Old 02-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default Don't try this for dessert!

One night I felt like something on the sweeter side but wasn't in the mood to microwave an egg, add the goodies so instead I peeled a hard boiled egg I had in the fridge and added Walden's SF pancake syrup and cinnamon, yuck!!

Never again will I eat that! Live and learn right? LOL! That's what I got for being lazy, ha, ha!
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #2  

I did something really similiar, I mixed an egg with cream cheese and a pkt. of splenda, but didn't blend it very well. Microwaved it and topped it with sugar free syrup. GAG....sf syrup on eggs, was not good. Although, my dog ate it once it cooled. He's such a good boy.
LisaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #3  
Re-newbie

S/C/G: 161/139/128

Height: 5'4"

Ew...

but very creative!
firefly68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Hahaha! You guys are making me chuckle.

I remember years ago that my husband brought home some sort of egg McMuffin-type things....and I had one and thought a container of pancake syrup had leaked into it....it was horrible...I hate pancake syrup on anything like eggs/sausage/bacon......gaaahh! I remember examining the wrapping, puzzled at night finding it sticky with syrup.

A few months later, he brought them home again and I bit into one and Yuck! Then I got suspicious.....and asked why it tasted like pancake syrup had leaked into it and he told me they were making them like that now....with or without. So I always made sure after that to check breakfast sandwiches.....because that sweet maple taste was gross in an egg McMuffin, IMO.

However, I have seen folks put their eggs and bacon on top of a stack of pancakes and cover the whole thing with syrup. Always thought it was disgusting then too. But then again, I LOVE ketchup on eggs and that grosses some people out.

I don't think it's so much the sweet, actually....as I love things like sweet and sour chicken, etc.....but more due to the maple flavor. To me it's disgusting on anything but pancakes, waffles or french toast....or in some type of sweet dessert where you might use it like you would molasses or brown sugar.
Generally though, I don't like mixing sweet and savory together.

Toby and LisaSue....have you tried just softening some (an ounce or two) cream cheese and mixing it with splenda and either plain cocoa powder or else lemon juice/cinnamon? Instant cheese cake and you don't even have to microwave it. Add a tsp. of sour cream and it's even better.
You can also buy Emerald brand "cocoa roasted almonds"....they are almonds dusted with cocoa powder and just a touch of artificial sweetener and are great for a quick sweet snack.

If you want to microwave some sort of quick cheesecake-type thing, I would think that the main ingredient would be the cream cheese with maybe some cottage/farmer cheese and/or sour cream added.....and THEN the egg just to bind it...plus flavorings and Splenda. The egg would just be a supporting role and the cream cheese/cottage or sour cream would be the main character/ingredient. And I'd never put syrup on it....the Splenda should do it.

deena

Last edited by Deena52; 02-22-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Oh, no! LOL! I will be sure never to try that! I don't even like hard-boiled eggs! I like soft scrambled eggs (runny) or an omelette (again runny) but no hard-cooked eggs at all!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #6  

Deena52, thanks for the suggestions. I was attempting to make the mock danish, which I have successfully before, but not this morning. I like syrup kinda "pooling" around my bacon or sausage when I would have pancakes, but if you put an egg in there somewhere, where it's not blended/mixed in...I'm going to have to pass.
I have never seen putting eggs, sausage, over a stack of pancakes. But...I love ketchup with my eggs. I know certain restaurants, people have looked at me like I'm a little weird.
I love hearing about "odd" concoctions people put together and eat. Actually that would be a good thread to start. "What odd foods (LC) do you put together and is it a good recipe or not?"

If you go to www.thisiswhyyouarefat.com (I think that's the link) and see the heart clogging, heart stopping things people come up with, a little ketchup on eggs is nothing. Some of the food is disgusting looking, and well, others, might taste it, but...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #7  

Deena52, thanks for the suggestions. I was attempting to make the mock danish, which I have successfully before, but not this morning. I like syrup kinda "pooling" around my bacon or sausage when I would have pancakes, but if you put an egg in there somewhere, where it's not blended/mixed in...I'm going to have to pass.
I have never seen putting eggs, sausage, over a stack of pancakes. But...I love ketchup with my eggs. I know certain restaurants, people have looked at me like I'm a little weird.
I love hearing about "odd" concoctions people put together and eat. Actually that would be a good thread to start. "What odd foods (LC) do you put together and is it a good recipe or not?"

If you go to www. thisiswhyyouarefat. com (I think that's the link) and see the heart clogging, heart stopping things people come up with, a little ketchup on eggs is nothing. Some of the food is disgusting looking, and well, others, might taste it, but...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #8  

It's www. thisiswhyyourefat .com
I just checked it out and I already have a queasy stomach.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #9  

GAAAHHH!!

The Morning Glory

Sausage, egg and cheese sandwiched inside a glazed cinnamon roll

and:

Picnic Popsicles

Bacon cheeseburger chunks, ketchup, mustard and onion frozen in strawberry KoolAid.

The photos on that site are making me nauseous too! Just the massive sizes of some of them and all the ingredients piled into one dish. But the ones that are gagging me the most are when they mix the savory with the sweet.....bacon cheeseburger chunks and ketchup frozen in strawberry kool-aid? Blecchh!!

deena
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

LOL! I originally got the "scrambled egg" recipe from somewhere (I think this is the mock danish) and I make this quite a bit when I want something on the sweeter side but not too filling (like late at night).. I was just too lazy.

What I do is first butter a microwave safe cup, add 1 egg, mix it up, microwave it for 20 seconds or so, check it, put it back until it starts to get solid, when done, I sprinkle a tiny bit of cinnamon and the Walden's SF Pancake Syrup and it really tastes great! It can be made with the cream cheese as well but I am still not using cream cheese as that's one of my stallers.

It's really good if made right, but not with a hard boiled egg, LOL! Tasted totally different.. Ewwwwwwwww!

Funny, before I started Atkins I had no desire for anything sweet. I was getting all my sugar from bad carbs so I never desired anything sweet until I started this diet! Duh
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #11  

I saw some of the photos and I started laughing, thinking if you see these, you're going to gag.

Frozen picnic popcicles....isn't there a blue smiley guy barfing? I need to find him.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #12  

Hey Deena, I know you don't like savory and sweet...I hate the word "chunks". Ugh....blue smiley barf guy.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyThin View Post
LOL! I originally got the "scrambled egg" recipe from somewhere (I think this is the mock danish) and I make this quite a bit when I want something on the sweeter side but not too filling (like late at night).. I was just too lazy.

What I do is first butter a microwave safe cup, add 1 egg, mix it up, microwave it for 20 seconds or so, check it, put it back until it starts to get solid, when done, I sprinkle a tiny bit of cinnamon and the Walden's SF Pancake Syrup and it really tastes great! It can be made with the cream cheese as well but I am still not using cream cheese as that's one of my stallers.
Hmmm....I wonder, maybe cream cheese is stalling me too? Would cream (heavy cream for coffee also)?
I've been reading the threads, Atkins 72 and I need to get serious again and try that instead of DANDR right now. At least maybe it will put me back in gear and focused again.

It's really good if made right, but not with a hard boiled egg, LOL! Tasted totally different.. Ewwwwwwwww!

Funny, before I started Atkins I had no desire for anything sweet. I was getting all my sugar from bad carbs so I never desired anything sweet until I started this diet! Duh
I'm noticing the same thing. I need to get serious again, because before I know it, summer will be here and I'll be hiding in long shorts again. If I don't get serious again, I'll be kicking myself in another few months.

This is a great site. I'm so glad I found it.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #14  

LisaSue....I can totally relate to what you just wrote here. There have been multiple occasions where I've slowed down or even stalled.....and it was usually due to me becoming a bit too liberal with certain items....usually something I'd add and then gradually be using too frequently or too much of.

Then I'd have a lightbulb-over-the-head moment and realize that it was foolish to be following the plan so strictly and then blowing it with too much or over-use of just one item. That's another reason I stay away from making anything sweet. I only do that cream cheese/Splenda thing on very rare occasions. I also ran into trouble with the Atkins bars while on maintenance years ago and dropped them too.

Most trouble-shooting is required when someone misunderstands or is doing the plan incorrectly in some way. But generally, once a person has been on Atkins and knows what they need to eat to be successful......they can usually figure out quite quickly what item they added in or that they've been using too much of....that's caused a slow-down or a stall.

Hehe.....in fact, most of the times I did this, I already knew I was pushing the boundaries and that it was risky....and was just waiting to see if it showed on the scale.....which it always did. Then it was simply a matter of getting real with myself and asking myself if it was worth it....and did I really want to be doing this.

If you have a vague suspicion that something might be risky or might be causing a stall or slow-down....it usually is, I've found.
But if you've cleaned-up every risk you can think of and are still encountering problems, then having trouble-shooting done here is the best next step.

deena
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #15  

That really makes a lot of sense. I cut back (will cut out) the cream cheese/mock danish. I also need to back off the amount of cream in my coffee. Even though it says 0 carbs, apparently there's a reason we're allowed (is it 4) Tblsp. per day? I cut out cheese, that too seems to cause me to stall, gain.
So, I'm thinking, if I cut out all cheeses/mock danish/sweet, hopefully I can still have 2 Tbls. cream and one splenda in my coffee. If the scale doesn't budge, then I'll drop that too. I used to drink coffee black, but since I "thought" I could add cream, (although not as much as I have been), the coffee w/cream made it feel like a treat. A ha....and there it is. Light bulb just went off, it's causing the sweet cravings, so I make the mock danish.
Back to square one again. Maybe, just maybe, I can figure my mistakes out.