Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #31  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Yesterday had some emotional twists and turns as we tried to reintegrate family AND I spent an unplanned day at work.( DH seemed a little miffed because I hadn't paid enough attention to him yet) I made up to him by taking him to IMAX in Denver to see Tornado Alley in 3D then out to dinner. We tried Ethiopian for the first time. It was good...seemed healthy yet I have no idea what the bread stuff was. I'll research today. Credit yesterday for weighing, making my smoothie and taking my lunch even though I woke up less than an hour before work. I love automation.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Smile

Hi Everyone,

Wednesday was very busy for me. Exercise was my recumbent bike, plus being on my feet what seemed like all day. I baked, gardened, helped DH load the pickup for a trash haul, washed the dog, walked the dog pack, etc. Calories were low and that was ok.

Today I'm going to re-think my floor work exercise routine because I'm struggling with it. I need a change in either time or something because I'm not making it a priority. Any tips, coaches, on how you stay motivated to do formal exercise? lol, for my bike riding I keep a little log with the time and distance I do. I started making a big parenthesis with a smiley face that spans M/W/F. So I feel committed to doing it just so I can complete the parenthesis! Maybe I answered my own question and need a log for the other routine...

……….. Just Keep Moving

maryann: Yeah for a better day, and a good night's sleep. Your work sounds very challenging.

Tazzy: Credit for starting over. The speed with which we are willing to do that is really an important muscle to have. I'm a calorie counter and find it works well in turning food into a number, not a bowl of comfort.

Beverlyjoy: I hope you find a way to eat in a way that suits your healthy goals on the holiday. There is a section in Beck that talks about this. I'm going to review it today.

gardenerjoy: I agree - her video is empowering. Yeah for re-thinking food to make it fit the need for leftover lunches.

BillBlueEyes: Credit for knowing that snacks are troublesome. The problem can't hide or fester with that kind of thinking. I need to do the same with my studio exercising and make it a priority on T/Th again.

Lexxiss: Credit for staying focused on your plan needs while taking care of others.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #33  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Woodland: Classes... for me, classes are key. I work harder in classes. And doing something you really love and connect with. I've struggled, I mean STRUGGLED with the exercise piece until I FINALLY (and not that long ago) began a structured and rigorous yoga practice. I wouldn't dream of not hitting my mat now.

Before I found yoga, the thing that helped me was accountability. A dear friend of mine made me email him my workout schedule at the beginning of the week. Then, I'd use my bike app and have it email him an update or check in at the gym so he knew I was there. That helped get me into the groove after about 2 weeks.

Good luck! The exercise piece was by far the hardest for me to get working consistently.

Last edited by fyreflie24; 04-05-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #34  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Hello all. Gotta a break in between customers, so thought I would do a quick check in. Eating is so-so. Could be better! Am still trying to get a few minutes to re-do my advantages cards, am reading them, but I want to write more on them, but this is my busy season and will be until the end of May, so one day and one step at a time. We are closed tomorrow (don't work on the day Jesus died) so will be "working" at home doing payroll and catching up on invoices AND hopefully having time to catch up here, hopefully the weather will hold up and we can go bike riding in the neighborhood, it's been raining a lot the past few days. Bell rang, customer coming in, have a blessed day.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends/coaches/buddies - I am having a healthful day today. I am feeling very stressed as a good good friend of DH's (his best friend from high school and they are still good friends) had a heart attack and is having open heart surgery as I type this. DH is home on a day off - he's scooted over to the hospital to sit with our DF's wife. The first thing I wanted to do was eat!! You know... any emotion makes me think of food. But - I have shouted back at those sabatoging thoughts for now. I keep saying that eating and food is NOT an emergency... it does not fix cravings, desire, emotions, fatigue or illness. It just does NOT fix them. Please send your positive thoughts to our friend, Brad.

I saw an article (and a news cast) today on the West African Chocolate /cocoa growers - who use child/ &slave labor to grow and harvest the cocoa beans. That the major chocolate manufacturers all buy this cocoa. It certainly gave me something to think about. I think I need to go to Fair Trade Chocolate products. I am fairly addicted to chocolate - I am so appalled and don't know what to think. Maybe this can be a catalyst for quelling my chocolate desires.

Thanks for listening.

Hope you day is going well.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-06-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #36  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Coping with excitement/stress of switching to a new cell phone provider and new phones and all the associated things that we hopefully thought through. Looks like I'll get my first ever smart phone tomorrow. I'm remembering that one of my occasions for overeating was as a way to calm myself in situations like this. But I didn't do that today and I think I'll just go to bed early with a book.

WI: -0.05 kgs, Exercise:+55 240/1400 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Woodland: I set a goal for minutes exercised in the month. I count yoga, qi gong, stretching, dancing to whatever comes up on Pandora (their new workout stations are fun), even gardening if I do enough hauling to make it aerobic or enough squats and lunges to make it strength-training. I still get into ruts where I'm on the treadmill every day or always doing exercise DVDs or never doing exercise DVDs, but when I notice that I'm in a rut, the minutes per month goal helps me make an adjustment and still feel like I'm heading toward my overall goal.

Beverlyjoy: sending healing energies to Brad and supportive thoughts to you and DH.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #37  

Hi coaches/buddies/friends... our friend came through his surgery well & I did NOT overeat about it. So grateful for the willingness to push through the 'need' to eat. It was strictly emotional reasons for wanting to eat.

Actually yesterday was a healthy food day. I am grateful for that. I fulfilled many of my goals:
no second helpings
lots of water
always left a bite of food on my plate
used my resistance techniques to NOT eat when emotional
a few deep breaths before each meal to center myself
weighed
planned/measured food/logged

I have been thinking about ways and stratagies to make it through this weekend with food sanity and within my plan. For me - I must plan, plan and plan some more.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and weekend.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #38  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Again, good enough food day, CREDIT moi. Dinner included a small slice of blueberry pie which easily fit my rare and unusual category since DW has never purchased a pie that I remember. It was good, but not worth playing a drum for.

Exercise was a walk (CREDIT moi) to the library which had my reserved copy of . . . you won't believe this . . . The Hunger Games. (I was annoyed to be the only human on planet earth who hadn't read it.) The reserve list was several hundred long; I hadn't expected to get it until fall. The good news is that it's a one sit read - one loooong sit, but it's a page turner. I did fall in love with . . . the Mockingjay - neat bird!

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for switching to a smart phone; you're ahead of me. I still use my cell phone for making outgoing calls and only occasionally leave it on to accept incoming calls. me . . . troglodyte.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I love Injera bread - it's easy to eat tons since it's the way to get food to the mouth. To my surprise, there are three stores that sell fresh Injera within walking distance; I hadn't heard of it ten years ago before my first trip to an Ethiopian restaurant.

Beverlyjoy – Sending supportive thoughts to you guys, Brad, and his family that his open heart surgery goes well. What a good reminder how weird we've gotten our brains wired, "any emotion makes me think of food."

Woodland - Kudos for working your exercise plan to get it to your satisfaction. When I'm on schedule, the only thing that helps me is to have exercise marked on my daily to-do list so that it just needs to happen.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Yep, I work harder in classes, also. Wish that I had that driven mentality to work that hard alone.

CatholicCajun – Here's hoping that you get a moment to update your Advantages Card, but also hoping that your stream of customers continues - customers are good, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan Despite Food Pushers

Create a Food Pusher Mindset . . .
I have found that dieters tend to significantly overestimate how disappointed other people will be when they turn down offers of food - as well as how long other people's disappointment will last. Dieters are frequently amazed when a food pusher accepts their refusal and either changes the subject or tries to push the food on someone else.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 141.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #39  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Oh Beckies... please talk me down.

Last night, I went on a eat-everything-in-sight chowfest. I'm not sure exactly why and it's really unusual for me (I've only done this once before since August) but it has me kinda freaked out. I'm trying to move on, learn from it blah blah but it did scare the **** out of me to think that the behaviors that got me here to begin with are still around!

I need to regroup, recenter and start over, just like in yoga, but I could use some words from the Beckies-wise PLEASE!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Smile

Hi Everyone,

My exercise went well yesterday. I made the time for it, and thought all kinds of good things during it. Countering negative thinking with positives is such an important skill for me to practice. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll mull the ideas over and incorporate some new thinking because of you.

Happy Friday ! I'm tired, but will keep chugging along.

……….. Just Keep Moving

fyreflie24: Good advice and I'm glad you found a system that works for you. I work out at home and I'm letting the schedule get too sloppy. I need to figure out an accountability piece for this.

Sorry for your food mistake. I felt the same recently about how the bad habits are still present inside. I had been on program for so long, that having a many-month cycle of poor choices was freaky. I had to re-read the books, post honestly here, to come back from it. Just as the bad decision parts will always be there, so too are the good decision habits. I believe we are both and have to work at being the one we prefer. Think of credits you did despite all the mistakes to help build your confidence back up. We are here for you.

CatholicCajun: Nice to hear from you.

Beverlyjoy: So glad about your friend, and your success in getting through the rough situation.

gardenerjoy: Yeah for distracting yourself from stress eating. The minute counting is an interesting idea. I do my bike riding by minutes, but my floor exercise work is by the songs loaded on my iPod. I've never thought about how many minutes it adds up to, but I'll do the math and remind myself of the accomplishment.

Billblueeyes: Blueberry pie sounds like a wonderful and rare treat! I only eat pie at Thanksgiving so I know it is a special thing to enjoy! Glad your calf allowed you to do a walk comfortably. I do the same exercise activity note on my daily list, but I must be mentally giving it a pretty low priority. Mistake!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #41  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Yesterday was a healthy and Beck centered day. I practiced great resistance as lunch got pushed back as we waited for mom's prescrip at Costco, reminding myself that hunger was not an emergency. Credit for no samples and drinking water as DH ate pizza and slurped a frapp while we waited. Credit, also, for not going to an easier (and off plan) locale for lunch and forging ahead to WF where I enjoyed salad and brn rice sushi. No planned exercise and spontaneous exercise was "patience".

Donamarie, credit for getting right back on track. My sense is that it's important to acknowledge that while I am learning new skills that I'm not entirely "fixed". That knowledge allows me the opportunity to live each day with mindfulness. One day (one evening one meal) happens. One week (one month one year) has ever increasing consequences. I choose...I am ultimately responsible.

BillBlueEyes, yay for one piece of BB pie, especially since you resisted Ben and Jerrys. Injera bread, yes, looks pretty healthy....

gardenerjoy, yay for not eating over your excitement of the new phone, especially as you reflect that this was an event you used to eat over.

Beverlyjoy, sending supportive thoughts to all concerned regarding Brad and his surgery. Credit for keeping yourself on track during this time. Thx for info regarding the cocoa trade. I googled and found my choc of choice (Chocolove) to be acting responsibly yet I will research further next time I'm at Whole Foods. I tend to be proactive yet sometimes uneducated/uninformed.

Woodland, credit for planning time for exercise and then making it a positive experience.

CatholicCajun, I'm going to redo my Advantages Deck today. Thanks for the reminder and credit for checking in. My Advantages are very outdated and I have identified some new ones in my mind that definitiely need an update.

Well, coaches, I nudged DH to exercise today and he's starting so I'd better get going. I am really on the thought of "Personal Responsibility". If I want to maintain my losses and lose more weight its MY personal responsibility to moniter WHAT goes in my mouth VIA my chosen food plan and HOW and WHEN I eat VIA my BDS learned/practiced skills. This thought really helped me keep several items out of my mouth/hand yesterday. No one can do this for me except me.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hello Everyone,

A very quick check in as I'm in the middle of cleaning out clutter! I have 2 very full laundry baskets of clothes to take away and now need to tackle a bench seat with a lot of shoes no one in the house wears anymore! Then I'll make a trip to the Goodwill depot and donate all of them.

Food has been so-so. Really good during the day, not so good at night. I need to regroup one more time and get organized. I'm going to try and find the green Beck book and look at that suggested eating plan. DH commented that he feels like he's regaining what he lost and he wants to get back at it again as well. It makes my life easier as then I can prepare the same things for everyone in the family and not feel like I have to be baking things for him and the boys to eat.

Not much time for personals right now but want to send a shout to to fyreflie24. You have accomplished so much in your journey, we all stumble at some point and need to remember to get back up quickly and not allow ourselves to wallow in it. Today's a new day and a new start.

Last edited by Tazzy; 04-06-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #43  

Hi.. stopping by again for some personals. Company/family is coming tomorrow.

First of all, thanks so much for the prayers and positive thoughts to our friend, Brad. He has a long road ahead to heal - but, they feel pretty positive about it now.

Lexxiss/debbie - yes, CREDIT, indeed for facing changes and challenges as the day unfolded. Excellent. I love you saying that your spontaneous exercise was patience!!! Yes - it's horrible about the chocolate slave trade. All based in greed. Sigh.

woodland - excellent that you did think positive things with your exercise. It's nice to find things that are helpful. Thank you for your reminder to read the Beck books about travelling for ideas and strategies.

fyrflye - yikes... aren't you glad that the 'food fest' is over. Hop right back on your plan. Yoga will help. It sometimes happens... then we remember that it's just not worth it.

billbe - sometimes we have to settle for 'good enough'. Do you know why DW bought a pie, if she rarely does? Nice walk to the library. Glad your calf is letting you walk more. I haven't read The Hunger Games, either.

gardenerjoy - major credit for NOT celebrating your new smart phone with food. It is amazing how so many of our emotions become intertwined with eating.

catholiccajun - credit for finding time to your advantages etc. It doesn't take all that long.. but, for me, if I just 'do it' I feel better about facing a day with lots of food staring at me.

Hope you all have a nice weekend.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #44  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Hello all. Perfect weather here today after all the rain! Lexxiss I want to "itemize" my advantages cards, instead of merely listing them I want to expand on WHY it is an advantage, I want one per day that way it just doesn't become a list to memorize. Eating is better today, really enjoyed some shrimp patty (like a crab cake but thin with shrimp instead of crab) po-boys that hubby cooked up. Going outside in a few minutes to sit on the swing and enjoy this beautiful spring day. Have a blessed one all.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #45  
Green Tomatoes

I hit a new low this morning. I'm curious now what my body is going to decide is the low end of my maintenance range.

The smart phone purchase got pushed off until Monday. DH is contemplating whether he wants one, too.

WI: -0.55 kgs (new low), Exercise:+0 240/1400 minutes for April, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I haven't read Hunger Games yet. The premise seemed too dark for me. But I'll probably break down one of these days for the same reason that you did. Being the only person in America to have not read it is not a comfortable situation either.

fyreflie24: Breathe! I'm not sure that those of us who found something in the act of overeating that was a comfort are ever going to lose that impulse. The good news from Beck is that it is so much easier to as you said "regroup, recenter and start over" than I ever thought possible. In fact, I guess I used to think it was impossible and now I know for certain that it's not only possible, it's always easier than I think it will be. By the time you read this, I'm guessing you will already be well on the road to a place of sane eating. You might try The Seven Question Technique, Day 27, of the pink book or the Cheat Sheet, pp102-105 of the green book.
Closed Thread