Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone,

Got into bed last night and realized I had not posted here. Had 2 good days OP, no extra snacks or bread yesterday and writing my plan down for those days it's made it easier to stay on track. I'm having to pay more attention to what I'm eating and making wiser choices. It's showing on the scale already, down 2.6 from Sunday morning, but I'm not writing it down. I weighed yesterday morning as well and because I did not write it down I had forgotten exactly what it was about 10 minutes later.

When I made lunches last night for today I did the full meal plan for me and also figured out the main entrees for the rest of the week. This little bit of planning and control is helping already.

One big credit yesterday was that I was at Costco so early the sample tables were just getting set up. Sure saw a lot of people shopping and "stuffing" food into their mouths as they went.

Off to eat my lunch now and concentrate on it and the others at the table instead of staring at a computer screen! Have a good day everyone. I will get back for personals soon.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #17  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking omg

Coaches

*credit* weighed in this morning and saw 251.6
Gee. Such a big drop. LOVE being so close to the end of the 250's. OMG. It's been a few years since I was under 250. When I first joined 3fatchicks I was so worried about going over 250. That didn't last long as I skipped through them on my way to a grand stop in the 70's, then toyed with 290. All changing now. It takes what it takes.

DH's birthday today. We drove to an aracded with classic video games and spent the afternoon there, playing everything including Dance Dance Revolution which is about 15 years after our time. OMG so fun. I remember seeing boys playing it at the theatre arcade. They always looked goofy doing it as they tried to impress all the girls. I'm sure we looked worse! It was an awesome workout though. I was sweating like crazy and laughing my head off at the same time. Time to find my wii version and do it at home again.

Must go. Time for dinner.

TTFN.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Interesting day in that things were pretty even and reasonable for Mom, but I had a bad headache all day. Thank goodness I was able to lay down for a while, and I didn't deal have to deal with the headache yesterday when things were tough at the rehab center. I'm thinking it may have been food related--I felt on the edge of a low blood sugar reaction all day. In the morning I had some oj provided at the therapy gym during Mom's PT, then went and had a nice protein filled piece of quiche (I know, calories & fat, too, but sometimes you have to choose) before doing some shopping for her. Dozed through dinner & had peanut butter toast, but then when I went up to visit, I got real yukky feeling again so Dad bought me fast food on the way home. Again lots of protein. First time I've eaten in the car since I made the rule, but when you're that weak and clammy and almost dizzy. desperate measures are called for. Frustrating because all week I have been able to plan for snacks to keep this from happening, but today I'm a mess! ?
At least I didn't have the huckleberry shake he had--*credit* for that!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #19  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I have a moment to check in....yesterday was extremely busy. Work was super busy and I came straight home and got DH loaded in the car for PT. We didn't got home until almost 8pm.

As to Beck principles, I noticed several things during my busy day. One, I made myself eat my orange and muffin even though I was way too busy AND I resisted several homemade goodies brought in by coworkers. When I got home I had 5 minutes to change. I grabbed a pair of pants and as I was starting to change the thought ran through my head, "I hope these still fit". An old thought pattern, countered with, "I know these fit...I weigh everyday and have had no change in weight since the last time I wore them." credit for persistance.

Happy 4th of July everyone! No fireworks for most of Colorado, which pleases the pup. We had a significant rain yesterday which made everyone extremely joyous!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday - 4th of July

Diet Coaches/Buddies - To stay on my eating plan I maneuvered through both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's without a single FREE sample, CREDIT moi. That included passing on the yellow mango chunks being cut next to the massive mound of them. Such a small caloric hit would have been OK for me, but my experience is that it would set the tone that the next sample was also OK. It is so clear how to sabotage myself: just wander, without a plan, around the FREE food and let my inner child want, want, want. I distinctly had the thought in both stores, If I really didn't want to have the FREE samples, I'd walk straight to the checkout now that I've picked up what I need. I knew that I could make that choice. And then I did! It's embarrassing how simple it is.

The walk, CREDIT moi, was just OK; It gets shortened when I stop to shop. My mind was convinced that I had to walk straight home because of the frozen food in my backpack. My mind seemed to have forgotten that I had looked at some frozen entrees at Trader Joe's but hadn't purchased any. There are so many of us up there in my brain.

onebyone – Congrats on that swoosh. Love the image of you and your DH doing Dance Dance Revolution at the arcade.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – This one cracks me up, "2. Take out two containers to put away leftover rice!" I can so fall for that portion that doesn't fit in the container I'm already filling up. Once, I dumped it all into a second, larger container then had this awful feeling that I was making too many dirty dishes.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for rain in Colorado - about time for some good news for you guys. Kudos for avoiding homemade goodies.

Nature Girl – Kudos for keeping your wits at all with the headache joining all the other stuff you're facing. Good to hear that the day was "even and reasonable" for your mom. Continuing to send supportive thoughts.

Tazzy - Interesting, it helps me when I see "a lot of people shopping and 'stuffing' food into their mouths as they went" - brings out such negative judgement that makes me not want to look like that. Kudos that planning is helping.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
Confidently Follow Your Plan While Traveling

On your way: Read your Response Cards and relevant sections in your Diet Notebook on the trip there. If you haven't packed food to eat on the way, and the only available foods are relatively high in calories, you'll have to eat small portions. Remember, if you're still hungry, it's not an emergency! You will have another snack or meal coming up in a few hours or the following morning.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 161.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 07-04-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #21  
persist

Exclamation grain of salt

Coaches

*credit* for my weigh in even though it said +3.7lbs (255.3)! Yep. Scales. Gravity. Salt. Humidity. Who knows. That 251.6 is nowhere in sight this morning. Official weigh-in is tomorrow so thank goodness for small mercies.

I'm off on a solitary drive this morning. It's a planned getaway for me. I wasn't sure I needed it when I got up, but now, after doing the dishes, which had piled up for two days (man that's fast) and dealing with ickky ickky compost and garbage and recyclables for the garbage man this morning (NOTHING worse than dealing with the garbage in the summer I swear) I'm ready to run away. I have a looming deadline for tomorrow; two in fact, but I'm going anyway.

I'm back home this afternoon. Plenty of time to get things done.

OK coaches. I remain On Plan/On Track and within my daily points for the week.

Bye

Last edited by onebyone; 07-04-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone,

Happy 4th of July to my US friends! It's also oldest stepson's birthday today, 18, wow, now he can go to bars in most of Canada. Sure doesn't seem old enough to be doing that. At least his birthday plan is to have all his friends over to his mom's and they will drink at home instead. Saving money and also the driving/safety issue. Wise thinking for a group their age.

Had a pretty good day yesterday, weighed and down another 1 today. Stayed on track until after dinner. I ended up with the start of a nasty headache in the afternoon and ate as soon as I got home, helped that dinner just needed to be heated up. Decided later I wanted something sweet and was going to the pantry for a measured serving of chocolate chips when the bag of marshmallows from our weiner roast on the weekend called out. I thought it would be easier to calculate them, 100 calories for 4, but made the mistake of taking the bag with me instead of taking a serving. After 12 of them I decided it was certainly time to put the bag away. BBE - I probably looked like the people I judged in Costco they day before.

to everyone who's around.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

Happy Independence Day to the Americans on board!

Like Lexxiss in Colorado, Kirkwood's celebrations have been canceled. The only fireworks shows that are happening in the St. Louis area will be the ones shot from a barge or over a lake. We're going to stay home and be prepared to yell at any neighbors who shoot off fireworks. I think I'll politely ask them to point their bottle rockets toward their house instead of mine. We haven't heard any fireworks in recent nights like we usually do, so maybe the neighbors are refraining this year under the circumstances. Fireworks are illegal in Kirkwood anyway, but that hasn't stopped them. It would be nice to know that even if my neighbors aren't all law-abiding, at least they don't want to start fires.

Yesterday was on plan with measured cooked grains. I thought I was hungry after an early supper but drank lots of water and found distractions and did not go to bed hungry even though I didn't eat again.

WI: -0.3 kgs, Exercise: +30 140/1400 minutes for July, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Nature_girl: keep trying. It's all a grand experiment. I'm surprised how often I think I have the answer and either it wasn't the answer or it stopped working for me. You are in strange circumstances so it's likely to take a lot of experiments to figure out what's going to work.

Lexxiss: Yay for pants that fit, just like they did last time!

BillBlueEyes: yay for simply walking to the checkout!

onebyone: yep on the vagaries of the scale. It's just a number. Much more meaningful month-to-month than day-to-day. Hope you have a lovely getaway!

Tazzy: Happy birthday to your Canadian stepson on the fourth of July! I definitely have to measure or count things on the counter right outside the pantry and put the bag back to stand any chance of staying on plan.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Mom's ok and we've got plans that everyone is ok with for her continued rehab, so I took the morning to go up to Glacier National Park and visit some of my favorite close to the highway spots. Nature therapy: stunning mountains, tall green trees, rushing water, deep lakes, lots o tourists. Am I still a tourist if I've been coming here for 51 years? It truly is therapeutic for me! And I had a chance to be active, also, although no time for actual hiking.
Stayed on plan all day, at least stayed with 4 rules. Dinner was about a ton of Famous Daves takeout to Mom's place, eaten on the terrace. Actually I believe I eat LESS when there is a big platter in the middle of the table--I tend to eat until I full (ok, quite full!) but don't have that compulsion to clean my plate. Like I've said, this week, portions and actual food choices are not part of my plan; I will add that in next week. I drive home tomorrow--feeling good about where Mom is, how Dad is doing, and the decisions we made while I was here. My brother takes over next.
Rode my bike and did my PT strength tonight. That has been a habit I have enjoyed getting in to, and I plan to stick with it!
Northern MT has had a lot of rain (6.1 inches in June) so fireworks are allowed here and I have never heard so many all at once and over such an area before--it's 11:30 and the "thunder" is still constant.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It was a gentle Fourth of July. Ate nothing off plan, CREDIT moi, and did little. There were occasional fireworks all day (illegal) with a large set in the Charles River in the evening. Since our Australian Shepard is gone, there's no negative side, so they can just be enjoyed. We even started the day with a quarter inch of rain.

The gym (CREDIT moi) was nearly deserted. Walking never happened as I was too busy doing Fourth of July nothing kind of stuff. I did finish Bridges of Madison County. It's short. I thought it terrific. I bought in to the author's tiny inserts to make it real: The two kids made three trips to Iowa to help tell the tale; Robert Kincaid's passionate letter ends with a P.S. saying he put a new engine in his pickup; The daughter remembers arguing for three days with Francesca about the pink dress. I'm an easy sell even though I neither believe in love at first sight nor lasting passionate love with a stranger. The part of me who wishes it were so relishes reading about those so enraptured.

onebyone – Yay for "On Plan/On Track" and a get away when the soul needs it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for "measured cooked grains" - it so helps me to read of your evaluation, plan, and execution. So there's my review of Bridges. It's easy to see how it could get under the skin of someone who wasn't in the mood to suspend reality. And also easier to identify with the last cowboy having a fling while living a large life, instead of with a woman who felt merely satisfied enough with her life and is cheating on a good man.

Nature Girl – Glacier National Park is one fine choice nature therapy; it's on my Bucket List. Glad to hear your mom's plan is "ok." Kudos for sticking to your plan in a stressful situation.

Tazzy - Super Kudos for 18 year olds who understand the "driving/safety issue." Ouch for the marshmallows that snuck under the radar.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
Confidently Follow Your Plan While Traveling

Your arrival: If you are staying in a hotel, the treats in your room can be very tempting. Put them in a closet, cover them with a towel, or ask the hotel staff to remove them. You can also give back the mini-bar key.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 161.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #26  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I enjoyed my first big smile moment of the day reading BBE's review of Bridges of MC. I did enjoy the book...reading it after the movie had come out. I bought it at an airport bookstore and enjoyed it's completion on a long flight to Alaska....enhanced, perhaps, as I imagined Clint Eastwood just appearing on my doorstep.lol

Ah, back to Beck....Yesterday was a good Beck day....far too busy at work to eat my packed lunch so I legitimately switched to two pieces of dry sourdough toast. The boss brought in a pie and I had one polite bite. I stopped at the grocery on the way home and purchased "vegetarian BBQ ribs", courtesy of Morningstar. I added 1/2 ear of fresh corn and a quick version of rosemary roasted baby potatoes and DH and I had a festive OP holiday dinner. credit. I was rewarded with a good weigh in this morning and am feeling confident I'll move my ticker again one of these days.

Medical appointments today so I need to keep moving.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #27  
Green Tomatoes

Since it was too hot to grill, our 4th of July dinner celebrated America as a nation of immigrants -- Chinese stir-fry and Irish beer. At least the ingredients of the stir-fry were nearly all local, including about 8 cups of greens from my very American vegetable garden. Credit for growing and eating greens.

The neighbors refrained from shooting off bottle rockets at our house -- thank goodness.

WI: +0.05 kgs, Exercise: +55 195/1400 minutes for July, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Nature_Girl: Glacier National Park is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

BillBlueEyes: good points, all, about Bridges of Madison County. I read it on a trip to show off my new husband (second marriage) to my slew of relatives in Indiana. He was, understandably, not that keen on the whole idea and it was not a pleasant trip which scared me so early in our marriage. I felt that the book celebrated this 4-day affair as a great and miraculous event. At that moment, I didn't care at all about a 4 day relationship -- I wanted to know how to manage the miracle of a 40 year one. I would probably feel better about the whole thing now that we've been married for 20 years.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #28  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hi everyone, I was missing in action due to computer virus. Yikes, it is all taken care of now thanks to DH. I have been eating on plan, running on the treadmill for 30 minutes and running in the pool each day. I feel good. Busy at work, stressful situation, I haven't eaten over it.
4th of July was crazy at my workplace as we are close to the border. It was fun and many people wanting to have fun. I am back to work in a few minutes so off to pack lunch. I leave things to the last minute.
Everyone seems to be doing great. Kudo's to all of you. Have a wonderful day.
Ann
Old 07-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #29  
persist

Thumbs up I can taste it

Hi Coaches

Went to my WW meeting and saw a -2.4lb drop to get me to 253.2. Soon soon very soon I will bid adieu to the 250's. *credit*

Pleeeaaaaassssseeee let it be soon.

I was 90% up to my sister's challenge to stay to my daily points this week, and except for the very last meal on the very last day I did just that. I'll take a *big credit* for 90%. When I got back home after my day out I was ravenous and I had a bite here and a bite there and I didn't stop and all of a sudden I was 10pts over my daily total. Just-like-that and all the food eaten while standing at the stove mostly. Wow.

Our side bet was for each of us to lose 3lbs for the week, a ridiculous amount, I was at exactly 3lbs when I weighed in at home this morning but mysteriously 0.6 climbed on between my house and the WW scale. My sister meanwhile is almost exactly 100lbs less than me and she lost 0.6lb even though she did what I did AND she started bikram yoga. She feels all is lost for her and that WW doesn't work for her, and never has, and that she cannot eat carbs at all and that she must suffer to lose her weight. Meanwhile she is 3.2 (I think) lbs down in 3 weeks. I just couldn't get her to see the positive side. She wants to lose weight faster and was MASSIVELY disappointed in her less than 1lb loss after sticking to the plan. I can do nothing to change her outlook. I encouraged her to commit to it for a month at least and two months would be better but I am afraid she's not going to. At least, for me, this is my foodplan of choice and it's working.

ok back to work. I've attached an image of an 8x10 I painted for a charity thing. It's called Just Walk Away. I find it hilarious, but I am kind of biased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justwalkaway8x10t.jpg (19.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

It is a sunny 76 degrees, no humidity and the sky is a blue seen only here. It has not been an easy 2 days. I have been recreationing with a large group. I did not give myself enough alone time and by last nite I was a mess. Thanks to hubb and DS I am better this morning with a new attitude. Rafting, zip lining, swimming, all have their place but so does good old fashion productivity. Often it is a cure for my blues.
Up early this am, taught DS how to make French toast, then we weeded for two hours. Finally I hopped down to the hardware store, picked up some pumice stone and cleaned the rings off the toilets here in our cabin. They have been bugging me for three years. I am a little embarrassed it took me this long to do it.
As for food, with the blues of the last two days came chaotic food. I ate salads and fruit but also other non productive stuff. High on the scale today. I really don't know how I will get back to the discipline I had a year ago. All I know is I can keep exercising, keep up with fruit and veggies, keep checking in here.
BBE: 100% agree about Bridges of Mad. My take: Anyone can fall in love for three days and if it was a love of a lifetime it could wait another three days to tell the husband.
Lexxiss: Credit for planning and dumping bread crusts.
gardenerjoy: Thanks for reminding me about water.
Closed Thread