Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #91  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Hello all!

Ok. I have a question (and will probably have a lot more!!). Who did you pick as your diet coach and why?

Hint: To try and eat slower, eat with your non-dominate hand (use paper towels for bibs)

Today ate good on my plan, only draw back is I ate lunch too fast (did not use my non-dominate hand, at work and can't afford to wear most of my lunch)

In my diet journal I am going to put one side of the page as a Credit(positive) and the facing page as Withdrawl (negative) and see what the outcome is at the end of each day.

Have a blessed day all.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #92  
I am more than weight.

Default Insomnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamatga View Post
I decided to check in before I head to bed. I am hoping that I will be able to get back to posting more frequently. catholiccajun (love your avatar) and hikergirl.

onebyone, gardenerjoy, beverlyjoy, BBE and lexxiss for meeting your mini and end goals.

My report is I am treading water so to speak. I "credit" that with the fact that I have gone through several weeks of RA flare-up, had to return to my former med schedule only to find out that it is now ineffective. I have alternated between no sleep for 36 hours to sleeping 12+ hours at a time. I have purposely been either staying up or getting up so I can at least sleep part of the afternoon and call it a "nap". All parts of me hurt.

Credit: ordering Peggy Cappy's yoga for "the rest of us" (primarily older, arthritic and overweight people---gee, that sounds just like me, who would have thought that?) My back has been just plain killing me the past several days no matter what position my body is in.

Credit:
in persisting to self-teach myself how to knit. I used to crochet decades ago but we have a prayer shawl ministry at our church and I thought the hand work would do wonders for my aching inflamed arms. Wrong! It made it worse. However, I ordered a Knitting 101, based on reviews I read, and I am determined to finish a shawl for a cancer patient here in town by Mother's Day. I picked out the softest deep lavender.

Credit: in achieving balance most days in spite of the insomnia, the body pain and the general all over discouragement from all of that. I will not quit. I am seeing this through to the end, no matter when that end will be.

Things are going very well with the other group I am leading. We are wrapping up the second challenge for this year and we will begin the third one on March 23rd. I am using the pink book as part of the challenge. It will run the length of the days listed in the pink book.

Everything less pretty much has been coming to a halt or slowed down dramatically because of the RA inflammation.

Hope everyone is well here. It sounds like you are by your posts.

Take care,

Pam
Hello there. Have you ever tried Melatonin for insomnia? It has worked wonders for me. I take 3mg/night, it is a natrual supplement and non-addictive. Have a blessed day.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone!

I have had a couple of good days OP and finally saw a change of signficance on the scale, down 1.8, a start to my 10 pound goal.

I have had 2 successful restaurant meals, had the salmon wellington on Wed night and ordered with rice and double veggies and it was just the right amount. I had a serving of frozen yogurt when I got home, it was a much better dessert choice. Today we went out for an office lunch and I ordered a poached lobster omelet which came with salad. It fit perfectly with my low-carb eating plan, none of us ordered dessert and I'm not chewing my Extra Desserts Delight mint chocolate gum.

Credit to me also for lots of teenage drama in our household right now and I have not eaten over it once. I am hoping to keep that going over the weekend.

catholiccajun Everyone on this board plays the role of my diet coaches and buddies. It's easier to have a large network of people to fill the role as then we don't all feel so overwhelmed by the task and there is a lot of support and different views on how to handle things. It also means that when we don't have time to answer each and every question or concern someone else in the group will be in a good place to help out. There are many days when I come to the site to read and see how everyone is doing and add a short message about how things are going for me without feeling like I have to respond to personals.

pamatga Happy to see a note from you. I was thinking about you during the recent bad weather in your area. Sorry to hear how your RA is affecting you right now. Sending big your way!

maryann I really struggled with WW for the last 6 months that I followed it and got quite discouraged by gaining and losing the same 3 pounds over and over again. I know it's a successful program for some but the new plan never worked for me. I decided to do the calorie counting route and that helped things along. Now I've switched to a low-carb and have found that getting the refinded foods and most of the sugar out of my diet makes me feel so much better physically. My goal of being in the 150's by 50 (without stating a specific number) is not a huge amount weight-wise, but I also know myself well enough to realize that I need to realistic about this and 1 year ago I would have never believed that I could be in the 160's and stay there. Slow and steady steps.

hikergirl7 Good job on the dinner out. Do you find that the action of grabbing candy from the bowl is an automatic response to it because you always did it and maybe your not even cognizant that it's happening? I find in certain situations it's just a habit that I don't even realize I'm doing until the food is in my mouth and then I wonder what the heck??

Lexxiss Good job on developing new thin for life exercises and routines.

BBE Who would think that a 46 calorie kiwi could lead to a bad eating decision! But a calorie is a calorie right and it's not keeping track of them that can lead to trouble. I hope you have very enjoyable electronics free weekend!

gardenerjoy Credit for a good OP day, ouch for your hernia surgery site!

onebyone Yay for being so close to the 250's. It's funny how much "weight" is lifted once you can get into a lower decade. I feel like you have done a lot of personal growth in your recent posts and I believe your trip to KW was a big factor. It must be great to feel the creative juices flowing again!

Hi to everyone else that is about and hope all have a great St Paddy's day. Watch out for the green beer.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #94  
I am more than weight.

Thanks Tazzy for the information. I am debating about asking my husband to also be my coach, don't know if that will work out or not, but since we are together A LOT, we work together, he would know me better than anyone else, and that may be or may not be a good thing-LOl. But anyway all of you are a blessing and I will come and check in as often as work and time permits. Have a blessed day.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beckies/coaches/buddies - yesterday was a mostly healthful day. I accomplished many of my goals. I woke up in the middle of the night with an awful stomach ache. I ate some unplanned crackers - it helped. (along with Maalox and Pepto). I ate raw apples yesterday... I don't think I am ready for that, I guesss. Sigh.

I did my journalling yesterday, lots of water, planned/measured/logged food, always left a bite, worked on slowing down & tasting the food, tried to 'feel' the food in my stomach, read my cards, stretches & strengthening and more.

Need to work on fork down between each bite, eat sitting only, giving credit, using my resistance techniques and more.

CajunCatholic - nice to see you here! My gut feeling about having DH as your coach is a No. It would put him in the position of kind of watching what you eat and always having an opinion on it all. I do think, however, DH can be supportive and helpful just by knowing what your program includes.

Have a great weekend everyone... treat yourself as well as you would treat a good friend.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-16-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #96  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Friday

Hi Coaches

Nice day today. Wow. Feels summery. Patio evening weather. So great. I was at the guild today and made a garden ornament; a robot. It's going to be raku fired so it has a long way to go to be done yet.

Foodwise I was on plan. so a good day. I may have the use of a bike soon. yay. and my frined asked me to go play golf with her. I said yes though it makes me lol to think of me golfing.

Ok must go. The wii fit said I was back up that pesky 0.7lb or whatever that was. Oh well. All that matters is I track my food, move my body, and stick to my plan.

Must go. Have a good night.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #97  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone tomorrow! We're paying more attention than usual since we're going to Ireland this year. Here's my written food plan for supper tomorrow night:
-fish (we're going to the seafood store to pick up something that swims in the Atlantic)
-colcannon (using the recipe on The Healthy Irishman's blog)
-salad
-a sip of Irish whiskey
-one Irish beer

WI: -0.1 kgs (new low), Exercise:+85 555/1400 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I hope you find a plan to fit your kiwi fruit. I went to New Zealand once and kiwi have since been a favorite. I bought kiwi today and put one in my plan for breakfast tomorrow -- it's green, after all!

Lexxiss: glad you're getting some nice walking weather -- I wondered if our unseasonable warmth was making it up the mountains for you.

hikergirl: I'm interested in what you learned from the cheat sheet. As I recall, it took me awhile to get over the habit of leaving a restaurant overly full. I would do my tricks for leaving half the meal behind, and then undo some because I wasn't full yet. The solution, for me, ended up being not eating out for awhile until I recalibrated how I wanted to feel after a meal. Then, when I did start going out again, I had standard meals that I ordered at each of our favorite restaurants and didn't vary what I ate.

maryann: hope you had a good afternoon of writing!

CatholicCajun: I use this group as my diet coach. Collectively, they have an astounding amount of wisdom! My husband and I don't do that kind of coaching for each other. We find it's better to look outside of our relationship when tackling personal self-improvement projects in order not to complicate things. A bit of cheerleading works for us, but coaching does not.

Tazzy: yay for seeing a drop on the scale! Good job on the restaurant meals.

Beverlyjoy: glad to see all of your successes. I've been doing the fork down between bites and it's really helping me be a bit more attentive.

onebyone: yay for a good day all-in-all. Love this: All that matters is I track my food, move my body, and stick to my plan.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good to be home this morning. I hope to write write write and then take a nice walk. Logged food. Sauteed cabbage yesterday. It felt good to get a lot of veggies in me.
Tazzy: I hear you about the low carbs. That is how I lost the last weight on the Zone. Carbs have reappeared with a vengeance since I rejoined WW. I am getting back to Zone balance today. And a pound a month means I will be home in six months
Beverleyjoy and Pamatga: Thoughts to you both as you heal.
Lexxiss: Terrific to buy two books. That is really set excellent priorities and taking care of yourself.
Catholic Cajun: I use this web site as a diet coach. It has worked for me. Friends and family are too close. I need to be honest without personal twists and pulls.
onebyone and Gardenerjoy: Credit for achievements - low weight and low blood pressure.

Last edited by maryann; 03-17-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #99  

Height: 5'6"

Hi there,
Yesterday was a good Beck day and a good day over all. Good.

Maryann – perspective, gratitude and perseverence – thank you, I will repeat those words throughout the day
Catholic Cajun – my diet buddy is this forum (you folks!). Interesting concept about eating with the non-dominant hand
Tazzy – congratulations. You have much to celebrate. Weight loss and managing your meals out. Yes, indeed, it was habit that caused me to grab the candies. I do hope to manage/eliminate those habits on this Beck programme.
Beverlyjoy – Hi!
Onebyone – You must be in Central Canada (warm weather and all). I am in BC and it has not been warm here.
Gardenerjoy - Wonderful meal plan for dinner. The cheat sheet combined with having to check into this forum helped. One of the first questions on the cheat sheet is “what was the situation and what were my sabotaging thoughts? “ then “Did I eat this food slowly, while sitting down and enjoying every bite?” I will not bore you with the answers…but they helped. Yes, I probably do have to avoid dinners out, but it really is a way for me to socialize (I know, I know…I could cook and entertain people at home…but……)
Old 03-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #100  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

My day has already taken a long detour...I have to remember, though, that I have already accomplished many things. I did everything I needed to do for everyone else this morning including a project for both mom and DH AND going out for breakfast with them. credit
I enjoyed a new hot tea while everyone else at the table snarfed big breakfasts. We are having corned beef (from Whole Foods) and cabbage later today and I could either have breakfast or my home cooked meal. I remembered hunger was not an emergency and came home and promptly made my "usual" smoothie.

Frustration: couldn't sign into my email w/AOL this morning....just took two hours to fix it....didn't eat over it. (YET)
Solution:
Make a list to get back on track with my day
1. Need to do my 20 min. stretching exercises before embarking on my "project".
~will allow myself to put our dinner in the slow cooker AND get clutter picked up before exercising.
2. Write down my meal plan by the fridge....even though I already KNOW what it is....the habit of doing it is important.
3. Start my sanding project KNOWING it will not be finished today.
4. Set a finish time for my project and stick with it.

Credit for continued patience with myself.

everyone! I wish I were in the headspace for personals...am agitated right now. I had a very long day in Denver w/mom yesterday. I need to get to me!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yesterday was a healthy day - I am so grateful. I needed to get it 'under my belt" (no pun intended) For me, when I do get in a healthful day - it gives me something to build on.

I accomplished many goals, some were: plan/measure/log food, no seconds, leave a bite, really worked on slowing down/feelingfullness/tasting the food, weighed, journalled, read my ARC/RC, and more. The most important thing I did was a meditation. Credit.

I when I ate dinner, I ate slowly and made it last 22 minutes. CREDIT

I did eat while standing a couple of times - less than the day before, however.

I hope you are all having a good weekend.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to come back to the forum for the extra accountability that all of you give members. I look forward to catching up with everyone and talking with you again.

I've been losing touch with my Beck skills for about a year now, and my weight has reflected this. All the excuses I've used all my life are now almost a daily voice in my head. "I'll start again on Monday", "I don't care", "I can't control this", "Food just tastes so good", "It is too much trouble to follow a plan", and on and on. It has been really hard to push these thoughts away and get back to thinking helpful things instead.

So, I'm here to work on it and rebuild the habits I had before.

I will make a food plan for tomorrow, plan my exercise, and review my helpful thoughts. I will also visit this forum daily, and read my Beck books daily.

Whew, there it is.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #103  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

A month or so ago, I said I wanted to try on 165 as a weight, to see how it felt. And just a few weeks ago, I was sure I would never make it. Today, I'm there! I'm not entirely sure how to explain this most recent loss, except that it fits a pattern that my body likes certain weights and not others and I seem to have slipped into a range of the scale my body doesn't like.

I gave up Diet Coke during my vacation and have managed to keep that eliminated from my daily intake. I thought in the past that I lost weight more easily when I wasn't drinking the stuff, but then I lost the bulk of my weight while continuing to drink it, so I wasn't sure. But, now, I've lost 5 pounds in the 10 days since I quit drinking it. Hmmm. I didn't lose weight that fast when I had a lot more to lose!

WI: -0.25kgs (new low), Exercise:+35 590/1400 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome back, Woodland! As you know, this is a good place to be.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #104  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey everyone!

I'm so sorry I've been so MIA but this 40 Days of Yoga challenge has been all consuming when adding it to the normal ebb and flow of family and professional life. It's been a fascinating experience. Last Saturday I did a Master Class with Mark White which was, um, intense. I left in a completely neutral state. Totally, completely neutral. I'm fatigued both physically and emotionally but it's all part of the process.

The last two weeks have focused on 1) Mindfullness and then 2) Vitality (bringing breath to everything possible; practice, relationships, yourself). This coming week is equanimity which should prove interesting for a full blooded Italian LOL!

I can't report weight numbers as I don't won't have them until April 19th or so. My nutritionist was thrilled with last week though, so that was a good sign. I am likely getting on my bike today for the first time in several weeks so it will be interesting to see how all the yoga will affect my riding.

The meditation practice has proved challenging at times, but I'm sticking with it.

Credit to everyone for showing up and doing the work. A WARM WELCOME TO THE NEW KIDS! I look forward to getting to know you and following your journeys.

Nameste
Old 03-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #105  

Height: 5'6"

Hello.
I had a decent Beck day yesterday. No compulsive overeating for me now for 5 full days. That is excellent for me and my body. I did eat standing up this morning and need to stop that. The situation was that I was in a hurry and I was not really aware of what I was doing until immediately afterwards.
Lexxis: what is in your “usual smoothie”?
Beverlyjoy: momentum!
Woodland: a big credt!! to you for catching it early.
Gardenerjoy: congratulations, congratulations. Inspiration, inspiration!
Donamari: sounds like the 40 days of yoga is a wonderful compliment to what your stats say you have been very good at!!
Closed Thread