Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 280/276/164

Height: 5'1

Default Still regrouping

Hi everyone,

Had an okay day until the end (undone) by ice cream. First weigh-in down a pound. Ordered the newer Beck book from the library. Tomorrow rereading the first few chapters. Take care everyone.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:31 AM   #227  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

OP today, but overfull from dinner. I skipped afternoon snack then dinner tasted so good I took a bit more and it keeps expanding in my stomach.
I tried something new...Chicken Tamale Pizza. It came out a remarkably balanced meal (450 cal, 17g fat, 36g carb, 2g fiber, and 35g protein!). I milled popcorn for the crust. The recipe called for re-fried beans as the "sauce" then we topped it with chicken, onion, pepper and a bit of cheese. Tasty! Other than a quick errand today has been quiet.

May bee
I'll be curious to know which Beck book you like better. I've only read the pink one.

Woodland So good that planning works so well for you. I'd love to grow tomatoes, but gardening here is difficult. We had cucumbers, tomatoes, and greens when we lived in IN.

gardenerjoy
Hoping you enjoyed a "normal" and OP day.

onebyone I tried the drastic "eat 1/2 what I give the kiddos" and I was always shivering but ruined my metabolism and did not loose ANY weight. It is better to put a little more effort into planning/logging and analyzing what works to loose a pound or so a week...

Beachbody Kudos for removing junk from your intake. Waiting till Monday sounds wise. Wishing you an awesome weekend.

BillBlueEyes Hope your dw heals quickly and you are able to locate the necessary tool.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Wow, that is fast for selling your home! Wishing you a smooth sale/transition. Kudos for your planning.

Last edited by AZtricia; 06-29-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:40 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Happy Ramadan - Ramadan Mubarak

Coaches

Ate within proper boundaries of what and when but ate a bit much at lunch. I was hungry because waiting for groceries to be delivered (that contained food) and it arrived at 1:40 instead of before midday so a bit hungry waiting to get food. Ramadan starting today certainly raises the issue of hunger not being an emergency

I was going to do my taxes today - at least put receipts in piles. I did a little of that and ordering receipts from organisations etc but not enough. I would rather get my money from that as soon as possible - I deserve the interest more I think. Pottered in the garden putting it to bed for winter

I tend to check out the Weighty Matters blog once a week or so and saw that during the week Yoni Freedhoff had actually appeared on Australian TV - and about Dr Oz (and the ?senate committee hearings about the lack of regulation for supplements and snake oil salesmen etc). He also had a link to another TV clip labelled "I Was Going to Write a Dr. Oz Post but then I Saw this John Oliver Video" - very funny and worth a look

I am making Chicken Chilli Lime Soup again - good weather for it

BillBE - Your evening walks sound like a travelogue and make me want to get out there and look - that has to be good. Hope DW heals soon and the tool appears

Beachbody - sounds like a plan. Enjoy the weekend

Onebyone - like the new avatar - are they baby zucchini?? You have to watch the Dr Oz video. If only it were all true. There does seem to be the likelihood that obesity may be caused by a virus but by the time the prove it, test it, and develop a vacination for it I think it may be a little late - so put that in the realm of magic along with unicorn horns too I guess. Your answer seems sensible "I need to get back to measuring and weighing my food portions."

Gardenerjoy - yay for back to that comfortable place - normal.

Woodland - I am glad it feels like coming home to be back here. I didn't realise how agitated I got about the risk of not getting food - it is really enlightening. I like to grow tomatoes, herbs, kale, rocket and lettuce. I only have a small courtyard garden

May bee - Hang in there - hope the Beck book does its magic

Tricia - Gee - not following Dr Yoni's advice to eat your snacks and meals (I know - I was late with lunch and suffered). I imagine popcorn does expand after eating! Hadn't thought. Glad you had a quiet day

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Logged my food
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself
- Made a food plan for tomorrow - packed lunch
- Made a schedule for tomorrow - gym in the evening

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 06-29-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #229  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

A busy day yesterday....would have loved to spend the day -post trip relaxing but instead was off to HDepot by 6 and working on the rental all day. The new tenants move in tomorrow and I'm back at the restaurant today for my 3 in a row. My newly revised plan is on both my ipad and iphone and I was glad to be able to revisit it because after work my brain was not functioning at all. Dinner was smoked salmon, an oversized salad from our garden, a spoonful of cottage cheese and some sliced swiss. It hit the spot and we went to bed early.

I have a plan for today and I'm grateful to have planned ahead and made the stop at WhFoods as we returned from the airport. I have all the ingredients waiting for me.

Woodland, welcome back! It's been very cool up here and it's nice but some things I planted are slow to grow. We planted corn, purple potatoes, beets, kale, parsley and lettuces. Congrats on your new job, BTW, although it's probably not so new now.

onebyone, my take on any of the 2 week super weight loss plans are that they all do the trick...get rid of the water weight, get rid of cravings (via sugar elimination) BUT the secret to real weightloss is what happens afterward AND my best solution is to have a plan. I've done this long enough that I can weigh only the things I know I need to; grains, snacks, nuts and log other items such as #of crackers, #of breads per day but I have to do something. Eating 1/2 or 1/4 or 3/4 starts with a base; what exactly was I eating before...which then requires me to have some sort of written food inventory. Good you are noticing all your sabotaging thoughts and countering them with appropriate responses!

AZtricia, your pizza sounded good. Tonight I'm doing a pizza where I use a sprouted tortilla as the crust. I'll add veggie sausage, feta, olives, onions and sprinkle with Italian cheese blend. IT's crunchy and yummy...DH loves it AND it's easily accountable. Thanks for your input, "It is better to put a little more effort into planning/logging and analyzing what works to loose a pound or so a week...". That's what works best for me and the important part is consistency.

BBE, hope your DW recovers quickly! It was fun to see the different birds in Key West....lots of Egrets.

Beachbody, glad you have a plan for the weekend!

MAyBee, perhaps a special card for ice cream, especially if it's a trigger food. The pink book worked much better for me when I started now I use the green book...still referring back to the pink.

Cheryl(GosfordGirl), sorry your food came late. That's when canned salmon comes in handy for me....it's always stocked in the cupboard.

gardenerjoy, your comment about other things in excess (work etc) reminds me why I take such effort with my environment. I know that as I procrastinate with unpacking that my food choices are unsettled, too. Great you have a solution!

I've unpacked and need to stow the suitcases. I persisted with getting all my veggies cleaned and put away. My after work food plan will be smooth sailing. Credit.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #230  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Ramadan Begins

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Meals on plan included Bison on Thomas English muffins for breakfast, CREDIT moi. The Bison was left over from Bison steak dinner a few nights ago - an impulse choice by DW from Whole Foods. It's not obviously different from beef to my taste. Snacks still existed - but more bounded, CREDIT moi. Made a step of notable progress with the vent fan; the fourth side is screwed to a new header in the ceiling and it's now ready for the remainder to be screwed into the other new header that's been cut and in place. I got a tip on an opportunity to borrow the drill bit that I need instead of continuing my search of the universe to buy it.

Walked, CREDIT moi, with DW to see Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream performed in a park - like the famous Shakespeare in the Park in New York's Central Park, only local. Such a great play to feel relevant 400+ years later with the word 'a_s_s' still serving as a pun drawing laughter. Naturally, it was hammed up to included pausing to take a 'selfie' and group dancing. The smart crowd arrived before we did and had picnic spreads providing a mental diversion as I lusted after or scorned the choices around me.

onebyone – Yay for "IDEAL printmaking weather" that reminds us that the challenges of art include weather - just like farming. I'm a big fan of the notion of cutting all current foods by 1/4 (from The Step Diet as Joy (gardenerjoy) mentioned). I love the image of cutting a quarter out of a McDonald's hamburger to leave on the plate. Anything that removes the onus of monitoring one's food. (Something's starting its blossoms in your Avatar. What?)

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for an occasional normal day.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Thanks for the reminder that millions go all day without eating during Ramadan; our challenge to wait a couple of hours hardly compares. Couldn't stop laughing at your TV clip about Dr. Oz - both pointed and funny. Such a good reminder that Dr. Oz is peddling stuff that has no scientific backing.

Woodland - Thanks for the great Sabotaging Thought, "Without a plan, I'd eat plenty to be sure I'd not get hungry later" - planning counters so many attempts to deviate. Sugar snaps are my favorite garden item although the continuous stream of lettuce is high on the list. Until the tomatoes come in planted right next to be Basil.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Your "Chicken Tamale Pizza" has me drooling although I'm not clear about "I milled popcorn for the crust." Kudos for an on plan day.

Christie (Beachbody) - Waving back toward Massachusetts. Kudos for a year without eating "junk."

May bee - Congrats on that pound gone forever. Kudos for the on plan day until ice-cream - I'm fond of Beck's notion to give ourselves credit for what we achieved as well as noting where we didn't.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full

If you easily stop eating before you're overly full, you might only need to practice today's task once. On the other hand, if you struggle to stop eating before you've overeaten, you might need to continually work on this skill for several weeks.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 159.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #231  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Read posts yesterday but forgot to post. We went to brunch late morning but there was no brunch, only lunch. I didn't realize the spot I chose only had Sunday brunch. Oh, well, still a relaxing time with foggy rain while we ate, visited by many small moochy birds. Who always score with me, thereby reducing their life span from additional non-bird food.

Awoke to five texts from my sister, listing all that needs to be done following my mom's passing. I said split up the thank yous and I'll do a list. She gave me SIX and took back one. Whatever. I have my own that I'll be writing as well. Now she said she had 42 to do, etc. I fired off one in reply to one of hers and probably didn't word it the best. When it includes the words "that's just weird" I might not have been fully awake. Just checked and I had deleted that line. Good.

Food was not great yesterday - just too much. I had the asian chicken salad at Panera for dinner during errands and chose the baguette, Bill and intended on saving it for today, as I usually do .. but we were talking and I broke off just a piece. And another piece. And apparently once two pieces have been removed, you might as well just finish it because that's what I did. I ate what I wanted off it and tossed a small piece and then was overly full. DH said, but you just had a salad, that's all. I said the salad was 440 calories with protein, fat, etc. Oh.

This is my only day off/alone this month - DH works today but no other weekend day. I love him to death, but do like my alone time now and then. He gets it when I'm working, but I only get it if he's working the weekend.

Goal - rein in additional eating just because it's there and I want to/feel like it today. That only gets me higher numbers on the scale and a panicky feeling when I'm done eating.

FINALLY, after a few years, have fit into a white pencil skirt with a kick pleat that I love. Put it on for brunch yesterday and DH said, "Oh, I didn't know we were getting THAT dressed up." I took it off and announced, "Well, we're going to go out SOMEWHERE for a nice dinner, then." While I can fit into the dang thing. It looks 40s style and with a pair of nice heels, makes me feel pretty.

Last edited by nationalparker; 06-29-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #232  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi,

Today I'm hearing my sabotaging thoughts so loud and clear. They are upset that I'm countering them! Ha! Awareness is their downfall!

It's taking some time to organize my tracking environment. I'm using a spreadsheet on Google Drive, so I can see it on my laptop, iPad and iPhone. I'm taking time to look at all the recipes I use, and figure out their nutrition to plug into the spreadsheet. Time consuming, but so interesting to get real numbers around what I eat. I love it!

GosfordGirl: Your small garden sounds lovely. One question though - I'm not familiar with what 'rocket' is.

Lexxiss: I have purple potatoes too! Do you get potato beetles? I've been catching them recently but they aren't too bad.

BillBlueEyes: You must know the secret to picking the snaps at the right time. I leave them too long and get bitter ones. Love your comment about lusting/scorning neighbor foods.

nationalparker: I'm with you on the alone time. Now if I just had a place to store my dogs for awhile too!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #233  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Salmon for dinner and today will be OP. It is just too hot here! And dusty! So much dust in the air that you can not see the mountain ranges surrounding our town. There is hope of rain later in the week...looking forward to the arrival of monsoons.

Woodland
Kudos for awareness of your sabotaging thoughts - awesome that you are countering.

nationalparker Hurray for peace and quiet. Hope you enjoy a refreshing day.

BillBlueEyes Great that you were able to solve your tool dilemma by borrowing. Milled popcorn: I have a grain mill for converting whole grains into flour/meal and instead of using regular/field corn I just buy popcorn and use it for both grinding and popping. One less item to buy & store.

Debbie/Lexxiss Consistency is the key! Kudos for planning ahead on despite your busy schedule.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Taxes-yuck! I need to watch that video. It looked interesting but I have not taken the time yet. Your soup sounds delicious.

Last edited by AZtricia; 06-29-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #234  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up almost done

Coaches

I've been busy getting work done. It's good but for a Sunday I was going non stop after starting the day with a tense Skype conversation with my sister who is realizing her trip here is soon. Like a week from tomorrow but in another week she will have been gone a few days already. I think of her trip that way. Makes me know it's not a forever thing.

So today I had some major luck. I brought my very dead hardrive to the local computer store and by some miracle he saw my data on it and I bought a 2t external hard drive with the money I made for doing the gate and I paid for the labour with that money and will pay for the labour and shipping for the warrantied new monitor for my new laptop that died on me this morning. Thank goodness for that gate project! So ran around doing that today. Also went to get my mum's laundry today and there was nothing for me even though there were 2 things in the basket on Thursday ? Laundry was a big issue last week now it's not. Also dropped by the long term care with the short waiting list near my mom's to make an appointment to see it this week.I got a sneak peek but was told I had to call. Phooey. Came home to finish up my prints but didn't get to them. Exhausted and I was done.

Upstairs they're observing Ramadan. They are eating their major meal at 9pm then at midnight and then at 3am.She apologized in advance if her footsteps wake us up. They won't. Her son could have made good money landscaping but she was worried doing so much physical labour during Ramadan would not be a good thing. It all seems very complicated from the outside looking in, no doubt a lot of what I take for granted does to her as well.

I am teaching her what I know about gardening. We are sharing all the plants. I'm sort of guerrilla gardening is. just taking the spaces without explicit permission. We have 5 kinds of tomato. Cubanelle and sweet banana peppers swiss.chard both red and white. Watermelons cucumbers (pickling) and cucamelons (that's a cucamelon in my avatar), a zucchini. Cayenne peppers plus my lemon tree is finally starting to thrive but I don't think I'll get lemons.oh I also planted vidalia one onion bulbs. I think that's it. I do wish I had a cantaloupe. Most plants are in pots all over the place. It's an exciting adventure for me.

Foodwise doing OK. My foodplan is slowly taking shape again. Meanwhile I am saying no sometimes and my desire to change is returning once more. I am thrilled about that.

Have a good night. If this is full of typos it's cause I am typing on my phone. Bye for now.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #235  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Coaches

Had an on plan day - took food and ate only that. Have dinner cooking with hopefully something leftover to take for lunch (not good with imagining what to do with left over roast veggies for lunch). Apparently the contract was signed today and I sign tomorrow. Then we see if he sticks around.

I am running really late and have a lot to do before bed so will make it a quick check in - noted all your activities to maintain order in your lives to make staying on plan easier. It is weird that having a schedule and a plan or structure makes it so much more straightforward to stay the path. I try and sometimes succeed. [Woodland - rocket = arugula. I was speaking Australian sorry ]

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan
- Measured my food
- Logged my food
- I stopped eating when satisfied
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself
- Exercised - gym tonight and 10 minutes on the bike
- Made opportunities for incidental exercise - a bit - steps only about 6000
- Made a food plan for tomorrow
- Made a schedule for tomorrow

Take care coaches
Old 06-30-2014, 05:07 AM   #236  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - Ramadan Ends

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Made progress on the vent fan by finishing attaching it to the ceiling. Only one more this-is-the-very-last cut into the plaster ceiling was required to make it fit. No further work happens on it until the drill bit arrives via Amazon on Wednesday. Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, after an early bird walk watching all the fledgling birds bugging their parents for food.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, except for extra snacks - Ouch. Walked to our community garden to harvest a bag of mixed lettuce and two dozen Sugar Snaps. There're less than a dozen Sugar Snaps left on the vines which have begun to turn brown. Marble sized green tomatoes are visible.

onebyone – Yay for income from the gate project to support computer repair. Congrats for having a hard drive that failed with the data still recoverable. Love the notion of "guerrilla gardening."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Happy New Tenants Day. Ouch for waking up the folks at Home Depot at 6am, LOL.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Congrats on one more step forward in the process of selling your house. You've put your finger on the key, "It is weird that having a schedule and a plan or structure makes it so much more straightforward to stay the path."

Woodland - Kudos for making your Sabotaging Thoughts upset. Methinks you're spot on with "Awareness is their downfall!"

nationalparker – Congrats for having evolved a brain that censors "that's just weird" before pressing SEND on an email. Ouch for that d*rn baguette 'side dish' at Panera Bread - that's just weird.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Ouch for Arizona hot - we were already sweating in the low 80's here.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full

what are you thinking?
Are you feeling resistant about recognizing that you have to eat less? Then read the following sabotaging thoughts and create Response Cards based on the responses below.

Sabotaging Thought: I like feeling really, really full.
Helpful Response: I need to accept that this sensation is not what is considered normal. I'm really eating beyond fullness, which has contributed to my being overweight.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 160.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #237  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I'm determined to check in AND do my 5 min weight routine BEFORE I head to work this morning. I have 17 minutes AND I need to write a note to the new tenants in case they arrive before I get home. Credit.

Yesterday OP and I have a plan for today. Credit. I haven't decided exactly what will be for dinner because I need to check beet greens. They may need to be used today and in that case we'll do our eggs/black beans/beet greens/salad(fresh) and toast tonight. Otherwise, I may do something simpler. By writing a plan for a week and having all ingredients on hand I'm able to comfortably select when I get home from work.

I loved the humor as I read this morning. It's weird to have such great friends that I've never even met in the "real world". Thanks, all, for being here as we support one another "Beck style".
Old 06-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #238  
Green Tomatoes

We're eating lettuce and spinach from my garden, which thrills me because this is the first time I've successfully grown it from seed. The secret was seed tape. I think, before, I was washing away the tiny seeds. I'm also eating cress which I planted on a whim because it sounded English. I still haven't done the research to figure out, exactly, what one does with cress, but it's been adding a nice spiciness to our salads. We're still harvesting blueberries. I have some chard that's big enough to eat and another patch coming along that I put in after I ate the early radishes. I'm also starting to eat the herbs -- basil, oregano, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme (I make a pesto from the last four and call it Scarborough Fair pesto). Later in the season, I'll have tomatoes and eggplant. We're plotting out a bigger garden this summer so we can play with larger plants like melons and pumpkins in future years.

I discovered something unexpected in my data last week. My lowest calorie days were the ones when I was beating myself up because I ate an extra snack. It turned out, I was taking one larger snack and turning it into two tiny ones -- both together with fewer calories than the one snack. So, I'm going to play with that in a planned way this week. It violates some of Dr. Yoni's principles -- putting my afternoon eating incidents too close together and without enough protein. But I've been at this long enough now to claim the right of experimenting to see what works in my body.

WI: +0.85 kg, Exercise: +50 1350/1400 minutes for June, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: love the sound of your guerilla gardening and that you're using it to teach and share with your neighbor.

GosfordGirl: I like cold roast veggies on salad. I had that at a fancy restaurant first and decided that if they could make it work, so could I. Nice with a good vinaigrette. Roasted vegetable sweetness shines on a salad.

Lexxiss: This is one of the delights of my life: It's weird to have such great friends that I've never even met in the "real world".

Hi, to everyone else!
Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #239  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post
I'm also eating cress which I planted on a whim because it sounded English. I still haven't done the research to figure out, exactly, what one does with cress, but it's been adding a nice spiciness to our salads.
Egg and cress sandwiches are the classic. Hard-boiled eggs and a little mayonnaise or good butter (slightly salted) mashed together. Butter very thinly sliced bread. Spread the egg mixture on the slice of bread. Sprinkle with cress. Add other slice. Cut into small triangles. Arrange on a pretty plate or cake stand. Have with, say, Earl Grey tea or Darjeeling or something like that. Then have a small cake or slice of cake ... but we won't go there. Well, OK, Victoria sponge for preference.

Joy, feel free to ask me anything you like about 'England'!

to all.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #240  

S/C/G: 135/127/115

Height: 5'1"

Checking in. Sick over the weekend, but down 1 pound--surprise.

Today OP so far...
Closed Thread