Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #166  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I managed to write, exercise, and eat on plan today. I knew it had to be possible! I'd like to do it again tomorrow.

I also got some exciting, positive feedback on my project idea. And I didn't eat over it. Didn't even really think about eating over it. So, credit for that, because in the past news like this that's equal parts scary and exciting have often driven me straight to food.

WI: -0.55 kgs, Exercise:+65 910/1400 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: yay for extra credits and bird watching on the same day! I'm going to side with DW and Lexxiss on the leg thing :-)

Lexxiss: creating an environment that works for you is so important. Good job!

maryann: Love this: savoring the feeling of treating myself kindly by NOT overeating. I think until you get healthy, you get special permission to write instead of exercise. When you're feeling better, we can work on it together!

fyreflie24: I'm really enjoying the reports of your experience. It sounds so special and rewarding.

onebyone: sorry for the painful bits I'm sensing in your post, but good for you for figuring out what works and pushing forward. I'm looking forward to cheering the 25x number!

Tazzy: I can recommend some yoga DVDs if you're interested. I have problems in the same areas, but more joint and tendon than nerve, so I don't know that what helped me would help you.

CatholicCajun: glad you got some real chicken soup!

Woodland: Good job recognizing that your tally of days on plan was too restrictive and coming up with a different way of measuring. I find it so helpful to measure and track and tally, but it takes a bit of time and creativity to figure out the exact way that's going to work best for me.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #167  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - On plan with food, CREDIT moi. Little exercise as I moan about my calf. Will go to the doctor today where I expect to be told to put ice on it and be patient. Maybe take an aspirin.

For lunch I had two plates of salad with chunks of turkey, turning down some carb laden choices, CREDIT moi. It wasn't a perfect meal, but good enough. The key for me is to avoid that feeling that I can eat anything and can do that continuously.

onebyone – Ouch for having to confront the pictures that you don't like. Kudos for taking that as inspiration rather than an excuse to eat.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for the hat trick, "write, exercise, and eat on plan."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I wish my first thought wasn't, I'll take home that Bacon/Potato Soup, LOL. Kudos "for not using busy or stressed."

maryann - Yay for mac and cheese; my history with DW's super yummy version - taken from, of all places, Consumer Reports - was two or three servings. Large servings. She doesn't make it much anymore, thank goodness. Kudos for making it and showing restraint. [Thanks for reminding me of Holden Caulfield.]

Tazzy - LOL at the chocolate mini-eggs chasing you on Friday into the kitchen. Kudos for your response.

Woodland - Kudos for an expedition that didn't consume extra food. My FIL was famous for building mini greenhouses and micro greenhouses out of left over stuff. He was a fabulous gardener.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Congrats on reaching your half way point on the 40 day challenge. And Kudos for reaching a "huge difference in my overall being." Double Kudos for choosing a DH who noted that and told you.

CatholicCajun – Yay for food cooked by Louisiana men - good food is just in the air in your part of the world.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
Confidently Follow Your Plan on Weekends
To consistently be successful on weekends, make the following special preparations:
Create a Weekend Mindset
Do you view weekends a a break from work and a break from dieting? If you goal is permanent weight loss, weekends can't be considered a vacation from dieting. The most successful dieters and maintainers follow their diets consistently, no matter what day of the week it is. The National Weight Loss Registry, which follows thousands of maintainers, determined that study participants who consistently followed their diets - on weekdays and weekends - were 1.5 times more likely to maintain their weight loss over a year than dieters who loosened up on weekends.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 138.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #168  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Monday

Good Morning Coaches

We are back to normal temperatures here; below zero once more. I know that Farmer Rod, over at the Sugarbush we visited on Saturday, will be happy to see the cold weather return. The sap stopped running with that summer heat we got last week. It'll go again today I bet.

Well, I weighed in this morning *credit* and *poof* -4lbs gone, exactly what I was up yesterday after the pizza and I moved back to *drumroll* 263.2. Unlike other days over the past week, I was thrilled to see 263. So, another opportunity to have an OP day today. I have planned for one, just need to stick to the plan.

Today I am at the Potters' Guild to baby sit the kiln as it fires down. We set up a glaze kiln yesterday full of class work. Being there to check that it fires properly means I am there for at least 2 hours so my plan it to use my time wisely and to start working on some simple garden ornaments. I have the sketches and I want to cut out cardboard templates so I can create a bit of an assembly line approach for myself. It's not my usual but I figure if I *ever* hear back from one of my local farmers' markets and if I find out I am accepted to the market I will have a bit of stock to bring to the market. And if I want some ceramic objet's d'art I have to work ahead as everything takes a long time from start to finish and if I don't get into the markets, then I have stock for the upcoming spring Guild show. So, win/win for me.

A QUESTION for you guys: what kind of art-y things do you like to see in a garden? I am making clay shapes that will hang from a metal stick, pushed into the ground, with a hook on it. My clay piece will have a hole at the top so it can hang off the garden hook or it could be hung on a wall/fence. I have several designs in mind, but my tastes are truly "off center" so I'd appreciate some input from my tasteful friends here... any thoughts? Feel free to send me a private email too--kind of un-Beck related I suppose!

Yikes better go. Time to leave soon.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-26-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #169  

Height: 5'6"

Good Monday Morning!
While I have been away from this forum I have managed to continue the Beck principles. Everything is A-OK. I went out for a celebratory dinner with a close friend on Friday night. We went to my favourite restaurant, ordered my favourite food and ate it and enjoyed it and............stopped! Yippee! I did not come home and continue on with the eating. Yes, the scale was up the next day...but yes, I had some good food that had a fair bit of salt. Yes, the next two days were with a friend and rather unstructured from an eating perspective, but I was able to not compulsively overeat. The scale is up a little bit versus my lowest in the last week--but that is normal (to me) for the situation. Today I am back into the routing and hope to continue.

My main Advantage Card reads --- "I will have a sparkle and I am powerful when I sparkle!"

Bye for now.
Susan aka hikergirl
Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #170  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

onebyone: Oh girl, my PEEVE of all is crappy pictures of me. I am the most camera adverse human you will ever meet (it’s how I became a photog! Keeps me behind the camera, not in front!). I even edited the pix in my avatar. Congrats on rejoining WW; I don’t really know if I could have gotten this far without a support system like that. I love really cool woodland fantasy figures, suns, etc

Tazzy: great work resisting chocolate! Hope the hip is back to normal soon! I can have any fruit including veggis that are the fruit of plants like eggplant, tomato, avocado... this I think is a bit of mind over matter though lol!

Woodland: Hey!! Good for you for abandoning anything that feels restrictive or doesn't fit. Trying to get go of the scale etc has been a real challenge for me, so good for you! You are really close to goal!!!

GardnerJoy: Thank you! I’m glad I’m not boring everyone LOL Great not emotionally eating! One of the things I’ve learned in yoga is that we create our thoughts and we can observe them without emotionally attaching to them. I’m kinda embarrassed at the **** I’ve created for myself attaching to and being afraid of my emotions. Learning to experience them in a kinda detached observer way has been very liberating.

Bill: Hey man yes he’s a good man, when he’s not being a guy LOL Thanks, I appreciate the kudos

Thanks again, everyone, for your kindness and support on this crazy journey I'm taking. I think the most enlightening (and most relevant to my continued weight loss and successful maintenance) are the notions that we can passively observe thoughts, that they're something we create and we can elect to not buy into them (ie old tapes and patters), that we are all at the core of our being perfect little organisms that can always start over, reinvent, adapt and move on; that nothing, good or bad, lasts forever.

Meditation has proven a bit challenging but I'm starting to feel times during my day that I need it. I'm exciting to start the rebuilding process.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #171  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Checking in on a very tired note this evening. I'm doing double duty as I try to make headway on my floor and go to work in the morning, too.

For the first time in 7 months, I had an food incident at work....chefs mistake, my favorite "bad" food and past time for my home brought lunch. As I was taking bites, my Beck words kept going through my head. I gave the remainder to the dishwasher and it was done. credit for not eating all of it.

I got home and had to immediately put a coat of finish on the floor. When I finally sat down I felt an evening of unplanned eating coming on. I countered it by going downstairs and getting the kitchen picked up while I cooked an OP pizza. I took time for a salad, too. It feels so good in retrospect.

The house hasn't been in this condition since we redid the kitchen in 2003. My dining room furniture is piled up in the living room and my upstairs hallway even has end tables. I have a dumpster in my living room and the downstairs smells. I'm sleeping with my formal dining room curtains because it's the only spot they'll stay clean and wrinkle free. I've been giving myself some breaks yet find myself remarkably calm. credit to Beck Diet Solution and my willingness to keep practicing these principles.

I'd love to spend some time rereading posts and respond to all of you. Unfortunately, I'm on a finish schedule which requires another coat at 10:30 then another at 330 am. I must get some rest while my eyelids are feeling droopy.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 03-26-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #172  
Green Tomatoes

Today's plan got over-run by circumstances. I didn't overeat and I managed to write and exercise. So, I'm putting this day in the WIN column.

WI: -0.05 kgs, Exercise:+60 970/1400 minutes for March, Food: 70%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: garden themes: gnomes, flower fairies, flowers, broad gardening hats, gardening tools, flower pots. I have a rock inherited from the previous owner that says "This is My Garden." There are all kinds of little sayings about gardens if you wanted to go that direction. Here's an idea. Veggie gardeners are always looking for good ways to mark their crops. I could imagine putting a carrot at the end of the carrot row, a pepper at the end of the pepper row, a tomato amidst the tomato plants, etc.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #173  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I did go to the doctor (thanks for the support to do that), who did tell me to put ice on it and take Ibuprofen. But, not before sending me out to get an MRI of the calf since she was worried about it. Now that was super cool. HUGE machine, whirling about with lots of noise. They even gave me a choice of music from a list of 100 CD's; I chose Beethoven's Seventh Symphony, and they actually played the Fifth which made for a rousing scan, LOL. I won't get the orthopedic doctor's reading until today, but I was sent home with a CD that shows me 3D views of my calf. Appears to have a pair of bones in it.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. Evening snack was exactly one California Navel Orange - separate CREDIT moi since several pieces of fruit have been the recent evening thing.

onebyone – Yay for 4 pizza pounds gone in one day. I like gardenerjoy's idea of veggie markers. Maybe garden spirits that look like gargoyles to chase away Tomato Horn Worms and beetles and beasties that eat.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "over-run by circumstances" - BTDT. Yep, "WIN column" it is.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Busy, busy lady. Kudos for choosing to stop eating the chef's mistake - it's the stopping that seems to me to be the big step in conquering our old habits.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Powerful and encouraging thought, "can always start over, reinvent, adapt and move on."

Susan (hikergirl) – What a feeling, "and............stopped!" Kudos and "Yippee" both.

Readers -
Quote:
To consistently be successful on weekends, make the following special preparations:
Create a Weekend Mindset
Copy the following Response Card to practice a new mindset:
WEEKEND RESPONSE CARD
Because I want to keep off excess weight, my week-
end eating has to be the same as my weekday eating.
My body doesn't know or care that it's a weekend,
and if I eat too many calories, I'll gain weight. It's
worth it to me to control my eating - even on
weekends.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 138.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy

Hi Everyone,

My Monday was not so good. I snuck some food and listened to the excuse that I didn't care. I find that if I slip, I keep slipping. I let thoughts carry me down and it seems like a domino effect.

Today I'm starting over. The wind has died down so I will get into my greenhouse and plant some seeds. Part of doing better is hearing your stories, so thanks for being here.

onebyone: Could you make plant markers that look like the plants? I'm picturing a carrot on a stake etc. I guess because I'm planting a bunch of things right now, I've been thinking about how to mark them.

hikergirl: Your post about the celebratory dinner and time with friend sounds so happy. I'm glad for you.

fyreflie24: I like: "nothing, good or bad, lasts forever". Actually I was at goal about a year ago, and have been gaining because I've let old habits creep back in. I'm a re-learner !

Lexxiss: No worries about doing personals. Having you here and hearing your experiences is what matters to me. I am struggling and it is so powerful to hear how others are living with Beck everyday.

gardenerjoy: LOL, you thought of the carrot marker too. Yeah for your 'win' day.

BillBlueEyes: Like the gargoyles idea for onebyone. Your leg must be feeling all popular from this attention!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #175  

Height: 5'6"

Hi there. Nothing much to report...so, no news about my food consumption is good news!

Firefly: I like the idea of being able to passively observe our own thoughts and beliefs. If one is able to do this it often gives the gift of perspective which is so vital for me.
Lexxis: wow, you really put your Beck skills to effective use. Good for you! Good Luck getting through this.
BBE: Good luck with the calf mri results. I just printed and cut and pasted that weekend response card to my set of response cards. Thank you
Woodland: sending you positive vibes to get you off the slippery path
Gardenerjoy: good win!

Bye for now.
Susan
Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... posting to let you all know that I have been having a major struggle with food and bingeing. I have been out of control eating for several days. It started with DH bringing in candy to give to the kids in the neighborhood. He had two bags of Easter candy - jelly beans, etc. I have asked him again and again to not bring bags of candy into the house. If he must have some candy, he could get one bar or something like that. Today, I told him that he is an enabler.... and it must stop. I kinow that it's up to me to be able to walk away from tempting foods. But - it's very hard for me with sweets around.

I have already eaten extra today. Thankfully, it's not like Sat/Sun/Mon, however. I really want to stop this. I did take a few deep breaths as I headed for 'something' in the kitchen to eat. I turned back. Credit. I am here... Credit.

I will try to draw that line in the sand. Start fresh with a planned lunch. I can't start playing 'food games'... eat less today to make up for it. That always backfires on me.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-27-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #177  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all feeling much better-thanks!! Still have a little cough and congestion, but I have allergies and if you sit outside you can just see the pollen in the air! Was outside had to come inside, the mosquitos were getting a little too hungry!!! Did good eating today. Have been reading my advantages cards, I want to re-do them, but still have not found the time. I have stopped advancing in the Beck book, I want to go back and re-read again up to the point I am at now. Review is good for me. We will be getting really busy at work, it's First Communion and COnfirmation time in the Catholic Churches and with 3 religious stores it will get crazy, so in the month of April and May you may not get to "see" me as often, but I'll be around. We had a local young man drown this weekend in a boating accident, so sad for his family. Gotta go. Have a blessed evening.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi All

Quick check in, using the tablet and you know how much I dislike typing on it. I seem to be out of sorts the last couple days, seem to be pretty okay on food, I'm tracking carbs and calories. I have found that my calories are right around 1000 per day and I think that's too low and maybe that's another reason I'm stuck. I need to figure out how to get more calories in without adding the extra carbs that I don't even want anymore. Always a work in progress.

Gardenerjoy - if you have some yoga dvd suggestions I would love to check them out. Thanks!

Have a great night everyone. Back later when I'm on a real computer keyboard
Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #179  
Green Tomatoes

Today went according to plan--exercised, wrote, ate on plan. Yay!

WI: +0.7 kgs, Exercise:+75 1045/1400 minutes for March, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I'm relieved to know your calf has the requisite tibia and fibula.

Woodland: Have you tried the Seven Question technique (Day 27 in the pink book) or the Cheat Sheet (starting page 102 in the green book)? Those can be really helpful to stop slipping.

hikergirl: yay for no news days! Those are the best.

Beverlyjoy: sorry for the struggles -- maybe this time it will make an impression on DH. This is very wise: "I can't start playing 'food games'... eat less today to make up for it." Actually, I could ask you the same question I asked Woodland.

CatholicCajun: be sure to take care of yourself during your busy season!

Tazzy: tilting my calories too low makes me out of sorts. I added nuts when I realized I wanted more calories but not more carbs. Nutritionists claim they're healthy in small amounts. I'm not much for measuring, but I always measure nuts.
Yoga DVDs. These two by by Barbara Benagh have a ton of content and a variety of routines, from energetic to relaxed:
http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-For-Begin...2904409&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Stress-Re...2904409&sr=8-2
I also love Candlelight Yoga from Crunch. It's more like taking a yoga class and is very relaxing:
http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-Candlel...2904481&sr=1-1
Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #180  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - No call from the doctor about my calf which, I presume until I call today, means they found nothing from the MRI. Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, except for largish snacks (Ouch) as I'm beginning to feel cabin fever sitting by my phone and not exercising.

DW left the new flat of Petunias outside on Monday night were they experienced the 20 degree F cold and were thought to be dead. They felt the sun and revived!!! So they spent last night in our kitchen looking very happy. Resilient little guys.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for yet another on plan day. Have you started your outdoor garden yet?

Beverlyjoy – Smart thinking - you can't start today trying to under-eat because you feel bad about yesterday. Today starts today.

Tazzy - Thank you for not using the teenager abbreviations while typing on your tablet, LOL - U no wht I mn? I second the idea of nuts as a good source of extra food - wish I had that problem.

Woodland - Yay for planting seeds and starting over together. Plants are a great reminder that one just goes forth and goes forth.

Susan (hikergirl) – Then Kudos for no news, LOL.

CatholicCajun – Good news that you'll be having a busy two months in your business. Sending supportive thoughts for you and the family of the man who drowned.

Readers -
Quote:
weekend skills
Successfully following your eating plan during weekends takes more than a change in your mindset. In addition to practicing all of your other skills, you will need to use the following techniques (remember, the more you practice them, the easier they will get).

Plan, plan, plan. On Fridays or Saturday mornings, plan your meals for the entire weekend. Make your snack bags (described on page 120) and prepare any foods you might need in advance. Many dieters consistently prepare food ahead of time during the week because they know they need to pack meals or snacks to bring with them but forget that they need to do the same for weekends. Unfortunately, the food you need will not magically appear. If you spend time every day - and not just on weeknights - pulling together your snack bags and preparing other meals, you will be much less likely to relapse into spontaneous snacking on Saturdays and Sundays. Isn't it worth the extra preparation time if it means you get to lose weight and keep it off?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 139.
Closed Thread