Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #1  
Multi-tasking is fun

S/C/G: 200/188/150

Height: 5'9

Default Hello and an introduction

Hi Everyone,

I typically post in 30-something forum. But I need to be more focused on my eating style so best to switch over to the Atkins board. I really appreciate the support and suggestions here - I've learned so much from all of you already!

By way of introduction, I'm 35-ish, mother of two-under-five and I have a research/teaching position at a university. In Feb 2010 we figured out that I am celiac and have a problem with lactose. I've been completely "grain and dairy free" since June. I started to reintroduce low-lactose dairy in December with mixed results. Between Feb - August 2010, my weight dropped by 15lbs.

To be "healthy", according to my pro-Atkins doctor, I need to lose another 20-25 lbs. She also expects me to build in more exercise, which I love but often don't do because of work and family time constraints.....

I started Atkins Induction four days ago and love it. I don't miss the grains. My current battles are with:
- Getting the required water and daily mixed greens in. I love salad but it's really cold here and I want warm food!
- How to deal with my mid-afternoon I-WANT-CHOCOLATE-RIGHT-NOW! urge.

I haven't lost any weight yet but it's TOM so will wait a few days to see.

Looking forward to learning from all of you!

B.
BrainBabiesBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Hi B!

Welcome to the Atkins board, and congrats on your loss so far!! Great work

I'm glad to hear you are loving Induction. The vegetables are incredibly important to get in, so you can get enough fiber in your day. If you notice, the "salad" vegetables list includes things that can be cooked, like bell pepper and mushrooms, and things that can be put in soup like celery! You don't *have* to actually eat salads on Atkins. In fact, you will get more dietary fiber if you concentrate on the non-salad greens in the "salad" list. Also once you get past induction and move to OWL, you get more flexibility in eating the vegetables you want.

Water is also INCREDIBLY important. A keto diet has a strong diuretic effect, and we get dehydrated very quickly. For me I know when I'm in ketosis because I just can't stop drinking water, I am so thirsty. So there's more of a reason for us to drink water on Atkins than just the "water is good for you" reasoning. We need it more. Aim for at least 70oz per day, but some people find they lose better with more water.

Hope that helps, and welcome!
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217.5/201/160

Height: 5'4"

Welcome B! I too live in cold climate (Chicago) so I can relate to wanting the warm foods. You will find that after you have been on this program for a while, you will adapt well to the lack there of. I have found a yummy recipe for cauliflower soup, so that has helped me get over the winter chills.

Good luck on your journey, and dont ever forget you are not alone!
amberbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #4  
Multi-tasking is fun

Thanks for the welcome amberbrown and abluvion. I'm looking at my desk with its afternoon coffee sitting there... calling my name.... I'm going to pitch it right now and replace with water. And cauliflower soup sounds divine!

Cheers,
B.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Brainbabiesbe! There's a homemade, super-simple creamy tomato soup posted on the "Recipes from 'What's for Dinner'" site you might enjoy in this cold weather. This is a soup everyone will enjoy...with grilled cheese sandwiches for the little ones and Linda's Low Carb cheese crispies for you. In fact, we have sleet and snow here...rare on the Carolina coast...and I'm making the creamy tomato soup tomorrow.

Enjoy and post often!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #6  

Don't discount the "warm salads" - wilted leaf lettuce or spinach with a hot dressing of bacon drippings, vinegar, and Splenda (salt and pepper to taste).
firkindness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #7  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi there and welcome
The gals here are real friendly and helpful. Hugs and support on your Atkins weight loss journey

Judy
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I second firkindness' suggestion -- hot salad add-ins! You could make a taco salad without the tacos -- ground seasoned meat (and drippings) served on a bed of lettuce. Actually, anything that you might have once served on a bed of rice can probably be served on a bed of greens. I've put chicken stir fry on it.

Regarding the wilted salads -- I used to make a Korean wilted spinach salad that could be eaten hot or cold. The normal recipe uses sugar though, and you would have to use some of your Splenda allocation on it. I haven't tried adapting the recipe yet but maybe someone else has.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #9  
closed

S/C/G: 227.5/217.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Default I'm a newbie to this thread too...

...and I am also on induction: Day 2 for me. I agree with putting hot foods on a bed of lettuce! One of my favorites is ground meat, seasoned and over salad greens. Blue cheese dressing optional! Love love love it.
I tend to eat very very simple, and that is why Atkins appeals to me; I don't need fancy recipes, just give me some eggs, veggies, meats and cheese and I am good to go.

I am considering starting an ongoing thread for those ofus who are on induction/just starting out. I think it would be good to have a strong support thread to help us stay focused.

Join me?

~ flamanette ~
Flamanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #10  
Multi-tasking is fun

Oh, warm salads. What a great idea! I'm craving "taco" right now... thanks for the dinner idea!

And yes, an induction thread would be most useful.

B.