Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/190/145

Height: 5' 2"

Question Acid reflux gone??

For the past few months, ok actually at least 6 months now I've had some pretty bad acid reflux most nights (I work nights and eat dinner around midnight or 1am) I was taking an over the counter acid reducer which helped a lot. Almost right away after starting Atkins, it has went away. I've only taken 2 or 3 pills in the past 3 weeks.
Has anyone else ever had the same problem/results??

Jenn
NoMoreNewClothes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I'm not on Atkins but I saw the title of this thread and had to comment. I have acid reflux issues too and have been waking up every morning needing food/water immediately because of the acid. Maybe I should try to cut back on carbs if this is working for you...
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #3  

Hi Indiblue, I never had acid reflux until recently when I gained so much weight. At your weight obviously it's not the cause of your acid reflux. You should definitely see your doctor about your symptoms.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #4  

yes, my reflux is gone with Atkins. you may have a gluten allergy that is causing your reflux and when you are doing Atkins you are not eating breads, at least that is the case for me. I'm glad it's gone! It's a miserable feeling having to deal with reflux and antacids daily!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

Yes, mine is gone too. I'm not sure if it is the weight loss, low carb diet or the combination of the two. But glad it is gone
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I've always had acid reflux, so even though mine is not weight-related, perhaps cutting carbs would a great idea. Doctors have diagnosed me with AR but just recommended taking an over-the-counter drug to curb it. I never even considered it could be related to a gluten allergy. Thank you all, especially the OP, for the suggestion and congratulations on your weight loss (and AR-loss!) success so far!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 238.4/231.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I had acid reflux literally as long as I could remember. Incidentally, I have also been overweight/obese as long as I can remember. I had a hiatal hernia, and the surgery to repair it, about 8 years ago, and until this year, was heartburn/AR free.
I don't know if it's because I started creeping back up near my highest ever weight, or the age of the repair, but I've been getting AR again lately. My theory is that I'm not eating a lot of the things that, for me, triggered it- no chocolate, no fruit, no bread, no milk (which made it better for about ten seconds, and then it was even worse)...so it makes sense to me that I'm not suffering anymore.
Plus, I'm really focused on getting enough water, which probably helps too.
MoodyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #8  

In the past I had indigestion, but acid reflux is a whole other thing. If I eat peppers (green, red, yellow) I will burp peppers for hours afterwards but that's not painful. I was getting acid reflux everyday, no matter what I ate, I didn't have any certain triggers. And water only seemed to make it worse. I'm so glad that it seems to be gone : )
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreNewClothes View Post
In the past I had indigestion, but acid reflux is a whole other thing. If I eat peppers (green, red, yellow) I will burp peppers for hours afterwards but that's not painful. I was getting acid reflux everyday, no matter what I ate, I didn't have any certain triggers. And water only seemed to make it worse. I'm so glad that it seems to be gone : )
Isn't it wonderful that it's gone? I love not having to deal with that now!
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #10  

LeslieLou, It is amazing to not have that horrible burning in my throat and ears!! It's such a relief to be eating the things that I want (cause seriously meat veggies and cheese were always my favorites anyway) and feeling better, even before much weight has come off : )