Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #226  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Dinner was as planned. I had one more brownie than planned--and then stopped. I had a late night snack (not very big) of leftovers.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving--and ate according to plan.

Tomorrow is unplanned for me--I don't know where we'll be eating--but I'll read my cards in the morning and prepare to make good choices wherever we end up eating.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #227  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Black Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Successful Thanksgiving day, CREDIT moi. I planned and ate on my special occasion schedule that allows dessert. I only had one plate of food, mostly veggies, despite guests going for seconds. One guest noted with excitement that the buffet had nothing mashed and nothing with marshmallows on top, LOL. Good mix of family and friends. When we finished dishes around 8pm, I allowed myself my normal evening snack of some grapes because I was indeed ready for food - the single meal that served as both lunch and dinner was less food than I'd normally have eaten in two meals.

Only exercise was running around trying to make the house look like nobody lived here, LOL. And washing dishes; DW and I work together well in cleanup mode. I slipped out of the fun at the end of dinner for the first pass of cleaning the kitchen so there'd be room to bring in the dinner plates. That made the session after dinner much easier.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Oh my, a nephew in wine sales and fancy cheeses. This could be a challenge. A "No" list sounds like a sane way to face an unknown dinner spread.

CeeJay - Yep, Kudos for regrouping when regrouping is what's needed.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – What a super role, "my streak of eating less than anyone else at the gathering."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Certainly you can check in more than once.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – I'm flexible. Neat idea to have different stacks of cards to keep them from getting stale. Kudos for "Dinner was as planned." Nothing tastes as good as Thanksgiving leftovers.

MikeB - Yay for the joy of “Clown Trousers” to remember where we've been.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

what are you thinking?
If you have difficulty implementing the necessary changes in your schedule, you might have some preconceived ideas that are getting your way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 105.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

We are up to 24 points. Yay us. Wonder if we'll make 30 points by the end of the weekend.

Great to hear of so many positive on plan Thanksgiving meals.

Some credits for me: for staying on plan today despite it being one of those inextricably hungry days; for facing my anxiety about a challenging work task today rather than trying to work over the top of it; for getting through the week without adding some extra indulgence serves (because I used them all up at the beginning of the week while on holidays) - the new week starts tomorrow :-)
Old 11-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #229  
Ilene the Bean

I can add 3 to our points I haven't been posting but I have eaten clean for 3 out of 4 days and exercised too. I will be exercising tonight also, is that a point in itself? or do we have to have 100% clean eating and exercise to have a point?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #230  
Green Tomatoes

My 100%OP Day makes my streak count = 4.

I did eat a tiny amount of stuffing with dinner but I'm counting that on-plan under the nephew-exception. It wasn't our normal stuffing -- the nephew must have decided that wasn't good enough either. So, he made a stuffing in the crockpot with lots of veggies and not too much salt. Every bit as good as mine, but I kept my serving to just a taste. I filled my dinner plate with salad and put everything else on my salad plate. That made it easy to keep the portions as small as I intended. No seconds. Split dessert with DH and we still left some crust behind.

Oh, and I got in the 55 minutes of exercise that I needed if I'm going to meet my goal this month. It was a late night session of dance and stretching. Unusual but it worked. And, I slept good!

WI: +0.1 kg, Exercise: +55 1290/1400 minutes for November, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Ilene: You get to choose your own goals and how you want to count them. So, if you want to keep track of two streaks you could have one for clean eating and one for exercise.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #231  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenerjoy View Post

Ilene: You get to choose your own goals and how you want to count them. So, if you want to keep track of two streaks you could have one for clean eating and one for exercise.
That's good to know... If all goes well today then I will have 2 points... Clean eating and a TRX workout ...
Old 11-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #232  
Simply Filling Technique

Thumbs up Day 11 and Day 12: Hunger/Desire & Cravings: Tolerating Hunger

Day 11: Differentiating between Hunger, Desire & Cravings and Day 12: Developing Hunger Tolerance.

Since I need to get regular spaced out meals for my diabetes, I will not be doing the hunger experiment. I see that Dr. Beck does mention this not being a requirement if you are diabetic and since I did it before when I went through this book the first time, I will pass this time. I have already been experiencing weak and shaking extremities this past week if I do not adequately eat before working out so I assumed I would have that or a worse experience fasting. "Enough said" on that.

I will say that this is a lesson that took me quite a while in the past to really get down but I finally did pass both. I routinely practice hunger tolerance whenever faced with a situation where food is not readily available but I am hungry. I always have my glucose tablets within reach if I need to use them. I have only done that once. When my Mom was alive, she "forgot" to eat lunch before coming to visit, didn't tell any of us and then we all went to a local indoor shopping mall. We got separated. In the meantime, she went into a low blood sugar episode where she 'spaced out'. After not being able to find her on our own; I had to contact the mall "security". They searched every store (this was over 200+) and they found her. She did not know who she was or who we were. Considering the physical description that I gave would have "covered" every senior citizen in the place, I really admired how the "security" found her so quickly.

The brain uses glucose as energy so the first sign of really low blood glucose is you lose your cognitive reasoning and you even have difficulty putting together sentences. In the past year or so, since I really ramped up my working out to assist in losing weight, I really have to carefully monitor my blood glucose so I don't have this happen. It is recommended that you take your blood right after working out. I used to but when I prepare beforehand, I don't experience the muscle weakness as much.

I tell all of you this so that you will know how serious diabetes is as an "acquired" lifestyle disease. Granted, I have a family history on both sides but my obesity for so long was not helpful either. Now, that I am 60, I am well aware that I may never lose that "impairment" irregardless of what I weigh. However, it is my hope that I will not have to resort to Metformin nor insulin shots either.

Thanksgiving Day: three words. I DID IT! It is the first time in all of my memories of not having pumpkin pie nor any pie and not even missing it. I had turkey, pre-measured mashed potatoes and gravy and lots and lots of vegetables. That's it.

ForMyGirls: I have been OP with my food and calorie ranges since Monday as well as exercising every day also so I have 8 points thus far. 2 for each day of "abstinence" for this streak challenge. I even did 30 minutes of cardio last night while my DH was watching old Andy Griffith reruns.

For everyone else who is participating (BBE, I hope you are too with your great streak you have going), Great Job ALL!! Keep up the good work!

MikeB I love the idea of "Clown Trousers". Are you going to save them or have you already tossed them? I have made it a ritual of tossing all of my bigger-sized clothes as I go down the scales. I hope you treat yourself to some new "threads" as you are losing weight. I feel this is so "key" to keeping off the weight, IMHO.

I saw a couple on Dr. Oz a few years ago who claim that one of their secrets of keeping their 150 lbs weight loss each OFF was to have no former large sizes in the closet. I have followed their advice and as soon as I drop 20 lbs out they go unless they can be successfully altered.

This past fall as I was switching out the warm weather clothes for the cooler weather ones, I tried on each and every piece in my closet. The only clothes that stayed were those which fit. This was a first for me and I can say now that I do not have to go through the anxiety now of "what fits and what do I wear?" simultaneously. I know that everything I own does fit. It is a liberating feeling.

I know that there is a Day that Dr. Beck devotes to rewarding yourself with a non-food reward for each 5 lbs lost. Well, I took that "advice" and ran with it, since I don't need much prodding to buy clothes, jewelry, make-up or shoes.
Even though I am far from my end goal weight I still feel so much better in my own skin today than I have in years. Working out really helps in that way as well as some well-chosen pieces of clothing. It builds my self-confidence socially and self-esteem; which, IMHO, I feel is at the core of Dr. Beck's message: it is not just about losing weight but rebuilding a new and better version of ourselves.

If I have learned anything about this whole process it is that losing the "fat head"(read:mindset) that goes along with the fat body is actually the most important part to lose. Otherwise, you will be stuck where you are at "indefinitely" until you figure it out.

Yesterday proved to me that I can "do it" even during the holidays. I felt so empowered as a result. I hear that from you all as well. Credit all of us for doing such a great job! Party hats for all today!

Take care, Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 11-29-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #233  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

The last days have felt like a hurricane. Dh and I were in a terrible fight and reconciled for Thanksgiving all amid several gatherings (which are anxiety provoking just by themselves.) I was up early this morning prepping for a baby shower and have not sat until just this moment. One last event and I am clear until next Wed for special food events.

So food was much better than normal but not ideal. I had a smoothie this morning, brunch lunch, one extra piece of sweet bread, and the plan for a smoothie tonite without eating anything at my BIL. That is as much as i can hope for. I am so close to my under 150 at 50 goal, I don't want to get derailed for another whole day.

Lingering sadness over the conflict with DH. It is what it is. Best to all

Last edited by maryann; 11-29-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #234  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Counting today as another day on track for me - so far, so good. I am thankful that I'm able to report this here!

Despite being home all day and working off/on so far, I've not been into snacking. Weighed this morning for some mean reason (after breakfast, no less) - just to "SEE" ... and was down another half pound so will just see what it is tomorrow. Late work night tonight, and I'm committing to making several cups of hot tea if need be, to steer clear of snacks. Typically I don't have time to snack much then, so keeping on the straight and narrow by committing to it to you folks.

Mom is still in hospital. No news yet, and I remain worried, but thankful that I'm getting there in about a week.

DH is tackling a project that started out easy but has turned into a major one with the outlook of "I'm going to have to cut into that wall" ... and now he's prepping for that. I keep coming up with other options but as a non-handyman, they're not viable. credit to him, though, he listens to see if any might work. Every now and then I hit upon a side way of coming at an issue that actually works. Startles us both!

Maryann - Sorry to hear about the disagreement with DH - that is always unsettling and takes a while to be forgotten or smoothed over. Remind us again when your target date is for under 150 at 50?

Credits abound to everyone - well done!!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #235  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Change of tactics

Evening coaches

I feel for and with you CeeJay - I too am struggling. I am struggling to maintain commitment with competing demands - but I don't think any of the demands are as important as this. I have decided at this stage not to respond to everyone because the time involved stops me from checking in. So while I read all the posts gratefully, until I am on track fully I will try to check in and be accountable. I have been somewhat on plan but as I am having difficulty with posting daily I need to structure my daily accountability. I need to weigh every day and declare the changes (scary) - compared to the tracker (which I will change weekly) and the day before. I will also track eating on plan, and exercise which at the moment is 5000 steps. I am not loosing weight which is weird so I must be doing something I am not paying attention to. So consequently last night I got take away because I was sad and mad. Thought it was fairly sensible but I gained 2 lb today so not that good!

I have been walking my 5000 or more steps per day and am noticing improvements in stamina. I haven't walked any stairs today. Have not been rigorous with keeping moving and incidental activity

Progress
Weight
+ 2 lb (day) / + 4 lb (tracker)
Steps
6150/5000
Food
Had a plan and have so far followed it. Plan to eat dinner, then close the kitchen, and find something else to focus on
Logged food in MFP and the numbers add up
Old 11-30-2013, 04:44 AM   #236  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Yay team streakers - we are on 36 points!!!!

Credit to me for 6 days of 100% OP. It is a really long time since I achieved that. Noticed a cool thing today - have been soooo hungry / intensely craving "stuff" for 4 or 5 days and this afternoon it just disappeared. Hopefully that means my body has accepted that this is how it is and is going to stop fighting me for a while :-)
Old 11-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #237  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Tenth day in a row on plan, CREDIT moi, including ignoring FREE cookies at Home Depot, of all places. Home Depot welcomed all Black Friday customers with a table of coffee, large bakery cookies, apples, and oranges. I soooooooo wanted a FREE cookie, but couldn't stand the thought that I'd eating sanely at a joyous Thanksgiving celebration only to fall for an oatmeal raisin cookie. So, thought I'd just take the coffee. Then noticed that the only 'whitener' offered was the powdered kind with trans-fat. I've become very leery of trans-fat, even in small quantities. So, given that it was time for my lunch, I declared an apple to be the first course of my lunch and ate that while I shopped. After checkout I had to ignore their attempt to give me a FREE bag of Cheetos; never before has Home Depot offered me food and I won!

I was out on Black Friday because our beloved Maytag washing machine had died - essentially of old age. It had given well beyond any expectations. The time had come. The upside was to have died just before Black Friday. Home Depot was almost empty of customers - quite a surprise. I chose the identical washer and dryer that my DS and his GF had researched a year ago; got it at Black Friday prices; then applied for a Home Depot credit card for an additional 10% off. Free delivery and take away of the old machines was included. Picked up some packages of 24 batteries for $3.80 for stocking stuffers. Later I picked up some 32 giga-byte thumb drives for $7.99 at a nearly customer-less Radio Shack, also for stocking stuffers. For my lifetime first outing on Black Friday, it was a roaring success.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Gotta love "the nephew-exception." Thanksgiving with no seconds, split dessert, and crust left behind is Kudos worthy.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Ouch for those two pounds of salt induced water weight in take-away - hard to fathom how they can stuff it in there. Kudos for keeping the faith when the scale isn't going your way; best we can do is keep to our path and let the scale find us it its own good time.

Pam (pamaga) – Yep, Beck is real clear that the hunger experiment isn't for folks tending their sugar level. Kudos for "pre-measured mashed potatoes" - it's those open-ended servings that tend to cause problems. Thanks for, losing the "fat head."

maryann - Ouch for the "hurricane" part of emotional closeness. Kudos for sanely passing through.

nationalparker – Shuddering at "I'm going to have to cut into that wall" - that's never good. Love the notion of a second mind finding a better way to solve a problem.

ForMyGirls - Yay for on-plan despite an "inextricably hungry day." Neat that the craving just disappeared - probably got tired of being ignored, LOL.

Ilene - Kudos for "Clean eating and a TRX workout."

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

what are you thinking?
Ann, for example, has a rule: I shouldn't do anything that inconveniences others. Therefore, she didn't even think of asking her husband to take over the grocery shopping, her mother to watch the kids so Ann could go to her support group, or her best friend to work with her on a community project.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 105.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #238  
Green Tomatoes

My 100%OP Day makes my streak count = 5.

Today is tricky to plan -- I'm going out with a girlfriend for Small Business Saturday. I don't think we'll eat because we're meeting at 2pm and because we usually don't. But it makes the timing of my normal snacks odd. So, I planned the best I could and we will see how it goes.

WI: -0.6 kg, Exercise: +55 1345/1400 minutes for November, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: congrats on such a successful Black Friday outing. I ended up at a grocery store and drugstore for necessary items and they were empty, too. But I didn't notice any bargains. I like the idea of batteries and thumb drives for stocking stuffers.

Sending supportive thoughts to CeeJay, seadwaters, maryann, onebyone, and anyone else who needs them.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #239  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Up until 2 a.m. working job stuff, and credit to me that I didn't snack through it. Scale is 171.6 this morning and I'm gunning for under 170 (yes, AGAIN) in two weeks. Or tomorrow but I'd better be more realisitc.

Seadwaters - I know what you mean; but please don't feel compelled to include everyone on notes. That is SO HARD for me to not do, but when I want to do that, I skip checking in. Especially now that we've got a full group with lots of checking in, which I love. I gain insights from others' challenges and solutions.

Last night instead of leftovers (which will be on the table tonight), I offered the suggestion of the local pizza place to go - their pizza is non-greasy and light and so inexpensive that I know they'll be out of business soon. For the third time... they keep regrouping and reopening in the same little strip mall. Anyway, DH said we have frozen Trader Joe's pizza, let's do that. WIN - the calorie count is exact - well, you know what i mean - easier to track. I ate my portion with a good salad, and was satisfied. This is a pizza that, at 900 calories or so for the whole pie, I used to eat through the whole day - it was brunch and lunner - with salads

Need new ARCs that I actually USE. Goal for this weekend is to put more thought into it and make viable ones for taking home with me this week. Stress is not an excuse to eat.

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-30-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #240  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Calm after the storm this morning. I had hoped yesterday evening would be better but I still had some final family upheaval and the LAST dinner of the holidays. Food was not ideal and I actually binge ate a final piece of pumpkin pie at 9:00 pm just to punish myself for all the feelings I was having and for not being perfect. It has been a long time since I used food as a punishment.

So this morning I am practicing gratitude. I am grateful I have a new day and that I know how to live a different life of peace with food. Credit Beck for counting food sanity the minute I stopped last night so I have 12 hours of OP this morning. Credit the honesty I have with DH and the plan to take it really easy with no special food for the rest of the weekend. Credit for checking in here.

Weight is at ticker. Pilates planned and I still have my goal of under 150 at 50 by December 20th. It is still in my sights - three pounds in three weeks.

seadwaters: Whatever you want to post helps everyone because it is honest. That is all that matters. Honesty matters more than personals in my book.
BBE: You are the only one I knew who brave Black Friday. Congrats on the deals.
Gardenerjoy: Credit for participating in small business Sat.
Nationalparker and FormyGirls:Congrats on all the healthy choices.

Last edited by maryann; 11-30-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Closed Thread