Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #166  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Checking in now since I'm not sure there will be internet at the campsite.

We're back from the river run.we ended up in a raft with a man and his 3kids. It was OK the first two hours then I was considering just swimming the rest of the way. Or walking. Cause yes it was that shallow.

I will be sore tomorrow. There will be a lot of drinking around the campfire this evening and someone brought bongos. Bongos! Anyway we are just hanging around waiting for everyone to meet up then we are off for dinner.

I will bring all of you with me as I am not interested in being stuffed to the gills.

Credit for paddling down a river from11:30am to 4:10pm with two breaks in there
We were the first to arrive.

Bye for now.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #167  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Survived the day OP. Not the healthiest choices, but tomorrow is another day. I did have a pound gone this morning, hurray! Tired and still need to prep for tomorrow...so see y'all tomorrow and wishing you an AWESOME weekend.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:00 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Coaches

Last night unplanned popcorn - but not too bad overall. A lot of annoying little things to do today along with a strong desire to be doing something else. I made kimchi - I am hopeful that this is as successful as the recent sauerkraut. I do like kimchi. But now I have to wait about 8 weeks for it to ferment in the cupboard and then cure in the fridge. I think it is too warm here to do it at any other time than winter so let's see if this one is successful. Got urgent chores done in the garden, did some work work, and have yet to plan the food for the week (into meals anyway). Tonight I am having chicken salad - that is as far as I have gotten.

BillBE - your DW is very sensible but I just can't do it. Maybe if I had a family counting on me I would be better at organising food but it is too haphazard. I have bought sensible food but need to now allocate it sensibly to days etc! Credit that your normal healthy menu is just right for guests

Beachbody - Credit for organic leanings. Cancer tends to make one consider these things but for me I would be better focussing on weight loss and exercise! (linked with breast Ca). LOL at yoga kicking your butt. Everyone thinks it is relaxing - rubbish. I find yoga aerobic! Good ideas around exercise

Onebyone - Glad you survived the river - all sounds quite athletic so go you. Good that you are thinking about how you want to feel after food. And credit for all that paddling

Tricia - awesome weekend to you to. Hope you got everything all prepped

Credits
- Checked in
- Ate on plan - YES today - not last night
- Measured my food
- Logged my food
- Ate mindfully most of the time
- Ate sitting down
- Used distraction and resistance techniques
- Weighed myself - still up
- Steps - really low today - nearly 6,000
- Read my A&R cards
- Read my Beck book
- Made a food plan for tomorrow
- Made a schedule for tomorrow and the week
Old 06-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #169  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was looking for which birds were visible on the longest day of the year, CREDIT moi. Fun to see an American Redstart and three Orchard Orioles - both unusual to spot where we were walking. Spent most of the day climbing a ladder into my attic measuring to install a new bathroom vent fan. Challenged to invent a way of hanging the unit between unevenly spaced ceiling joists - nothing is easy in an old house.

Eating was OK - meals were on plan but snacking was off - Ouch. Wanted a snack before we went out birding since we wouldn't have dinner until 9:00 pm. Had a ripe peach in Greek yogurt - just heavenly, and a healthy choice.

onebyone – Kudos for paddling more than four hours down the river. Sounds idyllic. It's amazing that someone thinks that bongos will improve the quiet of a campfire.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – So jealous of your concert of The Magic Flute. On the Boston Esplanade last August, we heard selections from it in a free concert. Opera outdoors is ever more magic. Kudos for planning to let the young folk eat most of the tapas.

Cheryl (GosfordGirl) – Great start for the week ahead, "Made a schedule for tomorrow and the week" - Kudos. Good luck with the kimchi.

maryann - Kudos for recognizing all the crazy expectations that we stack on ourselves so unhelpfully. Yep, sushi can show up as four pounds the next morning - and then the body deals with the sodium.

Tricia (AZtricia) - On plan is always worthy of Kudos.

Christie (Beachbody) - Congrats on your encouraging checkup. Thanks for sharing some of your advantages; I, too, found it useful to add a few new ones as they occurred to me. I also sorted them frequently to keep the most important ones on top of the list as my vision changed. Kudos for marching forth and choosing your diet plans. My take is that doing personals isn't as important as posting status. It takes time for us to become visible as individuals.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full

Break the Connection
Do the following: . . .
  • If the answer is yes, tell yourself, Good, then I'm experiencing normal fullness.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 159.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-23-2014 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Baltimore => Orchard
Old 06-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #170  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

My last check in before we head to Florida tomorrow. I work today and we will pack when I come home. Our house/pet sitter arrives tomorrow at 830am and we are off. I will try and check in while I am gone. I have spent time thinking thorough my trip and will make the best choices whenever possible. Credit.

Food was off yesterday...not bad but could have done better. It's nice knowing I don't go off the charts these days but get up and make my smoothie and keep heading in my right direction. credit.

Good news-I got a tenant for our personal rental. I'll have 2 days upon our return to finish up and they will move in a week from Monday.

Take care everyone!
Old 06-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #171  
Green Tomatoes

The Magic Flute was as magical as one could hope. It was performed as if on a 1950s Hollywood sound stage, with lots of visual references to 1950s movie musicals. Fun!

I was so careful at supper that I was hungry when we got home! I had a small snack and declare it to be a good enough day for one that was so unusual.

WI: +0.1 kg, Exercise: +40 960/1400 minutes for June, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 06-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #172  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Good morning,

Hope everyone has a good day. I continue to fight the night eating monster who keeps telling me to eat salt/fat/sugar. Maybe I need to start going to bed at 8:00 or something.

Hope everyone has a great day. We are headed out for a boat ride- too cold to swim in the river yet but it is always great to get out and see the beautiful world.

Have a plan for today and determined to stick to it!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #173  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Returned home at 1 a.m. after delays - good to be back home with the pets. For the first time in recent memory, I did nothing to celebrate the summer solstice.

DH's folks came for an early dinner tonight and brought our pooch with them. We're together as a family now.

I want to say thank you to all for your support and positive thoughts and concern for me here lately. I have not done any personals and hope to commit more time to posting, even if just a few minutes in the morning regularly. Will start with a few and go from there.

Sister is still with Dad and I'll return in early July. I hope work is still understanding of my attempts to work remotely. Wll handle that as it comes.

Weight is 161.0 this morning and will move my ticker downward. I was 161.0 on their scale too and I'm takin' it.

Lexxiss - Safe and fun travels - enjoy your trip to Florida.

Bill - Thank you for your continued guidance on this thread. Your planning is admirable. I need to improve on that front.

Last edited by nationalparker; 06-23-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #174  
Healthy Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 260/ticker/...-1 more pound

Height: 5'6"

Mosquitoes got me at the park yesterday
itchy and today has not been a very good day. Bad food choices because I did not plan ahead and pack my own lunch/snack while not at home. I am done for the day, though and will be back OP tomorrow. Credit: logged everything to the best of my ability.

Cheryl/GosfordGirl Kudos for OP and all your great credits. Wow, 8 weeks is a long time to wait and see if your kimchi works.

BillBlueEyes Hope your fan project is completed to your satisfaction. Cool birds!

Debbie/Lexxiss Wishing you an awesome trip with great/healthy choices. Hurray for a new tenant.

gardenerjoy Glad you enjoyed your night out!

CeeJay
Dr Yani blames late night cravings on behavior earlier in the day...too late on breakfast, too long between meals/snacks, or too little protein. Have you tried comparing your schedules/meals on days you don't struggle with days that are difficult?

nationalparker
Welcome home! And puppy too! Kudos for your healthy eating leading to lower scale numbers.

Last edited by AZtricia; 06-22-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #175  

S/C/G: 280/276/164

Height: 5'1

Hi. First day in. Just wanted to post something to start the habit.
Take care!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #176  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Cool

Coaches. Hello.

DH managed to break his glasses at the campsite last night. I had 4rubberbands with me so I managed to get the lenses back into the frames by securing them with the bands. Credit. But it meant I was driving back and I had one heck of an uphill deeply rutted gravel road to just get out of the campsite. I couldn't wait to go. Many many many frustrations for one day of outdoorsyness...though seeing the morning mist on the water at 5am was a highlight and we could see it from our tent window. Hearing the water flowing by was also something that made up for the people aspect of it. Credit. I didn't overeat at the restaurant and I didn't have sweet campfire snacks but I did have wine. But not much, which was a great disappointment to the heavy drinker who kept trying to refill my glass as he told me about his "poisonous" wife. I was in bed fairly early. DH's work crowd is not a great fit for me.And sometimes it's good to know when to stop trying.

On the drive back I ate a sweet thing. I just bought it and had it. I keep not remembering that I am most vulnerable AFTER a stressful event. More than the anxiousness leading up to it. I get through it then eat. I need to figure that reaction out and what truly triggers it. Credit for not continuing that off track behaviour and for being OP since.

Wow. Exhausted. More tomorrow. Happy Summer or Winter evening to us all.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #177  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome May bee

May bee

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:46 AM   #178  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Spectacular summer day. Spent some time savoring the day reading a book on the patio, watching a Blue Jay noisily declaring that I was intruding on his territory. (Good grief! I reported yesterday that we'd seen Baltimore Orioles; we saw Orchard Orioles. Baltimore Orioles are fairly common here.) Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, snacks weren't - Ouch. I'm detecting a pattern here.

Exercise was upping and downing the ladder to the attic working the project to replace the third floor bathroom vent fan. CREDIT moi for tackling a project I've been procrastinating about. It appears to be a simple task, but the old house presents problems not covered in the instructions. One by one I've tackled them so that the end is in sight. Instead of my cardio walk, I drove to the house of my DS to borrow a tool to enlarge the hole. Cutting old plaster and lathe with a reciprocating saw creates the opportunity to release the plaster for a foot in every direction.

onebyone – Congrats for cleverly fixing your DH's glasses with four rubber bands. Kudos for surviving the tensions of a company affair where, like family, you don't get to choose who you're with. Love the image of the mist on the river.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Now I'm Double Jealous of your concert The Magic Flute - sounds really fun.

CeeJay - That Sabotaging Voice that "keeps telling me to eat salt/fat/sugar" is fairly common; it's so subtle that I think it's my own hunger talking, LOL. Kudos for having a plan for the day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving toward Key West as you fly over. Have a relaxing trip. Congrats for finding a tenant so quickly.

nationalparker – Yay for a pooch and a DH to welcome you home. Congrats for moving that ticker down a notch.

Tricia (AZtricia) - Ouch for Mosquitoes when you're trying to enjoy the park. Thanks for reminding us that planning ahead is the key to it all.

May bee - Kudos for jumping right in with a first post. Are you reading the Pink book or the Green book? Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18 Change your Definition of Full

Break the Connection
Do the following: . . .
  • If the answer is no, tell yourself, This is what overfullness feels like . . . It's not normal . . . At my next meal, I'm going to make sure I don't put too much food on my plate.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 159.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #179  

S/C/G: 180/164/115

Height: 5'0

I cant believe I didnt post yesterday. I wrote it but must not have hit "submit reply". lol Oh well, new day.

Yesterday I fit the food I eat (nothing processed, try to get organic, no dairy, little gluten) into the old Weight Watcher exchanges and did a pretty good job. credit. Today I begin the program and I will keep you posted. It looks like about half of what I normally eat. So there is the problem. lol. To anticipate being hungry, I took a trick from the many colonoscopy preps I have done in the last 18 months and made jello. Full sugar jello. 1/4 of the box is 80 optional calories and I will have it if I am "shaky hungry". Its my safety blanket for now. credit.

Yesterday was "eat sitting down" which is only a problem for me when Im BUSY and eating in the car. Will be conscious of that and avoid it.

Today is credit. Give yourself credit. While I find it easy to do that here when posting, I must admit I had an avalanche of defeating thoughts while reading it. Most of it was like "you wont have done enough for credit until you lose the weight". This will take work. I actually copied the page with her "sabotaging thought/helpful response" and am making response cards of all 4 of them. Change the thought, change the behavior and the feelings will change on their own. This I know.

Thank you all for being here and sharing your experience with me. its invaluable. Thank you for letting me not respond individually for now. While I want to, the focus is on getting started. I am reading all and will respond when I feel more sure of myself.

Last edited by Beachbody; 06-23-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #180  
Green Tomatoes

Tried eating to cure fatigue -- it still doesn't work. So hard to remember when I'm tired! Putting this on my response list: Eating does not cure fatigue, muscle aches, or frustration. Since those three seem to be the ails that my brain most wants to believe can be fixed with food.

WI: +0.4 kg, Exercise: +60 1020/1400 minutes for June, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, May_bee!

onebyone: what a great insight: "I keep not remembering that I am most vulnerable AFTER a stressful event." I think that may be true for me, too, but I never noticed. Maybe it would help to plan food and exercise for the day after ahead of time.
Closed Thread