Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #151  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - Children's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Some rational thinking finally set in about the broken Maytag washer. There's little gain for me in making it last a few months longer. It's been used at least 20 years; that's a lot of washes. Some chunks have been noticed falling off from unknown places. Let it go. Since there'll be a brouhaha making a path to the back of the basement, it's wise to consider replacing the dryer. It's just as old - perhaps older. And we've done some jerry-rig repairs on it to keep it going. So I'll replace both. Perhaps I'll buy from Sears since they have a good policy of quickly replacing a machine delivered with dents or broken features. DS and his GF just bought a pair; they studied the options to death. I'll just duplicate their choice. Thanks for all the comments.

Didn't eat about it, CREDIT moi. Didn't do much exercise either, though. I've got plenty planned for today, including walking to the dentist. Moonbeam was on the kitchen floor this morning. I'm a happy man.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Pre-selecting before going to a restaurant is such a good plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Such a neat NSV to be able to crawl back to that furnace.

Cheryl (seadwaters) – Neat strategy, "I closed the kitchen last night." Kudos for the written goals for today.

Pam (pamaga) – Bon Voyage on Becks Day 1. Super news that the "skills" have "stuck." Improved health as #1 seems to be common with a lot of us.

maryann - Yay for a day at Starbucks without falling for their scones and whatnots. Hope doctor's appointment went well.

ForMyGirls - Love reading, "how "in the moment" my life is right now" - Kudos for getting yourself there. Jealous of your mangoes and watermelons.

MikeB - Recognizing "Unrealistic Expectations" is so grounding. Yep, the "longer haul" is where most of us head.

LoseToAll - This is a big deal, "I did stop myself" - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
day 8 Create Time and Energy

How to Find More Time
Now, I'd like you to get your calendar, appointment book, or PDA. If you don't have any of these, use My Scheduling Chart (page 101). When you fill it out, it should look like the one on page 100 that was created by Marie, a single mom. Fill in one chart for a typical weekday and another for a typical weekend or nonwork day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 99.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 11-21-2013 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #152  
Green Tomatoes

My food plan changed a couple of times yesterday, but went reasonably well including eating exactly what I planned ahead of time at the restaurant for lunch. And, I left behind the fried strips of something (?) that always seem to show up in Asian-themed salads whether the menu states that they will be included or not.

Today, I'm aiming for 100% on plan. Then I'll really know I'm back in the swing of things.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +50 910/1400 minutes for November, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

MikeB: I eat by the clock (although standard diet advice, including from Beck, will say not to do that). It's less stressful to me than trying to figure out whether or not I'm hungry when hunger seems to have little to do with my desire to eat. I suspect I contributed to the breaking of my hunger instinct, but I also blame our modern food culture (especially marketing by Big Food) that advocates eating any time, any place.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Default Checking in...

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I wanted to check in, because I have been feeling very ungrounded lately. I have created a less than stellar "What the ****, I'll deal with healthy eating later" attitude. So, I am snapping out of it right now and stopping putting off eating a healthy diet. There. DONE!

I still have not finished nor defended or deposited my dissertation. I spent over a month making a single figure. Ugh! I dealt with the fallout of my less than supportive mother being "disappointed" for the delay again. This may be linked to my poor eating lately, so I am sharing to get rid of the burden. THANKS!

BillBlueEyes, first of all, I am grateful that "THE ROCK" is still here leading the group. Thank you! Happy washer and dryer shopping! I've had good luck finding pieces at the Sears outlet, if you don't mind a small scratch or dent. Their discounts are pretty substantial given how little damage there usually is.

GardenerJoy, I hope the 100% went well for you. I was happy to see you post on a day I happened to be checking in.

SeadWaters, great planning! And, great job on the steps and the stairs. That is fantastic.

The essentials:
I read my Advantages Response Card at least twice today. - just once so far
I read other Response Cards as needed. -not yet
I ate slowly, sitting down, and noticing every bite. - we had the TV on at breakfast, so did not have full attention to food. I plan to at lunch.
I gave myself credit for engaging in helpful eating behaviors. -not yet
I did spontaneous exercise. not yet
I did planned exercise. none planned
I monitored everything I ate today in wiriting right after I ate it. yes
I wrote out a new food plan for tomorrow. -not yet
I weighed myself and recorded my weight. -yes
Old 11-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #154  
Simply Filling Technique

Thumbs up Day Two: Choosing A Food Plan (or two)

Again, hello all! I am C/P all of your posts (while I am relearning both names and personal histories) to have by my side as I type my posts and responses. If I have missed someone, please be patient with me. Thank you ahead of time!

Day Two: Choose a Food Plan (with back-up). Well, when I first joined this group before (again I am terrible with years so I am not sure if it was 2011 or 2012), I was following one plan provided by another paid site that I had been a member with. It seemed to work well. I don't recall any real problems following that. However, this past year, I had a food sponsor (whom I sent my food plan every day at the end of the day) for 5 1/2 months so when she went to yet another site, I joined her and stayed there for 6 months. The benefit that I derived from that site was that they had "official" food/exercise short-term challenges; which I participated in three this past summer.

That brings me to the food plan that I will be following "moving forward". While on that site, I joined an 8 week "Diabetes Weight Loss" Challenge. To digress, I discovered that I was pre-diabetic in January 2011. For those who do not know what the difference is between that and being diabetic: it is basically "number crunching". It is all about the numbers of your fasting blood glucose-FBG- (upon rising with an average of 8 hours without any food or drink with calories in).Diabetics FBG are 130 mg/dl + in one droplet of blood pricked from a finger. Pre-diabetics FBG ranges from 100-129 mg/dl. When I follow the above food plan I have seen mine range from 103-107 on "good days". Otherwise, my "average" is around 116-117 mg/dl. Normal FBG is 70-90 mg/dl, just to give you all a point of reference. Pre-diabetics are considered having "impaired" blood glucose regulation. According to conventional medical belief, those people who are pre-diabetic will have full-blown diabetes within 10 years. Since, I suspected it 18 months prior to when it was confirmed, I figure that I have about 5 1/2-6 years to do what I can through weight loss and exercise.

This food plan consists of five small meals (called 3 meals and 2 snacks by the R.D.-registered dietician-but I feel they end up feeling like all snacks) with a careful balance between carbs/fats/proteins. Conventional wisdom within the diabetic medical community is to aim for 40-60 grams of carbs per meal and 20-30 grams of carbs per "snack". The "experts" currently say that eating for diabetes is no different than eating healthy. Also, they both encourage a variety of foods eaten as well as an occasional planned
"treat". One "rule of thumb" when eating a "sweet treat" is to wait 2 hours after your last meal, test your blood and then have no more than 70 grams of carbs. The "goal" is to keep your blood glucose stable: no extremes of ups or downs. For the first time, this past summer, I have had to have a planned snack either prior to or immediately after doing any kind of cardio. If I don't I lose control of my extremities, I shake and I also start to feel light-headed. This is a new and recent phenomena.

If you think calorie counting is restrictive, which I did before, it is a "cake walk" compared to the meal by meal monitoring needed to regulate abnormal blood sugar. In a person whose pancreas and liver function "normally", the body itself regulates this. In a diabetic, the person has to take over and do what the body can no longer do on its own. That is the "impairment".

So, Day Two is a fait complet!

My "reality" is I will be doing this for the rest of my life. Since I do NOT want to go the route of pills and/or shots until I have exhausted all of my own efforts or my own efforts cease to have the impact they do today; this is my food plan.

Yes, many of the BECK "behav-mod" skills have stuck. Amen! In spite of not meeting my weight loss goals when I had hoped to ( a disappointment that I have accepted), I will say that what additional weight I have managed to lose (20 lbs.) since I was last here, I have had very little trouble keeping off or maintaining, which I give BDS much of the credit for. I weigh myself every morning, record it. It has not changed (up or down 2 lbs.) since June of this year. However, I am not satisfied in remaining medically obese nor with the health issues that go hand-in-hand with that so I have decided to return to what has worked in the past and just give it more daily attention.

I will do personals tomorrow since this has already gotten quite long.

Glad to be back again, take care all
Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

MikeB: The greatest lesson I have ever learned here is that it is ok to throw food away. Beverleyjoy ( a longtime poster) taught me that. She taught me the twist of adding soap to it because I had been known to dig in the trash a few times.

pamatga: Welcome back.

FutureFatChick: What is your dissertation topic? A thesis was rough enough for me.

As for me, long day. OP with two smoothies, a snack and a meal. I am within 2.5 pounds of beneath 150. It is exactly one month till my birthday (goal day) and in the span there are six holiday parties ( of which I know) are scheduled.

Major rules to keep in mind:
One Day at a Time
Small Choices Count
The food isn't going anywhere. Most of it will be there after I reach my goal. (Thanks for the rare food rule BBE)
If I chose to, I could walk into a See's Candy and buy every box of milk chocolates but I DO NOT CHOOSE IT. No one is making this decision for me.
A ripe persimmon is as delicious as any addictive, human engineered chemical with a candy wrapper.

And The Most Important Question: What will happen if I go through the holidays without thinking about the next bite? What beauty, laughter, peace have I been missing? DS is a beautiful, innocent fun loving eleven year old. How many of these "children's" Xmases do I have left? I don't want to miss a second.

Last edited by maryann; 11-20-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Dear Coaches

Just a quick check in. I have been on plan with food but I am not dropping in weight which is frustrating.

Today I walked 5755 steps; 3.87km, and 7 flights of stairs so I was over on all goals. I closed the kitchen last night and only had planned food

Tomorrow I want to:
Have a food plan - working at home
Close the kitchen after dinner
Walk up 4 flights of stairs - more difficult at home as I don't have stairs so might try and improvise
Walk 5000 steps and > 3km

thanks coaches
Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Three walks kept me active, CREDIT moi. The least interesting was to the dentist who insisted on giving me a prescription for a pain-killer for when the Novocain wore off. Pain-killers scare me; I didn't fill it. He'd said that Extra Strength Tylenol could be used if it was strong enough. I didn't need anything - not sure why there was such a fuss. I hate to think that pain-killers are passed out like aspirin - "just in case."

100% on plan with food, CREDIT moi - I needed that. The trick was to commit to NO snacks whatsoever. None isn't so hard, but once my hand has reached into a bowl of something a snack can become larger than planned. No snacks included during my evening event where ten of us sat in a comfortable living room with wine, choice cheeses, and (I counted) 10 total different snack foods in bowls just inches from my grubby fists. Walked home at 10pm with the nearly-full moon for company, avoiding street lights as possible to savor its gentle light.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "fried strips of something" left behind. How will you ever know what they were?

Cheryl (seadwaters) – It's so frustrating when the body doesn't respond as our mind has determined that it should. Keep the faith; with that exercise your body is doing something - even if not visible to your scale.

FutureFitChick"There. DONE!" - welcome to the attitude in place; Kudos for just stepping forth as needed. Congrats for finishing a figure for your thesis; forward motion is always worthy of congratulations and not recriminations because it was difficult and took longer than it would have taken if took less. Hope you suffered minimal damage from the awful weather of last week in your part of the country.

Pam (pamaga) – Good luck with blood sugar monitoring - it's easy to see how that's more difficult on a meal-by-meal instead of the number of calories over the whole day. Kudos for having a food plan.

maryann - Celebrating, "but I DO NOT CHOOSE IT." Love being reminded that the food will still be there when I'm done losing the weight. Yep, relish Christmas with your delightful 11 year old DS.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Find More Time
If you follow a fairly simple routine, you might be able to schedule in each program task, as Ben did. If your schedule is already pretty full, like Marie's, you might need some help in problem solving. You'll need to figure out how you can delegate, cut back, or eliminate certain activities. The first step is to see very clearly how you're currently spending your time.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 99.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #158  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Scale still moving back down. Lots of energy expended at the "projects". I'm liking my VB6, yet had to make some modifications yesterday, as we joined mom for Sr.ctr.Thanksgiving. It took some thought but I worked around the preset meal. credit. I walked to the rec center after work and soaked in the jacuzzi. There was a water zumba aerobics in progress. Neat to see that it's not my interest, but was interesting to watch anyway.

BBE, credit for 100% OP, especially amidst a large array of food.

MaryAnn, thanks for such an inspiring post. You keep reminding me it's OK to have your own dinner, especially with the understanding of your body and it's unique needs. I had a separate dinner from DH last night and felt good about it.

Must go....I need to do some online research regarding installation of a special flooring product. It will be much easier to do it now instead of bumbling through directions, difficult to read, when I get to the project later this morning. Another reward of learning to plan ahead. Credit.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #159  
Green Tomatoes

One small change to my plan, but I'm pretty happy with 90% yesterday. Aiming for 100% today.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +45 955/1400 minutes for November, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

FutureFitChick: good to see you back here!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #160  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Day Three-Sitting Down While Eating

There are some of the "behav-mod" skills that Dr. Beck proposes that I have never had a problem with. This is one of them. In fact, while I was reading it, I was actually trying to think of any time at all in my recent and not-so-recent past where I ate standing up. I honestly could not think of one! I liken standing up and eating with standing up and peeing (only women understand this one)--I just simply can't do it. Five years ago, my sister, Paula, and I were in a pool surrounded by a lot of people and I said that I had to go to the bathroom. She said, of course, "why don't you just do it here?" ( I know, euuuu) Well, just then (as if by cue) everyone around us got quiet and I said (louder than I needed to) but I "just can't!" Well, that goes for eating while standing. I "just can't!".

However, before I get 'all into myself' on this, there are plenty of the other ones that I struggle with and some of which some of you here have eluded to. BBE, as a very shy person, I have had social anxiety just before time began, so I used to "stuff myself" with food out of being nervous about not being "enough". Ironically, I found out that I am quite a talker once started (gee, what a surprise) but old self-images die hard as do 'old habits' in coping with them. My next "test" will be a holiday party in a couple of weekends. I should be half way through this book by then so, hopefully, I'll Ace the test! WTG Bill in 'nailing it'!

maryann as a parent of an adult and only child, I often wonder what I would do differently if she were still that age. I would hug more, listen more and be less critical. We all have that wisdom within us as parents, we just have to honor it.

Debbie (lexxis): congrats on the scale moving down. One of the first things that I did (that I recall from the previous time I spent with BDS was the "to do" list) was "get busy"; ticking off several unfinished smaller projects in the past couple of days. By nightfall I 'earned' the fatigue to watch t.v. at night.

FutureFitChick: congrats on the thesis coming together. I too was surprised (in a good way) to see so many familiar "faces" but then I quickly reminded myself that this is not a "quick weight loss" but a lifetime of dealing with food, eating and our attitudes towards it. Of course, you all are here. It says both a lot about you (all) as well as the BDS.

Cheryl (seadwaters): Do you measure yourself with the tape measure? I have an former group leader and friend who always insisted on measuring body "parts" on the first of the month. It is a habit that I still do and it is a reminder that even when the scales says you are not losing your body is showing that you are. Case in point: this past year I have lost over 33" and gone down 2 dress sizes.

Joy(gardenerjoy): Glad to hear that you are happy with your food plan. While I was watching t.v. last night, I was making notes of what works in my food plan and I am going to be using that knowledge moving forward. If it works, work it.

Well, I was able to change my ticker this morning. I also am reporting in another thread here on 3FC that takes "10 lbs at a time" approach. One bite at a time. One meal at a time. One day at a time.

Take care all, Pam
Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #161  
Funky

S/C/G: 238/223.5/200

Height: 5'3"

I have a game plan and I am sticking to it. 230.5 today. I want to be 230 tomorrow.

Pam. I can not believe you do not eat standing up. I have such a terrible time while I make dinner. I totally stuff my mouth and do not even know it. But not anymore I am changing that I will only eat sitting down from now on.

FutureFitChick. What is with the picture? Is that an elephant on a treadmill? :-) lol. You are funny.

Still waiting for my book but the website has some archived newsletters I am reading. It helps a lot.

I honestly hate being hungry. Last night I could not sleep I was so hungry. But I made it. And today is a new plan day.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #162  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - 50 years since JFK

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A second day in a row of 100% on plan for food, CREDIT moi. Again, I did it with NO snacks, which is easier for me than keeping snacks under control. One diversion was to two brick and mortar stores to touch and examine washing machines. CREDIT moi for doing what I had to do.

Another diversion was to the laundromat for our standard two loads of laundry while we wait for me to buy a replacement washing machine. I carefully planned to have lunch at the nearby Subway sandwich shop, having NO cookies, chips, or sugar drink - CREDIT moi. Hard issue: If I take a brief on-line survey they'll give me a code for a FREE cookie on my next visit. Not buying a cookie is an achievement, but turning down a FREE cookie is a bigger challenge. So far, I've resisted taking the survey; in three days the offer expires.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – May it be a 100% day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, Kudos for planning ahead with your flooring project.

Pam (pamaga)I "just can't!" is a terrific mantra against your Sabotaging Thoughts.

LoseToAll - My experience is that evening hunger does recede, keep the faith. Congrats for that nicely decreasing scale reading.

Readers -
Quote:

Reducing Your Activities
Review your home and family responsibilities and decide which tasks you can delegate. For example, Sharon decided that she could get her teenagers to do after-dinner kitchen duty. They grumbled and moped at first and didn't do as good a job as Sharon would have, but the kitchen got cleaned nevertheless.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 100.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #163  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Day Four: Give Yourself Credit

Day Four: Give Yourself Credit.

I am better at this than in the past. However, to be honest, I always feel that it is much easier to give yourself credit when things are going well than when they are not. When they aren't, it becomes hard to find even one thing that you want to "toot your horn on". I will say though that without a doubt my #1 strength is I just plain never give up. I get discouraged and I sometimes tread water for what seems like 'forever' but I just don't give up. So, today, I give myself credit for having that trait and being thankful for it.

BBE: I never thought of "I just can't" as a mantra but I think I am going to use it. Thanks for the idea!

LoseToAll: I love to cook and I always have. My idea of a good 'read' is sitting down with a good cook book (doesn't have to have pictures either) and read the recipes. My mind starts thinking of how I could "tweak" and make it "my own". No, I do not taste my food while I cook. I never have. My "rule of thumb" when making a new recipe is I will make it exactly the way the author states it. I will taste it at the table and then (and only then) will I begin to make changes of my own. I have been cooking for thirty plus years and I know almost how something will taste simply by knowing what ingredients are in it. I do however love to be in another room and inhale the wonderful aromas coming from the kitchen. That almost makes me "high".

BBE: You are on a roll (and I don't mean dinner either!) WTG on being OP two days in a row. One of the things that I remembered from my first jaunt with BDS was that day (I don't remember which one) that says make a "To Do" list and then start doing it. So, that was what I did exactly from Day One. "Busy" is always good.

This "so happens" to coincide with some major changes in our life right now. After 10 years of being in the same home, my DH and I moving. I have a specific area north of here, at the base of the north Georgia mountains that I want to reside. The seed was planted on this idea a year ago on Veteran's Day when we went to a popular mountain village for homemade fudge (okay not the best reason, I agree....). I so loved all of the open space and the feeling of being "somewhere other than here in the bustling metropolis" that I said to DH "I wouldn't mind living in all this wide open space out here".

So, my busyness has taken on more of getting ready to move and at my age that means "lots of stuff". I have been going through books and once again deciding what will be donated to the public library. This busyness will probably involve the majority of my days. We also are planning on changing our church. My DH sings both in church as well as professionally. He had the good fortune of singing with a 240 mixed choir that also had the priviledge and honor of the guest directorship of Mack Wilberg recently. He and I both love traditional sacred music (read: anything from 14th century to 18th century) and it is being fazed out of our existing church. My DH tried his best to accept this but found it hard so after 10 years we are making some major changes- a new home north of here and a different church; good ones, of course, but still a certain amount of stress nonetheless.

In the past couple of days, the change in diet has helped me realize some initial weight loss: basically, to include a little more fat (healthy of course) as well as protein has gotten the scales moving down in the right direction. Prior to this, I was not as "regular" as I felt I liked so "whoosh" is the way to go. So, I also took the opportunity to change my ticker once again to a more seasonal one.

LoseToAll: I actually recognized FutureFitChick "first" by her avatar before I even read her name. Hey, FFC, glad to see you again btw.

I like that kind of stability and consistency in this group. It is one of the "hallmarks" of the BDS: it is a life time venture. You find your place, settle in and get to work. I like that.

BBE: I have watched quite a few of the black and white newsreels regarding this day in history 50 years ago. I was 10 at the time and how you perceive history as a child vs an adult (especially now at my age) is so different so I am really taking all of this coverage in from a much different perspective. I have a candle burning right now until the end of the day. I liked what one of the commentators said (back then): to the WWII generation, this day marked the day they went from being "optimists to cynicists". It was the day "they grew up". From where I sit here, I think we lost our sense of "hope" as a nation. Our dreams as a people died with JFK and I don't think we have been the same ever since.

Take care all, Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 11-22-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Hey everyone! I've had an excellent week...but today has been a day of hormonal non-stop munchies. So I had to come here and post and say NO MORE. It's almost 1:30 and I do not need to eat again til dinner at around 6:30.

No Choice.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

Was quite off track day before yesterday - fell for that old chestnut "I am on holidays so I can eat anything I want". Then that night my younger DD was ill (our best guess is as a result of falling for the same line as me!) Being almost phobic about the big V it meant I was very spartan in my eating yesterday! Feel like the pendulum has swung back to it's rightful resting place so looking forward to a day of healthy eating and beach play. Maybe even a short bushwalk - there is a great trail near here with lots of interesting artefacts from the manual days of timber felling for the kids to check out.

Pam - I am an atheist and the only thing that makes me question my belief that there isn't a God is sacred music - I have never encountered any secular music that moves me the way sacred works do! I have a particular passion for 15th and 16th century polyphony (Palestrina, gabrieli etc) and late 20th century (Gorecki, Copland). If I were religious I would definitely switch churches for the music!

Maryann - loved your comment about making the most of your DS's childhood Christmases.
Closed Thread