' 2"

Still can't find my Beck book, but now that I'm home again, I'll try some more. I remember making the card with the special info on it, hope it is still with the book.

Veggie soup and veggie/Mozzarella panni for Lunch was delicious. Supper will probably be whole grain cereal/walnuts/banana/1% milk eaten AT THE TABLE!

I remember struggling with Beck insisting all eating be at the table and that it really helped me. Now I actually have regained what I lost and am beginning again.

Since I have lost in the past, I know I can do it again.

Today's 6600 plus steps show that walking in the sunshine can really help me in my goal to have at least 5,000 steps a day for 37,000 steps a week.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #35  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in today. Food on plan and within calories, credit. Exercise was just walking around the neighborhood and also home from the salon (husband dropped me off), credit but only a little. Reread some of the Green book as well as my two sets of cards, credit.

I had work guys here doing the restucco on the outside of the house. Wasn't even sure I could get out until my husband came home for lunch. The house is looking really nice. A little unsure of trim color now. I will get out for a long hike tomorrow.

Read Food Rules and watched a few videos that promote plant based eating. Don't think I can go totally that way, but considering doing Bountiful Baskets to get in more veggies and probably try new ways of cooking some that we haven't had. Have any of you had experience with Bountiful Baskets or another co-op?

Better get some last minute picking up done before my husband comes thru the door. More tomorrow. Oh and today was the start of the Weight Loss challenge on MFP.

Karen
Old 11-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Beck Friends,

Quick check in tonight. Credit today for eating healthy and onplan, packing lunch for tomorrow, planning tomorrow's food, taking a walk and checking in with my coaches.

Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #37  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation icky

Coaches

Today's challenge was to not overeat because I felt sick. A normal eater would not seek food as a solution to an unsettled stomach. Me? I kept opening the fridge door. I ate an extra bagel because it was warm and cozy while waiting for DH to finish cooking dinner. Not good but I stopped there. I was grateful there was no sugar in the house as I was hunting for it. Credit.

Time for bed. Tomorrow I wake up one year older. We're going on a day trip. Yay!

Bye for now.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #38  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Wanted to pop in with just a few personals before hitting the sack. Eating this evening wasn't completely OP but going over by 200 calories won't derail me as much as I think it will.

CeeJay - Good to see you here today and credits for the 4Ps - planning, packing, posting and participating! Great job. Glad you're "in" with me on a great November. Now remind me I'm in, too! Took a walk at lunch for 40 minutes and it was good to get moving away from the desk.

OneByOne - Happy Birthday and hope you are feeling much better for your outing tomorrow! Safe travels and ENJOY!

Love2Garden - I have GOT to write new response cards to get me through the next two months. I can't count two days of more food as two months of temptation. Thank you for reminding me about the cards!

Bill - Came away with three containers of raspberries at the market and thought of you - 50 cents apiece. I wanted to buy 10 to "save money" (my dad used to tell me I'd go broke saving money...) but in all honesty, I don't love raspberry smoothies because of those tiny seeds. I then thought, I should buy vanilla ice cream and put these beauties on there. Or make the white chocolate chip raspberry muffins or ... or ... Or just eat them like a normal person and don't try to turn them into something else.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome love2garden

love2garden

And, honoring your first month posting,

How did you hear about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find your way to our Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 11-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #40  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - U.S. Mid-term Election Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Major accomplishment of the day was to set the time on all five cordless phones to be the same and to match Easter Standard Time. That's not so difficult once I - finally- figured out why they have continued to set themselves out of sync in the past. Seems that there would be one phone with time akilter that would eventually rotate into the slot at the base station by our juggling of phones and that phone broadcasts its time as the master. I suppose the instructions explain that.

Walking, CREDIT moi, worked by the simple technique of wearing a winter jacket. I do like the chill against my face. No snack after dinner, CREDIT moi, because I'm so immersed in the book I'm reading that I didn't want to stop long enough to go downstairs and find something.

onebyone – Happy Birthday - may many more follow. Kudos for not having sugar in the house to be found.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for being alert to commercial stuff having an impact.

CeeJay - Packing lunch for tomorrow is always Kudos worthy.

silverbirch – A day with all items on the to-do list ticked off is a big winner. Kudos for stretching behind the wood burner to paint.

maryann - Yay for letting your creative urges work. What sort of books do you make?

nationalparker – Super that your cuban hole in the wall did its magic for your DH. Stay strong against office candy - remember it got there after being pawed about by little kids. [Fifty cent raspberries has me drooling. I can eat those little guys by the fistful.]

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for your house's stucco coming together. I've done food co-ops around here back when the kids were at home. It doesn't work for just DW and I because we aren't enough people to handle uneven allocations of stuff.

Mountain Mamma - LOL at being reminded of "LMGTFY!" (Let Me Google That For You for those who haven't heard it before.)

love2garden - Neat use of "Just for today" as an affirmation to stay your course. Yep, interacting with a group helps me to keep on track. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 25 Identify Sabotaging Thoughts
. . . . . .Once I get good at identifying my
sabotaging thoughts (so I can respond to them),
. . . . . . . . . . .dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 194.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-05-2014 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #41  
Green Tomatoes

Hunger experiment 2 today! CREDIT for attempting this even though I swore, last time, that once was enough. I have my discomfort chart all ready to go and I'm excited about letting this help me hit the reset button.

WI: +0.5 kg, Exercise: +50 105/1200 minutes for November, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Mountain_Mamma: I bake my own bread in a bread machine, so that let's me ban commercial baking and still eat bread.
For NaNoWriMo 2014, I'm working on a historical novel with a contemporary wrapper -- made possible because genealogy is one of the themes. Here's my elevator pitch: Three women in three centuries, who struggle to be heard above the din of world conflict and family tragedy, find voice in a bell in an English village church tower.

Happy birthday, onebyone! Hope you're feeling better. I also treat stomach ailments with overeating, so you're not the only one!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #42  

Height: 5' 2"

Gardenerjoy, your description of your writing sounds very interesting to me. Hope you can get it going and market it so I can try it out. I love to read and enjoy the connections with previous generations worked into stories.

Thanks Bill, I found my Beck book complete with most of my cards that I used a few years ago. I'd forgotten what a positive spin Dr. Beck puts on our thinking. This is going to be fun!

I'm so pleased that others are also concentrating on this way of life. How often do you move again in the chapters of her book?

* Walked for almost 7800 steps, much in the sunshine over uneven ground yesterday.
* Ate only when honestly hungry and stopped before I was full.
* Listed my goals for physical exercise including the weeks goal of 35,000 steps per week, 2 strength sessions, one on Wed and one on Sat each week.
Almost did it last week, short 5,000 steps.

Happy birthday onebyone, may you feel strong and healthy to celebrate!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

A tribute to the benefits of posting:

Wanted to write "read advantage cards" so I went and read them.

Had planned on a stinky treadmill walk late tonite and instead, read love2garden and am off for a walk in the warm sun, mid day when my cravings are the highest.

Remembered that I have shone resistance several times this morning when thinking about gardenerjoy's impending hunger experiment. Hunger is not an emergency.

Although the ticker hasn't budged, I have eliminated junk food. Why do I take that for granted when I couldn't put two days abstinence together for several months.

I feel good that I have read up on Propositions and am ready to vote.

mountainmamma: My ticker says the weight I was when I came to Beck. I was over 200 pounds at age 18. I discovered exercise in my twenties and dropped to mid seventies. It wasn't until Beck that I made ANY gains in my eating behavior.

silverbirch: To have a plan makes life free (seemingly inverse thinking.)

love2garden: I am trying to get out and walk in the sunshine as well. A former cardio junkie in the gym, i find the walking more holisitcally healing and I am 15 pounds lighter than I was back then.

karenrn: I got the leftovers from my mom's bountiful basket and the great thing about them was it forced me to use up veggies I don't usually use.

BBE: I have written short stories, essays, tributes, etc . . . then I bind them with heavy cardboard, decorative threads, papers, etc. . . . The tricky part is adjusting the printer to print on the non-standard pages.

onebyone: Happy Birthday.

gardenerjoy: Good Luck on the hunger experiment.

Last edited by maryann; 11-04-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Learned last night that Hunger is Not an Emergency is not a message heard when one stays up too late, gets over-tired . . . and . . . eats. Which reminds me, Maryann, how's the sleep program coming along?

Gardenerjoy - Are your homemade breads slice-able (for sandwiches)? Our multi-and whole grain stuff tastes good but our inclination is to tear off hunks & eat the whole loaf in a day. With Butter. Goal is thin slices, something everyday/all day but so far homemade bread turns out to be major Carb Loading. With Butter. Won't ask any more questions so you can get back to your writing. We're all ears. (Eyes?)

Love2garden - you are on a roll!

Nationalparker - raspberries at 50 cents?!!!!

1x1 - You are not alone treating tummy woes by eating. But great you are still staying away from the sugar!!

BBE - Amazing what info is in those phone instruction books! (So I've been told.) LMGTFY - over-heard my smart-alecky computer-nerd son telling his father. Who, missing the sarcasm, replied "thanks."
Old 11-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
thanks for all your supportive comments, I read and appreciate them and all posts.

DH has been away a few days dealing with his mom who is suddenly not doing well physically and there are various ideas of what to do about this. No one lives near her and it is time for her to move closer to one of us I think, but she is currently living in a very old non w/c accessible home, using two rooms upstairs only and having 24 hour care. I do not think this is sustainable, realistic or healthy for a variety or reasons, and I hope the whole family can come to an agreement and create a better plan, like assisted living near one of us. Family dynamics!
So with anxiety/stress about all this and DH being away, and my kids Halloween candy around that they are constantly chomping on, I haven't been good at avoiding the sugar. Or I'm just using that as an excuse to binge a little!
Anyhow, credit for actually making healthy meals while DH is away instead of eating frozen dinners which is what I've done in the past when he isn't around, tsk!
And my foot is killing me so I can't exercise for a bit, whine whine!
Well, posting here is good and a reminder to stay the course the rest of the day!!
Closed Thread