Old 01-23-2011, 04:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Default Raw eggs for breakfast!

While searching for shake recipes, I stumbled across a large thread from a year or two ago on the Atkins forums about an Induction-friendly breakfast shake. There were pages upon pages of people ranting and raving about how delicious the shake was and how they were all experimenting with different flavors. Well, the shake was actually just raw eggs, a dash of cream, Splenda and cinnamon mixed in the blender until frothy like the consistency of milk or eggnog.

I love eggnog probably more than anyone I know and used to be able to down a gallon in a day before starting this WOE, but the idea of actually mixing the raw eggs myself grosses me out. Has anyone ever made homemade egg shakes before? I read that it tastes like eggnog and you can modify it to taste like a vanilla milkshake or pretty much anything depending on flavorings. I think this would be a great way to make breakfast because I hate cleaning up the kitchen in the morning and I've recently become addicted to my magic bullet blender.

PS: I know the risks of consuming raw eggs, so please leave that discussion out of this thread. Thank you!

Last edited by Linsy; 01-23-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I personally have not made eggnog from scratch, but my MIL used to make one for herself every morning. I know she doesn't have one every day now, but she still does sometimes. I think she just uses eggs, milk, vanilla and sugar.

Last edited by yoyoma; 01-23-2011 at 04:41 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/187/140

Height: 5ft4.5in

Ohh...I LOVE eggnog!! Let me know how this tastes!!
BrenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #4  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

I've made a sugar-free eggnog during the holidays for a friend who is diabetic and loves it. I love it, too, but my eggnog is made from a cooked custard base of eggs, heavy cream / water. And we add a "floater" of Black Jack...not so cool for breakfast or Induction. It's absolutely delicious; I could drink a quart, but it's way over the Induction allowance of heavy cream. I put it in the category of super-special "It's my dinner" treat.

As for a morning egg shake, it seems to me you'd need to use much more heavy cream (even if you dilute it with water) than we're allowed on Induction to make it taste like anything except raw egg. And I wouldn't like that texture either...egg whites slidin' around. And, if we're trying to stay close to Induction, milk and milk substitutes are out.

But what do I know? Maybe not. I'll search around for a recipe; I'm up for anything that's Induction friendly, quick, and NO BIG CLEAN-UP.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Raw eggs are never a good idea.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #6  
Less Juicey

Here's a link from an Atkins board:

http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...breakfast.html

And one from Sugar-Free Sheila's site (scroll down to the Easy Breakfast Shake):

http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/RecipesPage.html

The Low Carb Friends people call them "Egg Creams":

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...eam-ideas.html

They must be good; lots of low carbers seem to love them.

Last edited by sandyfanny; 01-23-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

This is my favorite Induction friendly shake

Atkins Friendly Pumpkin Shake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is SOOOOOOOO good...tastes just like pumpkin pie I found the recipe on another low carb site

1/3 cup Pumpkin - frozen
1/4 cup Heavy Cream - frozen
1 Egg
2 teaspoons Splenda
1/4 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 cup Water

Mix this all up in the blender until thoroughly blended. Enjoy!!!
4.7 carbs

It's simple to make and all you have to clean up is the blender & a few measuring spoons & cups

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #8  
Less Juicey

Thanks, JerseyGyrl. That sounds delicious; I think the pumpkin will take away the "egg white slidin' around issue" I might have, as well as thickening the shake, adding fiber, veggies, and taste.

I could keep pumpkin and cream in the freezer, already measured into the recipe amounts and just pop them in the blender when I want a shake.

Last edited by sandyfanny; 01-23-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyfanny View Post
I could keep pumpkin and cream in the freezer, already measured into the recipe amounts and just pop them in the blender when I want a shake.
Thats what I do
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #10  

Sandy, I had the concern that it would be slimy like pre-cooked scrambled eggs too, but many posters insisted that once it's blended long enough until frothy, its not slimy and much more like the consistency of milk. They were only using the daily Induction allowance of cream and a teaspoon or two of Splenda plus a dash of cinnamon. I think I'm going to try to get myself past the "raw eggs" mentality and try it--most healthy people can consume raw eggs without any problem, and the chance of getting salmonella is extremely low. It'd probebly also be great with a dash of Da Vinci/Torani syrup instead of Splenda...my orange flavor might make it taste like an orange dream popsicle, and I'm actually planning on getting an eggnog flavor at some point.

Jerseygyrl, that shake looks yummy. I love pumpkin.

Last edited by Linsy; 01-23-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #11  

Here's the thread where they're all discussing the shake, there's lots of great reviews and recipes: http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...breakfast.html

SO...I sucked it up and made one. 2 eggs, cream, and a few splashes of Torani vanilla syrup. I added more cream and syrup than allowed to get me "used" to it so my head wasn't worried about flavor and texture...and I must say it is very, very good. It TASTES great...my mind is still screaming "YOU'RE EATING RAW EGGS! GROSS!' but it does taste a bit like a mixture between a vanilla milkshake and eggnog. No sliminess, by the way. It became smooth and frothy much like milk. I blended it in my Magic Bullet for about 30 seconds.

I don't think I'll make this again. I feel queasy, probably because of my weak stomach.

Use raw eggs at your own risk!

Last edited by Linsy; 01-23-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

There is a risk of salmonella with raw eggs.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If salmonella risk is a concern, you might try finding a provider of local eggs near you. Less transport plus free range plus less-cramped quarters reduces salmonella risk considerably. I know you said you didn't want discussion on the raw egg part, but free-range eggs tend to have a slightly better vitamin/nutrient profile as well.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
There is a risk of salmonella with raw eggs.
I never said there wasn't. I said the risk was very small, which it is.

mandalinn: Thank you for the info. I don't think I'll be making the egg shake again anyway, it wasn't really for me. I also read that it can be made using eggbeaters instead so I'll probably do that if I ever want to make it again in the future.

Last edited by Linsy; 01-23-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 PM   #15  

Was listening to a paleo podcast, and he talked about downing 3-4 raw egg yolks (just the yolks) as part of his breakfast. I'm just not sure I could bring myself to do that, though. Although I said that once about sashimi as well ...

The shake is an interesting idea, though.
Athenacapella is offline   Reply With Quote