Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone!

Quick check in tonight as I have a pounding headache that even caused me to skip Zumba. I get more out of my boot camp classes right now so want to be in top form for that tomorrow. Also just finished the banking and paying bills, maybe that added to the headache.

Weighed (up .6 but also have TOM), read cards, ate slowly,sitting down, left bites (at lunch and dinner), no seconds and am trying really hard to ignore DS Halloween candy. Will head upstairs after this note and it will be in a different room.

na3309 Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, my family has a history of IBD (inflammatory bowel diseases) including ulcerative colitis (me) and a cousin who has both Crohn's and Celiac. One of the factors that I dealt with during my illness was that everyone has different things that aggravate them and you need to figure out what works best for you. At that point in my life worrying about my diet and losing weight was not anywhere near the top of my priority list. Getting my health in order was first and foremost.

beverlyjoy Good luck in getting your ankle and foot brace situation settled.

fyreflie24 Seconding beverlyjoy in letting the unplanned meal go and getting back on track.

BBE Credit for apple pie with no crust, that's probably why I prefer desserts like apple crisps. I also agree with ouch for a $47 can of paint.

4everlearning Robin, I love how you ordered your pasta dish. I would have never thought to ask for that sauce on the side. Big credit for having the courage to do that! You are a real wealth of information on research and how it's conducted. I have to admit I did need to re-read those paragraphs a few times to wrap my head around it.

Regarding your eharmony experience I can happily say that I met my husband on an online dating site and we will be together 6 years in January and married for 4.5. If you have any questions I'd be happy to PM you on my take of that world.

gardenerjoy Congrats on the new low!

Lexxiss Credit for the return of harmony to your house after your family visits. Wow you really have long, busy days don't you.

pamatga Credit for your turkey burger and free HBO distracting you from your chocolate craving. I cannot remember who said not to drive to get your food craving, guess it could also be said not to send your spouse out for it either!

Hello to everyone else stopping by.

Last edited by Tazzy; 11-15-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #107  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

My half way through the month report.

My count for the 50,000 word NaNoWriMo challenge is: 26526 (1500 words ahead!)

My exercise minutes: 650 (right on track!)

WI: +0.3kgs, Exercise: +35 650/1300 minutes for November, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Robin(4EverLearning): Thanks for all your work for us on interpreting the research. I learned some of that from a book called The Instinct Diet by Susan B. Roberts and Betty Kelly Sargent. There was a flip side to the "we eat more variety" research that has helped me some -- focusing on a variety of vegetables has helped me eat more vegetables!

Julie(na3309): I hope your diet changes really help your health issues.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:01 AM   #108  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

My days and nights have been screwed up for a week or longer so if it appears that I am posting at "odd hours", well, I am.. for now.

The weather here gets warmer right before we have thunderstorms so that was what "turned off" all the inflammation on my body and allowed me to attend two of the three part series on "love, forgiveness, reconciliation and healing." Wednesday night will be the conclusion of these talks. Tuesday night brought on a lot of emotion for me and I was able to articulate that to my husband. He was instantly forgiving, as I am with him, so then it was just a matter of "drying out" and "moving on".

That chocolate craving of mine just doesn't want to leave on its own accord. I have to smile though. I was darn determined to get a chocolate dipped cone after my emotional night and I was told that they "don't do those anymore". I just smiled. I went home, measured out 1 TB (at 70 calories) of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and viola! that was all that it took to silence my "chocolate craving".

Julie I am so sorry to hear about your multiple illnesses, none of which have a "cure" by the way. Eventually, you will figure out how to compartmentalize each one of them, treating the symptoms. I know that is what I have learned to do and before you know it, things fall into place as they should. My MIL has celiac after suffering with the symptoms for several years. In her 80s, they treated all around it until they "discovered" what was really wrong with her.

I can tell you that the one effective treatment of my IBS symptoms and elevated blood glucose levels was simply eating a balanced, healthy food plan. The right balance of whole grains, minimally processed foods, low fat and almost non-existent white sugar has put a lot of aggravating digestive and metabolic issues to rest. You can do it!

beverlyjoy I am so sorry that you are continuing to have problems with that brace. I wore orthotics for several years. I have weak ankles and very high arches. I got used to them but I don't recall having lower back problems. Is it possible that the brace is throwing your weight off balance and that is why you are are straining the back muscles?

gardenerjoy So 170 wasn't the end of the line? Well, on the 169.

lexxiss I love my nuclear family but I love them much more when there is 986 miles between us. I hear you!

Robin GJ in how you asserted your "right" to have your Italian dish the way you wanted it. I think ethnic restaurants are sometimes the most difficult to get things as one wants. You proved that it can be done!

One of our good friends met his wife via one of those online dating sources. They now have two girls. Another person in our Sunday morning Bible study, who was widowed with two small girls, met her husband on FB and they now have an infant son. It seems like love can happen via the internet. So, I say "go for it!" You never know!

tazzy
Hope all is better. GJ in avoiding the leftover Halloween candy.

Bill $47 for a gallon of paint. Benjamin Moore must be turning over in his grave just about now. GJ on resisting the crust. You are a better "man" than I am when it comes to pie. To me, the crust IS the best part. If it were me, I'd leave the pie filling and just eat the crust. In fact, I hate to admit this but everyone who eats around me (at least in the past) knows to save me their crusts if they don't "like them".

Credit: I went to the reception after the first talk and I had a glass of ice water, passing by the multitude of mini sweets.

Credit I set up the last Team Challenge as walking 15 miles a week. I used to do this ten years ago. Yes, I am including myself in this challenge. To keep the challenge a level playing field I am emphasizing distance more than time. If I were doing timed walking, it would take me "forever" to do the longer distances.

It will begin tomorrow. Wednesday -1 mile Thursday-2 miles, so on, until it ends with Sunday being 5 miles. I purposely decided to do it this way so that I would have enough time (like a Sunday afternoon) to do 5 miles. [1+2+3+4+5=15 miles.] The challenge will last from November 16-December 14th. I have not attempted walking 5 miles at one time since September 2008. I am the person who will have the most difficulty attempting this challenge. I decided that I would still go ahead with it in spite of what I think I can or can't do. I won't know until I try. So, I am going to try.

For 11/14:

Calories: 1857
Carb: 244
Fat: 60
Protein: 89
Fiber: 14
Sodium: 2770

For 11/15:

Calories: 1849
Carbs: 276
Fat: 67
Protein: 75
Fiber: 22
Sodium: 2827
Old 11-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #109  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A normal day, CREDIT moi. I painted the metal covers of the forced hot water heating system for one room, CREDIT moi, because that was what I had to do next. It's hard to admit that I'm a mediocre painter; it's just not my thing. DW insists that that look great, but I only see the flaws. It made me go look closely at our recent professional painting that I think looks great, and I can find the same flaws in their work when I set my mind to it. Seems like I need a lesson in letting go and accepting what is.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on being ahead on your NaNoWriMo challenge - hope the plot is 5% more developed also, LOL.

Beverlyjoy – Big Kudos for shouting back at those Sabotaging Thoughts when you were experiencing back pain. Hope the Sabotaging Thoughts as well as the back pain ease away.

pamaga – Yay for the discovery that one TB of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips satisfies your chocolate craving; Kudos for stopping at one TB when you had the whole bag in your hand.

Tazzy - Ouch for the headache. Kudos for the strategy to change rooms to avoid the Halloween candy. I know of families that make Halloween candy "disappear" after two weeks; Kids seem to accept that.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Yay for being busy with holiday pictures - not everybody is busy these days. "moving on now" seems the right way to go.

Julie (na3309) – Good news that eliminating gluten makes the symptoms go away. A friend has celiac and we just adjust our recipes before we bring food over. My take is that if you feel you've fallen out of using the Beck strategies, just start the book over again and get back on track.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating
experiment 5 Prove that you can make cravings go away.
what to do . . .
1. Buy a trigger food - a food that you have eaten out of control in the past.
2. At home, take out this book, and your Response Card, Advantages Deck, Memory Box (page 38), and Distraction Box (pages 39-40). Pick five activities from the box to try.
3. Learn to label what you are experiencing. Create the following Response Card:
This is just a craving. I don't have to pay attention
to it. It will pass.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 84.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #110  
Maintaining

S/C/G: 140/112/117

Height: 5'2"

report: didn't read my cards, weighed (no change), ate slowly and mindfully and left a bite all day, then had a major overeat (wine-induced) at a meeting last night. A lot of what I overate was shrimp with cocktail sauce, though, so not as bad as it could have been. Avoided the desserts, at any rate. Bad couple of days homewise, but I did go to exercise class Monday morning. Missed it this morning. Oh, well. Move on.

Not much time for callouts today -- I read all the posts, just answering a couple!

Robin -- Good for you on the fettucini! Ack indeed on waking up to a bunch of emails! What are you thinking regarding paying the fee and giving it a chance? Is it a monthly fee, or what? Interesting that one of your potential matches is right there in town!

Very interesting about dishes with numerous ingredients taking longer to trigger sensory-specific satiety! For the measurement of eating speed, I was thinking something like maybe using a bowl attached to a scale that weighs and records continuously so that you could see a graph showing that subject A was taking bites averaging 26 grams, 10 seconds apart and ended up eating 18 ounces while subject B was taking bites averaging 20 grams, 15 seconds apart and ended up eating 15 ounces, and then comparing that with the brain scan showing the size of the lightup of the pleasure center during the meal for each.

Donamari -- good for you for not letting overeating "screw up everything." You're right that this was an important learning experience, and one that many people NEVER get.

gardenerjoy -- cool that you're a Wash U alum! Jane really liked it. The campus is beautiful. She submitted her application.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends/coaches/becksters - yesterday was mostly on plan - I was doing great.

But, last night I got a disturbing phone call from my SIL. My niece and two friends (all 20 years old) were hanging out at her friend’s house when two masked and armed robbers walked in the house - the burglars took what they wanted and left the people in the house alone. Thank goodness they are OK. Needless to say, we are all shook up about this. I immediately ate 2 bowls of cereal. Of course, it didn’t change one thing - it calmed me down for just a few minutes. Then I started thinking about ‘ruining’ my healthy day. Moments of chocolate and that I might as well eat more goodies - flashed through my brain. I shouted back at those sabotaging thoughts and went to bed. However, I didn’t want to get on the scale today. But, I did. It was down another pound. ( has been that weight a few days). I will change my ticker.

My public service announcement. Keep your doors locked at all times.. even when you are home.

Before the phone call I had had a pretty healthy day. I did all my journal work, planned/measured/logged, stretches & strengthening, water, and I took my beck ‘stuff’ with me when I took my mom to the doctor and did some reading/writing/and thinking. I got in a very short meditation.

Na3309 - I am glad you posted. I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis of celiac disease. My 18 year old neighbor has it, too. It is very very challenging. He says that once you figure out what has gluten and anything else that sets it off - it becomes some easier to live with. Hang in there. In facts, he’s 6’5” feet tall. He is an skinny as a bean pole. He eats a box of Captain Crunch with milk daily. Yikes! I am not saying that you should do that.. But, you will find a way to live with. Take care now.

t-azzy - hope your headache is gone. Good for you…. Distancing yourself from the candy. Thanks, about my foot/ankle. I will not give up!

Gardener/joy - great report on writing and eating!! Carry on.

Pam - yes… the new brace is definitely throwing my ‘gait’ off and causing the back pain. We will get it figured out. Thanks. Many good credits…. Great!

Billbe - glad to hear about a normal day. LOVE those days, really. Good to get the painting done.

Valerie - sorry to hear you’ve had a few struggles with your food. Hop right back on your plan and it will be OK.

Have a wonderful day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-16-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #112  
julieb

S/C/G: 210/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey yall'

Having a good day, no gluten so far. Stomach is a little sizzly tho. Dont know why.

I enjoy reading everybody's posts. There is so much heart and support!!!

Robin That study sounds really interesting, I went back and read it. We really are complex human beings. Ive read that color makes a difference how much we eat too, blue makes you eat less... Idk.

I really want to eat more whole unprocessed foods since this with the celiac and prediebetes. Ive eaten badly most of my life. Now its caught up with me. 46, overweight, food related illnesses, not to mention high blood pressure etc...

I was talking to my son today about how we eat. He's 19 kinda too thin and he eats horribly!!! I was telling him if he ate even just 80% of the time natural whole unprocessed foods, he would probably live healthfully to 100 yrs old. I then told him that his diet wont catch up to him till hes older like me. (Im sure he will change immediately now that I told him...Lol!)

1 nice thing tho living and eating healthy is talked about and promoted more today. Way better than when I was his age! I grew up on casseroles and imperial margarine...lol

Beverlyjoy Oh my God! That is terrible. Thank God no one was hurt. I think cereal was way better then what I could've done after hearing the news. But even tho u ate it u realized it doesn't change anything. Then you fought back the sabotaging thoughts.... Yay!!!! Thats awesome!!!

Beck Day one got out my old response cards read them and added some more. Read them again. Wrote down new sabotaging thoughts.

Later
Julie B
Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #113  

Height: 5'7"

my report: weight was down .4 yesterday and up .4 today. I had a WONDERFUL personal training session yesterday. I was able to do things I'd never done before, like bicep curls with 24 pounds. And then there is this torturous leg press machine on which you lie back and press the weight upward rather than sitting up and pressing outward like normal--and I pressed 225 pounds, almost 100 pounds more than my own body weight!! OMG!! My trainer kept me in perpetual motion for the entire hour with no breaks, running up and down stairs, doing jumping jacks, leaping over obstacles, using machines, free weights, you name it. He was even more excited than I was, pumping his fist and telling me over and over how much my strength and endurance have improved. Considering that when I started the personal training I couldn't do a bicep curl with even two pounds, that I never even took gym classes as a kid because I was too fat to participate, and that just two years ago my quadriceps were so weak that the only way they could be "exercised" was through passive electrical stimulation, all of this is a pretty amazing accomplishment for me. One of these days I am going to go visit my old physical therapist and show her just how far I have come! So YAY ME!! I stuck to my food plan for the past two days, ate everything sitting down and mindfully, and am feeling very much in control. I do feel like I need to get back to the habit of reading my cards regularly and to creating new ones, especially memory cards. So many good things have happened, and I need to record them so I never forget.

Julie, I'm so sorry about your Celiac diagnosis. That's a tough one to deal with. But the good news is that now you know what to do to make yourself feel better, and it gives you a great incentive to eat healthier. And doing so will take care of your high blood pressure and prediabetes, too. And think what a good example you will be to your son!

BillBlueEyes, yep, you would definitely need to buy more cookies if you serve two varieties rather than one! And YAY YOU for eating the apple pie filling and leaving the crust. I'm not sure I could do that!

gardenerjoy, thanks for the reminder that sensory-specific satiety can be used to our advantage when it comes to vegetables. As a picky eater who struggles to eat enough vegetables, this is a strategy I can definitely use!

Beverlyjoy, how traumatic for your niece and her friends to be present during a burglary. ACK. But YAY YOU for stopping yourself after those two bowls of cereal. Doesn't it kind of tick you off that food no longer has the same power to comfort you as it once did? Good for you for going to bed instead of giving in to that craving for chocolaty treats! How did your appointment to get your brace checked go today?

Val , sorry to hear you've had a rough couple of days at home and that you had a major wine-induced overating incident (although overeating shrimp with cocktail sauce is certainly not the most damaging thing you could do!!). YAY YOU for moving on, as you have repeatedly proven yourself capable of. And good for you for making it to your exercise class on Monday, which I am sure you did not particularly feel like doing at the moment.

pamatga, YAY YOU for silencing that chocolate craving in such a sane and minimalist way! And good luck with the walking challenge. "I won't know until I try"--now those are some words to live by. I give myself that same message on practically a daily basis nowadays--for instance, when my personal trainer asks me to do some cockamamie stunt that seems like pie-in-the-sky to me! And now I am testing out that same message--whispering it to myself, anyway!!--with regard to the possibility of dating, which scares the crap out of me on so many levels, I can hardly articulate all of my fears. Thanks for telling me about the people you know who found love online.

And thank you to you, too, Tazzy. That's cool that you met your husband online. I am sure you are grateful that you accepted the risks and took the plunge to put yourself out there!

Val, the fee for eHarmony varies depending on how many months you are willing to commit to in advance. I think the minimum was three months. They want you to sign up for a year. I haven't decided whether to do it or not. You asked what I am thinking--mostly, I am thinking that I am out of my mind!

Hope everyone has a great OP day tomorrow!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #114  
Green Tomatoes

Another busy November Wednesday. Having a plan helps so much on days like this.

WI: -0.2kgs, Exercise: +60 710/1300 minutes for November, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Pam(pamatga): Dark chocolate chips are a regular part of my food plan. With a measured amount of nuts and chocolate chips, who needs candy bars?

Bill(BillBlueEyes): yay for a normal day! Excellent idea to check the professionals' work before getting too caught up in perfectionism.

Beverlyjoy: scary story. So glad the people you care about are fine.

Robin(4EverLearning): terrific report for the personal training session! Good job remembering to record it so you don't forget such a wonderful experience!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:17 AM   #115  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Rainy day. I feel like a little kid whining about the rain when I can't go out to play. But I didn't snack about it, CREDIT moi. I was already feeling mildly negative about a book, but then my oxymoron alert was trigger by, "Little is known about the secret life of mammals." Duh!

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for the benefit of having a plan; I like being reminded of that.

Beverlyjoy – Good grief, that is a disturbing story. Kudos for not eating over it. I will remember to keep the doors locked, thanks.

Val (va1erie) – Ouch for the "overeat" - I hate when I do that, even when I try to tell myself that shrimp is good for me. Kudos for avoiding those desserts.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – I second that, "YAY ME!!" for that session with the personal trainer.

Julie (na3309) – Write a book on how to talk to teens if you can get your 19 year old to change his eating habits with one lecture, LOL. Kudos for updating your response cards.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 6 Overcome Hunger, Cravings, and Emotional Eating
experiment 5 Prove that you can make cravings go away.
what to do . . .
. . .
4. Trigger a craving. Unwrap your trigger food, sit with it in front of you, smell it, and imagine eating it until you feel a craving for it.
5. Note the time, throw away the food, and leave the room.
6. Remind yourself about the importance of strengthening your resistance muscle and weakening your giving-in muscle by rereading pages 19-20.

. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 85.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #116  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

I didn't get on the computer or the treadmill yesterday, which was my plan, because we had tornado warnings throughout the day and into the evening.

Bill I always see my mistakes when I review my work but quite honestly most other people take a quick look, say it looks great and then move on. We need to do that too.

Beverlyjoy As a person who has been a victim twice of assault, which literally came out of nowhere, I am extra cautious about personal safety. Criminals expect us to be self-preoccupied so they can catch us off guard. Both times I was assaulted, I got of both situations shaken but alive. I am grateful for my "preparedness" even though I never knew when I would use those skills. A lesson for us all. Thank you for sharing that it also had a "good ending" as well.

Val
Isn't it interesting how what we now consider "overeating" is so much different than what was once our "standard" way of eating? Now, if I have seconds, which doesn't happen except with pizza (my Kryptonite) I consider that to be "overeating". Progress not perfectionism.

gardenerjoy My sentiments exactly. Who does need candy bars? Not I!
There is just so much less we need to eat to be satisfied. I have finally learned that.

Robin F.E.A.R.=False Evidence Appearing Real regarding the dating. I believe you know how to take care of yourself. You are a strong, intelligent in control woman. You can do this when you are ready to do this.

As for vegetables, what I discovered in the past six months is that a lot of vegetables I either hadn't eaten before, tried and didn't like or just plain didn't know whether I would like them had to do with unfamiliarity then how they were prepared.

Here are a few ways that have taught me to like a lot of former "questionables": I put the least amount of water in the pan or microwave so I am actually steaming the vegetable. I add some coarse salt, black pepper (freshly ground is best) and some minced garlic or garlic powder(if I am out of the fresh) followed by a bit of real butter or olive oil, depending on the vegetable I am cooking. There are some vegetables that need to be "sweetened" (IMO) like carrots or sweet potatoes. However, I can get that taste by using Splenda or Truvia and adding some cinnamon and a little bit of butter. Grilling is another great way to add a different taste and flavor to "ordinary" vegetables. If you have never tried fire roasted tomatoes or red peppers, you do not know what you are missing. They are just plain awesome. Also, some times, adding just a little bit of more "fragrant" cheeses like feta or a smoky provolone can "invite" a new taste to the vegetable. I am sure that once you begin to experiment you will come up with other ideas. Start with what kind of tastes you like and go from there.

For 11/16:

Calories: 1783
Carbs: 210
Fat: 65
Protein: 105
Fiber: 22
Sodium: 2390

Water: 64 oz
Exercise: didn't because of tornadoes in area but plan to as soon as I determine whether I am coming down with a cold or this is allergies. I have a sore throat and itchy watery eyes.

Credit-accepting that I do not have to eat at after event receptions. Second one in three nights I turned down the food, came home and measured out some on plan snacks which I happily ate instead. And, here to think that I couldn't do this but I did!

Pam
Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #117  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Sorry I've been MIA. Between my schedule and poor internet it's sometimes difficult.
Fortunately, I am staying very mindful with my Beck skills. I weigh every day and hover around my ticker weight. I try to make the best choices possible. Yesterday I helped cook turkeys for the Sr. Center lunch. I started picking then put some turkey on a plate and sat down instead. I made my own plate at lunch and didn't include things I just didn't need. I did have a slice of pumpkin pie. I started eating the crust and it wasn't satisfying so I decided not to eat it. Credit moi! Later I ended up at Costco and Whole Foods and resisted snacking at both. Dinner was lighter than usual since I had eaten more during the day.
With a lot of time on my own lately, I've had the opportunity to really think and evaluate how my practicing these Beck skills every day is really changing my relationship with food. I KNOW I must be vigilant but I have real feelings of being more food-sane.

BillBlueEyes, your pie crust story saved me yesterday. Kudos for continued resistance!

gardenerjoy, yay for having a plan AND recognizing how much it helps!

Robin(4EverLearning), oh, I like that leg machine! Congrats on finding a new level of success with your weights ESPECIALLY since you were never much into the physical stuff, even as a kid.

Julie(na3309), my sis has many allergies, including gluten. I imagine it takes awhile to clean your system out. Great job getting your response cards out...reading them then writing some new ones!

Beverlyjoy, credit for stopping yourself from eating more during an emotional time. Scary experience for your Niece and thank goodness no one was hurt. Thank you for the public service announcement. You may remember I changed all the locks on our doors before it got cold. We were lax about locking, especially when we were home but after all the locks matched we had no excuse. We both have keys and the doors are locked 24/7 regardless if we are home or not.

Val(va1erie), good for you leaving the desserts even though you had more than your desired share of shrimp. My take is it's always easier to recover from protein than sugar.

Pam(atga), yay for finding a much better option for a chocolate craving! Credit for a walking challenge for your team challenge and a plan for you to complete it. We never know until we try. Best wishes to you!

Tazzy, great that you recognize when you are getting more from boot camp than Zumba when you have to make a choice between the two.

Donamari, great job getting back on track. BTW-I enjoyed looking over your website. I have photographers in my family. Your determination with your career gave me insight as to why you have chosen such an aggressive WL goal.

Julie(na3309) really got me thinking in her discussion w/ her 19 year old son. I often wish there was a way for the kids to understand how their choices now really affect their lives later. DH and I have noticed lately that we are healthier than relatives in their 20's. In addition to very poor eating (and drinking) habits none of the kids exercise at all.

What can we do? Be a good example.

Yesterday at the Sr. Center I saw a woman we used to do work for. I always felt sad because she was so overweight. She is in her mid-70's. I wished there was a way to share experience strength and hope with her. She knew she needed to lose weight. I shared the best I could and offered support. I have not seen her for over a year and it has caught up with her in a way that I don't think is changeable. Her legs are bandaged with edema, she can barely walk and she's on oxygen. She sat by the desserts and made sure she got the best piece.

Sad....all I can do is work on myself. I am grateful for every day that I have the willingness to work at being healthier. I know if I don't that the day will come when my body will not be able to cooperate any more.

thanks for being here everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 11-17-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Hello Coaches -
I know it has been awhile. I had to put first things first - finish grades, finish grad school project, keep my son well cared for, keep up with a few counseling appointments so DH doesn't commit me. Food has been a free for all but I can honestly say I never binged, made myself sick, purged. None of that. Credit for weighing everyday. Credit for long hikes in Tahoe, yoga this morning and a plan for exercise for the rest of the month. Credit for more veggies. I am praying for the willingness to start journaling my food again. All in all, I am hoping this hurricane has almost run its course. I am three pounds from ticker. Thank God I never stopped weighing and trying to eat healthy because it would have been terrible if I came back two weeks later 10 pounds heavier. I am very grateful.

Lexxiss: Poignant story of the lady at your senior center. I know that is me if I choose to let my fear run my life.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends. yesterday was a healthy day - I am always grateful for that. Thanks to you all for your kind words and thoughts regarding my neice and the armed robbers. I think she will talk to a counselor to help her get over this.

Yesterday, I stayed within my plan, measured, logged, did my stretches & strengthening, drank lots of water, had no seconds, & always left a bite of food on my plate.

Today it's off to the bank to check out a charge on my debit card that we did not make. Ugh. They will do a search and it will be found to be fraudulent, I am sure. I will get new debit card. Honestly - I've never bought anything at Itunes! LOL

This morning I get another unsettling phone call from my son. Apparently a drunk person was pounding on their door at 4am looking for 'his brother'. My son said his brother didn't live there and the guy kept pounding and screaming he wanted to come in to see his brother. The police came quickly and took the drunk guy to jail. Everyone is OK at their house. This is in a different state than my niece. All's well that ends well thank goodness. I didn't even think of overeating. My DS & DIL live in a college town, but, in a residential area not to far from campus. I guess one of the students took a 'wrong turn'. Another reason to keep your doors locked at all times.

Maryann - credit for no binging and purging. So glad you got LOTS of exercise in. Yes… please try to include some journaling of thoughts and food and techniques. It is so, so helpful.

Lexxiss/Debbie - credit for so many good choices at the church and Costco etc, too. You are doing so well with the Beck techniques. So glad you keep your doors locked.

Pam - I am so, so sorry to hear of your tramatic experiences with assault. It is so hard to live with those memories, often.
I agree on all the wonderful way to fix veggies these. I am into roasting vegetables these days. I am doing a happy dance in honor of you not eating at the receptions!! Go girl.

Billbe - I love: But I didn't snack about it - is a great play on words as well as a great action!

Gardener/joy - I totally agree.. I think we do better with a plan.

4everlearning - WOW - that’s that you can bench press that much weight!!!! You have come such a far way from not being able to exercise as a youngster and starting out so slow. Major credit! I saw the orthocist (one that designs them) She suggested some different shoes and an adjustment to it all. - thanks.

Na3309 - I am very glad you didn’t have any gluten episodes yesterday. It takes time. (at least that’s what my neighbor says.) Yes.. You are so right… we all would do better eating whole foods etc.

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-17-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #120  
Green Tomatoes

I'm a bit surprised that I'm hitting new lows again. I'll give credit to the more consistency and greater variety of exercise this month.

We had lunch at a new place. I asked for a salad in place of fries and left more than half the bread from my sandwich. The bad news: it disturbs me that it takes that much of a change from the menu to get a reasonable meal. Good news: the substitution was made with grace and ease -- I wasn't the first to do that in that restaurant or with that waitress. This makes me feel grateful to every one who makes similar requests at restaurants all across the country, including each of you. Here's to changing things, one special request at a time.

WI: -0.15kgs (new low), Exercise: +45 75/1300 minutes for November, Food: %op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Pam(pamatga) and Robin(4EverLearning): The cookbook Fast, Fresh, and Green is great for veggie preparations. I reviewed it here: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2011/03/...sie-middleton/
My go-to method for cooking vegetables is roasting -- it brings out the natural sweetness. Probably half the vegetables I eat, though, are raw and the secret there seems to be the best ingredients. I'm getting local lettuce from my CSA right now that is both beautiful and tasty. We've started buying high quality balsamic vinegar and olive oil from an olive oil store and my salad dressings have improved (and they were already pretty good).
Closed Thread