Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #256  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Got to the gym before dinner; CREDIT moi. Since it wasn't my regular day, I worked out with a different crowd. Did my d*rn lunges next to a young lady who wore gym clothes like Julia Roberts would - they looked like they were designed for her, or perhaps, she looked like she was very comfortable with herself wearing them. I tried not to allow this to distract me from noticing that her form was near perfect every lunge, but I couldn't help but noticing, so, I straightened my back, slowed down, extended my stride, and did my set as my trainer would have demanded. Thank you Julia.

Salmon for dinner; CREDIT moi even though DW did the work. Even if they have the same amount of Omega-3's, it would be hard to trade in a fillet of grilled salmon for a tin of sardines, LOL.

onebyone - My take is that a Lebanese vegetarian platter is a good food choice even with two falafels - at least that's what I tell myself. Happy bicycle day today.

Anne (wndranne) - Kudos for driving; I picture the old western movies where the hero struggles desperately to bring the team of horses under control. Ouch for early rising kids. Double Ouch for the thought of what they could do unsupervised for a couple of hours in the morning.

ChinaMaine - Yay for morning Yoga - wish I'd do that and limber up this old bod.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Keep coming every day; it'll seep into your brain.

Susan (hikergirl) - Hope your gathering went well yesterday; it's deadly for me to sit around a platter of food for hours.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Congrats on your commissioned mosaic - that should be fun and ABSOLUTELY YES, it's an honor to get a commission. Do you still have to walk past some tempting place when you see your theapist? Interesting thought that churches introduce "unplanned unlimited eating" - wonder if the rise in obesity correlates to an increase in church attendance?

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Amazing that buying two lunches gave satisfaction even though one was for your DH. It always appears as new information to me, over and over again, that we eat with our brains.

Shepherdess - Waving toward the birthing barn; shuddering at the thought about what could be going on.

Beverlyjoy - Welcome back 'grove' and welcome "Morningstar Garden Burger" which makes me drool to get outside and start the season's grilling.

Kathy (tresor) - Welcome back, and welcome back to Buster Brown whom I also remember for his staring eyes, LOL. As usual, the active posters are in different places in the Beck plan, so starting over will put you in an active crowd. Don't worry about posting personals - it's daunting until folks begin to emerge as individuals from the pack - but your Goal #1 for daily posting is a great way to keep the brain on track.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Thanks for the testimony to planning; it's amazing how much it calms the day.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Will be interesting to see if you now use "Oh, Well" the way Beck does, as disappointment for what we won't eat - instead of the more common way as disappointment after the fact for what we did or didn't do.

nathy - Any day with nearly two hours working in the garden is a good day. Do you grow vegetables or flowers?

Readers -
Quote:
day 25
Identify Sabotaging Thoughts
Think About It

Sometimes, you'll be able to identify your thoughts easily. Other times, you won't. If you're not sure what you were thinking, see "Common Diet-Related Sabotaging Thoughts" on the facing page. If this list doesn't jog your memory, try to figure out what you definitely were not thinking. For example, if you have an urge to eat something you hadn't planned to eat, ask yourself if you were thinking about any of the following:
  • How unappetizing the food looks and smells?
  • How glad you are that you're not supposed to eat it?
  • How easy it'll be to resist it?
The Beck Diet Solution, pg 192.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #257  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck friends, coaches and buddies - yesterday was a healthy day - I am always greatful for that. The scale smiled at me this morning - I am down 2 pounds from last week. (so, I smiled back at the scale) I am almost to my next mini goal.

I've been babying my foot/ankle - did too much last Saturday. Ice and staying off of it as much as I can will help. It will calm down. I know what to do.

Last night dh and I got chinese to go. I got my favorite ginger and soy steamed sea bass. There's enough for lunch today. Goodie. Dh got all the neighborhood kids ice cream last night. I declined. (credit - Dairy Queen chocolate dipped in chocolate is one of my favorite things)

DS called last night. I knew something was wrong. His good friend committed suicide yesterday. DH's heart is broken. Mine too. Folks tried to reach this man - but, drug and alcohol addiction overcame his friend. I am glad that even at age 30 my son still will call his mom when things happen that are sad or overwhelming - yes, I am glad for that. We talked a very long time. Rest in peace, Tim.

yesterday -
planned and wrote down everything I ate -
ate seated only, no seconds
fork down between bites - some of the time
read arc/rc/page 129 st (and shouted back at them)
tasted food - alot of the time
did my stretches and strengthening exercises
lots of water
daily gratitudes
used resistance techniques a few times.

no spontaneous exercise
feel fullness - not so much
didn't look at beck book.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-21-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #258  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Tuesday

WI-down 0.9 lbs. (new low) Did not read my cards, but made a plan. Food – op; Exercise – op (59m).
Had a good day yesterday. The weather was lovely – I had planned to walk at lunch, but just was too busy to do it. But I did get out at 5 before a 5:30 meeting. It was still above 60 degrees – such a pleasure! After my meeting, we went out on the dock for a half hour or so before making dinner.
The Good
- Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – credit!
- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate – credit!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite - credit!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – credit!
- Used resistance techniques – yes!
- I posted here – yes!

The Bad, and the Ugly
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – nope
- Spontaneous exercise – nope
- Read the pink book – nope

Cheryl (seadwaters) Yes having food ready and handy makes a huge difference. Credit for making it easy to be on-plan.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Another long list of credits – kudos!

Susan (hikergirl) How did it go at your gathering? Credit for preparing for a challenging day.

gardenerjoy Kudos for fighting your sabotaging thoughts with a healthy lunch from Whole Foods!

nathy Sounds like you had 2 great days – congrats!

Kathy (Tresor) Welcome back! Although I don’t believe I’ve ever ‘met’ you before. It sounds like you are back at the right place.

one by one Your Lebanese dinner sounds great!

Nuxmaga Sounds like you made good choices yesterday. Glad you are seeing your CBT counselor. You know, you can use the same principles for the sabotaging thoughts you have when people like your work.

Kim (bennyhannamama)

Anne Your kids are getting up at 4 AM – yikes! Kudos for exercising and making good choices.

Bill Yoga is better than a cup of java first thing in the morning.

Beverlyjoy 2 lbs down – yay! So sad about DSs friend. It’s wonderful you have such a close relationship with your son.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #259  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Today-Day 23 Counter the Unfairness Syndrome
Funny, last night I was reading in the green book(p 45) where Dr Beck discusses how in reality, most people restrict their eating to some degree. In a room of 150 people there are only one or two who can eat whatever, whenever and in unlimited quantities. My DH is one of the two. His choices are much healthier than they used to be *credit me*, but sometimes it's exhausting. I'll spare the details, but last night seemed especially loud and crunchy. It's part of the reason I retire early and rise early.
Already, read book, resistance cards, reasons for losing weight, weighed myself, planned exercise.
Will, eat slowly and mindfully(no overeating) while sitting, contact my diet buddy, be alert for "fooling myself" thoughts, use "Oh, Well" BEFORE eating and
***do some workbook exercises, especially to "Put unfairness in perspective by making a mental note of the positive things in your life. Focus on the fac that doing something to improve your health is one of the most fair and reasonable things you can do for yourself." I WILL WRITE THEM DOWN! *credit* for getting up early to prepare for an OP day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes;3257659[B
Debbie (Lexxiss) - Will be interesting to see if you now use "Oh, Well" the way Beck does, as disappointment for what we won't eat - instead of the more common way as disappointment after the fact for what we did or didn't do.
Yes, Bill, it will be interesting! Your interest reminded me of my task ahead. This is one of my bigger challenges; to stay On Track. I'm OP 97% and always start anew the following day, but I'm mindfully working on using the "Oh, Well" before I stray. Thanks for noticing! Last night, it worked quite well *credit* in sticking with my planned SF jello and not having one bite of the OP apple pie I prepared for DH. Thanks for the humorous gym story and *credit* for getting to the gym on an off day.

ChinaMaine, congrats! on yet a new low. I got a chuckle at your post *credit* for your 59 minutes of exercise and honesty. I would have rounded up a minute!

seadwaters,*credit* for planning an OP day!

nathy, *credit* for spontaneous exercise (in your pajamas). I sometimes do exercises in bed before I get up in the morning. Great *credit* performing Beck's suggestions.

tresor, Nice to meet you! I'm just starting to get to know everyone! I'm a definite emotional eater, too.

Beverlyjoy, to your family today. I'm grateful your son will call you. *switch* Your posts really reflect a clarity you have which is a true recipe for success. *credit* and congrats on your WL

Shepherdess, Baahhh!

gardenerjoy, *credit* for enjoying a healthy choice from Whole Foods. It is our #1 lunch out in Denver. I think DASH is very similar to SBD-very healthy and flexible!

Nuxmaga, great credits yesterday! Congrats! on your commission. Leaving part of the cake is progress. Perhaps next time you will be able to remember it just "wasn't very good." I'm working on that, too.

hikergirl, I'll be interested in your VI spring report. My sis lived in Vancouver for 10 years and I never got to get across. *credit* for using resisance cards.

Kim (BHM), Thanks for checking in.

wndranne, all I can think of is that your kids must feel they have something to look forward to when they get up at 4! Enjoy your bike ride! *credit* for finding exercise you truly enjoy.

onebyone, "willingness to try new things" is so powerful! Your planning *credit* seems to really be helping.

Have a great day everyone! I have my departure logged for 6:25-riding my bike to the gym and back with some aerobics inbetween. *credit* and gratitude for the willingness to recognize the relationship between exercise and losing weight .
Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #260  

Back for some personals ----

lexxiss - I understand what you mean about 'fairness'. My DH is an intuative eater. Hard for me to comprehend sometimes. He only eats when he's truly hungry, leaves food on his plate, can eat anything he likes and 'forgets' to eat. I can identify with how it can be a challenge to live with that. I must admitt I have been known to throw his treats in the trash when they are calling to me.

chinamarie - so glad to hear you had a good day - so nice you could outside, too. yay

bill - yes, all the different shapes and sizes at the gym can inspire for different reasons. Glad you got some good salmon again. Thanks again for posting the daily beck quotes. Chapter 25 is important to me - I shout back at the st thoughts in this chapter.

anne - so glad to hear some good choices and giving yourself that credit.

kim - glad you posted!

nuxmaga - kudo's on getting in those walks and skipping the chips. Those credits add up.

onebyone - credit on having a food plan to guide you - also NOT eating dh's goodies at the movie!!

tresor - nice to meet you. I also have a spiral notebook with pockets for my response cards. It works very well for.

nathy - so many good beck tasks - wonderful. Oh yes...gardening certainly counts as exercise!

gardenerjoy - so glad you could make time to get to whole foods - and then could choose between two healthy lunch. Credit for staying away from treats.

seadwaters - your planning and preparing food ahead has had a wonderful positive impact on dealing with those food desires. Well Done!

hikergirl - hope your meeting with all the food on the table went well!

I hope I got everyone. Shout out to anyone I may missed. Have a GREAT day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-21-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #261  
Green Tomatoes

I never wrote a plan yesterday, but ate almost like I had one, so I'll give myself a passing grade for that.

WI: +0.05kg, Exercise: +0 840/1800 minutes for April, Food: 75%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nathy: yay for all of those SUCCESSes!

tresor: glad you are here!

onebyone: yay for mostly successful experiments and big credit for the willingness to try new things!

Nuxmaga: congratulations on your commission -- that is so exciting! Yay for the curiousity of noticing the self-critical voice without necessarily engaging with it.

bennyhannahmama: yay for plugging along!

wndranne: ouch for the early waking kids, hope you (or they) adjust soon.

BillBlueEyes: good job with using Julia to motivate your exercise!

Beverlyjoy: so sorry for the sadness that reached you and your family. Hugs to everyone who loved DS's friend, Tim.

ChinaMaine: yay for the new low!

Lexxiss: great thoughts on how to deal with the issue of fairness in your life. This is a big deal for me. What's worked best is to not compare myself to "everyone" but to "successful dieters and maintainers."

Shepherdess: hope all is going well with the ewes and lambs
Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #262  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking can having a clutter free house be that far behind??

Quote:
Tomorrow morning I take the bike out.
I woke up to my own words taunting me this morning. And then I skyped my sister and promised her I'd do it and the proof is below. Two jpgs: one of the bike at the gas station and another of my end goal: Britannia Park where I sat on a bench and watched THE PAINTER paint the water. In the jpg he's the small figure in the middle of the scene in the distance betgween the trees. he was at the shoreline. It was good to see someone en plein air, something I hope to get to soon as well and it was like a nudge from the universe pssst bring your art stuff with you next time you bike here

Yes, I took the bike and carried it out of the basement, walked it to the gas station, filled the tires up with air, and then RODE MY BIKE. For those who have been here a while, you know how long this has taken me. OMG I cannot tell you-well it's in the Beck archives. I bought the bike at a garage sale almost a year ago the first weekend of May. I just rode it for the first time and it's been oh, at least 10, maybe 15 years since I rode a bike. In fact, as I was wobbly starting out the saying "it's just like riding a bike" popped into my head and yep. There's a reason that's a cliche. It's true. I promised my sister 15 minutes. I was out an hour. I promised myself I'd go until I sweat, however long that takes. I did that there and back. So CREDIT MOI for this mental barrier being broken down. wndranne can endurance racing be far behind?? I think not! And thank you Billblueeyes for just assuming I would indeed ride that bike.

Update: I had another outing this evening to go orient the new ceramic teacher to the ceramic room at the school. My conscience was bothering me that I hadn't even met her yet and there she was teaching in a new space. I went thorugh that not too long ago myself, so I got up off the laz-y-boy and hoofed it to the bus stop for the 45min ride and then hoofed it fast to the school to beat the start time of her class. I didn't beat it. Everyone was early and her class is twice as big as it was supposed to be.

I am really worn out now and I was so very hungry, too much so I felt, so I had a serving of fresh blackberries, the last container that was in the fridge leaving me with no fruit for the morning. Yikes! even though it was 0.5 over my serving limit I felt it to be the right thing to do. If I am going to change my life and my eating then my eating MUST fit my life I figure. If I am too ravenous I will rebel and eat everything C H O M P. I don't want to be that chomping chowing down ravenous girl any more. I want to be the new athletic fit girl who looks, feels and acts half her age.

Also LARGE credit moi for NOT HAVING PIZZA tonight and eating a "super salad" instead from the takeout place. I had DH turn the box away from me. I actually saw the thing and my eyes bugged out like a cartoon at the amazingness of it but NO CHOICE I ordered salad and salad was what I had as I had no more grain servings left for the day. He promises me a slice or two for tomorrow. I can wait. Yay me!

Lexxiss thank you for your support. It's the reason I do post so much because I need to hear from others that they understand and support me. I'm tired of fighting the good fight alone. It never worked. I always come back here. Now, tell me about your first bike ride and what has happened since then...I just know it's a good story

WEEK TWO: GOALS FOR THE WEEK

1. Physical
Goals: sweat this week 2x - Target Date :April 25, 2010 completed April 21!
Tasks: pump up bike tires done! / clear living room space - April 25, 2010

2. Food
Goals: eat rec. servings of fruit/veg everyday - April 25, 2010
Tasks: get fresh food/shop - as needed

3. Food Servings Goals: aiming for 1200 calories/per day this week
4 grain products done
3 meat & alternatives done
2 milk & alternatives done
2 fruit went 1/2 serving over
5+ vegetables done
2 fats done
7 water done+

4. recording my food today. done

day 4/7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3fattires.jpg (81.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3fatview1.jpg (86.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 04-21-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #263  
GlenwoodHotSprings

onebyone, I don't know how it's possible to laugh and cry at the same time but I just did! I am overjoyed that you got your bike out of the basement and thought enough to share it with all of us. The tears flow as I remember the first time I rode my bike around the block and how much it has meant to me over the past few years. I laughed when I read that BillBlueEyes just assumed you would do it!

*credit* and great photos! Pedal on!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 04-21-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #264  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

oh how I wish I could just stay on track. I do great for a bit, I mess up for a bit. This pattern has been going on for months. In the end I am not losing weight, I am just fluctuating up and down in the same 6 or 7 pound range.

I know my triggers for overeating. My overeating is about comforting myself and also about terrible ingrained eating habits. Stress, being too busy, over-work and lack of sleep are big triggers for me. I am experiencing all of them this week.

I am off for 4 day weekend starting Friday night. I am trying to think of this weekend as my time to regroup. I am on the road tomorrow and staying in a flippin hotel tomorrow night. I have a meeting tomorrow morning where there will be snacks galore. I don't feel like even trying to deal with these things right now.

Any advice about how some of you manage to stay on plan would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening. I know it sounds like whining--- but just needed to unload this and you, my dear Beckies, are the only people in the world I can share this battle with at this moment. I am grateful to be here.

Credits for today--- a big giant zero.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #265  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
I tracked my food and stayed under my calorie goal, credit. I walked, credit. I had my CBT therapy. My therapist emphasized that I learned eating was soothing at a young age, and the harder I am on myself about unplanned eating, the more I will want to soothe myself by eating, a viscious cycle. I know this intellectually, but it's so ingrained in me to assume I am "bad" and unable to change, all those sabotaging thoughts. But I was glad that my therapist is totally Beckian, and working with me on those thoughts.

CeeJay--I resonate with your anxiety and struggle. It's not a zero for the day, since you posted here! That's important. Shame can creep in and spur the sabotaging thought that you are uniquely bad in some way and should keep your struggles a secret, but sharing with the group is the way to unlearn the ingrained habits. With snacks at a meeting, if I can sit far away from the food, it helps me limit the damage. I started knitting, and that helps as well, because it keeps my hands occupied, and I really enjoy it.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #266  

Height: 5'7"

onebyone Hurray for bikes! Hurray for us!

Anne
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #267  

Height: 5'7"

ceejay Um...zero credits. I don't think so. You posted, and you asked for ideas. Credits there. Quick thought, you have triggers, plural. Work on one at a time. Worry about tired first, and when you get a better handle on that, remembering we don't do perfect here, work on busy, and then over-work, and then the stress monster. You don't have to beat everything at once. Build on small victories.

Hi everybody. I'm still in the useless at personals stage. I'm taking credit for being here anyway. But I must sleep now. I'm getting sick.

Anne
Old 04-22-2010, 05:15 AM   #268  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Attended a talk by a registered nutritionist - was particularly encouraged that I already knew the stuff she presented. So my time spent on 3FC and reading Beck and the zillion other books wasn't wasted. Big surprise was that, even with some 20 years in her business, she still has her DH serve her dinner plate - says she would creep the portion size if she served herself!!! Kudos to her for that strategy; CREDIT moi that I use the same strategy, but thought I was odd or weak because I was concerned that I would slowly make my standard serving bigger by the week.

Exercise was particularly painful; we walked around our house with a contractor talking about all the things that need waterproofing/repair/upgrading. CREDIT moi for being responsible for my life; Ouch for the feeling of $$$$ flowing away. This home ownership thing is one two edged sword.

onebyone - Wonking BIG Kudos for the bike ride; I'm impressed and delighted. You deserved to be rewarded by seeing THE PAINTER. LOL at the cliche "it's just like riding a bike." And another Kudos for throwing No Choice at that pizza. You bikers are good at that sort of thing.

Anne (wndranne) - "To sleep, perchance to dream - ay, there's the rub." May you dream of desert flowers.

ChinaMaine - Yay for out on the dock for half an hour before dinner. Are your loons still there? Is there a secluded reedy place for them to nest?

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Thanks for the reminder of the viscous cycle nature of our negative thoughts. The CBT notion of small, specific steps seems like a good way to break the cycle, and breaking the cycle seems like the only way to beat the bad feelings that we all seem to get. It helps me when I can finagle my brain into seeing that I'm learning to play golf instead of fixing my bad.

CeeJay - Double Kudos for posting when it's hard. I second the notions from Anne (wndranne) to attack one trigger at a time. For your meeting this morning, consider having your own snack in your pocket (briefcase) and using the NO CHOICE for all of the tables of food. Might be easier to avoid that stuff if you have an alternative, rather than just denying yourself. Good luck - I do know that those are difficult.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, Kudos for eating on your mental plan even if it didn't get written.

Shepherdess - Waving toward the birthing barn; picturing a frantic Mickey Mouse carrying buckets of lambs.

Beverlyjoy - Sending supportive thoughts to you and your DS as you deal with the loss of his friend Tim. That's particularly painful since you've seen the tragedy unfold over the years.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for "Oh, Well" before I stray. Kudos for not one bite of the apple pie, that's tough when it's home made and you're the maker.

Readers -
Quote:
day 25
Identify Sabotaging Thoughts
Think About It

You'd probably answer in the negative, followed by your actual thought: I was thinking I really want to eat it!

Write each though you identify in your diet notebook. For now, don't worry about what to do about these thoughts. You'll learn how to respond to them in a couple of days.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 192.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #269  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Day 24-Deal With Discouragement
"Once I focus only on what I have to do today, dieting will be easier." Perfect quote, exactly my plan for today.
*credit* for my today's to-do list, and *credit* for planned exercise before an all day trip which ends back at home. I'll take OP food with me.

BillBlueEyes, such an interesting insight about portion control. I'm being very careful, remembering, "My Actions Matter." I feel your pain with your home...our 130 yr old home mixes love and respect with, "Oh, Well."

CeeJay, *credit* for knowing your triggers! I hope your 4 day weekend will help you regroup. I always take my own food to events with food. Be kind to yourself while on the road. Regarding advice for staying on plan; I think my most important step was to identify the worst foods that I loved to eat when I got to the point of "eating everything in the house". If I have to go out and buy them before eating it's more likely I will eat something that's better for me. My "emotional eating" issues still exist but I create minimal damage by eating a bunch of fruit rather than the biggest bag of Doritos...or a box of donuts(my 2 favorite awful foods which I never eat in moderation). When I minimized the calorie damage, I was able to keep losing weight even though I was still occasionally responding to emotional events by eating. I also take my inspiring diet books when travelling. I read them at night.

onebyone, have a great day and make an *appointment* with your bike if you have time...to the corner store and back counts!

Anne(wyndranne),I hope got some rest and are on the mend. Yes, Hurray for bikes!

ChinaMaine, it must be beautiful where you live..I love Loons. I had never seen one until I lived in Alaska.

Nuxmaga, thanks for posting about your session-what an interesting insight about unplanned eating.

gardenerjoy, *credit* for following your mental plan.

Beverlyjoy, I chuckled...if I threw away treats we'd go broke. I have a cupboard for his treats that I NEVER open! My DH isn't intuitive, he says he is on a "seafood diet-he sees food, he eats it."lol Take care during this painful time.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #270  

Hi coaches/friends -

Yesterday was very healthy - however - I did eat extra and unplanned food after dinner. Yesterday was my weigh day. For years I was in the habit of overeating the night I weighed in. I've been able to change that behavior for the past several months. But - the past two weeks on weigh in day, I have eaten extra on that evening. This must stop. I hate that food can have that hold on me. It's kind of that 'crazy thinking' that I have a whole week to make up for eating extra. But - I will carry on and plan for a healthy day and aim for the willingness to use the Beck techniques to make it a sane food day. It's a credit, I guess, to come and admit I did overeat last night. Maybe this is too much information, but, this is what my response card for travel says.

I did do some things right until after dinner.

eat seated - most of the time
planned food - wrote down what I ate - until after dinner
lots of water
ate too fast all day long
read/arc and rc
fork down - some of the time
no spontaneous exercise
tasted food - alot of the time

Lexxiss - your quote today is perfect for me too. It reminds me that, while I should plan for the future, I only need to concentrate on today. Good for you...taking your op foods with you!

bill - I agree - I think you and so many us here at 3fc and beck know alot about food, nutrition, and tools for healthful livng. It's the living it that has always been my/our struggle. Gosh....if I let dh serve my food - I'd have twice as much as I need. LOL

nuxmaga - I too learned at an early age that food could soothe and address my feelings. It's a tangled web to crawl out of...but, with time we/you can make good progress! I am glad your therapist understand the beck principles.

onebyone - it's a joyous day when you get your bike out of the basement...loved hearing the story. MAJOR CREDIT Yes, do take your paints. credit for NOT eating the pizza....GREAT

ceejay - I feel your pain...but, you are posting here....that's major Plus - playing with 6 or 7 pounds is better than gaining alot. You can regroup...you will. As far as the going out of town. I've been out of town alot in the past four months and what helped me was reading the chapter in beck on Preparing for Travel. I made a detailed response card with all the bullet points in that chapter and read it a couple times a day before I left and when I was on the road. I hope this isn't too much information, but - maybe seeing what I wrote on my response card could possibly help (I hope):

Prepare for Travel
-Make a travel plan about a week ahead with a diet strategy. Some ideas: 1. Allow yourself a few hundred extra calories a day. 2. Follow your usual plan every day but add some minor splurges on a few occasions. 3. Follow your plan every day except for a splurge on the last day.
-If your rules are too strict, you might get fed up and abandon your plan all together.
How not to gain too much.
-Exercise more.
-Each brunch instead of breakfast.
-Carry food with you.
-Use strategies you’ve already learned. - Take your book. Differentiate between cravings and hunger. Anti-craving techniques. How to handle a slip up. Food pushers. Eating out.
Trip Home - try an follow your predetermined plan. Be ready to face the scale. Remind yourself that you’ll soon be back in your food comfort zone. Plan ahead what you will eat the first couple of days home. Contact your diet coach when you get home.
ST - I won’t have control over the food. HR - But, I’ve developed a strategy to get through it. I will bring my diet notebook. ST - I’ve been good - I deserve to eat what I want. HR It’s not all or nothing. Don’t have deprive myself of everything - I can still eat some special foods. I’ll be happy when I get on the scale if I keep it together and havn’t gained five pounds. ST It’s not fair - I want to eat whatever I want on vacation. HR- That’s true. It isn’t fair - but, you can’t have it both ways. I’ve worked hard to lose this weight and don’t want to lose ground.

Of course not every thing fits with each trip. But, These thoughts helped me alot as I traveled for almost 3 weeks in the past four months. What helped me the most was knowing I could add a couple hundred calories to my day, if I wanted to.

(folks, please let me know if posting my response card stuff is too much information!)

gardenerjoy - not writing down a plan, but eating like you did is an amazing credit, I think. I guess it means it's sinking in. YAY

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 04-22-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Closed Thread