Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #46  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Yesterday OP, weighed and have a plan for today which includes exercise. *credit* I'm taking care of business here this morning since I got called into work tomorrow. We'll enjoy our pool day then travel early in the morning. I'll take my bike with me this time. Yesterday I rode to the pool and back despite chilly temps. Now I'm in the mood.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning everyone,

Day 2 of no sugar or refined foods yesterday. Did have a couple of squares of the 85% dark chocolate but consider that a credit when I would usually eat a lot of chocolate chips instead! Did not get the walk in I had hoped as I got a bad headache in the afternoon and just wanted to sit and not do anything.

Weighed today, down .2, read cards and have food planned for the day. I am very happy it's Friday!

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

After reading Tazzy's perfect day two days ago, I wanted one. I did it! A perfect food day tracked and no candy. It has been awhile since I have not"fudged", compensated or substituted junk food for nutrition. It feels good. I did feel my body miss the extra sugar. Just for today, I have a plan for another good day. Step class, some cooking for a party tomorrow, writing.

Lexxiss: Enjoy bicycling on the other side.

BBE: It is not really fair if they will offer samples with walnuts on them.

Donamari: Very interesting to see your process. Your body has been through a lots with the gains and losses of the past few years. This could be just what it needs.I know it took me several years to come down from over 200 to where I am today.

Last edited by maryann; 03-09-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi ... Glad to be home where I have more of a food comfort zone. I enjoyed my time with family. GS is taking Tae Kwon Do. It's a hoot to see 4 & 5 year olds doing this. Great fun.

I have eaten some different things - testing when I can eat (or not). Hope every one is doing well.

I have my arc/rc cards out and ready to read.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #50  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default was struggling then took a dive

Hi coaches

I was struggling with my food pre-WW weigh-in. I had a Big Soup from a store the day before weigh-in. I had a few other things that I knew were salty. It's like I made a decison to be rebellious again. I had really given up the fight for months. For some reason I have picked it up again. It's like I get into this headspace that says "yeah? SO WHAT?! I'm going to eat x and x and x, yeah I'll track it, yeah I'll go weigh in, but I DARE YOU (who the heck am I talking about anyway here? But this is what it feels like) to tell me *I* can't have this and I DARE YOU to show up on the scale". It's a whole lot of arrogance, a lot of resistance and just being angry. So I was +2lbs from my last weigh-in, a night time weigh in btw, in Key West. I thought for sure I'd see a drop just because I am weighing in in the morning. No. My food free-for-all has bled into today too. I am already over my daily points for the day, but not for the week. So I am fine but I had an unnecessary sweet thing again today and then chose to eat it when I stopped to question msyelf about it. So many things that were so easy for me to do in Key West I just can't do here. I am not walking at all. Just like what I was like before Key West. But give me the warm weather, the exotic interesting location and I walked without thinking until I was tired and only then did I turn around to go home. I think I am going to ask DH if I can get my swimming pass this weekend. I hope I can. I have a great new swimsuit and lots of nearby pools to go to and I need the physical activity. And I am very frustrated by not having an official workplace. It was tough making even my one small print this week. I can't find any studio space locally. None. It is all to the south in the heart of the city and that means traffic and commuting big time. At least an hour each way, probably 1.5hrs is more realistic. So I have to find a way to make this all work. And this brings me back to: de-cluttering. I feel like I have made zero progress in my life. Like I went away for a month and had a fantasy voyage in art and now I am back to reality and I don't like it much. No wonder I feel mad and don't want to curtail my food. *sigh* But I really wan to be in the 250's so I have to smarten up and follow the plan. Beck and WW both and OA too--I need to give the local OA's another try.

Anyway, that's how thigns are with me. Tumultuous. I'm off to go get DH from work and then heading out to do my volunteer stint at the guild: cleaning up the studio. At least I won't be home eating.

Have a good evening coaches.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #51  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did another Boot Camp at gym, CREDIT moi - feeling slightly more coordinated than before while doing a rapid movement kicking alternating feet forward. Then took a walk with DW (CREDIT moi) up a local little hill where the only birds we saw were magnificent Hooded Mergansers on the lake at the bottom. And then walked (CREDIT moi) on an evening errand - only 20 minutes each way - where I kept debating whether to take the car since I didn't want to be late. A good exercise day.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, including the planned single fruit for evening snack - half a mango picked up at Trader Joe's earlier in the week. When I saw DW having trail mix with her tea, as she always does, I wanted some, but used the simple NO CHOICE to make the thought go away. If every day was this good maintenance would be a breeze.

onebyone – Kudos for recognizing that you demonstrated in Florida how you want to live and now need to tweak your activities and/or environment back home to achieve the same - somewhere to let your rebellious 14-year-old roar other than with food.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for bike riding as a normal thing.

Beverlyjoy – Neat to be exploring what you can eat. LOL at the very thought of 4 and 5 year olds doing Tae Kwon Do.

maryann - For celebrating your own perfect day, Kudos. [Ya made me think: I love my walnuts, but never over eat them; in the past, I've overeaten cashews, almonds, and pecans by the handfuls - but never walnuts. Maybe it's a more healthy nut or something.]

Tazzy - Yep, Kudos for a small serving of soul-satisfying dark chocolate rather than a handful of milk chocolate chips. Ouch for the headache - hope that passed quickly.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
challenging situations skills
At the Event
8. Find an ally. Is there someone at the event in whom you can confide? Alert your ally in advance that you might need help if you have an intense craving. He/she could leave the room with you or distract you with conversation. Often just declaring aloud, "I'm not having dessert," can be enough to exert the control you need to follow your plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 135.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #52  
persist

Exclamation An O Well kind of day

Coaches

Still off track, still eating too much. I'm really having trouble keeping the food to "normal" suggested portion sizes. I've already gone over my daily points for the day and have 15 extra weekly points left for the week. It's time for me to start making the filling yet low in points soups once more.

I'm pretty sure I'm using food all the extra food to deal with frustration and irritation. I'm back to not having many people to talk to again. But, oddly enough, since I got back from my trip I feel more connected to where I live. I feel a bit more fond of it I have noticed. I am surprised by that.

I did a positive thing today *credit* I got my 3 month aquatics/aerobic membership today. But, because I was honest, on the mini-questionaire I had to fill out, I answered yes to "has your dr ever told you you had high blood pressure" and "do you take medication for any conditions" and so this means I have to get a dr. note to take part in classes. A delay. But I'll get it done.

Bye for now.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #53  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food was on plan, CREDIT moi, despite several urges to nibble something to make feelings go away. I focused on the thought that food had never made feelings go away for me and that food eaten that way had almost always led to more food. And more food brought about some negative feelings for mindless eating. For which food is a tempting notion to make those go away. Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

Exercise was breathing, LOL. Except that, unexpectedly, we had guests and ended up walking (CREDIT moi) out to dinner. I left half my food (CREDIT moi again) which came home in a doggie bag - probably for dinner tonight. Today is the day I tick my counters - CREDIT moi for making five years at maintenance. Hats off to Dr. Beck for writing the books that made that possible.

onebyone – I know about attempting to use "extra food to deal with frustration and irritation" - it calls like a drug, I will make it all go away. It lies.

Super Kudos for doing your aquatics/aerobics membership!!! What a stellar way to get your neurons jumping like they were in Key West. Ouch for the delay for a permission slip from your doctor. Do you now have to find a doctor in your area to get that?

Readers -
Quote:
At the Event
9. Use Resistance Techniques. At the event, if you are tempted by unplanned food, do the following:
  • Label what you're feeling at that moment: I'm just craving/hungry/thirsty/tired/upset/stressed/celebrating/happy.
  • Stand firm: tell yourself, NO CHOICE ... I'm not going to eat this food.
  • Deal with disappointment: Oh, well, I wish I could eat this but I can't, so I'm going to accept it and enjoy socializing ... I'm really going to enjoy getting and staying thinner.
  • Breathe deeply; relax.
    . . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 135.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #54  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

I had a very productive morning. I weighed*credit* then made my own morning stretching music and tried it out. It's just over 20 minutes-perfect. I had alot of "Beck" thinking time as I putzed and also put kale (for chips) in the dehydrator. I was noticing my daily habits (OCD) and making a connection with my food habits, especially my choices of comfort foods. A meditative morning....then I got the call to come into work (ASAP) if I could because a waitress got dizzy and sick while working. I switched headspace and was at work in 15 min. Nice for the wallet.

So....DH and I are going out for dinner. He had wanted to go this morning before I ran out the door. I'm committed to healthy choices.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #55  

Good evening all.

Quick checkin. I am committed to writing one more page in the next hour so we can have family film night.
Food was off the deep end yesterday. A dinner with old college buddies and I didn't try to track my food. I hear you, Onebyone. It is tough to get back on track.
Beverleyjoy: Glad your trip went well. glad you have your arc cards with you.
BBE: Congrats on five years. Hopefully in three more years you will be toasting me
Lexxiss: Enjoy dinner out.

Last edited by maryann; 03-11-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #56  
persist

Thumbs up a better day and better days ahead.

Hi Coaches

My food today was more measured and I stayed within my points for the day and I got some walking in. *credit x 3* I also weighed in and saw: 266.4. I am 5.4lbs up from my last KW weigh in, and 3.2lbs up from my last weigh in here. I can't believe I have actually gained that, that it's real weight. I haven't overeaten to warrant a weight gain like that. It's got to be water retention of one kind or another. It's really bugging me though so I need to just put it behind me. Focus on each day as it comes and also make sure I up my water intake which is pretty much at zero.

Today I walked a little. I am exploring the local "parkettes" - some strange local variation of a park. I am thinking it may become an art project and this is my research. There are 36 parkettes in this town and I visited 6 today. So I got in and out of the car and explored the parkette when we got there. It was interesting. The weather was fantastic this afternoon. Sunny and really warm. I loved it.

I also cooked from scratch today and made turkey soup and I have a chicken and some more turkey in the crockpot cooking. I just wanted to have some ready cooked food for the rest of the week. I don't want any excuses for going off-track.

Guess that's it. Tomorrow I am visiting the "only historical site" in this town north of me. I was chosen as 1 of 6 artists to artistically re-interpret the site for their 150th anniversary celebration. I get to have access to everything and to request access to specific things for my art project. I asked to have a walk through before I do that so I can figure out what direction I want my work to take. I am going to really enjoy this project. My due date is May 4th for 1-4 pieces depending on size.

Ok, time to go. See you here again tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #57  

Height: 5'6"

hi. I am back. I read my advantage cards this morning...oh my, they are powerful. I did that and spent the day trying to sort thru receipts for taxes for my business.

Wow, wonderful to see the same names and the successes associated.

You are inspiring!

HIkergirl aka Susan
Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #58  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - On daylight sayings time

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A superb food day for me, CREDIT moi, one of my best in a while. At a pot luck lunch, I had one plate of veggie dishes with a big salad, absolutely skipping the dessert table - not a crumb from the plate of homemade brownies or a nibble from a dish of tree nuts!!! That meant I skipped my morning snack.

Got in a walk, CREDIT moi, in the warm afternoon where we encountered an (unwelcome) Mute Swan. (They eat the vegetation needed by the other water fowl and root up everything.) Then missed my afternoon snack because there wasn't enough time before dinner. And had exactly half a grapefruit for evening snack - the amount of evening snack on my plan. Yep, superb day - the resistance muscle needs more of those for proper training.

onebyone – Yay for getting involved with the parkette system for getting yourself involved with your present. Ouch for the number - water weight does hit now and then. [Note to SpellChecker: I no NOT want that changed to parquet, LOL.]

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Congrats for being so together that you can get to work in 15 minutes in response to an emergency. Yay for putzing.

maryann - Yep, it's tough to get back on track - but that's where to go.

Susan (hikergirl) – Thanks for the reminder that the Advantages Card can be so powerful. Good luck with your taxes - I've got some of that hanging over my head also.

Readers -
Quote:
At the Event
9. Use Resistance Techniques. At the event, if you are tempted by unplanned food, do the following:
. . .
  • Distract yourself. Get involved in a conversation or activity.
  • Go to the restroom or outside to read your Advantages Deck and Response Cards.
  • Drink a no-calorie beverage.
  • Distance yourself from the food.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 136.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #59  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Early for me with the time change. I had a terrible night sleep. I always panic when that happens. How am I going to go to work and do all I need to do? It all works out. If I modify Beck a little "Sleep is not an emergency." maybe I will calm down. Said my morning prayers, tracked my food, plan to sit while eating.
BBE: Credit for a terrific day. I am going to think about your great day and have one myself.
onebyone: credit for the honor to be selected by the city council.
hikergirl: Good to hear from you.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #60  

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning. Trying to get into the swing of "Beck things". Being gentle on myself. I cannot face standing on the scale right now. I will do so.

the good news is that I have all of my prepared material ready to review. I have already reviewed my Advantages this morning. I will complete the daily checklist.

I too am sleep deprived, but not because of the time change, but because of howling winds last night and this morning.

Have a good day everyone.

hikergirl-susan
Closed Thread