Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Losetoall - I started with a 10% minigoal, and now I am working on my 2nd 10%. It's a good way to figure a short term goal, I think. I rounded up since I did not want to deal with percentage points!

Bill - I was so unbelievably cold on Tuesday and it is only November. I need to toughen up!!

maryann - I also struggle with going out a lot. Small choices really do add up, but take constant vigilance.

Going out tonight, don't know where I am eating. Story of my life!!

But, it should be totally worth it. I am heading to see if I can get half-price tickets to a show on Broadway that my daughter and I want to see - First Date. Zachary Levi from Chuck (he was also the voice of the guy in Tangled) is in it and it is only playing till January. If there are no tickets available (unlikely but still) we have a backup show. Even if we decide to try again another day, I will be in the city all day and will be eating out at least once. Somewhere. With my thin, healthy daughter who can eat anything....but makes up for it by eating sparingly much of the time. I am trying to learn that way of eating!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #107  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Brief check in - I'm working hard to stay on program despite scale going up/down/up/up ... DH is SICK. Hanging on for Friday evening. Desperately.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #108  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up thanks.

Coaches

Thanks to those of you who faithfully voted for me to win the mural competition. I did not place. I did, however, get my mayoral handshake and photo op. DH took the picture with our camera and he said, right before he snapped the picture, "OK say Rob Ford! (Toronto Mayor)" I thought I would die on the spot and the Markham Mayor just went OH! Geez No! But we laughed.
If you don't know who Rob Ford is, just google his name.

Foodwise the event was easy. Everything was super small and fairly fresh and light. I wasn't tempted too much either--too focused on the schmoozing. Got a couple of leads to things and so that was good.

Afterwards I headed to the gym and did my cardio for the day. Tough at night. It took little effort to bring my heartrate up to speed. I have to stay in my target heart rate zone as the BP meds artificially lower the rate I was told, and therefore I could easily overexert. So, in watching it now 7x, there is a fluctuation each time I go as to how "fit" I am and how much I can take before I am peaking too high. Kind of fascinating. I know that as my heart muscle and my lungs get into better condition (a true goal) I will be able to see those treadmill numbers climb without th eheart rate going with it. It will, and already is, an exciting experiment. With the weight machines I am already upping the weights and feel a tad smug *yes I do* that the weights have to always be adjusted a few bars higher when I come to a machine. I ma that much stronger than most in there, but people who carry a lot of weight ARE stronger. They just have to be. It's to maintain this strength though that I have as another goal--and to build on it.

I made it to the gym today as well for the weights and cardio workout and man, today was tough. i found it very hard to get through but I did it all. It just felt like I had to drag myself through it though. I've promised myself a class of some sort. In the morning they had yoga or Abs and Rock Bottoms. I wanted Zumba--which is on Saturday and Sunday. I may wait and do that--or do the reg cardio on the treadmill and then the Zumba the next day.
I've never done Zumba or even seen Zumba being done. I know it's latin dance-y type moves that are fun. I could use some fun that's for sure.

Food wise on track again today. *credit for all of the above* Looking forward to my movie double bill when I reach 261!

billbueeyes Everything you read about Mayor Rob Ford is true. His mother and his sister were interviewed and his mom insists his weight is his biggest problem... fat is really a bogey man in our culture. All that stuff can be found online with the google if you're curious...

Must get some rest. Have a great night.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 AM   #109  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - America Recycles Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the opening of a photography exhibit where I was surprised to meet five different people that I know and had a chance to chat with. I learned from one that Hinduism took vegetarianism from the Buddhists - who were founded hundreds of years later. And that Karma is an Indian word of great importance. Photographs that are printed 24"x24" in exacting detail require a good camera (he said trying to justify why his photos never look that good, LOL).

Eating was on plan throughout the day, CREDIT moi. The evening 'nibbles' were a bit more than planned as I kept talking and eating having a jolly good time. It was good cheeses, but just cheeses that I will see again with good crackers that I will see again. I did avoid the liquid calories. While people watching those stuffing their plates, I realized that I don't know how to tell the difference between artists, graduate students, and homeless.

onebyone – Sorry that you didn't win the social media manipulation contest; seems like a sorry way to judge art. Oh Well. LMAO at your DH saying "OK say Rob Ford!" whom I continue to follow with great interest to divert attention away from our own set of weird politicians. Kudos for "schmoozing" instead of eating your way through the event.

nationalparker – Ignore the scale - stay the path. Hope your DH gets well quickly; it's hard to do anything with a sick spouse.

sparks17First Date looks fun. Hope you got tickets. Congrats for spawning a "thin, healthy daughter who can eat anything." "Eating sparingly much of the time" sounds like a good plan. Have a good time in the City.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

The first step in this process is figuring out how much time you'll need for dieting - at least initially, until you're in the swing of things. If possible, sit down with your diet coach and take a look at the suggested meals and recipes on the diet you've chosen. Think about the food you'll need for meals and snacks. This is important if the food you planned to eat isn't readily available when you need it, you might opt for something else instead.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 97.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #110  
persist

Thumbs up All is Well.

Coaches

I'm home today waiting for my radiant heater to arrive! My studio may become a *working studio* next week! Going to make some plans for that today and over the weekend.

Exercise today will be the treadmill at the gym this evening. Official weigh-in is tomorrow. Need to eat homemade food today. Had on plan snacky things in bags yesterday and, again, the salt has me holding water. Oh well. I can do something about that. It's all temporary. Tomorrow morning I will try Zumba!

Everything is good. Three weeks until I am at Art Basel Miami Superduper excited for this! It is the fufillment of a dream to go there and the gift DH gave me for my birthday!!!

update: made it to the gym *credit*
called MIL and arranged to move extra stuff to her empty shed tomorrow *credit*
avoided all processed food today *credit*

Last edited by onebyone; 11-15-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Finished my work week off successfully. Glad to be off for the weekend. Successfully completed another "No Sweets at work" day. That is a big credit. Weight is under ticker.

I am going to have to strive and sneak in a few walks somehow. DH and I are going on a couples retreat in the mountains. The topic is improving communication which we can always use. Grandma is coming to babysit.I plan to make two smoothies - have one for breakfast and stick one in the hotel room's refrigerator for dinner. Then I can enjoy a nice lunch with DH. Tomorrow I will have to brave two meals out and be back home to my Vitamix for dinner.

I think Sparks hit on my new mantra. At my age and with my lifestyle I must "Eat sparingly most of the time." This is in HUGE contrast to the culture surrounding me. Does anybody use anything sparingly in America? I am seriously thinking of continuing my minimalist pursuits ( I follow Project 333 which is 33 pieces in a wardrobe for 3 months. Right now I am at 633 which constitutes tremendous progress for me.) Anyway the challenge is to declutter everyday in December. Donate one thing on Dec. 1st., Two things on Dec. 2nd, etc. . . to 31 things on New Year's Eve. In some math class one time I learned how to add it all up.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 11-15-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 180/164/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Two weeks in

Hi Coaches,

For the last seven days:
  • I stuck to my diet - and have now reached my first mini-goal – credit.
  • I hadn’t really got the idea of ARCs. Now that I have, writing them - credit.
  • I ate every meal sitting down – credit - and will practise focusing more closely on every bite.
  • I gave myself credit when I engaged in helpful dieting behaviours – credit. I’ll practise doing so more often and closer to the event instead of at the end of the day when I’ve forgotten some.
  • I did planned exercise on most days – credit. In future, I’ll exercise indoors when the weather is too forbidding.
  • I've enjoyed reading this thread every day.

Thanks to you all

Mike

Last edited by MikeB; 11-15-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

First up - hello and welcome to the new folks LosetoAll and Mike B!

Going OK here. Have been having stressful stuff going down in my personal life plus a fairly full on time work wise so health and diet has not been getting as much attention as it should (and posting here has been non-existent) for a little while. I am treating it a bit like a holding pattern though - if I get through this patch without weight gain and achieving some of my exercise and well-being tasks each day I will be OK because I know that the load will be lightening in a few weeks and then I can put myself back into "full speed ahead". My weight was down slightly again at last week's weigh in (after a gain the week before) so apparently the holding pattern is working ok.

Next week I am having a 5 day holiday at the beach with my family to celebrate my 40th birthday which I am looking forward to soooo much. I will have to work most of the weekend to be able to take time off at this time of year - but it will be well worth it. Planning to switch all my email off for the 5 days so I can escape from all the drama that life currently brings. I am so pleased to be turning 40 in so much better health than I was 6 months ago. (Credit :-))

Haven't been able to do more than skim the posts so hope you are all travelling OK.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #114  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday was a tough day. I felt like eating and did not care to practice *much* resistance. I did, however, have credit worthy moments. I did throw out the remaining doritos which I snacked on in the car. I did not buy donuts. I did not eat fast food. I did have my morning smoothie. I did stop before I'd eaten everything that was to be had. Credit for some sense of moderation.
I am better today. I am glad to be back home. I recognize that while I am amidst these many projects that traveling w/DD and baby on my precious days off is just too much. I enjoyed spending time with them but needed some recovery time for me. I'm grateful to be able to understand that.
I have followed my plan today. I have made a plan for the next 3 days, especially for when I am at the restaurant.
The scale was up today but I know that getting right back on track brings it right back down. credit.

Take care everyone! It has been a very long day and I need to go down and cook dinner.

Mike, nice list of credits for your first 2 weeks!

everyone else!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #115  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Off plan dinner yesterday, and after dinner snackage today. I'm posting to give myself credit for posting--it helps me get back on track.

Tomorrow is another day!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,
Quite a lot off track today. I did go for a bike ride though so credit for that. And credit for not just doing the bare minimum bike ride either. Credit for posting too.
I think tomorrow's goal will be to do all my eating sitting down. I have been slacking off on that and I think it helps keep me on track.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #117  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

It was really bright when I went outside this morning....checked and full moon is tomorrow! I have a plan for today! credit.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Well, I did see the show. A lot of fun! I ate off plan that day, but I still kept track. I had exactly what I wanted for lunch - eggplant rollatini, salad, string beans and gelato. So at dinner, even though we were in a nice place with a great-looking prix fixe menu, I only ordered a sandwich and then left most of the bread. I wanted to have dessert - pecan pie! - but I just....well, I have changed. The thought of eating more than I needed to just because it was delicious - can't think that way any more.

Then last night my husband took me out to dinner...and I had a wrap and a salad. And sangria. A lot of calories (sangria is a killer!), but again, nor stuffing myself.

I did stuff myself at lunch yesterday, as I had gone to the pool in the morning then ran some errands. I was so hungry when I got home....eating between 11-7 does not work well when I exercise before 11! Plus it set me back the whole day. Note to self - don't go to the pool in the morning without a better plan.

maryann - hope you are having a great time at your retreat!

MikeB - great job!!!

Formygirls - Happy Birthday!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #119  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The first walk, CREDIT moi, stopped at Trader Joe's to stock up on nuts and dried fruits for the approaching cold days. I think of myself as a pioneer out on the prairie getting the root cellar stocked for the duration. The second walk, CREDIT moi, took me to a concert where I learned that music by Antonio Salieri is quite wonderful. Turns out that I, like many others, was hoodwinked by the Hollywood movie Amadeus that left me believing that only Mozart's music was grand. My apologies to the descendants of Mr. Salieri.

Evening snack was skipped, CREDIT moi, since we were out. Super busy is a good way to stay the path.

onebyone – Happy Zumba day! Kudos for a day without processed foods.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super Kudos for recognizing that you need "some recovery time for me" - recognition is the hard first step.

maryann - Hope your retreat is going well. Bringing a smoothie to store in the hotel fridge is dedication.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Here's to that great psychiatrist, Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day!" Kudos for giving yourself credit for the small steps to get back on track.

ForMyGirls - Kudos for approaching 40 in improved health. Ouch for stressful stuff coming down. May you enjoy those five days out of the ether.

MikeB - Congrats for reaching your first mini-goal with Kudos for getting on-board with your Advantages Response Card. Do you care to share some of them with us?

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

Figure out how much time it will take in you day and week to:
  • Plan your meals.
  • Shop for food you'll need.
  • Prepare your meals.
  • Sit down and eat your meals slowly.
  • Exercise.
  • Complete and check off the tasks on your daily to do lists.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 98.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #120  
persist

Default quick stop

Coaches

I think our heating isn't working right in my apt. It says 19C--seems to me it should be 23C--maybe it's timed to go on later? Anyway, I'm feeling chilly.

So, official weigh-in day. I had high hopes esp. since I did cardio late last night at the gym but saw a 0.1lb gain on the scale. Man. Bodies. They just do whatever independent of our brains. Sheesh. The lady weighing me said "gee, that's like half a pee." Thanks, and yep, you're right. So I can't get my pat on the back from the scale this week. It will have to come some other way.

I brought my heater to the studio (maybe should have left it here ) and plugged it in. Nice. But really needs to be securely mounted to the ceiling. Will get to that on Monday. I removed stuff to MIL's outdoor shed. Nice. It's gone. It's free. and it's still got room for more--so long as the stuff can freeze or get water on it, or is protected from water (rubbermaid bins!). Our bikes are going in there next and not sure what else. But that stuff that seemed like sooooooo much in my studio takes no space in the shed. I could make things in there.

Food was challenging today. I did not choose well, but have tracked and it's ok. Oh well.

Ok gonna get under covers and catch up on Survivor episodes. Have a splendid evening everyone.

Last edited by onebyone; 11-16-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Closed Thread