Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 AM   #136  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I used Beverlyjoy's notion to plan extra fruit for my evening snack. Thus, my day was 100% on-plan, CREDIT moi. My head is back in its socket and I can decide how to plan future days. Dinner was corned beef and cabbage - a late St. Patrick's Day. Before my journey, I would always have several thick slices of corned beef. I love that stuff. Last night, I had one, and that felt just right. CREDIT moi again.

Walked (CREDIT moi), again in short sleeves. (DW cautions against packing up all winter clothes just yet.) Saw my first Red-winged Blackbird of the year, and several Tree Swallows checking out nesting sites. Yep, it's spring.

onebyone – AWESOME Kudos for making it to the evening aquatics class. So neat that it's a good fit for you. And Kudos again for cleaning up the cat event. "Persist in Victory."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's great to make it though "an unpredictable evening" - so many of those.

Beverlyjoy – LOL at the image of you telling Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly - I love that story. Kudos for continuing with your slow meals. [Thanks for the tip about planning extra fruit.]

Woodland - Mexican Restaurants are a challenge - Kudos for making choices and for recognizing that the bigger challenge is to avoid the "secretive sneaky binge."

Susan (hikergirl) – Yep, initially a sane approach to food consumes a bunch of time. But, it does become less as the planning becomes very brief and food prep becomes easier. But quick, cheap food with high calories and low nutrition will always loom. Kudos for 8 days.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
After the Event
14. Weigh yourself tomorrow morning - no matter what! . . .
Elise had a history of yo-yo dieting. She was good at following her plan as long as she followed her predictable routine: eating most of her food at home, where she had control. But when she ate out and food was less controllable, she frequently made poor choices and overate; they she would continue to overeat when she came home. Afterward she would feel guilty and ashamed, sure that she had gained 4 or 5 pounds (a vast overestimation). She would avoid the scale for a week. Knowing she wouldn't weigh in for a while, she would loosen up. At the next weigh-in, the number on the scale often was up by several pounds.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 137.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #137  

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone. A good day yesterday. Very focused on my work. Decent eating. Decent exercise. Slow and steady wins the race.
Woodland --- excellent, excellent that you did not have a sneaky binge day when the situation could have called for it (based on past habits)
Gardenerjoy—impressively consistent exercise minutes every day.
BBE – thank you for the Beck post at the bottom…it is so “ me”. I will be having those challenges in the coming weeks (uncontrolled eating situations) and need to make sure that I do not catastrophize and have it be the start of a slide for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #138  

S/C/G: wk#1/ -2lbs/ 1lb a week

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I am mailing my projects today - 43 pages. The next is due in thee weeks. I have certainly been discouraged this past week.
Credit: not letting stress affect DS. He is happy and healthy and life is its normal huge adventure. DH has taken some of the tornado of me but less than normal. Continuing to find ways to achieve balance when I am such a perfectionist. Called in sick yesterday. Didn't drive two hours for music lessons. We can do that next week.Went to bed early. Etc.... Really struggling with the willingness to write down food, sit down eating, exercise. I am focusing on little steps. Weighed in today. Weight is the same as last week. I will do 30 min of stairclimber today. I teach art this afternoon in DS class. I will sauté up a bunch of cabbage. Made an appt. to get a pedicure and massage - DH gift to me for Valentine's Day. Hopefully, all that should do the trick of getting me back on center.
BBE: We are going to spend three days in Acadia. Very excited.
Woodland: I hear you about subversive eating. I am sneaking into the fridge even when there is no one to see me.
Beverleyjoy: Glad to hear you are working the principles.
Lexxiss: I am going to follow your examples and weigh and measure today.

Last edited by maryann; 03-22-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks/coaches/buddies - I had a healthy day until right at bedtime. It was literally a moment before going to bed. I have an evening medicine to take at bedtime. I always take it with a bite of food so I don't get sick to my stomach. Well, that cracker started a 'frenzy' within myself - I gave into it - and ate a big bowl of cereal and milk. I had been using my resistance techniques all day and didn't have the willingness to push through at bedtime. Man, I felt awful afterwards. It just isn't worth it, really. Sigh.

I've decided to change up my food plan a bit. I use food exchanges. I have been trying to work with four starch exchanges daily. (this does not include fruit)It just can't work. I need to take five starch exchanges & delete one protein exchange. I kind of was taking my own advice. When billbe was wanting to have fruit in the evening and struggled not to eat it. I said to plan for it. He said that it worked well for him. Knock knock - who's there. I'll do this for myself too and swap out exchanges to have five starch. It sure makes planning easier. I am thinking/hoping this will help me live better with my daily plan. I'll let you know.

gardenerjoy - good planning ahead to save calories for your outing. Credit!

Woodland - credit to you for giving half your supper to dh. It feels good when it's planned in a way so it doesn't feel bingey.

onebyone - you have so many credits. I know you are feeling stressed on many levels, but didn't eat over it. That's wonderful progress (for any of us, really)

billbe- I am so glad the planned evening fruit worked well for you to have an op day instead of a struggle. I took my own advice and switched up my plan too.- but, still within the perimeters of my plan. Wonderful to know how life has changed for you... with regard of food eaten now and in the past. Credit!

hikergirl - "slow and steady wins the race'" is a great approach!

maryann - finding balance is a huge credit! Glad to hear your weight stayed the same. Hope you find your Beck mojo again...thank goodness you are managing.

I hope you are all having a good day.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #140  
persist

S/C/G: 290/291/150

Height: 5' 6"

Angry aw, crumbs.

Hello Coaches

In the spirit of total honesty with you all, I am admitting to the not-made-from-scratch-but-bought-in-the-dairy-section-type-of-cookie-making-stuff that was hanging out in the fridge for a few months which I found myself baking this afternoon, as a means to escape feelings of failure (promised honesty requires me to reveal this as well coaches). In trying to calculate the WW points values for these items, the serving size is "1/18th of a package or 26g"
1/18th. I ate a little over half the pack. 1/18=3pts so 10 of them = 30pts.
Oh well.
It is the start of my new week, so I can actually fit that points hit into my plan and remain on plan for the week. I did weigh-in this morning and saw 263.0. I am 0.2 up from last week. Still have not reached my low weight at my last WW weigh-in in Key West; 261.2. This feels sooooo frustrating and keeps playing on my emotions "you'll never get under 260" is a favorite sabotaging thought and so far, I say to myself, "You're right."
I need a substitute thought there, not the one which supports my pre-destined failure! Ugh! 's!

And my clean up today just stalled out.
I'm in the middle and I feel like I cannot see the end of any of my messes as well as being unable to see that darn scale move.

Of course, if I continue eating like I did this afternoon, I will see the scale move; it will move up and I would rather stay at this weight than move up so I have to get back on track right now.

I have a guild meeting tonight but I am leaving early to go to an aquabics class. I was on the fence about it but now I have given into my indulgence this afternoon. That's a habit I can't feed. Aquabics is a good habit to instill... and it was fun last night so why wouldn't it be fun today?

I definitely need more fun.
And more RL friends to talk to.

*credits*
weighing in
reporting honsestly to my coaches
getting back on track
planning exercise
continuing to clean up my living space

Last edited by onebyone; 03-22-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #141  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

My week has been slam-packed. Wow. I have been in major caretaking mode although I do find a few moments for myself. credit. I have managed to stick pretty close to plan although I did taste 2 jordan almonds at Costco, knowing full well what they tasted like. One of my favorites....credit for not buying them. My East house Beck book arrived today...great news...I've been missing it. I'm glad I don't have to pack it anymore. I've had lots and lots of spontaneous exercise, including about an hour of fast walking at the mall as I looked for a certain bag.

All the talk of fruit, I remembered I hadn't eaten my planned Sumo mandarin I had packed for Denver. I sat upstairs and enjoyed it actually more than I would have earlier in the day.

Take care everyone! I am reading posts...I'm just behind as I strive to take care of what's right in front of me.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #142  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Thursday

Hi Everyone,

Today ended up good, both with food and exercise. I was tempted once to grab something off plan but was better able to hear the sabotaging thoughts and counter them. I heard "I just can't be good today", "One day off won't matter", then said "I will measure this and count this food because it does matter", and "I don't want to feel terrible later". I did my exercises even though my back was a bit sore from Tuesday's time on the medicine ball.

gardenerjoy: "good enough" is a nice phrase.

BillBlueEyes: "that felt just right" is a satisfying thought

hikergirl: Looks like today was a great day for you! Great job !!

maryann: Big congrats on your writing in the mail. I hope you enjoy your spa time!

Beverlyjoy: lol, "knock knock"

onebyone: Do you read your Beck book very often? I ask because in the past few months when I wasn't doing very well, I know I couldn't hear the skills in my head much. Then, I picked up the books and started looking at them everyday again. Suddenly, I was able to hear the skills more rapidly when I needed them.

Lexxiss: Are you in the Glenwood Springs pool in your picture? I've been there once and loved it.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:55 AM   #143  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - On-plan for eating, CREDIT moi, included lunch with some longtime friends. Ordered a grilled piece of cod on a bun and . . . ignored the bun. Doing well in a restaurant always feels good. Out and about again in a short sleeved knit shirt in 80 degree F weather. Continues to feel like we're missing a season.

Walked (CREDIT moi) to the library to get an instructional DVD for freestyle swimming. I'm convinced that I can improve my swimming technique over what I taught myself as a young boy, since I'm not able to swim for long stretches without getting tired. Suspecting that there's some advantage to doing it right, LOL.

onebyone – Kudos for not catastrophizing and for squeezing Aquabics into your plan for the day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at "knowing full well what they tasted like" - gotta remember that taking a sample of a known food is just nibbling. Haven't had a Sumo mandarin - don't recall seeing them.

Beverlyjoy – LOL at "Knock knock." Kudos for adjusting your food plan as needed.

maryann - Feels good just reading, " Continuing to find ways to achieve balance."

Woodland - Love your Helpful Responses to the Sabotaging Thoughts, especially, "I don't want to feel terrible later."

Susan (hikergirl) – Yep, "Slow and steady wins the race." I, too, feel that just knowing that I'm not going to catastrophize makes my progress more secure.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
After the Event
14. Weigh yourself tomorrow morning - no matter what! . . .
Once Elise started weighing herself every day, she found two things: One, if she did make a mistake and overate one day, the number on the scale was only a pound or two more than the previous day, and she would lose this extra weight within a week. Two, it was far easier to get back on track immediately after arriving home than it was if she continued to overeat that night and in the following days.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 137.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #144  

Height: 5'6"

Hi. Well, yesterday was a bit of a new adventure for me. I did not overeat. I did not “diet”. I ate “normally?”. Whatever “normal” is. I feel “unsure” about it. Hmmm. TBD. Today the scale was up (only .3 lbs…but potentially enough to reinforce that yesterday was not “good”. Hmmm. Stay tuned.
Mary-Ann: yes, “little steps”. Every little step is a credit and they add up.
Beverlyjoy: credit to you for tweaking/changing the food exchanges. See how it works.
Woodland: Great that you had a good day!
Onebyone: keep at it. I know that you can do it.
Lexxis: you sound like you are in a good (albeit busy) “place”.
BBE: yes, knowing that I will not catastrophize does make me feel more secure. May, I make a suggestion regarding your swimming (based on my personal experience)….get a trained person to observe your swimming stroke and make some suggestions. Then, a few days/weeks/ later get them to look again (making more adjustments if need be). I was fortunate enough to join a “swim for fitness” group at my local recreation centre. The centre provided one of their employees (trained swimmer) to loosely supervise us and this person made some very effective suggestions to me on a regular basis (I had told her that I wanted to get more efficient and to make any suggestions to me that she felt appropriate when appropriate). It made a huge difference to me. Now, if I just didn’t hate getting wet. I don’t like jumping into a pool regularly. But, wow, with tweaking,your stroke becomes so much more effective and it is not a slog to swim lengths.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #145  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

TGIF!

Well I feel like I'm just coasting along here not doing anything productive. I do weigh everyday and write it down, looked at my calendar since Dec when I hit my low weight and I have maintained within 2 pounds since then. Guess I have some maintenance skills in place, just 15 pounds earlier than I planned to use them! I need to re-focus and re-commit to my goals, I have to start my weighing and measuring my food again as I'm sure that's one of the factors. I also need to get my exercise back on track. I have my last Zumba class on Sunday for this session, I need to see when the next sessions start and join them. As much as I'd like to get my bike out again it's too early here. BBE Hope your weather lasts, we had really nice weather last week and are now in the depths of winter storms again, snow yesterday and predicted to start this morning. I'm ready for our non-winter (it wasn't bad at all) to be over and spring to really be here.

I have also updated my ticker to the my current weight, I need to be accountable for that and looking at the 30 pounds loss chickee avatar is not helping me. So the number is changed and the avatar will be as well.

Hope to get back for personals over the weekend.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #146  

S/C/G: wk#1/ -2lbs/ 1lb a week

Height: 5'6

Tazzy: I have decided to keep my avatar up to date as well. I change it on the first of the month to reflect where I am, not where I think I should be if there was no water weight, no bloat, no blah. blah. blah. I need to live in truth.
Lexxiss: Glad you book arrived. Little things like that make a big difference.
onebyone: It sounds like you are really struggling to re adjust after Key West. Maybe the support of the WW meeting would be helpful during this transition time.
BBE: Congrats on the Cod- no bun. I have to seriously look at starches (like Beverleyjoy)
Call out "Heh" to hiker chick and Woodland

Massage was nice. My toes look good. My mind is still going on overtime so I didn't hit the relaxed stage. it is funny how spiritual and mental health is an inside job. I can't fix things with spas or foods or shopping. Reorganizing my Project 333 wardrobe (three months, 33 pieces of wardrobe). You are allowed a few switch outs with season changing so out went the wool sweaters and in went the spring sweaters. On the whole, I feel it is successful in forcing me to realize how much extras stuff I have. I have two spring suits for the big switchover in April but I need to be down five pounds to wear them. Maybe that is a nice spring incentive.

Last edited by maryann; 03-23-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #147  
persist

S/C/G: 290/291/150

Height: 5' 6"

Smile and we move ever forward.

Coaches

Guess I needed that frustrating kind of day yesterday as I woke up today feeling much better and ready to move forward. *Big Credit* for getting all the dishes done finally. Not just done, but the kitchen is re-organized. What's left to do is the floor-[washing it]--clearing off the counter -- [about 1/3 done] -- and cleaning the toaster and the back of the stove. I did the stovetop a few days ago (I'll take a *credit* for that rright now). My to-do list has a few more checkmarks on it

On top of this, I cooked lunch and was wondering how to divvy up my portions when it came to me to use the glass pyrex foodsavers that I just washed and to just simply spoon stuff into them until only some is left in the pan. I filled 2-2cup containers and had a 1 cup serving left over so that's what I ate. I now have two portions ready for lunch or dinner this week--or I could freeze them. I am thinking I may get another set of these glass pyrex foodsavers. They are really handy--especially if they are clean and at hand. (Hello?)

*credit* also for weighing this morning =+1.8 = 264.8

Tomorrow we are going to a Maple Syrup festival. Lucky for me I am not into maple syrup so I do not anticipate a problem foodwise. Others are really anticipating the pancake meal. I don't even like pancakes so I think I'll do fine. There is walking involved too so I should get some unplanned exercise.

DH came home yesterday with an envelope from work. He got an unexpected $ bonus from work. I can rejoin WW anytime. I think I will still try to stay away this week, see how this goes. I could use the $ that I would pay for WW every month to go towards a storage locker instead. I am using that for added incentive to stay onplan.
Whatever works eh Coaches?
What-ev-er-works.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks...coaches...buddies.....

Yesterday was a very; healthy day - I am so grateful for that. Swapping out one protein exchange for a starch exchange made planning so much easier. I did well with the change. I hope it continues. Today is going well too.

Yesterday's credits:
plan/measure/log foods
lots of water
did my exercises
always left a bite
worked on really tasting the food
tried to slow down - better
gave myself credit for staying with my plan

I didn't read, or journal much, and ate a few times while cooking with tastes along the way. But... I am thinking about it and striving for it.

I hope you all have a GREAT day. Share a smile, be kind and pass it on.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Smile Friday

Hi Everyone,

My day was packed full. I biked, walked, baked, and walked some more. Today I tried making crackers before my usual bread baking activity. I was pleased with how they came out and will try adding more spices next time. Exercise was the recumbent bike again.

I'm thinking of starting a ticker for myself that counts days on plan. That will include eating at or under my food units, and accomplishing my planned daily exercise. I think it could be a way to give myself more accountability. Does something like this work for any of you?

BillBlueEyes: Credit for finding a way to use some brain power on an exercise challenge (swimming technique). Sometimes it can feel like exercise routines get pretty repetitive, so thanks for the reminder to change it up sometimes.

hikergirl: Credit for thinking about how a day's meals made you feel.

Tazzy: I'm with you on re-committing.

maryann: I like this sentiment: "I can't fix things with spas or foods or shopping"

onebyone: Yeah for check marks !

Beverlyjoy: Credit to you for finding a way to make your planning easier.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #150  
Green Tomatoes

Today and for the weekend, I'm doing an on-line bootcamp to support my writing. I had moments today when I really wanted to eat rather than tackle the next bit I needed to do. I said "I'm not going to do that" and made it through. The hardest part is probably over so I should be able to do well for the rest of the weekend.

WI: +0.45 kgs, Exercise:+25 825/1400 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I second hikergirl's suggestion on the swimming instruction. My husband did that and found it very helpful.

Tazzy: good attitude about the weight loss stall. I had a couple of those on the way down -- one as long as yours has been. I like variety, so what finally got it going for me was switching to a different plan for awhile, the one in the back of Beck's green book. Also, someone here posted an article about a school of thought that says one should lose about 10% and then pause and maintain for six months before trying again. I think The Step Diet by James O. Hill, et. al. has a similar concept, but more like three months. The idea is to let the metabolism and habits all kind of settle in. That made me feel better that I might actually be doing something good by stalling.

Beverlyjoy: so glad that your swap of exchanges worked! I've done exactly the same thing. Back and forth a few times, actually. Sometimes tilting it to the protein side gets the weight loss going again. At other times, tilting it to the starch side gets the willingness to stick with the program going again. Either way, I generally see both a loss and a re-commitment when I make the change.

Woodland: tracking works for me. I haven't tried counting days on plan, but I think it would work. My exercise minutes for the month works for me (well, most months; this month isn't looking good). And grading my percentage of on plan works. I kind of keep a longer term tracking on that percentage in my head. If I go very many days without a 90% or 100% score, I redouble my effort to get one.
Closed Thread