Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #1  
starting over again

S/C/G: 204.6/197.8/150

Default Atkins again.....

I did Atkins a few years back and was really happy with the results. Unfortunately I decided to switch over to low calorie and gained it all back. I have attempted low carb a couple times but didn't seem to have much weight loss. I then gave up. I am not giving up now.

I was wondering if there were any other repeat Atkins dieters here. How has the diet been different for you now?

What kinds of snacks have you been eating?

Any quick and easy meals you like?

I am Windy and happy to meet you all!
Windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Height: 5'7"

Welcome Windy!
I did atkins back in 04, lost around 80 lbs, was a few pounds from my goal weight, then found out I was pregnant. After that life got in the way, had a few rough patches and gained it all back. Since then, I had tried atkins a few times along with a lot of other diets, and atkins seems to be the one I can stick with long term. Started again back on Jan. 1, and I'm down 101 lbs. Seems to be coming off just as easy as the first time, only this time its staying off!
I've been eating lots of boiled eggs, wings, and tuna lately. LOVE tuna patties, they are delish.
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Windy I'm back to Atkins also - into 2nd week - around 7 lbs lost. I'm having better results this time - but this time I have avoided most franken foods. I eat sorta primal/Atkins. Meat, veg, a little dairy, no grains, butter/EVOO/animal fat for fats, eggs. Very little nuts. My exceptions to the "plans" is occasional Atkins shakes and diet soda. I'm trying to get soda down to 2/day - I'm down to 3/day and stuck. Stress is playing a big part in that, but I think an extra soda is not worse than a binge.

The first time I did Atkins I had the best results I've ever had dieting. Almost made it to Onderland for the first time in a decade. Convenience became a factor, diet slipped away while I promised myself I'd get back on it. Gained weight back.

Last time I did Atkins my results were, um, anticlimactic. I had lots of low carb deserts, packaged stuff, cheese and nuts. I believe I had a lot of sugar alcohols/substitutes, and low carb "grain" products. I didn't miss a thing, I found a way to incorporate lots of versions of regular foods. I lost very little and struggled the whole way. I gained the weight back, and through medications, even more.

Good luck, you're in the right place. For the record, I don't think a little franken food is too bad, I think depending on it daily is.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #4  
starting over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by startanew View Post
Welcome Windy!
I did atkins back in 04, lost around 80 lbs, was a few pounds from my goal weight, then found out I was pregnant. After that life got in the way, had a few rough patches and gained it all back. Since then, I had tried atkins a few times along with a lot of other diets, and atkins seems to be the one I can stick with long term. Started again back on Jan. 1, and I'm down 101 lbs. Seems to be coming off just as easy as the first time, only this time its staying off!
I've been eating lots of boiled eggs, wings, and tuna lately. LOVE tuna patties, they are delish.
Hi there my new low carb friend! I am amazed at how well you are doing! You are giving me hope. I have been eating egg salad, Chicken Caesar salads, and lots of veggies. I did make Oopsy Buns for burgers. I'm not a fish fan but I do like shrimp and veggies together. I too found that Atkins was the only way for me to lose weight. I like low calorie but the carbs keep me hungry. The nice thing about Atkins is I am not hungry. Congrats to you!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #5  
starting over again

Hi Arkansas Kel,

Congrats on getting back to low carb and for your weight loss!! I am on day 5 and down 4.4 lbs. Was hoping to get to Onederland today but no such luck. I agree with you about the "frankenfoods." I used to drink the shakes and eat the bars. I haven't had any yet and I am hoping to stay away from them. I remember eating the low carb ice cream and loving it! I now eat meat, seafood, lc veggies, eggs, and some cheese. I don't really like cheese too much but I have included it since I took out so many other foods. If it stalls me I will give that up too.

I gave up my caffeine free diet coke. I read some report recently that said that aspertame reacted with your body the same way as sugar does. Who knows if that is true or not. I decided to give it up and see if I actually can. I am drinking 64 oz of water per day. THAT is hard for me to do. I'm not a big fan of water but with the heat we've been having it's not too bad.

I have another reason for doing Atkins. I have Rosacea. No one could really tell for most of my life but it has been getting pretty red lately. There is no cure but you can treat some of the symptoms with medicine and laser surgery. I'm not a big fan of lasers on my face so I started reading more about it. Part of the disease is inflammatory and it seems that sugar is poison to it. Wouldn't you know it, sugar is poison. That makes sense to me. So I thought why not kill two birds with one stone! I would like to see if it helps my poor skin and I would like to lose weight.

Good luck and I hope to see you around here. I am pretty new on this forum. Is there any way to keep a journal and write in it daily? I did that on another forum and I think that helped me to lose all my weight. I became accountable because I was journaling, reading others' journals, and writing in theirs too. It was a lot of fun. Sadly, most of my friends are gone so I decided to start fresh on another forum.

WC
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #6  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

I lost 50lbs a couple of years ago on Atkins then went off plan when I got pregnant, I loved it and started again on August 1st. Its the only plan I've really felt great on. I haven't weighed in yet this time so not sure I've lost anything yet but on day 5 of induction and already feeling better.

I like to have some pre cooked meat like Burger patties or chicken handy to snack on or boiled eggs or tuna for on salads. Pickles are handy when craving something salty or crunchy. And I love that I can have hot-wings on this plan!

I'm also trying to avoid all the frankenfoods, limiting my splenda and cutting out the coke zero (my fave). Trying to cut back on the coffee too but not doing to well with that yet.

There is a blog feature you can use for journaling.

How long have you been doing it this time?
How's it going so far?

PZ
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #7  
starting over again

Hi PZ,

I started the same date as you, August 1st. I have lost 4.6 lbs but that seems to be the case in the first few days of induction.

I made some burgers this week and made extras for the following night. I made some Oopsy Buns. I found the recipe on The Lighter Side of Low Carb. I don't mind no buns but once in awhile it is nice to pick up a burger.

I agree about pickles and I am an olive fan. I try to limit them but they are great on salads.

Chicken wings sound great. I forgot there is this great wings place near me that has wings and no breading on them.

I agree about the frankenfoods. I used to have 3 low carb stores near me that had all kinds of low carb foods. There were a lot of frankenfoods there. They all closed down. I think the low carb fad kind of went away.

I try to stay away but I have a few staples like I have a low carb Cesar dressing I love and I have low carb ketchup. I don't eat the bars or drink the shakes but a few little things I don't think can hurt you too much.

I do want to eat more natural foods this time. 95% of my foods are meat, seafood, eggs, low carb veggies, 1-2 oz of cheese. I gave up my diet coke. I have only had water this week. I have to admit it is hard.

I am going to figure out where to start a blog around here. I can't find out exactly where. Do you have a blog? keep in touch. I would really like to meet some other low carbers. I don't know anyone doing it except my husband. I am glad he joined me.

WC
Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #8  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi windy, I do owl with atkins. I haven't been losing a lot of weight, but feel well and have stable blood sugars with this method. ( I am pre-diabetic, and monitor my sugars, and really feel it a lot if I have swings of blood sugars)
When I go to induction to lose weight, I have to be absolutely pure, and still will only lose a couple of pounds before I plateau. BUT, I am maintaining nicely, and not gaining with occasional cheats, and occasional days of higher carbs. So overall it is working, and don't worry if the weight doesn't peel off the way it did before. It will go over time and with patience.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/290/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Hi there my new low carb friend! I am amazed at how well you are doing! You are giving me hope. I have been eating egg salad, Chicken Caesar salads, and lots of veggies. I did make Oopsy Buns for burgers. I'm not a fish fan but I do like shrimp and veggies together. I too found that Atkins was the only way for me to lose weight. I like low calorie but the carbs keep me hungry. The nice thing about Atkins is I am not hungry. Congrats to you!
Thank you! Carbs definitely keep me hungry, and the 2 weeks I was on WW the cravings all came back big time. Most of my flex points were going towards sweet things, and I'm sure thats why I didn't lose weight on that diet lol.

Wings and also low carb pizza are a lifesaver for me, feels like a treat when I watch other dieters eating nothing but salad and chicken breast lol. I need to make some oopsy buns! Forgot about those! They would go great with my BLT's tonight.
startanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #10  
starting over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Hi windy, I do owl with atkins. I haven't been losing a lot of weight, but feel well and have stable blood sugars with this method. ( I am pre-diabetic, and monitor my sugars, and really feel it a lot if I have swings of blood sugars)
When I go to induction to lose weight, I have to be absolutely pure, and still will only lose a couple of pounds before I plateau. BUT, I am maintaining nicely, and not gaining with occasional cheats, and occasional days of higher carbs. So overall it is working, and don't worry if the weight doesn't peel off the way it did before. It will go over time and with patience.
Hi fatmad,

I just had a blood test on Wednesday and they are checking my sugar. I am not getting my results until early next week. I have a friend who is a Type 1 diabetic. She knows everything about low carb but moved away from me! I have been on it for 5 days and I am down 4.6 lbs. I can't remember if that's good or not. I am pretty strict on induction. I do use a bit of low carb ketchup. I think diet coke did me in the most when I have tried it here and there. 2 years ago when I lost weight and kept it off for a long time I didn't drink diet coke. It's forcing me to drink more water.

So how many carbs and what rung are you up to now on OWL?

WC
Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #11  
starting over again

Startanew,

Is your low carb pizza like a "meatza"? I remember using making that. Wow, I guess low carb is like riding a bike, you never really forget! Oh, wow, I just thought, I am so glad I am not riding a bike right now!!

Oopsies are good. My husband found another type of bun that is like oopsies but no egg separating. I will have to ask him about it. He changed our oopsy recipe and adds some flax to it to make them hold up a little better. We usually make 2-3 double batches and freeze them.

I read something that sounded good on here. Whopper and Big Mac with no buns. I think I will make one of those this weekend.

When I did this a couple hears ago I loved watching people on low calorie eat their tiny little meal when I was eating Angus rare roast beef and cheese rollups with mayo and big Caesar salads. They never knew how I lost any weight.

How do you eat BLTs without bread? As a salad?

WC
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #12  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

I don't have a blog but I've checked out a few others. There is a link on the purple bar at the top of the page where it says "free diet blogs", I think is is easy to sign up for one.

You are so lucky to have your husband joining you! My husband loves junk food and it is so tempting when I see him with it.

The whoopsy buns sound good. I'll have to look into making some.

I love your avatar!!
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #13  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

BLTs no bread? I chop romaine lettuce very fine into a salad bowl, crumble three or four slices of crisp bacon coarsely, add chopped tomato, and a dollop of mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir it around a little and enjoy. It's better if you drain your chopped tomato a little; otherwise, it's still delicious, but a little soupy at the bottom. I just finish that off with a spoon!

Last edited by sandyfanny; 08-06-2011 at 11:13 AM.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #14  
starting over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncezilla View Post
I don't have a blog but I've checked out a few others. There is a link on the purple bar at the top of the page where it says "free diet blogs", I think is is easy to sign up for one.

You are so lucky to have your husband joining you! My husband loves junk food and it is so tempting when I see him with it.

The whoopsy buns sound good. I'll have to look into making some.

I love your avatar!!
Hi PZ,

I see where they are now. Thanks. I was hoping you could start a thread and just write on that so others can write on it too. It was something they had on another forum and the forum was set up exactly like this one except they had room for people to put their own threads. It just made it easier for others to post in it too.

I am pretty lucky my husband is doing it too. He's a good sport and a good cook too.

Isn't that avatar cute! You know it's sugar free syrup on that snow cone.

The oopsy buns are great!

WC
Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #15  
starting over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
BLTs no bread? I chop romaine lettuce very fine into a salad bowl, crumble three or four slices of crisp bacon coarsely, add chopped tomato, and a dollop of mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir it around a little and enjoy. It's better if you drain your chopped tomato a little; otherwise, it's still delicious, but a little soupy at the bottom. I just finish that off with a spoon!
Sandy,

I am making that for brunch today!! I woke up pretty hungry and that looks like it will hit the spot! Thanks.

wc