Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #106  

Hi Coaches/Buddies
Thanks for the support. My brother is now out of the hospital and feels good. Apparently the heart attack was stopped mid attack with a stent.
This has certainly lit a fire under me with regard to my food and exercise plans. Dropping the fruit has had a remarkable effect. I'm already down 3 1/2 from last week and now just a pound and a half from my first 5 lb goal (which I had set waaay back in January when my mom was home from her first stroke. Oh well.
Don't have time for personals tonite, just thought I'd let you know that I'm okay and wish you all well.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #107  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Pretty sick, but had to drive mom to Denver anyway. DH went over to our other house today,nice to only have to care for myself. Spontaneous exercise was walking up a very large set of outside stairs for cold medication. Credits included walking right by donuts and other sabotaging foods and instead chosing an organic mac and cheese which I ate half of.

BBE, glad to hear your calf is cooperating at the gym.

Maplover, glad your bro is recouperating!

Beverlyjoy, I double locked my doors tonight...always think of you. Thx

Keepingmy fingers crossedfora quickrecovery.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #108  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Today went off the plan in many ways, but all in all the eating was fine.

WI: NA kgs, Exercise:+60 730/1400 minutes for April, Food: 60%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes
: Plot Outlines of 101 Best Novels sounds useful!

maplover: good to know you're brother is already on the road to recovery

Lexxiss: healing energies going your way!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #109  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Repeat: on plan at meals, CREDIT moi, but extra afternoon snack, Ouch. Gotta think of some better responses to the Sabotaging Thought that I need a doubled snack and it doesn't matter.

My walk, CREDIT moi, required a thin long sleeved shirt as the temperatures returned to seasonal. That's fine by me, as it's easier to warm up while walking than to cool down.

onebyone – Love it, "something's going on" - always trust the pants-o-meter, it just can't lie. Can't wait to see the giant butterfly. Wish you were teaching when I was in kindergarten.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Plans sometimes seem to call for change. Glad you saved, "the eating was fine."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – You certainly remain one diligent support person with driving while "Pretty sick." Hope you're on the mend.

Tazzy - Yay Zumba! Glad that the stomach is back in working order. I've always loved that line, "I'm only one stomach virus away from my goal weight," LOL.

maplover – That's pretty amazing that your brother is recovering so quickly. Congrats on the results of dropping fruit.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan at Restaurants
restaurant skills
Choose items that correspond to the Think Thin Initial Eating Plan. Use your Think Thin Food Lists (pages 215-227) for guidance. Design your meal and figure out portion sizes you can have without going over the calorie limit for this meal.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 145.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #110  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Maplover: I'm so sorry about your bro but thankful they were able to respond so quickly! Speedy recovery vibes to him and best to you!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #111  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Susan: talk about hard core biking!!! I know those gazillion dollar bikes of which you speak... they're amazing. Wow, what a trip!. Great for you for doing it! Sounds like a great time but I'd be driving that hill too! I'm hoping DH and I can do some bike tours as we build strength and stamina!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #112  

Height: 5'6"

hi all.
Challenged staying on tracking. Read your posts. Everyone is focussed, or trying to focus. Wow, do we put energy into this or what.

Have a great day. Will read more or your thoughts tonight.
Susan
Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #113  

Hello-can I introduce myself here? I'm only on day 11 or 12, not sure which-it's the Hunger Tolerance exercise day. Since I didn't take a lunch break today I thought it would be a good time to check in here.

I am on Weight Watchers but I really want to get away from all the counting and follow a more intuitive eating plan. I'm not sure if that will fly as I get more into the BDS plan but I thought attending weekly WW meetings and weigh-ins, and incorporating BDS into my life might have me covered.

So that's me. I wanted to go on record here! You seem like a great group and I look forward to getting to know all of you better.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #114  

Hi again! LOL! I've come to the realization that I can't do this alone and am looking for some support here in the Beck section of 3FC again.

I successfully lost weight with Beck in 2007 and felt so proud of myself because for the first time I was the one in control of the food, not letting it control me. Life intervened though and I fell into quite a state of depression, the weight piled back on and I had to seek help to get myself back to the right mindset in order to start another weight loss journey.

Since November 2010 I've lost about 65 pounds and have 20 more to go, but I'm struggling at this time with some serious binge eating and feeling very out of control. I'm working full time and in grad school part time with two classes that have me stressed out. They have created a situation where I have to sort of put my weight loss efforts on the shelf because the time I'd usually spend shopping for groceries, planning and cooking meals is spent working on class papers and projects. I feel like such a failure because I want to make my weight loss a priority along with work AND school; but ultimately work and school have to come first.

In any case, the semester will be over in a few weeks, and I'm trying to hold on until then, but I'm gaining weight with all of the binge eating I'm doing and am trying to think of what I can do to stop it before I do some real damage. So, I re-ordered BDS (even though I already have my old copy), and will be reading it again from the beginning and following all of the steps day by day.It'll be delivered tomorrow. (I wonder why they haven't made a digital version, it would be SUCH a help.) I am really bad at check-ins, especially since I have to limit my time on the internet for the next few weeks as I finish up the semester, but I will try my best to pop in at least once a day and follow up with everyone here, see how you're all doing and hopefully read something here that will click, and help me through this difficult time. I see some familiar names, and I love that this part of the forum is still going so strong. It means that BDS works!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #115  
Green Tomatoes

Another strange day, but part of the strangeness was a 95 minute walk -- so no complaints there.

We spent the morning at the Art Museum looking at very large photographs. My favorite was Library by Andreas Gursky: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2012/04/...ndreas-gursky/

WI: +0.25 kgs, Exercise:+95 825/1400 minutes for April, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, Amy8888! This is a great group! How did the hunger experiment go?

Hi Cammie-Cam! It sounds like you have a lot going on -- yay for taking steps to give health a place in there as well.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #116  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Amy8888

Amy8888

And just in case, even though you've been here more than a decade,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find this Beck Forum on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Repeated the repeated on afternoon snack on an otherwise good eating day (CREDIT moi). Evening snack was slightly off track when the lovely young neighbor showed up with a slice of tiramisu that got split three ways. I'm a sucker for food gifts from our young neighbor who's learning to cook and shares with the neighborhood.

Did gym, CREDIT moi, a little better than last time. I like the gradual improvement. Had to work out hearing a loud trainer shouting at a hard working woman, "We're having fun, we're having fun," when he was sitting and she was sweating. "Fun" isn't what I'd call what was going on. Glad that I wasn't paying to be yelled at.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – 95 minutes is one fine walk. Neat picture. I hope libraries don't disappear underneath the digital world. I'm so prejudiced to the feel of a book, and especially an old book that's been read by others over the years.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – You'd think one of "those gazillion dollar bikes" would be a fine reward for reaching goal.

Susan (hikergirl) – Yep "focused" seems to be the winning strategy.

Amy8888 – Kudos for plunging right in with the Hunger Tolerance exercise. How did it go? Did the hunger go away after a while? Neat that you already have your primary plan (Weight Watchers). I take it you're looking for a different plan - perhaps to replace it. There're a wide variety of plans being followed on this thread and, as I suspect you well know, a zillion around and about 3FC. Hope you find the one that fits. Glad you're here.

Cammie (Cammie-Cam) – I do remember you here just like it was only four plus years ago. You were doing fine and headed off to some adventure - perhaps Europe if I recall. Overwhelming life can be a challenge to find time to stick to an eating plan and an exercise plan. Perhaps you can spend a little time to choose a plan that fits being a working graduate student. Perhaps a portion control for the meals that can't be the menu of your first choice. And perhaps some carefully selected snacks that serve the long stretches between meals as well as the desire for nibbles to make the pressure go away. If you can make time to just briefly check-in here, that can be a real motivator. Consider avoiding personal responses while you're this busy since the thought of how much time that'd take could serve as a demotivator for just checking in. Glad you're back and moving forward.

Yep, gotta love it, "It means that BDS works!"

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan at Restaurants
restaurant skills
At the beginning of this chapter, I described a basic restaurant menu that included a green salad or consommι, lean protein, steamed vegetables, a side of grain, and suggestions for using your Bonus Calories (page 134). Below are some additional main-course menu ideas (start each meal with a salad with no extras and dressing on the side):
  • One and a half slices of plain, thin-crust pizza and a side of steamed vegetables. Count the crust as your grain serving and your Bonus Calories, if needed. Blot excess oil off the pizza with a napkin before eating.
. . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 145.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #118  

Welcome Cammie-C and Amyquadruple8! This is such a good place to come to because everyone is dealing with the same issues and is trying to work with the same solution. Understanding. Empathy. Support.

Me? Still trying to get back onto Beck. I did have an ok food day yesterday, I did weigh myself this morning, I have read my advantage cards, I have a food plan for today, and this morning I was at the gym for a mere 30 min...but I was there and I do put it all to cardio vascular work. I know I can, I know I can, I know I can.
Susan

Bye for now.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #119  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Compliments of Facebook, I was humbled as I was tagged in my brothers' wedding photos from 2005. A kind friend said it looked like my "bigger" twin sister, yet in a way that I felt good about my progress. My WL is slow but I am grateful to be muchos pounds lighter 8 years down this road. I believe Beck Diet Solution, my acceptance of a healthy food plan and my daily contact with my WL buddies to be the key to my continued success. credit us all~

to Cammie-Cam and Amy8888! Glad you both decided to hop on in here!

Cammie-Cam, my life is very busy, hectic and often unpredictable. I have found that a daily check in w/online coaches and my South Beach Diet group have really helped transform my relationship with food into a more sane and predictable experience. I second BillBlueEyes suggestion regarding finding time to check in without feeling any necessity of responding personally to any of the other coaches/buddies in the group. My take that Dr. Becks suggestion of a daily check in is a very strong component of our changing our food behaviors long term. Best wishes during your busy time.

Well, coaches, I'm still sick but have to take mom to Denver....again. This time for a meeting. She will go by herself if I do not take her, which is usually when she gets hurt. I have planned a solo lunch and will go to the DPL for knitting and !finally! checking out "Does This Clutter Make Me Look Fat", by P. Walsh. Since the Denver Art Museum is next door I might treat myself to a new puzzle, since it is one of my more successful distraction techniques via my Beck Distraction List.

Interesting, I am finding that I really don't have much desire to eat, or especially to overeat right now. I can't taste food clearly and do believe that my cognitive therapy is working in that I am choosing not to eat what I can't taste (as opposed to the shovel it all in and never taste a thing approach-which I did for years).lol.

Interesting, also, is following up on comments by gardenerjoy months ago regarding losing weight slowly and giving the body time to adjust to a lower setpoint. I have that 5# up and down "maintenance" number and lately I seem to be spot on a lower number no matter what my prior few days intake is. I'm happy for that and continue my journey.*credit*

Interesting, I've been watching TV whilst ill and DH is gone. On Dr.Oz he was discussing 5 biggest energy zappers.....one is !!!CLUTTER!!! Like I don't really know that in my life right now and in that spirit I have gotten rid of a few more things and may mini purge again before my drive today.

Anyway, best wishes to you all, I think of you all often during my days. I'm sure hoping to feel better very soon and look forward onebyone's tape butterfly picture.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 04-20-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hi All!

Crazy busy at work with this. I have a 100th anniversary party for a corporate client tomorrow with 1600 guests and lots of last minute details to get together.

Weight is stable right now, not getting enough exercise but don't move from my desk much right now. I'll make up for my missing steps from the week when I'm on my feet from 10am to 9pm tomorrow! Better make an appointment with DH for a nice foot massage after that.

Will try and get back on Sunday for personals. Weather is supposed to be really nice and I need to get my living room and kitchen windows cleaned before having 22 guests over on April 28 for my parents 50th wedding anniversary party. Oh so much to do. As long as I don't decide to eat because of everything I'll be good.

Have a great weekend.
Closed Thread